Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

favorite Islay

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Postby IainB » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bruichladdich yet. Is "Islay" just shorthand for a peated whisky for most whisky lovers and Bruichladdich just doesn't appear on the radar?

Let me throw in a vote for the 2001 Whiskyship Valinch then. And when I run out of that, I guess a Fifteen 2nd Ed. will do in a pinch.. :D

Personally, no it's not that as I'm a big fan of a lot of unpeated / lightly peatd whiskies. Just not a huge fan of Bruichladdich. Would prefer Bunnabhainn to Bruichladdich. It's just that Laga and Laphraoig happen to be me farourite Islays (and in fairness to your obversation, probably my favourite peated whiskies, or certainly 2 of my top 3.)
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:29 pm

Finished off a bottle of Lagavulin 16 last night. It had been sitting there awhile(occasional drops imbibed since my birthday at the beginning of Feb)

But last night I really re-appreciated this whisky. first, this was THE one that sparked my fascination with malts way back in 1999, and it remained one of a few of which I was in awe, possibly joint favourite, with the other "joint" constantly changing! Which I guess made it my favourite. It led me to other Islays, all of which I have enjoyed...esp a selection of Bowmores(the first 12 I tasted years ago;Darkest; 17 YO; a stunning 22YO Single Cask) Laphroaigs(esp the 10, standard and CS...and 1/4 cask)

...but then Ardbeg kind of took me over as THE Islay malt - I've enjoyed the 17, the 77(sadly finished!) a few oogies... and, being a lot cheaper than lagavulin the 10 became my 'house' malt for a few years, as lagavulin sort of faded into the background.

Last night the wheel came full circle, and I realised why the 16YO has been referred to as "The aristocrat of islay malts".

What a combination of smokey and sweet flavours! rugged, yet such depth and smoothness.

RJ calls it an ace, rightly so. I call it an ace among aces.

I've enjoyed 3 or 4 ditillers editions along the way plus a couple of CS 12YOs...

but the 'standard' 16 is truly a "Classic malt" in every sense.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:53 pm

It's hard to have a favourite Islay (as in smoky) whisky when there are so many good to choose from! The Caol Ila 12 however is becoming something of a favourite these days. I keep on replacing bottle after bottle of this stuff and it never disappoints. This is clearly a single malt which unjustly suffers from a bad reputation; stored on the mainland and "large scale production" . Here's a whisky which encapsulates everything a smoky Islay whisky should be yet also manages to bring out layers of flavours beyond the smoke and also a peppery and oil-like texture. Simply perfect!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:12 pm

Ardbeg Oggie now is my favorite malt.
Lagavulin is not to far off.
Laphroaig holds a special place in me heart.
Bowmore I am glad existed.
Caol Ila, Port Ellen, Buichladdich are equal in great taste.
Bunnahabein is the mildest to me.
Octomore, nevermore, where are you?
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Re: favorite Islay

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 pm

You all just have to see this it is hilarious. It is a site that translates what you have to say and puts them in phrases teens would use. I will show you an example.

Well now I have decided it is time to begin dialogue on a subject I enjoy enormously. Whiskey. It is my eau de vie. My water of life. I imbibe it on a regular basis. I prefer the more sherried drams, but certain peaty whiskies I do enjoy a great deal. What are your thoughts? Please email me with your thoughts.
Thank you for your patience.

Elagabalus

TRANSLATED TO:

WAL NOW I HAEV DECIEDD IT IS TIEM 2 BGIN DIALOGUA ON A SUBJECT I ENJOY ANORMOUSLY1!!!1!1 OMG LOL WHISK3Y11!!1 OMG WTF LOL IT IS MAH EAU DE VEI!1!1!!!! OMG MAH W8R OF LIEF!11!1111 I IMBIEB IT ON A RAGULAR BASIS!!!!! OMG I PR3F3R DA MORE SHEREID DRMS BUT CERTANE PEATY WHISKEIS I DO 3NJOY A GR3AT DEAL!11!1!!! WTF LOL WUT R UR THOUGHTS??!!!!?? WTF PLZ 3MALE M3 WIT UR THOUGHTS
THANK!!1!111 U FOR UR PATEINCE
ELAGABALUS!1!!1!!1 LOL
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Since I always have a single malt during dinner, I can attest to the fact that any whisky goes with any dinner food! :D Since I drink whisky serially (a bottle at a time) most of the time, the Bowmore Legend goes well with roasted chicken and fried sausages and peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
Is it because I separate the sipping with the eating? I mean I chew and chew and swallow food, then I sip whisky. I never chew and sip whisky at the same time! What do you guys do?
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:47 pm

I'm a Laddie too but very biased.

Just reading this thread has made me think of doing an Islay tasting over the xmas and new year period when the family is up, think i'll look for a 10 or 12 of each one to try and see which really is my favourite, all have been tried separately but together so you can remember them mat be interesting.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:16 pm

No contest for me its the Lagavulin 16yr followed by Caol Ila 18yr,and i,m not even a peat head.
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:50 pm

Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg (in that order). I can honestly say that I like everything I've had from each of these distilleries, but Lagavulin is definitely at the top for me. I can't wait for my bottle of Lagavulin 21 which I'm getting Sunday!
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Surely your favourite Islay has to depend on your mood and the conditions. I totally agree with those that have cited Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain as deserving of more attention. The current 12 year old Laddie is a superb fresh tasting easy drinker that is perfect for a summer afternoon 8) .

Obviously if the weather is atrocious, then I'm reaching for the peat.
Willie JJ

Postby hiccy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:30 am

Ardbeg is my "first love" in whisky terms so I have to mention that first.
Laphroaig I very much enjoy at the moment.
Bruichladdich 18yo is superb. Had a 17yo last which we also really enjoyed.

Never tried Port Ellen, although there is a bottle warming in the cupboard right now. :wink:
hiccy

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:35 am

Go for that PE!!!
They are usually superb drams exhibiting lots of straw and hay in an Islay kind of way.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby hiccy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:54 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Go for that PE!!!

It's meant to be for a "special occasion"..... Christmas is coming... :lol:
hiccy

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Go for that PE!!!
They are usually superb drams exhibiting lots of straw and hay in an Islay kind of way.

It's great stuff all right, but getting so expensive now.

Tried a Douglas Laing Platinum bottling of a 28yr old a few months back at a PE tasting and it was truly superb. Trouble is the prices are heading for the stratosphere. I think that bottle was close to £200 and its almost impossible to find any under £75.

So, yes I agree, but I wish it was cheaper :( .
Willie JJ

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder