Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whats your favorite bottle?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Whats your favorite?

Glenlivet 12 year old
5%
Glenfiddich 15 year old
13%
Macallan fine oak 12 year old
5%
Aberlour a'bunadh
35%
Dun Bheagan Speyside 8 year old
No votes
Laphroaig 10 year old
42%

Total votes : 55

Whats your favorite bottle?

Postby matthew2512 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:54 am

Hey all, im new to the forum and was wondering what your favorites are of these affordable and relatively contrasting bottles.
matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:08 pm

I voted Laphroaig 10 year old with the a'bunadh a close second the rest don't really interest me.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:19 pm

Laphroaig closely followed by the Macallan FO.

I've never had Dun Bheagan tho.
Dangerous_Dave

Postby Wave » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Even as an Islay fan I'd go with the Aberlour a'bunadh over the Laphroaig 10 because it's just that good! :P

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm

Welcome Matthew!

For me this is pretty much a tie between Laphroaig 10 and A'bunadh. They're polar opposites in terms of style and my preference would depend on my mood. Ultimately though I think I'm in the mood for Laphroaig more often so I voted for that.

Glenlivet 12 is good stuff too, but a little boring in comparison.

I'm not a huge fan of Glenfiddich (though the 15 is pretty good) or Macallan (though don't think I've tried fine oak 12).

I've never had Dun Bheagan Speyside 8 year old so I can't compare.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:15 pm

A year ago I would never have thought this possibe, but now it would be a toss up between Laph 10 and Glenfiddich 15. The more I drink GF in general, the more I appeciate it. To me, the GF 15 is just perfectly balanced. But Laph 10, is about guts and glory. Both are wonderful.

I a not as enamored with the A'bunadh a some others are, but I am not a huge sherry monster fan.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:58 pm

Aberlour a'bunadh and then probably the Macallan Fine Oak. While I may complain, justly, about some of Macallan's prices, I don't think I have had a bottle I didn't like.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Surprisingly, I've gone through a bottle of most of these. I don't like the Glenlivent nor the Macallan but the Dun Bheagan and Glenfiddich are fine. I chose the Aberlour over the Laphroaig as has been stated, "It's just that good."
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:37 pm

'fiddich 15 almost by default as I don't like many of the others. The Dun Bheagan I like, but it is unbalanced so I wouldn't recommend it.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:28 pm

Any bottle that is filled and unopened is my favorite ! :P

I am partial to the Islay single malts so its the seven distilleries in there. As for the 'other' malts, it has to be longrow, talisker, highland park, springbank.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby bjorn » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:27 am

I went with the Aberlour...it's packed with flavor and it's got a great mouthfeel while the Laphroaig 10 i find a little watery. Now if the Laphroaig were CS or QC I might rethink...
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby IainB » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:21 am

Of the above, in order of preference

1. Aberlour a'bunadh
2. Laphroaig
3. Macallan 12yo FO

Really don't like any Glenfiddich I've ever tried, and not bothered with the others.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:29 am

The Laphoiag 10 is my choice. Haven't been lucky enough to have the Abelour. So in the group the Laph just does so much more for me.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby SoMK » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:39 am

A'bunadh as well... Simple, you can always count on it to deliver warmth and depth. Not overly complex and very reasonnably priced on top of that !
Then Laphroaig, then Macallan :P
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:03 am

The Laphroaig for me. The Aberlour A'Bunadh is very good (I've always found their basic expression disappointing although there are greater authorities on the forum who are fans). The Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve is a good dram though I am no Glenfiddich fan either.

Go for a proper sherried Macallan for your first taste not a FO.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Fergie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:22 pm

LeoDLion wrote:Any bottle that is filled and unopened is my favorite ! :P

I almost agree.
For me it's

Any bottle that's about to be uncorked. :lol:

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:46 pm

A had a Black Bottle 10 yrs this week. I am beginning to like it.

But my favorite is still the Ardbeg Uigeadail.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby broontroot » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:07 am

I voted for Macallan fine oak 12 year old, but equally i enjoy Highland park, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie cellar 13 :thumbsup: Tamdhu fits in there also
broontroot

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Funny how many folk say GFiddich ain't that great then praise the 15, almost apologetically, as if it ain't "cool" to like GF!

I'm as guilty as anyone. I have to say i much prefer it to glenlivet 12(tho' I love their nadurra, and recently became a convert to the 18)...and the Macallan FO. All three speysiders, and th GF the best of the three IMO - the most "archetypal" of the region.

Interestingly, i was recently gifted a Mac FO 10, and "standard" 10 as gifts, so decided to try 'em back to back the other night. i'm afraid the "old" style won hands down. the FO is pleasant, but it could be 100 whiskies - whereas the "sherry" version has its own personality i'd always identify blind, i swear!

Re: this poll: The Laph 10 is great, but not my favourite Laph. And the Abunadh, I love...once in a while.

So here's a peat freak and sherried malt afficionado voting for...Glenfiddich! How about that?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:10 pm

Oi! Who's been adding strange bottles in gangsta glasses to my posts? I did NOT put it there! That should read "Glenliver 18(eighteen!)"

It has come to my notice that many on this forum are seriously disgruntled by actions taken by the so-called moderators, with certain people like Mr TH accused of trolling, much to his displeasure...and the disabling of "edit" buttons, reason buttons, and shirt buttons...

I don't know who's responsible, but the appearance of uninvited gangsta bottles on MY posts is intolerable, unconscionable, uncalled-for, insolent, intrusive, invasive, threatening, and has either "big brother" or "mafia" ( I'm not sure which) stamped all over it.

...this is NOT an opinion, it's a FACT, so there!

I have friends in low places you know. Call your goons off or your 36 YO Port Ellens will mysteriously vanish, followed in quick succession by your grandmother's 1846 Brora. You 'ave bin warned matey.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

My favorite bottle is the one in my hand!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:21 am

The Aberlour A'Bunadh for me! The Laphroaig 10 is such a close second it's nearly first.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:36 am

My favourite?
None of the ones you listed.

Does this poll reflect the limited selection you have in shops where you are?
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:15 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Oi! Who's been adding strange bottles in gangsta glasses to my posts? I did NOT put it there! That should read "Glenliver 18(eighteen!)"

It has come to my notice that many on this forum are seriously disgruntled by actions taken by the so-called moderators, with certain people like Mr TH accused of trolling, much to his displeasure...and the disabling of "edit" buttons, reason buttons, and shirt buttons...

I don't know who's responsible, but the appearance of uninvited gangsta bottles on MY posts is intolerable, unconscionable, uncalled-for, insolent, intrusive, invasive, threatening, and has either "big brother" or "mafia" ( I'm not sure which) stamped all over it.

...this is NOT an opinion, it's a FACT, so there!

I have friends in low places you know. Call your goons off or your 36 YO Port Ellens will mysteriously vanish, followed in quick succession by your grandmother's 1846 Brora. You 'ave bin warned matey.

I think you find the combination of 18 and the ( or ) in close quarters triggered the glass with glasses.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Whats your favorite bottle?

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Hmmm! Thanks for the reassurance Lawrence...I was getting a bit paranoid there. thought i was being overrun by cybersmilies...I notice the gangsta glass with glasses has now mysteriously disappeared.

...and that I reefered in my second post to "Glenliver..."

did I just say "reefered?" Oh dear! What a giveaway...or am I drinking too much?

That's it. no whisky for a week.(yeah, right...)

As Paul Simon said: "There must be 50 ways to love your liver."http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=6508&sid=65ec082572a3aa73358dda3adc1ad11c#
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Re: Whats your favorite bottle?

Postby alea » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:21 pm

I voted for Laphroaig 10, but my favorites are others...
alea

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder