Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longmorn 15, Highland Park 12, Johnny Walker Black or Green?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Poll ended at Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Longmorn 15
56%
Highland Park 12
31%
Johnnie Walker Black 12
No votes
Johnnie Walker Green 15
13%

Total votes : 16

Postby jruddy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:44 pm

I am still new to Whisky (as opposed to Irish Whiskey) and I am looking for advice on my next bottle. I have a bottle of HP 18 which is phenominal and a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 that is simply awful. The only other things I can mention regarding my personal taste is that I adore Redbreast 12 and
I really enjoyed Lag 16, but don't know how often I'd be in the mood for an Islay.

So I need something to keep me from drinking my HP 18 too quickly - I'm thinking of these more moderately priced bottles:
Longmorn 15
Highland Park 12
Johnnie Walker Black 12
Johnnie Walker Green 15

Any Opinions?
jruddy

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi jruddy and welcome to forums. I'm new to longmorn which I think is fabulous. However the HP12 is a really nice whisky and would put it above the rest. IMHO.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:03 pm

4 quite different whiskies!

And all with merits.

Longmorn 15 is one of my, and many here, favourite "Speyside" malts...and one you'd better not get too fond of, as it's being discontinued and won't be around long.

HP12 is a nice dram, perhaps with not as much depth as the 18, but a classic in its own way - more of an "everyday' dram ...

JW Black is one of my favourite blends - again, easy drinking. One to enjoy, rather than savour...by that I mean, in my experience, malts in general require more contemplation and time to appreciate the unfolding of their character - in the long run perhaps more rewarding, whereas blends tend to taste "nice" from first hit - that's why they are created,not so much for the "connoiseur" but to appeal to the "punter", and are maybe less rewarding/challenging.

JW Green - well, it's a nice malt - a vatting of Talisker, Caol Isla(A rather pungent Islay!) Cragganmore and Linkwood(both softer speysiders)

... but i'd rather have separate bottles of its components - for example I rarely have an unopened bottle of Talisker in the house! I suspect if you enjoy Lagavulin you'll enjoy Talisker - not a million miles apart, either flavourwise, or geographically...but different! and cheaper...

Hope this helps, and enjoy your whisk(e)y journey!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby jruddy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:28 pm

It sounds like I should try Longmorn 15 while I can!
jruddy

Postby Feldrin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Yep, definitely. I'm very glad the guy at the shop convinced me to buy the last bottle of Longmorn 15 they had. Great stuff.

To be honest, I don't know anything about the other ones. I drank Johnny Walker a few times but that was in the past, the Dark Ages of when I was adding ice to my whisky. So I can't help you with those.

Which reminds me...I seriously have to buy some Johnny Walker, it's too main stream not to have in my cabinet...
Feldrin

Postby jruddy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Like a kid in a candy shop, I couldn't help myself and picked up the Longmorn 15.

*If* I like it I'll snag a couple more bottles for future enjoyment.
jruddy

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:17 pm

I'd go for the Longmorn, true the 15 yr old is being discontinued but it is being replaced by a 16 yr old, which is also an excellent dram.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:08 am

Reggaeblues wrote:4 quite different whiskies!

And all with merits.

Longmorn 15 is one of my, and many here, favourite "Speyside" malts...and one you'd better not get too fond of, as it's being discontinued and won't be around long.

HP12 is a nice dram, perhaps with not as much depth as the 18, but a classic in its own way - more of an "everyday' dram ...

JW Black is one of my favourite blends - again, easy drinking. One to enjoy, rather than savour...by that I mean, in my experience, malts in general require more contemplation and time to appreciate the unfolding of their character - in the long run perhaps more rewarding, whereas blends tend to taste "nice" from first hit - that's why they are created,not so much for the "connoiseur" but to appeal to the "punter", and are maybe less rewarding/challenging.

JW Green - well, it's a nice malt - a vatting of Talisker, Caol Isla(A rather pungent Islay!) Cragganmore and Linkwood(both softer speysiders)

... but i'd rather have separate bottles of its components - for example I rarely have an unopened bottle of Talisker in the house! I suspect if you enjoy Lagavulin you'll enjoy Talisker - not a million miles apart, either flavourwise, or geographically...but different! and cheaper...

Hope this helps, and enjoy your whisk(e)y journey!

I'll agree with rb 100%..... good post! :thumbsup:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:23 am

I too vote for the Longmorn. It is a wonderful dram. Since you have an HP 18 the 12, in my mind, wouldn't be a big enough step away from the flavour to enjoy the difference of another single malt. Don't know that much about the JW's as I haven't drunk blends in many years.

Enjoy
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Re: Longmorn 15, Highland Park 12, Johnny Walker Black or Green?

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:52 pm

I didn't think much of the JW Green when I first tried it. That was when I was still rather new to whisky though, just comming over to SMS from Bourbon territory. Perhaps I will get another bottle and give it another go.

JW Black and HP 12 should be staples in everyones liquor cabinet. :)
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 pm

HP 12 is a favorite of mine...
Dubois

Postby Admiral » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:23 am

Hmmm....the Longmorn 15, followed closely by the HP12.

And I'd choose the JW Black before the JW Green!

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:58 am

I have to agree with all the above comments about Longmorn 15 and HP12. I must add though that I tried JW Green last month for the first time. I was actually pleasantly surprised I really enjoyed it and thought it had good balance. My only regret, I should have bought a bottle in duty free whilst I had the chance. Still next time.

les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Yeah, at RBs gig!!

I seem to remember reading you didn't used to like it, or is tht RB brainfade kicking in again?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Yeah, at RBs gig!!

I seem to remember reading you didn't used to like it, or is tht RB brainfade kicking in again?

Actually RB I forgot I'd had it with you, That was the first time. I did enjoy it. The second time when I should have bought some was at 7am on a wednesday morning at a whisky tasting in Duty Free at the airport.

les taylor

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder