Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Are you a Whisky Drinker or a Whisky Collector?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Are you a Whisky Drinker or Whisky Collector?

I am a Whisky Drinker.
53%
I am a Whisky Collector.
2%
I am both a Whisky Drinker and Whisky Collector.
46%

Total votes : 123

Are you a Whisky Drinker or a Whisky Collector?

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:42 pm

Are you a drinker or a collector?

Personally i am a whisky drinker, i have tried purchasing a few bottles with the intention of sticking them in the cupboard for a 5 or 10 years and watching their value increase but so far the temptation to open them has been to great. I just dont know how others manage it.

Also I find very strange those of you who collect whisky but not as an investment but simply to have a collection of rare whisky and not drink it.

Mark
Mark

Postby Cam » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:09 pm

I am strictly a whisky drinker. Don't have the extra funds to put toward all the whisky I would like to try let alone to use for hoarding or speculation.

Cam
Cam

Postby Leither » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:36 pm

I'm mainly a drinker but have a few in my collection that may come in handy for a rainy day should the need arise.

My small collection, picked up fairly inexpensively in sales etc, consists mainly of Ardbeg, Bladnoch and Brora, all of which are malts that I have a particular preference for. My policy from the outset has been that I would only add to my collection bottles that I would love to drink should they not accumulate in value/scarcity. Furthermore I only pick up a bottle when I perceive it to be a bargain.

Commonly collected malts are those from closed distilleries and the likes of the Rare Malts range. To my mind collecting seems to be all the rage just now as the common perception is that the price of single malts, and indeed whisky in general, is escalating.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:55 pm

Oh boy, I get to say it first:

I'm not a collector. I'm just behind in my drinking.

I have an inventory of 75 or 80 unopened bottles, but I tend to think of them as back stock, saved for the day when I can't buy so much any more. Don't know if I'll ever get around to them all, but in my mind they're for drinking. I honestly think it's weird to collect packaged comestible items--where's the real value? If it's the whisky itself, how do you know it's the real stuff in there, if you don't drink it? It all reminds me of Zippy the Pinhead's collection of Ding Dongs and Little Debbie Snack Cakes.

Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:25 pm

Mr T what a strange childhood you must have had. I never heard of Zippy and the pinheads and you not much older than me. We had Desperate Dan and the Bash street kids.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:30 pm

My childhood was very ordinary, Les. It's my adulthood that's getting stranger and stranger....

Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:48 pm

Yea it can get like that for all of us. I love the line " we're not shopping we just like to stand in line & watch what other people buy".

I could get into this. I did a search of amazon and found

1. Are We Having Fun Yet?: Zippy the Pinhead's 29 Day Guide to Random Activities and Arbitrary Donuts by Bill Griffith

2. Pinhead's Progress (Zippy Strips) by Bill Griffith (Paperback - April 1989)

What do you reccomend? both books under a £5 each.

:)
les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:24 pm

I'm also strictly a drinker. Although I have more than I can possibly drink for some time - it's bought with the intention of drinking not collecting.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Jan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:50 pm

I'm a drinker. But for some reason I can't explain, I buy more malts, than I can drink. While still a rank amateur compared to more than a few here, I have in the last year or so gone from 30 to almost 60 bottles - and I fear there's more to come.

So I have actually started to considering buying with a bit more forethought and perhaps finding a focus area or something.

Not becoming a collector as such, but putting together a drinking collection of nice malts, with a few precious ones among them.

Don't know - just loose thoughts at this point.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:13 pm

I started off my whisky journey fully intending to be a drinker. However over the last few months, I've found myself squirreling a few bottles away. I now find myself with two cupboards. One with about 20 open bottles ready for drinking and sharing. The second is my special cupboard, all for saving and has another 20 bottles in.

No idea why I'm saving them

:?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:54 pm

I have never nought a bottle without the intention of drinking it (except for gifts obviously). However, like many others apparently, I buy more than I drink. I currently have a backlog of about 20 unopened 750ml bottles & 7 200ml bottles. Most of them are bottles I bought while out of state where the selection is better or bottles that were on closeout in PA. I intend to drink all of them, but obviously that's going to take a while.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby badgerbrown » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:18 pm

I'm a drinker really, although I have got some more expensive bottlings that I have opened yet while I wait to find out whether I'm going to become rich enough to drink.
badgerbrown

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:40 am

Another drinker here. I usually have 8-10 bottles on hand and apart from keeping a bottle or 2 of Doublewood on hand I tend to buy something different everytime I purchase.
The other reason I don't collect is that my better half tells me I have too many collections of other things and we're running out of room.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:43 am

I used to buy more than I can drink when vintages got in a few cases of something I'd like to try. When the limited shipment runs out, no idea when that will be back. As it happens, prices have shot though the roof, so I'm extremely happy with my purchases as I will not be able to afford top shelf scotch in a few years. Actually, I can only afford it now if it's on sale...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:45 pm

I am not a collector, but to some it would appear that way especially since I have been trying to acquire some of the more famous bottles out there. Still, it is with the intention of drinking them all at some point.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:47 am

A collector & Drinker here .... Collect Irish Whiskey only

Drink anything :wink:

Love my scotch but will never get into the collecting of same ... eventhough I do have a few special bottles waiting for the right moment.... :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wave » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Mr T said it first, "I'm not a collector. I'm just behind in my drinking"
So true, so true! 8)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:02 pm

I did seriously buy to collect for a while. And drank malts and blends under £30.

Earlier this year i thought 'why??'

yesterday i bought a bottle of 'Black Bottle' its the first bottle i have bought in 7 months.

I have however made a huge dent in my stock pile, and i am enjoying every dram!

No more collecting for me. I can not see the point in it any more. Drinking only now.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Wave wrote:Mr T said it first, "I'm not a collector. I'm just behind in my drinking"
So true, so true! 8)

Cheers!

First on this thread--but I stole it from somebody here. Can't remember who at the moment!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:14 pm

Found it--WestVanDave.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:39 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Found it--WestVanDave.

Thanks for finding that "needle in a haystack" Mr. T... but I was shocked when you attributed that gem to little old me... I'm sure I must have stolen it from someone - and can't remember who... (like most of my "original thoughts")...

Ive just returned from a couple of weeks in the Okanagan... and I'm falling behind in my drinking... and as a friend has just brought back a delivery from Alberta for me (more than a few bottles) I'm also back into "interim collecting mode"...

Now where are those friends when I need them... back to work post Labour Day!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:26 am

I wanted to be the first to vote for "Collector", but I do drink whisky as well.

However, I do keep the two separate.
I have my collection which is for investment and will not be drunk (by me) and then I have whisky which I drink.

Oh, I also have other whisky which I sell - to be collected or drunk!
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Mike Ralston » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:54 am

I'm with you MT...

When I started drinking malts I was frantically collecting rare editions; Glenmorangie Tain L'Hermitage, Very Old Ardbeg etc etc. After a few months I realised that my eyes were bigger than my pocket, and for many years have restricted myself to collecting one distillery only (Springbank)...

I would say that I buy maybe one bottle a week for the 'drinking' cupboard, but no more than 2 or three bottles a year for the 'investment' cellar.

Still, I think it's better than collecting stamps or investing in stocks & shares; I can always change my mind and drink my investment!
Mike Ralston

Postby Leither » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:25 am

WestVanDave wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Found it--WestVanDave.

Thanks for finding that "needle in a haystack" Mr. T... but I was shocked when you attributed that gem to little old me... I'm sure I must have stolen it from someone - and can't remember who... (like most of my "original thoughts")...

I think this saying also applies to me as well.

Anyway, to save any more head-scratching as to where it came from, it is the signature of one of our Danish friends:

Slainte
Karl Ejnar
----------------
I'm not collecting whisky - just behind in drinking it
Leither
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:36 am

Well spotted Leither!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:49 pm

I knew Dave wasn't that clever!

Should have remembered it was Karl Ejnar, but it didn't turn up in a search, because it was in his signature. Glad to have the attribution straight--don't mind stealing a line, but it's good to know who you're stealing from.

Now Karl Ejnar needs to tell us who he stole it from....
Deactivated Member

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:22 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I'm not a collector. I'm just behind in my drinking.

Maybe i should have made this an option in the poll as it seems to apply to so many.

If anyone needs a hand catching up with their drinking I would gladly volunteer.

Mark
Mark

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:42 pm

I am a drinker first and lately a collector. I am partial to Islay products like a lot of people in the forum. I like all of the Islay malts and Campbelltown also like Springbank and Longrow.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:26 am

Like most people here I consider myself primarily a drinker, thought the colection of unopened bottles gradually seems to be taking over the room.

Maybe we're just overambitious about our drinking. (You have to have some ambition!)
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:48 am

I always collected with the intention to drink but i dont feel I can justify sitting on all that valuable whisky when
A) there are other more useful things that would benefit my family and cost money
B)The expensive bottles become too valuable to open.
C) I could pop my clogs tomorrow and never even get to enjoy those bottles.
As a result I'm selling off the bulk of my collection and will be concentrating my future whisky purchases on less valuable bottles which I can open immediately and drink with a clear guilt free conscience. I've just put 7 bottles on ebay including a couple of PEs ,an Ardbeg and a Brora and I will post the other bottles I intend to sell on the forum shortly.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Re:

Postby Knolly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:34 am

This is my situation exactly!

Nicely put - cheers!

Jan wrote:I'm a drinker. But for some reason I can't explain, I buy more malts, than I can drink. While still a rank amateur compared to more than a few here, I have in the last year or so gone from 30 to almost 60 bottles - and I fear there's more to come.

So I have actually started to considering buying with a bit more forethought and perhaps finding a focus area or something.

Not becoming a collector as such, but putting together a drinking collection of nice malts, with a few precious ones among them.

Don't know - just loose thoughts at this point.
Knolly
Silver Member

Re: Are you a Whisky Drinker or a Whisky Collector?

Postby smokey » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:48 pm

I have to admit to collecting. Specifically, I'm picking up bottles of Ichiro's malt, the card series. I tell myself that it's for my retirement. Someday, when I'm back in the States, if they have increased dramaticaly in value, I'll sell them (except the king of diamonds... :D I have three of them and will definitly drink at least two.)

I know that whisky is meant to be consumed, but I like the feeling of knowing that even if it doesn't increase in value, it will never depreciate, at least as far as im concerned.
smokey

Postby woodhill » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:29 pm

I do collect the odd bottle I like to always buy 2 of everything 1 to drink and one to put away.

I've also picked up some bargains on ebay in the past that i will probably never drink but sell in a few years and buy 10-15 drinking bottles with.

for example my 1965 17yo macallan bought for under £100
and my black label Glen Flagler 5yo
I might be tempted to open my 35yo Inverleven though at least they provided a mini!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:44 pm

I drink, I don't collect. I don't even have many bottles at any time - at the moment I have 7 open, and 3 unopen. Buying whisky is an ongoing thing - I don't need to stockpile cos there are always more whiskies in the shop, and new and interesting expressions being released.

For me a whisky collection would just be additional clutter - I already unintentionally hoard too many other things (but they're always so very important for me to have, at the moment of purchase!)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:47 am

I am a drinker not a collector and like most others here I am behind in my drinking. I don't have the money to be a collector or more precisely my wife won't let me spend the money to be a collector. Anyways that is probably good as self control is not a stong point of mine and I drink the bottles that were meant for the colllection. Sigh. I think she knows me to well.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder