Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do you read blogs

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Do you read blogs about whisky

I have a favorite blog that I follow daily
17%
I read blogs every now and then for fun
24%
I know some blogs about whisky but I don't visit them anymore
2%
I haven't found any good blogs to read
44%
What's a blog
12%

Total votes : 41

Do you read blogs

Postby ronnestam » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:29 am

I'm the writer of the blog WhiskyGrotto.com

WhiskyGrotto.com blog is a private initiative. I launched it from the beginning basically because I don't think there is enough blogs about whisky that delivers lots of news about the industry.

And of course then I'd like to ask some questions about blog behavior among whisky drinkers.
ronnestam

Postby killerwhale » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:08 am

I read a few but they don't seem to 'connect' with me.... fun to read from time to time but I like simple tasting notes & discussion of whiskies...... I do browse sites that sell whisky and see what they have to say about their malts..... but for blogs, can't say I follow any..... maybe I have not found one that I like? :( not to bash your site, will have a peek later :angel:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:37 am

Never! Blogs are the most hyped and uninteresting thing of the internet era ever. I don't imply that your blog isn't good but in this cacaphony of voices who are going to listen? Most blogs are made by people who haven't been credited with anything at all. If it was a politician, a writer, a renowned journalist or something then I might, but as most blogs are made by just about anyone out there I suppose it's read mostly by friends?

I like to read columns in the newspapers. I particularly miss Sir Peter Ustinovs column in The European.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:42 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Never! Blogs are the most hyped and uninteresting thing of the internet era ever. I don't imply that your blog isn't good but in this cacaphony of voices who are going to listen?

Jelly, some are actually interesting and I say it's a good option to have.... the whisky ones I've found are not that good but blogs are kind of cool, very individual and some can be fun to read..... :angel:
so, keep on bloggin' I say.... better to have people try to be creative with words than some other options... :insane: :coffee: :smoke:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:10 pm

Good points Willy!
ronnestam - had a look at your blog and I've got to say it looks very good! Good luck!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Feldrin » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:12 pm

I read blogs every now and then for fun. Usually I stumble upon them while searching for some tasting notes or information about a particular whisky. But I don't have any blogs in my bookmarks.

If a certain blog draws me back to it multiple times it's probably because it has something more to offer, like a price/quality comparison list or a huge database about previous whisky tastings and notes.
Feldrin

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:11 pm

Yes, wow ronnestam, your WhiskyGrotto.com looks good! You've even linked to one I just recently subscribed to and read when updates are made,
http://www.thescotchblog.com/
which does a great job, and gets a lot of credit and support throughout the world of whisky!
Good luck with yours, keep us posted!
Di Blasi

Postby Matt2 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Sorry but most blogs I see are just copied news and press releases from other web sites (and even other blogs). Maybe the poll should read "how many times do you want to read the same 'news' ? "

:evil: Hmmmm..... just delved further into your blog and found the clubs section. I wonder where you ripped that data from. You certainly didn't source it from the owners. Looks like it was stolen from another web site, mistakes and all!!!

Bloggers moto - Don't worry, someone else will do all the hard work for you!

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :headbang:
Matt2

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:50 pm

Not really into blogs at all as I don't like the format mainly... sometimes too much going on in them, more adds than real content, no focus or directon and some are honestly not very good.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wave » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:10 am

Not all blogs are news blogs, in fact there are many types of blogs now. I frequent the music blogs daily myself for a source for new and obscure music.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:52 am

Matt Page wrote:

That was my thought when I followed the link. It would have been nice to see references.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:45 am

Matt Page wrote:Bloggers moto - Don't worry, someone else will do all the hard work for you!

Indeed, it's either plain ripping off other content, or recycling their old content as new.

As for the poll, I don't read any whisky news based websites on a regular basis, but I do frequently drool over whiskyfun by Serge.
parvus
Silver Member

Mixed feelings

Postby ronnestam » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:59 pm

Glad to see that some people have answered my poll...even though it's in the middle of the summer.

All blogs are not copied news. I can admin mine is to some extent...but even though I subscribe to both Whisky Mag and Malt Advocate, I'm proud to be able to deliver news often before these channels. And as I have more time I'll make sure to deliver more unique content.

Serge, he's a killer! Love his blog. The Scotch Blog too. And Nonjatta and some other ones.

Keep the poll going!
Slainte
Johan
ronnestam

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:38 am

:shock: So you have nothing to say about the stolen content from this web site. And you then boast about how quickly you can copy and paste news from other web sites.

Perhaps you will want to remove anything you copied and pasted from this web site, and next time ask for permission!

:roll: :evil:

Paragraph 3.3.3 from the Whiskymag.com terms of use - not permitted
Using the Website for creating, verifying, updating or amending your own website, databases, records, directories, customer lists or mailing lists or those of a third party;
Matt2

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:43 pm

I always thought blogs were supposed to be like a diary of your own life not a news sheet compiled from other places press releases ?
Thats what i must be doing wrong with my site not "borrowing" from other sites ! :headbang: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby sku » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Wow, I'm surprised how much negative sentiment there is out there about blogs. Now, as a disclaimer, I do have a blog, but that being said, I imagine that blogs are no different than any other medium...some are good, some are bad, many are somewhere in between. Some are ethical, some are not, some plagerize, some don't, etc., etc. This same thing could be said of any medium, be it television, newspapers, magazines, etc.

Keep in mind that most blogs, including mine, don't purport to be news or even journalism, but are just a means of communicating with a small group of like minded or interested folks about particular subjects (in my case, sharing tips on good food and drink and occasionally making pithy comments about same)...the internet just allows that communication to go further than was previously possible.

As for me, I regularly read Kevin Erskine's excellent Scotch Blog, http://www.thescotchblog.com, Dr. Whisky's malt mission, http://www.drwhisky.blogspot.com, Nonjatta's Japanese whisky blog, http://www.nonjatta.blogspot.com, and Whiskycast, whiskycast.com (a podcast is nothing more than an audio blog).
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Matt Page wrote:Sorry but most blogs I see are just copied news and press releases from other web sites (and even other blogs). Maybe the poll should read "how many times do you want to read the same 'news' ? "

:evil: Hmmmm..... just delved further into your blog and found the clubs section. I wonder where you ripped that data from. You certainly didn't source it from the owners. Looks like it was stolen from another web site, mistakes and all!!!

When I was running my blog (maltresistance.blogspot.com) no one could have accused me of ripping off content from anyone.
My words and ideas were truly my own.... I think everyone could agree with me on that one :-)
Matt, not all blogs are run by copy cats who have nothing to say!!
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:49 pm

:oops: Sorry if I tarred all you bloggers with the same brush, there are some little gems out there. Keep up the good, original and informative content.
Matt2

Don't read weblogs

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:47 am

Sorry, I don't waste time reading weblogs of any sort. I go to websites I appreciate like WM, WhiskyCast and several distilleries as well as research information for my varied interests. I find little in weblogs that appeal to me and have no desire to create one.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Never said anything else

Postby ronnestam » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:52 pm

Regarding your comment Matt.

I'm absolutely open about WhiskyGrotto.com being a place where I gather news about the world of whisky. My intention is purely that. I personally enjoy blogs within various areas of interests that do exactly that. It saves me a lot of time and still keeps me updated.

And when it comes to the club section, that I took away after your comment, that was solely for the good of people who search for a whisky club.

/Johan

...and to all of you that says "just copy" - I spend around 1-2 hours every day searching for things I find interesting for people who like whisky. Wish I had more time...but you got to work too...:sleep:
ronnestam

finally voted

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:50 am

I picked "I haven't found any good blogs to read" as it was the closest to "nope".
MP
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: finally voted

Postby Quaichuser » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:I picked "I haven't found any good blogs to read" as it was the closest to "nope".
MP

I voted for your choice on the matter MP. It wasn't an option but I chose it anyway. Perhaps we should write a blog on not having enough choice. :lol: :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:57 pm

Sadly I do not have enough time in the day to keep track of what's happening in this forum let alone any other site. So blogs, (whatever they are) are pretty low on my list of priorities.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:16 pm

What's a blog :?
les taylor

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:22 am

les taylor wrote:What's a blog :?

ditto
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:20 pm

Matt Page wrote::oops: Sorry if I tarred all you bloggers with the same brush, there are some little gems out there. Keep up the good, original and informative content.

Thanks, Matt. I knew a discerning mind such as yours would appreciate and comment favourably on my lucid, original and vibrant blog.....;-)
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby LeoDLion » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:18 pm

I have a blog on blogspot http://leodlion.blogspot.com but unfortunately its about my dogs and car.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 am

Leo:
Intersting blog and not a hint of whisky!
:headbang:
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder