Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Going to Denver - What 2 bottles to add to my cabinet?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which of these should I pick up in Denver?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:55 pm

Ardbeg 10
11%
Balvenie 15 Single Barrel
11%
Glengoyne 17
No votes
Highland Park 15
11%
Highland Park 18 ($40 savings!)
33%
Lagavulin 16
22%
Macallan 12
No votes
Macallan Fine Oak 12
No votes
Macallan Fine Oak 15
11%

Total votes : 9

Going to Denver - What 2 bottles to add to my cabinet?

Postby jruddy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 pm

You didn't steer me wrong with Longmorn 15, so I'm posting my next dilemma. I'm going to be travelling to Denver in September and the prices are significantly better at Davidsons Liquor store than here in Canada. With these choices I will save between $25 and $40 per bottle including exchange. (Of course I can only bring one bottle back, I'll just have to drink the other or find a mule :D )

In order of preference, here is what I own or have tried:
HP18 - owned - I love it - smoke is great
Lagavulin 16 - Tasted - Incredible!
Longmorn 15 - Owned - Sweet, gentle, clean
Red Breast - Empty - My favorite Irish
Glenfiddich - owned - Not very good... :(
Dunwhinnie 15 - tasted - Possibly a bad bottle - or a victim of evaporation/oxi? :(

Also:
owned - Balvenie 12 Double Wood - Haven't cracked it yet - waiting until I see my brother in law who is on leave from Afghanistan.

So, what would you do in my situation? Do you like one of these more than the rest? I need an Islay for my cupboard, but I am really leaning to simply picking up another bottle of HP18 or maybe one of the others.

I will be picking up 2 bottles - so if there are 2 that you think would nicely contrast that would be ideal!
Last edited by jruddy on Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jruddy

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:02 pm

Get the HP 18 to drink or mule and pick up the Lagavulin 16 to take back. :mrgreen:

I was curious about the inclusion of the Macallan FO 12. Is this a typo? I thought the FO 8, 12, 18 and 25 were only available in Europe.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jruddy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:07 pm

Ganga wrote:I was curious about the inclusion of the Macallan FO 12. Is this a typo? I thought the FO 8, 12, 18 and 25 were only available in Europe.

Yes, I typed in 12 instead of 15 - I thought I fixed it but I guess I must have added the 15 in as a new line instead of replacing the 12... :dead:
jruddy

Postby Frodo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:41 pm

I think an argument can be made for the Ardbeg TEN as it's not going to be in production for much longer. Even if it is, the LCBO have dropped it as a general list item, which means Vintages might order a few cases every now and then, but it's availability will be spotty if it becomes available at all at the LCBO.

Looking over your list, I noticed that you seem to have fallen for Peaty/smoky drams. You may want to try something smoky but different like Jura Superstition, and Ardmore, or a Laphroaig (we only get the 10yr here). Laphroaig QC has gotten great reveiws and the 15yr has never been available in Ontario (that I know of).

My recommendation woud be Springbank. Springbank is very expensive (between Ardbeg and Macallan) in Ontario - when it comes in - and this is a great chance to try some for a reasonable price. Springbank is a bit more smokey than HP, but has plenty of that briny/coastal flavours without the Islay iodine.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:58 pm

While I think an argument could be made for the Ardbeg 10 (on flavor profile alone), I can't believe that once the new batches come out that it will be that difficult to find in Ontario -- but Frodo obviously knows the Province better than I do.

Still, my vote for the whiskies you list would be for the Balvenie 15. This really does not get talked up enough here on the forum and it is a hell of a dram. Almost as good as the Balvenie 21 and at half the price. If you can save a fair amount of money on top of that I think you will be quite happy.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:22 pm

I voted for Ardbeg 10. If you've never tried an Ardbeg, there is a gaping hole in your life.

However, I don't think you can really go wrong with anything on this list. Personally I have tried and loved everything here with the exception of the Macallan FO.

If I was in your position, I would get one bottle of something I have had and know I like and one that I haven't tried.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:02 pm

My vote would be Balvenie 15 (my favorite Balvenie) and HP 18 (can't miss).

HP15? Qu'est-ce que c'est?

You can bring back as much as you want--just declare and be prepared to pay duty. I don't know what it is in Canada, but it isn't a lot in the US--3%, I believe.
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:My vote would be Balvenie 15 (my favorite Balvenie) and HP 18 (can't miss).

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I don't think you should even consider the Macallans. If you want something Speysidey, get the Balvenie 15. I have had two bottles and loved them both.

MrTattieHeid wrote:HP15? Qu'est-ce que c'est?

I had a dram at a bar in Philly. Pretty good. I drank it in the midst of non whisky entheusiests, so I didn't take notes and can't really compare to the 12 or 18, but it was good stuff. The PALCB has it available for special order, but the price is a little steep.

MrTattieHeid wrote:You can bring back as much as you want--just declare and be prepared to pay duty. I don't know what it is in Canada, but it isn't a lot in the US--3%, I believe.

Yeah. Rules are only rules when they're enforced.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby SoMK » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:42 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I don't know what it is in Canada, but it isn't a lot in the US--3%, I believe.

aaaargh.. In canada, it's 124%. yup ! and they ask you for the price you paid and some people lie because customs are so overworked that they don't even bother to check. they do see quite a few Uigeadail at $20 :lol:
I declare each time I come back and I'm very upfront. I declared 3 whiskies once and didn't pay any taxes.. One time, I had to pay but when I told them the true price, they decided to tax them as wine *60%* which was better than nothing.
But if you "smuggle" and get caught.. Ouch ! Expect the 124% + 300 $ penalty :headbang:

My vote would be for the balvenie as well and the HP18 because it's amazing and the -40$ look awesome.
Last edited by SoMK on Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:19 am

Well, I'll be. Harry said "punitive" on the Where Have You Been thread, too.

The 3% figure I cite for US customs is based on my reading of Customs literature online, not first-hand experience, so I can't guarantee it. I bring 8-10 bottles back each year, declare all, and so far have never been charged. The total dollar amount allowed is more of a problem. It's possible I've misunderstood the exchange rate once or twice. Image
Deactivated Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:24 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:HP15? Qu'est-ce que c'est?

We have the 15 on the shelf now at the LCBO. Had a chance to taste it last month along side the Macallan FO 15. No contest the HP blew the Macallan out of the water and it was nearly $30 cheaper.

If you stick to the list go with the Highland Parks. If you chuck the list check out the Talisker 18 or DE. I also concur that if you can find the Laphroiag QC buy it as it may a few months before we see any here in Canada.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder