Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glencairn Referendum

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

The Glencairn Glass is:

the best glass available; I use it almost exclusively
34%
a good glass, one of several I use
39%
okay, but I prefer something else
16%
useless
No votes
I don't have an opinion, but feel left out if I can't vote for something
10%

Total votes : 61

Glencairn Referendum

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:54 pm

Not wishing to steal the thunder from the ongoing "Type of glass" poll, but it got me to thinking about this particular glass, and whether folks think it really is the perfect whisky glass. I loved it when it first appeared, but find myself less enamored of it now; I have a good collection of them, but never use them at home. Still, I'm perfectly happy to be given one in a pub. They were intended for the bar trade, after all.

How do you feel about the Glencairn glass?
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:45 pm

It's my glass of choice at home. I have them with Whisky live, Bruichladdich, tobermory, talisker, Laphroiag, Gordon & MacPhail and Remi Macintosh design etched on them.

I do have tulips and snifters but I prefer the Glencairn it's not too big, you can pour a dram up to the bit where it stops flaring out. It sits nice in the hand and is robust but with style. It's also good for nosing. I like it.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:57 pm

The Glencairn glass is not a glass I ever use at home, and one I seldom see in any bar.

If I'm drinking any whisky I've tasted before I'm happy for it to be served (or poured by myself) into a decent tumbler.

For a dram I haven't had before, or really want to make an effort with I always look to have it served in a large wine glass. This really helps with the aromas and the taste. Probably just because I can really swirl it and let the air in.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:13 pm

i use whatever.... the only thing i stop at using i guess would be a pint glass....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Cam » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:46 pm

For single malt I use the Glencairn religiously when at home. Have not seen one in a bar, then I request a small brand shifter.

Cam
Cam

Postby SoMK » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:07 pm

Glencairn at home too but I admit that the pict of the Michael Jackson's glass posted on the other thread was quite a beautiful item.. *checking them out on the web*
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:27 pm

As most of you know I run whisky tastings, gourmet evenings of fine whisky and food and also a bar which has a great whisky selection.

At home I use either the Glencairn glass or a normal nosing one (Signatory).

In my whisky tastings and Gourmet evenings I use either the signatory or Bugatti nosing glass.

In my bar I have all three glasses (Signatory, Bugatti and Glencairn) and use whichever comes to hand first or which people ask for.
From experience, the normal Signatory nosing glass is most requested and the Glencairn the least. But I put that down to people not really knowing the Glencairn glass.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:33 pm

By the way Mr T I loved the way you set up the vote. I know which way you voted. You naughty boy.
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:09 am

Actually, I didn't vote until just now--if I put up a poll, I never want to be the first to vote.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:00 am

I use solely glencairns, but has recently begun thinking of broadening my selection and try out a few other options, perhaps buying a tasting glass or something.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:08 am

I used the Spiegelau Single Malt Snifter untill someone bought the Glencairn glasses for me a couple of years ago. I thought they were the best thing to happen since sliced bread....... The Spiegelaus are now collecting dust.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Leither » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:23 am

I only use a Glencairn now with a malt that I fell I know fairly well - after say half a dozen or so drams or around a third of the bottle.

For my first few drams I use a small, Highland Park branded, nosing (sherry-style) glass - I would really hate to break this wee glass (which will happen some day is it is pretty delicate) as I've not seen anything similar.

I occasionally use an Ardeg/Glenmorangie nosing glass, the tulip shaped type, but find my HP glass better to explore a new malt.

I think it all depends on the shape of your neb (nose!) and what you feel comfortable with but I certainly find the Glencairn the best session glass and haven't broken one yet.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:40 pm

I find it hard to get past the Glencairn. Other nosing glasses are grand but too fragile for my mitts. I'm terrified of breaking them so seldom use!
Deactivated Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:44 pm

I use the Glencairn mostly for daily pours and my stemmed Ardbeg nosing glasses I ordered from the distillery when I'm taking notes. I have a wider variety for my beer selections.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:34 pm

I have several types, but it is usually the Glencairn that I reach for.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Re: Glencairn Referendum

Postby mithril » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:12 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Not wishing to steal the thunder from the ongoing "Type of glass" poll, but it got me to thinking about this particular glass, and whether folks think it really is the perfect whisky glass. I loved it when it first appeared, but find myself less enamored of it now; I have a good collection of them, but never use them at home. Still, I'm perfectly happy to be given one in a pub. They were intended for the bar trade, after all.

How do you feel about the Glencairn glass?

I've yet to see a bar in my area that uses the Glencairn, and that includes the specific whisky bar which carries more than 140 expressions. Personally I have several but tend to agree with you on this. On a lark I used one last night for the first time in some while, but typically I use my tulip shaped copitas. My one complaint against the Glencairn is that as a tumbler you generally hold it by the bowl and that gets fingerprints and smudges everywhere which rather takes away from the look of the whisky itself. It's a small complaint and probably rather petty when considered that it has no bearing on either the nose or palate of the drink, but it's just one of those little pet peeves that I can't escape.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Besides, Richard Paterson will kill you if he sees you holding the glass like that.

(Oh, get over it, Mr Tattie Heid.)

Glencairn, copita, snifter, whatever...handwarming certainly does have a bearing on the nose and palate, which is why I do it, smudges be damned (and why Paterson tells you not to, for that matter). It's one of the reasons I'm not so crazy about the Glencairn any more--the thick base makes it difficult to wrap the hand around the bowl efficiently. Others here have complained about the thickness of the glass slowing warming, but I don't think that in itself is such a bother.

The only pubs I've seen the Glencairn in, off the top of my head, were the Bow Bar in Edinburgh, the Pot Still in Glasgow (I think!), and the Lunar Rogue in Fredericton, New Brunswick. There have probably been others in the UK, but I don't specifically recall. It's a shame it's not more widespread, despite my misgivings for the glass--its sturdiness is what suits it for the pub.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:36 pm

We had a whisky in a pub on saturday and it was like one of those many sided glasses you get for cleaning your teeth in a hotel chain. It did nothing for the whisky. You sort of wish they had a Glencairn.

:o
les taylor

Postby Ganga » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:26 pm

For each whisky there is a glass. My experiences have been that some whiskies fit me better coming out of particular glasses. I use the glencairns, Ardbeg nosing glasses, various sized snifters, and the occasional tumbler for that whisky you want to de-intensify the nose.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bond » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:04 am

I have had whisky from Glencairn glasses a few times though I do not own any. Its not easy to buy them here and I was not tempted to lug them from the Whisky Exchange when I went there. Had enough fragile stuff already!

The 2 glasses that I own are a Bowmore and Bruichladdich. Both came free with the bottle. :wink: I personally prefer the wider base of the Laddie glass though the bowmore glass is better for nosing. Can't say I rate the glencairn ahead of either of these though.
bond
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:18 am

I generally use the Glencairn, as I seem to have accumulated a load of them, and anyway it centainly does the job better that a tumbler or most other glasses. I've 2 other nosing glasses I use sometimes.

Never seen it in a pub but would be delighted to.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:40 am

I prefer a snifter. I like the shape of the Glencairn, and for tasting whisky it's great, but for nosing I think the snifter can't be beat. However, Mrs. l'chaim bought me one for my 50th, so I kind of have to use it. When I do my tasting notes, though, I use the snifter.
l'chaim

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:03 am

I'm surprised more people don't prefer a snifter. There is a greater surface area of whisky to evaporate into a larger bowl, and more surface for the palm to warm it. Definitely my preference as well, l'chaim.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:02 am

They're good glasses but I don't use them for serious work and more for social drinking. I like the decorations and have many, many glasses. They are alos solid which is a great feature for a drinker.

:wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Gov » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:02 am

What is the proper way to hold this glass?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:13 am

Gov wrote:What is the proper way to hold this glass?

Generally with the opening facing up!

except of couse during drinking when "bottom's up" is more appropriate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 am

woodhill wrote:
Gov wrote:What is the proper way to hold this glass?

Generally with the opening facing up!

except of couse during drinking when "bottom's up" is more appropriate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew I would be in for it asking this question! :oops:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 am

As I've said earlier in this thread I much prefer Glencairn. However, when thinking about glasses in general isn't it probably right that there is no such thing as the perfect glass? We all have different abilities regarding our noses and mouths just like we wear different shapes and sizes of shoes and trousers. Isn't it so that some prefer to "stick their nose" closer to the matter at hand while others easily pick up scents without making an effort? Similarly one could say that a glass which distributes spirit well into one mouth or tongue won't nessecarily work very well with the person next to him?
Mr Fjeld

Postby fishboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:16 am

I tend to use a Glencairn at home almost exclusively. I've managed to accumulate 20-odd glasses over the years, from various tasting events and distillery visits. As well as being excellent tasting glasses I find them really robust and hard wearing.

The only exception is when I use my last Ardbeg tulip tasting glass with lid. I really like these glasses as well but with my clumsy mits they are almost disposable! :oops:

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:43 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:As I've said earlier in this thread I much prefer Glencairn. However, when thinking about glasses in general isn't it probably right that there is no such thing as the perfect glass? We all have different abilities regarding our noses and mouths just like we wear different shapes and sizes of shoes and trousers. Isn't it so that some prefer to "stick their nose" closer to the matter at hand while others easily pick up scents without making an effort? Similarly one could say that a glass which distributes spirit well into one mouth or tongue won't nessecarily work very well with the person next to him?

Great point Mr Fjeld!! Yes of course, I agree, we're all different, and we can change to confuse matters even more. So the perfect glass? Who is the taster, and of course, as usual, what's the mood of the taster??
Di Blasi

Postby mattbuty » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 pm

HP18 in a Glencairn glass. It really does not get much better than this.

Great product. Brilliant.
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 pm

fishboy wrote:
The only exception is when I use my last Ardbeg tulip tasting glass with lid. I really like these glasses as well but with my clumsy mits they are almost disposable! :oops:

FB

I bit one of my Ardbeg nosing glasses and it shattered in my mouth. VERY thin!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 pm

woodhill wrote:
fishboy wrote:

FB

I bit one of my Ardbeg nosing glasses and it shattered in my mouth. VERY thin!

J your doing it wrong. The glasses are for drinking out of. You gotta keep your teeth behind your lips. :wink:
les taylor

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 pm

some whiskies are so rich you can eat them :lol:

I do know how to use a whisky glass (see the fantastic easy-to-follow advice I gave Gov earlier on in the thread) this was after emptying the glass I was messing around with it absent-mindedly whilst reading :oops:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:57 am

Got (2) glencairn glasses today (thx e-bay!) I have been dramming this evening and enjoying this new experience very much :P First I had a dram of Bowmore Legend, then Islay Mist and right now Black Bottle NAS. These glasses are much better than what I have been drinking whisky out of. Remember I am still a newbie, but what a great new experience!! Anyway, sorry about all the excitement but I am really loving this new whisky thing. I can't believe it took so long for me to enjoy different whiskies. :empty:
Gov
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder