Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Are you a Whisky Drinker or a Whisky Collector?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Are you a Whisky Drinker or Whisky Collector?

I am a Whisky Drinker.
53%
I am a Whisky Collector.
2%
I am both a Whisky Drinker and Whisky Collector.
45%

Total votes : 128

Re: Are you a Whisky Drinker or a Whisky Collector?

Postby kyorke1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 pm

Thanks ryguy!
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby MacLlyr » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:57 am

I collect so that I can drink exceptional whisky in the future!
MacLlyr

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:40 pm

woodhill wrote:I'm glad we have established one thing.

There is nobody here who collects but doesn't drink!

Cheers :thumbsup:

We have one of these now, according to the poll. But I suspect there are rather more of them around these days...
Deactivated Member

Postby vengey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:49 am

It's a difficult question to answer, for me anyway.

If I buy 5 or so bottles, I will see which ones I really like and then order another 2. I sell it to myself with the following line "well, it might not be readily available in the near future"

Of course, it also helps knowing that good Whisky doesn't really lose it's value and is likely to only gain. So, in my mind, I'm not really spending money, I'm investing :D
vengey

Postby smokey » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:45 am

Been a long time gents. I've left Japan. Wonderful country. Terrible laws regarding children and custody when things can't be reconciled. I've landed back in the states, and am raising two small children by myself. I appreciate those that say whisky should be consumed and not hoarded, their sentiment that is, but after seeing what the card series went for in the last auction in Hong Kong, I feel luc..... no. That's not the right word. I haven't felt lucky for years. I feel validated.
I no longer have the resources I once did. After lawyers and the transition that was every bit as difficult as I had expected, it turns out that those bottles of whisky may be the one thing that can get me on my feet. I did get those 3 kings back, as well as quite a few others including the ace that someone paid very dear for a few weeks ago. To drink that whisky now?? I couldn't. It would be irresponsible. It could put my lawyer in my rearview mirror, get me the tools that I need for my new career, and I'd still have enough to get a case of green spot, which I truly miss, having consumed the three bottles I brought over years ago.
Gotta catch up and see what Badmonkey and the Admiral have posted.
Slàinte
smokey

Postby robbi@laurenson.com » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:52 pm

I have a reconnaissance/acquisition mindset...I drink first, but if I find something I really like I'll buy another bottle and put it away. I'm about 9 years in now at 45 years of age, and at some years later point will start cracking the bottles I've saved. I only have 15 or so bottles so far, so I'm not collecting at a rapid rate at all...maybe one or two a year.

My intention is not to hoard against future value, but rather to get a second chance at something really good later, and to trigger memories of good times gone by. There's nothing like smell and taste to take you back in time, and I should have a lovely stockpile of bottled memories to get through a few years from now.

And of course it keeps rolling...find a good'un, put another away. I hope my daughter drinks whisky one day :).
robbi@laurenson.com

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder