Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Favourite Islay poll experiment

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What is your favourite Islay distillery

Ardbeg
25%
Bowmore
6%
Bruichladdich
10%
Bunnahabhain
3%
Caol Ila
9%
Laphroaig
17%
Lagavulin
18%
Port Ellen
9%
Kilchoman
1%

Total votes : 201

Re: Favourite Islay poll experiment

Postby Matt2 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:44 pm

8) Could have done with 4 votes, but I guess that last vote will always be a hard one to decide on.
Matt2

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:14 pm

My first thought was, "What CAN I eliminate?" Decisions, decisions. Ok, we can eliminate Kilchoman as I've only had the new make. :dead:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:49 pm

I guess that my first favorite is still my old favorite - The Bowmore.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Multiple choice polls!
I like it

:)
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Port Ellen, not necessarily in that order. I like the multiple poll 'though. Pretty neat stuff popping up in the Forums lately, well done Matt and your little whisky programmers.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Very tricky question really. Because all the Islay's are outstanding in their own right. However One of my first Bowmores was the 17. Which I still love to this day. The Bruichladdich's I think have some amazing and different expressions. I have nearly 40 in my collection so that cannot be ignored. And of course the power of the Ardbeg. They too have quite a good range. It's a shame the poll was only limited to three votes.

les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:43 am

les taylor wrote:The Bruichladdich's I think have some amazing and different expressions. I have nearly 40 in my collection so that cannot be ignored.

:shock: Les, I have just over 40 bottles in total
Someone on the forum once said it was like chosing between ones children. It's a hard one so I'll say this; Ardbeg for always being fantastic, plus it brought me into the fold again. Lagavulin for also being fantastic - just love the added sherry character of the 16! Caol Ila for being fantastic - and just think what a fantastic whisky the 12 is for so little? No other whisky offer that wonderful kalamata oil-like quality and pepper! Laphroaig for being equaly as fantastic - the 10 cask strength is pure rocket fuel and leaves you with a "what hit me" expression on the face!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Monkey Hanger » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:22 pm

Laphroig 10yo is the bottle that sparked my ove of whisky. I've owned and consumed over 30 different malts these past few years but Laphroig is the only one I renew! :thumbsup:
Monkey Hanger

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Monkey Hanger wrote:Laphroig 10yo is the bottle that sparked my ove of whisky. I've owned and consumed over 30 different malts these past few years but Laphroig is the only one I renew! :thumbsup:

Hi Monkey hanger great name for someone coming from Hartlepool and welcome to the forums.

les taylor

Postby martin grant » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:45 pm

Yup, welcome to the forums Monkey Hanger. Hopefully you can find the time to spend here, read a bit and share your whisky thoughts.

Apologies for being a little slow, however. Why is 'Monkey Hanger' such a great name for a Hartlepool lad? (Sorry, but I'm just guessing you're a lad. Please feel free to give me a swearing if I'm wrong)

Cheers
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:50 pm

We do not have Kilchoman here in the US. I am not even aware of 100%Islay whisky, not recalling if I have seen it or not. Something to watch out for and taste someday.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:57 pm

martin grant wrote:Yup, welcome to the forums Monkey Hanger. Hopefully you can find the time to spend here, read a bit and share your whisky thoughts.

Apologies for being a little slow, however. Why is 'Monkey Hanger' such a great name for a Hartlepool lad? (Sorry, but I'm just guessing you're a lad. Please feel free to give me a swearing if I'm wrong)

Cheers

I'll leave it for Monkey Hanger to explain but it goes back to the wars with the French. You know us English Martin we've had wars with everyone. :angel:
les taylor

Postby martin grant » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:55 pm

les taylor wrote: I'll leave it for Monkey Hanger to explain but it goes back to the wars with the French. You know us English Martin we've had wars with everyone. :angel:

Thanks Les, just had a wee look at another of my favourite sites, wikipedia and followed a link to learn this about the famous hanging monkey of Hartlepool.

http://www.thisishartlepool.co.uk/history/thehartlepoolmonkey.asp

Why am I not surpised that this whole story involves the English being at war with someone yet again!!

The Auld Alliance is a famous treaty between Scotland and France dating back to 1293. This alliance basically means that if England were to try and invade Scotland, then France would fight on our side. Likewise if the English were to try anything against the French they would face the might of the Scottish bravehearts.

Just a wee reminder. You guys hang one more monkey, and I'll be really really cross!

:P

Anyway, back on topic - I'm really looking forward to trying some aged Kilchoman. As I've mentioned before I really liked the new make spirit. Perhaps my votes will change in a few years time
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:23 pm

Caol Ila, PE, Ardbeg in that order.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Monkey Hanger » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:24 pm

martin grant wrote:Yup, welcome to the forums Monkey Hanger. Hopefully you can find the time to spend here, read a bit and share your whisky thoughts.

Cheers

The story goes like this:-

Diring the Napoleonic wars, a French warship got washed up on the Hartlepool coast. The only survivor was the ship's mascot - a monkey dressed in a french sailor suit. Back then Hartlepool wasn't (and compared to most towns or cities still isn't!!!) very cosmopolitan. As a result no-one in the town had seen a Frenchman before. Since this strange little chap couldn't speak englsh, it was assumed he must be French. Consequently, he was tried before the town court, found guilty of spying, and sentenced to death by hanging.

Many outsiders have tried to poke fun at us Hartlepuddlians by shouting 'Who hung the monkey?'

The usual response is 'Why? Have you lost your father?!!'
Monkey Hanger

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:26 pm

:lol: That's a great story Monkey hanger!
- and welcome to this great forum!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:11 am

Nice one, much easier to pick a top three than just a single favourite.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby ronnestam » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:56 pm

My favorite has always been Lagavulin until I lay my hands on the Caol Ila Distillers edition the other day. What a beauty!
:angel:
ronnestam

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:29 pm

The ones I go for the most are Laphs, Lagas & Bows.

So they hve to be my 3, straight and simple.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby zippy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:23 pm

I went for Lagavulin, Port Ellen and Ardbeg

As I can't afford Port Ellen on a regular basis, in practice I'd probably go for Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Laphroaig
zippy

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:01 pm

My three choices were Lagavulin, Caol Ila, and Ardbeg. Though in Fairness I have only had one dram of Bunnahabhain.

I am surprised to see Lagavulin running behind Laphroaig (25-23).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby K-Mile » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:10 am

I've only had Bowmore, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg..

I like them all :thumbsup:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:14 am

K-Mile wrote:I've only had Bowmore, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg..

K-M you have to experiment a little more for sure!
Those are good drams but you are missing a lot too.
Find yourself a CS Caol Ila, sit in a corner, turn the lights down, imagine yourself out walking on a crisp and clear Winter morning and let yourself be carried away by the warming smoke and peat of the dram!

Alternatively, a good Bunny will transport you immediately to a Scottish beach with lots of sea air.

But don't leave out Laphroaig, Port Ellen, Bruichladdich and when it comes, Kilchoman!
:D
Deactivated Member

Postby Sphinx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:19 am

I chose
Caol Ila, Ardbeg and Lagavulin, in that order.
But thats a tough call, they all make goooooood whisky.

Sláinte math.
Sphinx

Postby K-Mile » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:35 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:
K-Mile wrote:I've only had Bowmore, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg..

K-M you have to experiment a little more for sure!
Those are good drams but you are missing a lot too.
Find yourself a CS Caol Ila, sit in a corner, turn the lights down, imagine yourself out walking on a crisp and clear Winter morning and let yourself be carried away by the warming smoke and peat of the dram!

Alternatively, a good Bunny will transport you immediately to a Scottish beach with lots of sea air.

But don't leave out Laphroaig, Port Ellen, Bruichladdich and when it comes, Kilchoman!
:D

No wait! I've had that one as well. Not a whisky yet, but definitely Islay ;)

I know, but it's only been six weeks since my first dram, so I didn't have the time or money to try all this yet. I already have around 7 opened bottles, and 20 more waiting for me. Amongst them are a 'Laddie 1984, two PE's, and a Caol Ila (or was it a Laphroaig?) is on its way from the SMWS. I keep on forgetting which one it is, but I'm pretty sure it was an Islay I did not have yet.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:19 am

When it comes to Caol Ila (a distillery which I rank amongst my favourite 3-4) I always prefer a CS version at 58% or more.
You will notice the difference from the normal strengths and if it's too strong, you can always add a little water, which this one benefits from anyway.

Two excellent versions which I enjoyed withing the last year are:
JWWW "Castles" collection almost 60%
Cadenhead 11y "Authentic Collection" 59.6%

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby bond » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:34 am

pkt77242 wrote:

I am surprised to see Lagavulin running behind Laphroaig (25-23).

Sean

Not anymore. Surprised to see Laddie have a much lesser share of votes than I expected. Perhaps, its not as widely sampled as some of the other, more widely available Islays have been
bond
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Strange that Bowmore is that low on the list. I like Bowmore, but I am having an Ardbeg TEN right now before dinner, and my, that is a fine dram. Not strange to see that one on top..
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby grazza » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:23 pm

first 2 votes were easy for me - laphroiag and bruchladdich. i adore all thing laphroiag and it was the 10 yr bruchladdich that converted me to single malts. the thrid was a bit tricky but decided it had to be the ardbeg another truely great!
grazza

Postby K-Mile » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:01 am

Had my first dram of Laphroaig 25yo last Friday, and I can say that definitely deserves a place on my list. Probably kicks Lagavulin from my third place. Will have to spend some more time with to see if this can become my favorite Islay (so far)...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 am

Bruichladdich, for their variety but still stunning stuff for the most part. Ardbeg for being consistantly wonderful from base expression to the top dollar stuff. Laphroaig just for being an awesome dram.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:54 am

Ardbeg gets my top vote cause it's what got me started and passionate about whisky! Bruichladdich is number 2 cause when I finally stopped enjoying ONLY Ardbeg, it was Bruichladdich that I started with. And Port Ellen cause it's no longer. But they're all good!!
Di Blasi

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder