Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best Single Malt?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What Single Malt Scotch Should I Buy?

Lagavulin 16
32%
Ardeg Uigeadail
8%
Talisker 10
5%
Talisker 18
5%
Balvenie 12
5%
Macallan 12
3%
Ardbeg 10
11%
Highland Park 12
11%
Highland Park 18
11%
Other (please list)
11%

Total votes : 38

Best Single Malt?

Postby DanielKoons » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:21 pm

I am quite new to Whisky and Scotch and I love it. I currently have:
Jameson
Michael Collins
Maker's Mark
Southern Comfort
Jack Daniel's
Johnnie Walker Green
I am wanting a Single Malt Scotch
DanielKoons

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:19 pm

All of the above. It would be rude not to! (Sorry, DK, that's our little catch phrase around here.)

Welcome to the forum, and to our little obsession. I'm not so sure that it matters which one you try first, as long as you keep in mind that there is a great variety to be had--if one thing doesn't appeal, another may well. From your list, Highland Park or Balvenie might give you the best introduction to what single malts are about; then you will want to try something heavily sherried, like Macallan, and something heavily peated, like Lagavulin or Ardbeg. Then you will spend the rest of your life filling in the spaces!
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:46 pm

I voted Highland Park 12, not because it is my favourite out of the list but because it is just a great whisky that is very approachable, I think they call it the all rounder of malts. Further it is quite affordable so that it won't be a costly mistake in comparison to some others you have listed but I reckon it will not be a mistake.

:thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:17 pm

You made a helluva list. I enjoy them all. :D I'd suggest working your way through them. If there is a local bar or if a nearby store has some miniatures, this will allow you to try some to decide whether you need a full bottle to more fully explore the whisky. :smoke:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:49 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I voted Highland Park 12, not because it is my favourite out of the list but because it is just a great whisky that is very approachable, I think they call it the all rounder of malts. Further it is quite affordable so that it won't be a costly mistake in comparison to some others you have listed but I reckon it will not be a mistake.

:thumbsup:

Ditto. Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Talisker are strong tasting whiskies and may take you time to grow into. I would go for something flavoursome but approachable like HP or Macallan.
Dangerous_Dave

Postby Ardbeg311 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:42 am

Take two very respected drams: Highland Park 18 and Talisker 18 (both, perhaps, more risk free than say a Laphroaig 10yo CS and an Ardbeg Uigeadail comparison) and spend time discovering what these malts have to offer. You also can do this with two bottles from the same distillery like the Talisker 10 + 18! If you are serious about this you will have to sample everything from your list anyways.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Thanks

Postby DanielKoons » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:15 am

I have really fallen in love with whisky I have had the Macallan 12 and liked it a alot first single malt I have had. I have composed the list above from "research" from the forum and ratings from this web page.

Thanks a lot for all you input, give me all you want or can,
DanielKoons

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:22 am

For me, it has to be a toss up between- Loch Dhu , Deanston, Littlemill, Old Rhosdhu, and Old Fettercarin. :wink:

In all seriousness, any an your list is well worth trying. In fact, even the ones I have mentioned above, my least favorites, have been joys to try. Its a great hobby/adventure trying new malts..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:52 am

I'd look at the tasting notes on this site and see what interests you most in terms of flavours..... then narrow it down and choose a malt. Just remember that malts are all so different and that if you get a malt that does not 'do it' for you, don't be put off, try something else.
If possible, grab some minis and/or go to a pub and try a couple whiskies.... if you can't, then read tasting notes and plunge in. :)

Also, I'd not worry about trying a 'lighter' malt first, I say go for it and try whatever seems tasty even if it's a big peat monster. :thumbsup:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:57 am

Lagavulin 16yo is very commonly the whisky that makes people love malts.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:34 am

its got to be the ardbeg 10yo... aint that right nick :wink:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:36 am

in all seriousness though, the hp18yo is brilliant, but over here its about the equivelent of $120 a bottle where as you can get about 3 hp 12yos for that, so if your new, plump for the hp12 due to costs, even though the 18yo is better, but not sure if its three times better than the 12yo though :thumbsup:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Feldrin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:59 am

Welcome!

If you haven't had any whisky from Islay yet, get the Lagavulin 16. Might be a bit expensive though. Ardbeg 10y is, I think, not as good as the Lagavulin but for a price of €36 euro's a liter it's quite a lot cheaper compared to the Lagavulin; and it's a very good whisky on its own anyway. Other Islay whiskies you might want to try are the Laphroaig 10y (hell of a lot of smoke), something from Bowmore (seems to be an aquired taste but I like em) and perhaps the Caol Ila, which I find to be a very subtle whisky with not that much peat.

Talisker is a very good choice as well. But what you also might want to try, sooner or later anyway, is some cask strength whisky. Heck, since I love heavily peated whiskies (Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin) the only way I really enjoyed the Caol Ila was when it was at cask strength. You can add water to dilute a cask strength a bit but I quite like them with very little water. Something you'll have to find out for yourself.

Also, if you're going on with the single malts, a good glass helps a lot with nosing the whisky. I used to only have...well, crap glasses, stuff like those little tumblers. Then I switched over to a wine glass, which didn't feel alright but it helped with the nose. After that a couple of Glencairn glasses came with a bottle of Talisker 10y and I really love them.

Anyway, whatever you buy, I doubt it'll be a waste. Even if you don't quite like a certain whisky, it might still grow on you and if you not, well then at least you'll know what you don't like.
Feldrin

Postby bond » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:25 am

bamber wrote:Lagavulin 16yo is very commonly the whisky that makes people love malts.

This has most certainly aroused my curiosity. My experience has shown me that more than half the populace has an aversion to strongly peated whiskies. The one that has given me the most consistent appreciation is Glenlivet.
bond
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:47 am

Sure - I drink more Glenlivet that Lagavulin too, but I never really 'got' single malts until I'd tried the peaty ones and I think that is a common experience.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Steve Rush » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Lag 16 all the way. As allready mentioned if you haven't tried it yet it will get you hooked when you do :D
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:36 pm

bamber wrote:I never really 'got' single malts until I'd tried the peaty ones and I think that is a common experience.

It agrees to my experience (with Laphroaig 10 yo); at the beginning it's more important than an "all rounder" malt.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Thanks so much

Postby DanielKoons » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:03 pm

This is an awesome forum. After reading your responses last night I was dead set on the Lagavulin 16, but once I convinced my wife to let me spend $80 dollars, I had to promise I wouldn't buy another bottle for a little while. So after that, at the store I debated for a while and ended up going with two bottles: Highland Park and Glenfiddich 12. I really like them both. I will still get the Lagavulin, but I will probably get one from each area of Scotland.

Thanks so much, you guys are awesome.
DanielKoons

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:36 pm

Well just as long as you enjoyed them that's all that counts .... and of course there is the rest of your life to discover more ....

What do you make of the Michael Collins? is it the blend or the single malt version....

I'm courious to you thoughts whether good or bad ....
irishwhiskeychaser

Michael Collins /Scotland

Postby DanielKoons » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Michael Collins is Irish Whiskey, my first whisky was Jameson, and that made me fall in love with Whisky and now I am moving down the line. Michael Collins is great, it is a smoother more refined Irish Whisky in comparision to Jameson.

I am now trying to compose a list or recommendation for Campbeltown, Lowland and Highlands minus Speyside region. (is Speyside classifed as Highlands or by itself) Any recommendations please say.
DanielKoons

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:15 am

Speyside is in the Highlands, but is considered a region unto itself. But don't get too hung up on the regions--it's a very loose system of classification.

Lagavulin was my first love, and there are lots of drinkers who are first grabbed by peat monsters--it's impossible to predict whether any particular person will be so affected, you just have to try for yourself. Some don't like them at first, but grow into them, and others never acquire the taste. (The stereotype is that it's more a man's thing than a woman's, but that should be taken with a grain of salt.) Me, I was a peat 'n' smoke fiend for a long time, but hardly ever drink that kind of stuff now.
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:34 am

For me:

Out of the list I would pick the Talisker 18yo

Followed very closely by the Laug 16yo (very good)

But the real choice would be the OTHER, right now being the Mortlach 50yo.

Welcome to the forum,
Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Scotched » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:15 pm

On the list provided I'd go for the Laga 16 but I voted other because I think the Laphroaig 10 cask strength is just ahead in quality and much better value.

The Lagavulin 12 CS is also very worthwhile trying... As is Ardbeg uigedail.
Scotched

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder