Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glencairn Referendum

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

The Glencairn Glass is:

the best glass available; I use it almost exclusively
34%
a good glass, one of several I use
39%
okay, but I prefer something else
16%
useless
No votes
I don't have an opinion, but feel left out if I can't vote for something
10%

Total votes : 61

Re: Glencairn Referendum

Postby Danny » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:49 pm

When dramming at home, by myself I exclusively use the Glencairn, one five types of noseing/tasting glasses I have. When dramming with friends I usually use a whisky tumbler.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:52 pm

Please see picture of my new glass on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7641&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Used a Glencairn for the 1st time last night, have to admit wasn't that impressed (Maybe I am using it wrong :P )!

But I did leave it on the radiator to dry it, so it was warm when I put the Glenmorangie 10 in. Didn't seem to release the aromas as sigificantly as I thought it would. (But the macallan 10 I put it after seemed alot more aromatic)

I've been using the glasses from the Glenmorangie 10 gift pack, they're not bad, much more pleasurable to drink from than the Glencairn.

Heated them up on the radiator last week (to simulate handwarming) before putting the whisky in, it seemed to magnify the aromas 10 fold!!
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Newbie wrote:Used a Glencairn for the 1st time last night, have to admit wasn't that impressed (Maybe I am using it wrong :P )!

But I did leave it on the radiator to dry it, so it was warm when I put the Glenmorangie 10 in. Didn't seem to release the aromas as sigificantly as I thought it would. (But the macallan 10 I put it after seemed alot more aromatic)

I've been using the glasses from the Glenmorangie 10 gift pack, they're not bad, much more pleasurable to drink from than the Glencairn.

Heated them up on the radiator last week (to simulate handwarming) before putting the whisky in, it seemed to magnify the aromas 10 fold!!

Keep practicing with it, maybe it will get better. Or maybe the Glencairn just doesn't like to be warmed first on the radiator???
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Newbie wrote:Used a Glencairn for the 1st time last night, have to admit wasn't that impressed (Maybe I am using it wrong :P )!

Richard Paterson (whyte and Mackay Master Blender) has been known to threaten to kill people for warming their whisky, prior to tasting.

Apparently whisky is not Brandy :o
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:32 pm

fishboy wrote:

Richard Paterson (whyte and Mackay Master Blender) has been known to threaten to kill people for warming their whisky, prior to tasting.

Apparently whisky is not Brandy :o

Richard Paterson should kill Jim Murray then! He loves his whisky, holding it close, cuddling it, warming it up before he tastes it, yummy!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Newbie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:17 am

I just thought it would be an interesting experiment!

:shock: Who knows maybe I'll put ice in my whisky next week :shock:

Have both the master blenders and the whisky snobs on my back :P

But on a serious note, I am just trying different ways to enjoy my whisky - seeing how different temperatures, glasses, dilution will affect the flavours
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:54 am

Newbie wrote:I just thought it would be an interesting experiment!

:shock: Who knows maybe I'll put ice in my whisky next week :shock:

Have both the master blenders and the whisky snobs on my back :P

But on a serious note, I am just trying different ways to enjoy my whisky - seeing how different temperatures, glasses, dilution will affect the flavours

Great point Newbie, "trying different ways to enjoy my whisky" is the best thing to do in my opinion. I like to do the same thing!
Di Blasi

Postby lohssanami » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:26 am

I don't have a Glencairn glass. :evil:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:39 am

lohssanami wrote:I don't have a Glencairn glass. :evil:

It's easy to get hold of lohssanami. It's now even possible to have your name engraved - there should be some information about it somewhere on this forum.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6595

Although one should do as one pleases I'm with Richard Paterson; I don't like handwarming - it destroyes the balance just as it does with wine, or Cognac for that matter.
Mr Fjeld

Postby lohssanami » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks Mr Fjeld...

Now I need to figure out if I want to get the dozen and get friends to go in on it with me.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:39 pm

I do like the glass (even though it is small from Hangar 1/St George).

You can just order up various Glencairn's on eBay.

But I have a small collection of Glencairn's from various shows. I could give you one at our taisting (incentive).

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:14 pm

mikeymad wrote:

I do like the glass (even though it is small from Hangar 1/St George).

You can just order up various Glencairn's on eBay.

But I have a small collection of Glencairn's from various shows. I could give you one at our taisting (incentive).

Cheers,

Bribery goes along ways. :shock: :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder