Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What do you do with the empties?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What do you do with your empty whisky bottles?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Throw it away
84%
Collect the empty bottles
8%
Remove labels and paste on a book
4%
Reuse the bottle
4%

Total votes : 25

What do you do with the empties?

Postby LeoDLion » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:05 pm

Several years ago, I used to steam off the labels from the empty bottles and paste them on a book. I then write some information on it such as dates and impressions on the taste. I am thinking of reviving this hobby.

I am curious as to what some forum member do with their empty whisky bottles?
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:11 pm

It's my intent to peel ther labels off and put them in a book. I'm a little behind....
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:35 pm

I throw them away. The only difference is that I take a digital photo of the bottle/label before they get recycled.

I was scanning the labels for a while, but the results were not as good as I wanted, and then I thought about the wine label peeling products, or soaking but it was too much. I have been happy enough with high resolution digital photos.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:37 pm

im the destructive type, i like to smash them... :mrgreen:

i wait till ive got a couple of empties ad them throw them against each other in the wheely bin in what is a rather satisfying smash.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Straight into the recycling bin - I'm not sentimental about empty bottles and to have them on display would only generate the worst thinkable spousal reaction: "you drank all those bottles......."
Mr Fjeld

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:52 pm

For me, it's a mixture of the above. I have an affinity for cool looking bottles such as the ceramic Bowmores or ones that have special memories like the Macallan 1973 the Mikey and I shared during a hurricane on Antigua. I tend towards recycling them in some fashion. That is, I keep some around as spare bottles for splitting with a friend and the others go into the recyling bin. The bin has been getting a work out this summer. :smoke:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby vitara7 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:08 pm

i would recycle mine, but my local authority does not allow glass in the recyling wheely bins we have at home. i would take them to a bottle bank or that, but im too lazy to go out my way for a couple of bottles, plu i like the smashing...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Empties for money

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:58 am

We take our empties back to the Beer Store for a ten cent refund. As for the tubes, I haven't figured our what to do with the tubes... yet

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:23 am

I have held on to some of the more memorable bottles. My first Macallan 18, a Dallas Dhu 20, a Glen Turrett 17 and a few others. But most go in the recycling bin.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Re: Empties for money

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:40 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:We take our empties back to the Beer Store for a ten cent refund. As for the tubes, I haven't figured our what to do with the tubes... yet

Make potato bazookas for defending the shores of Wooden Lake from those pesky Minnesotans.
Deactivated Member

Postby bond » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:13 am

mikeymad wrote:I throw them away. The only difference is that I take a digital photo of the bottle/label before they get recycled.

I was scanning the labels for a while, but the results were not as good as I wanted, and then I thought about the wine label peeling products, or soaking but it was too much. I have been happy enough with high resolution digital photos.

Cheers,

Thats a great idea actually. Must do. Whats "high-resolution" though? Would my 10.2 mega pixel camera count as high resolution?
bond
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:32 am

I use to collect the empty bottles and tubes/boxes of single malts and other liquors, but when I moved to a smaller abode several of my collections had to be sacrificed which included the bottles and most of the tubes.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:43 am

I too throw my bottles into the recycling bin, although I have kept one memorable Ardbeg Uigeadail box/bottle (2004) because it was part of the best whisky experience I have had to date. I think I toss them because having empty whisky bottles around makes me sad :(
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:05 pm

Quaichuser wrote:I have held on to some of the more memorable bottles. My first Macallan 18, a Dallas Dhu 20, a Glen Turrett 17 and a few others. But most go in the recycling bin.

I'm with Quaichuser that is about what I do with mine. I have probably about six that I have kept. Mainly the copper tin Bruichladdich's I just can't bear to through them away.

Also what Ardbeg311 said:-
I think I toss them because having empty whisky bottles around makes me sad

I have to agree with. Somehow you have to look forward and not behind.

:)
les taylor

Postby pavv » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:39 pm

The bottles? I toss those when they're empty. I've barely got space to store my full bottles so when they're empty they go out. I do keep the corks though.... saved me a couple of times already when I had to replace a bad cork.

And quite recently i started to set about 100 ml of each open bottle aside for future reference. I got myself a whole bunch of small bottles and I plan to use them for my "whisky vault" so I can retaste the malt in a few years time
pavv

Postby vitara7 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:48 pm

les taylor wrote:
Quaichuser wrote:I have held on to some of the more memorable bottles. My first Macallan 18, a Dallas Dhu 20, a Glen Turrett 17 and a few others. But most go in the recycling bin.

I'm with Quaichuser that is about what I do with mine. I have probably about six that I have kept. Mainly the copper tin Bruichladdich's I just can't bear to through them away.

Also what Ardbeg311 said:-
I think I toss them because having empty whisky bottles around makes me sad

I have to agree with. Somehow you have to look forward and not behind.

there are folk on ebay who buy and sell empty whisky tins....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby AVB » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:43 pm

I keep some of the tubes if they interest me or if I'll be sending out something that didn't come with one. A bit of wrapping paper and you're all set!
AVB
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:05 pm

All my empties go the the recycle centre no matter how nice the bottle looks ....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby martin grant » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Most of my empty bottles find their way along to the recycle centre. Like v7 I love to hear the sound of breaking glass, and you get a great sound if you really throw your empty bottle into the glass bin. No idea how many bottles you can break with one throw, but it sounds like a lot!

The tubes I keep and give to my son, who seems to have great fun with them. Ideal for keeping beasties in, for playing ten pin bowling or just making a big stack before kicking them down again.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:03 pm

I put my freshly-emptied bottle under my pillow, and while I'm sleeping, the Whisky Fairy refills it! Unfortunately, the Whisky Fairy seems to be overstocked with Glentromie and Tobermory.
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:05 pm

I mainly recycle the empties, but I do save a few favoured bottles (e.g the 1969 Signatory Springbank, distilled on the day I was born which my dad got me as a graduation present and which has long since bitten the dust).

Mrs Fishboy has also turned a few interestingly shaped bottles (new Highland Park and Edradour decanter for example) into vases. Dip them in a clear PVA to preserve the label and off you go!

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 pm

martin grant wrote: Like v7 I love to hear the sound of breaking glass, and you get a great sound if you really throw your empty bottle into the glass bin.

I try really hard to get my bottles to land in the bin silently so that my neighbours don't hear how many bottles I get through! And obviously I don't put rubbish out on the Sabbath.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:19 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
martin grant wrote: Like v7 I love to hear the sound of breaking glass, and you get a great sound if you really throw your empty bottle into the glass bin.

I try really hard to get my bottles to land in the bin silently so that my neighbours don't hear how many bottles I get through! And obviously I don't put rubbish out on the Sabbath.

Nick that is the funniest thing I've read in ages.Image
les taylor

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:49 pm

It all goes out for recycling, glass, cardboard, tin, everything except the cork, I'm saving those to make a model of Cobh Harbour.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Cam » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:12 pm

For the most part all empties are destined for recycling. An interestingly shaped bottle may be saved by my wife or daughter (or myself).

Cam
Cam

Re: What do you do with the empties?

Postby dmcreyno » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:56 pm

I usually keep the first one of each type that I've paid more than $35.00USD. I drink Irish Whiskey too. I've thown out all the Bushnill bottles but have kept a Jameson 18, Redbreast, and ALL three of my Midelton's.

As for the Scotch, I am going to have to start getting picky. The display shelf is full and I have 7 bottles open right now: Macallan 12, Macallan 18, Dalwhinnie, Talisker 18, Lagavulin 16, Cragganmore 12, Glenkinchie.

The Macallan 12 I already have so I need homes for the other 6.
--
One over the eight. :dead:
dmcreyno

Postby Ardbeggar » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:10 pm

I toss all the bottles... even if it's a 34yr old Balvenie. I have, however, considered collecting enough tubes to make a rather large model rocket. 8)
Ardbeggar

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Mr TH: "It's my intent to peel ther labels off and put them in a book. I'm a little behind...."

Me too...WAY behind!! Latest empty adorning the office windowledge: Dailuaine 16.

I once collected tubes with intent to strap 'em together and make some kind of percussive musical instrument...never did, though!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:58 pm

On a side note, Do you wring every last dram out of your empties?
A friend pointed out that if you pour boiling water around the outside of the bottle, the last few dregs will pool in the bottom and allow a wee dram to enjoy. It actually works! I suspect one of his ancestors was involved in the proverbial creation of copper wire from a fight over a penny!
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:46 pm

MP I'll have to try that. But does not the boiling water do nasty things to the whisky. Like drive off the alcohol? I know it's not in contact with it. But the heat is there.

les taylor

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:52 pm

les taylor wrote:MP I'll have to try that. But does not the boiling water do nasty things to the whisky. Like drive off the alcohol? I know it's not in contact with it. But the heat is there.

It definitely makes the alcohol evaporate quicker. That's the entire point in distillation :-) But this is the wrong way around, you don't want the evaporating stuff, but what's left in the bottle.

I don't think the heat will affect the whisky any more than the fact that it was stuck against the glass of the almost empty bottle for a couple of months, exposed to air over the entire surface...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:53 pm

The bottle is only slightly heated, so the last fumes just condense and fall down. There really isn't sufficient to get much of a taste. It's just an "excessively frugal" thing to do, and I've only tried it once.
Muskrat
With appologies to K-Mile and his associates and SoI and his friends...
Do you know how copper wire was invented? A Scotsman and a Dutchman were fighting over a penny.
:D
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:With appologies to K-Mile and his associates and SoI and his friends...
Do you know how copper wire was invented? A Scotsman and a Dutchman were fighting over a penny.
:D

:lol:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:39 am

I recently finished my first bottle, an Highland Park 12yo...

Have kept it until now. serves as a filler on my shelves, but I think I'll throw it away when I replace the bottle... Or make it into an aquarium or something like that 8)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:37 am

Hello all:

I strip the labels off the bottles by soaking them overnight and then using a sharp single-edge razor, working it under the label and tediously (as well as patiently) pushing the blade underneath to separate it (the label) from the bottle. Some labels literally fall off the bottle after overnight soakings, though. (The only ones I haven't been able to remove via this method are the Laphroaig labels. They use some very nasty adhesive!) Once the labels have been removed, I discard the bottles. The labels are then put into the "Book of Drams" for future reference and pleasant memories. It has become a very thick book ... :-)

Slainte!

S'tan

P.S. Highland Park labels come off but they are quite messy to remove cleanly.
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder