Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Douglas Laing packaging

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Do you like the new Douglas Laing OMC packaging?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 33

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:37 pm

I agree about the clear glass (hadn't even thought of that). Another plus is that it's easier to find the distillery name.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:05 am

I hated the 26 Malts labeling and really like the regular SMWS labeling. I hope they never change it. They will of course.

I think you'll find that the Bruichladdich & Murray McDavid design etc was done in house (this is what Andrew told us but this conversation predates the PC5 bottling).

I also think the previous DL design simply didn't shout 'quality' where as in most cases the contents were very much of a high quality. The new design speaks more of quality to me.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby parvus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:09 am

People seem to have a hostility and disliking of companies who introduce new labels or modernized bottles and appearances, which is fair enough, it is an industry built on tradition; but what I don't understand is on what grounds do they complain when "It's what's inside that counts" - If you don't care what the labels look like, how can you complain about them without seeming like a bit of a...hypocrite?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:19 am

Why is that when something goes against the general consensus it's deemed as a a hostility ?
If a hypocrite is wanting to keep the costs down on the price through not paying over the odds for a fancy label and packaging i hold my hands up !
Seems like there's a bit of hostility towards people who actually care about what's in the bottle for drinking and not how pretty it looks sitting on the shelf !
After all it was asked what peoples thoughts were on new packaging , it was given albeit with the added extra thoughts of "It's what's inside that counts" and a slight discussion on other labels and what people prefer to see , after all this is a place for discussion on such thoughts or at least i thought it was .......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Klas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:45 am

Looks good.

Klas
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 am

parvus wrote:People seem to have a hostility and disliking of companies who introduce new labels or modernized bottles and appearances, which is fair enough, it is an industry built on tradition; but what I don't understand is on what grounds do they complain when "It's what's inside that counts" - If you don't care what the labels look like, how can you complain about them without seeming like a bit of a...hypocrite?

Unfortunatly it seems to be "in fashion" to gussy up the packaging and accompany this with a higher price tag (see Longmorn).
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:00 am

parvus wrote:People seem to have a hostility and disliking of companies who introduce new labels or modernized bottles and appearances, which is fair enough, it is an industry built on tradition;

OK, as long as such a statement allows for the fact that some don't like some changes because the changes themselves are not pleasing and not because it is simply a matter of tradition. Personally, I don't like the new Highland Park bottles because in my opinion the change was not for the better. Such a bottle seems better suited to bourbon than single malt scotch.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:47 pm

It goes without saying that it's what's inside that counts. The question was what you think of the new packaging.

Frodo wrote:Unfortunatly it seems to be "in fashion" to gussy up the packaging and accompany this with a higher price tag (see Longmorn).

I don't think it's the packaging causing the price rise--quite the other way around. The price rise is coming regardless, and the new packaging is whipped up to go along with it, possibly to be seen to "justify" it.

Like it or not, promotion and other costs are a hidden part of the price of every bottle of whisky. Fact of business life. So are price rises, which are inevitable given increasing worldwide demand.
Deactivated Member

Postby papercrack » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:06 am

After complaining to DL late last year about the quality of there boxes .Especially the white showing through where the box had been rubbed on shop shelves.
DL said they would take my comments on board.
Very well done DL.
papercrack
Bronze Member

Nope

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:18 am

I live in the far colonies and therefore have not had the opportunity to see or taste the new DL offerings. Anyone wish to alleviate my sadly ignorant state?
MP
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby parvus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:37 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Why is that when something goes against the general consensus it's deemed as a a hostility ?

Because more often than not, changes like this are met with cries of 'ruining' things and comments like "I'll never buy from them again" and so on, it's happend plenty in previous threads of a similar topic (see threads about HP's new packaging, for example).

If a hypocrite is wanting to keep the costs down on the price through not paying over the odds for a fancy label and packaging i hold my hands up !

I agree, keeping costs down and quality high is (or should be) of utmost importance to companies.

Seems like there's a bit of hostility towards people who actually care about what's in the bottle for drinking and not how pretty it looks sitting on the shelf !

You make it sound as if people on the forums collect bottles purely for their attractiveness, and not their contents, and I honestly can't say I've seen any of that - Bruichladdich collectors aside.

After all it was asked what peoples thoughts were on new packaging , it was given albeit with the added extra thoughts of "It's what's inside that counts" and a slight discussion on other labels and what people prefer to see , after all this is a place for discussion on such thoughts or at least i thought it was .......

Indeed, I started the thread to hear what people thought about the new packaging, the contents being of importance is an aside that has limited use in this discussion, in my opinion. Perhaps if this change of packaging went along with a change in contents, ala Longmorn, but this is not the case.

Is there anything in particular you do like about the new packaging, Spirit?
parvus
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder