Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

One Must Go

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which Islay distillery would you least miss if it closed?

Ardbeg
6%
Bowmore
32%
Bruichladdich
11%
Bunnahabhain
29%
Caol Ila
3%
Port Ellen
13%
Lagavulin
3%
Laphroaig
3%

Total votes : 63

One Must Go

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:42 pm

Everyone always seems to be talking about their favorite Islay. I thought it might be interesting to select the Islay distillery you'd miss the least if it closed. Kilchoman has been excluded for obvious reasons.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: One Must Go

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:46 pm

I vote for Bunnahabhain. I've only tried the 12 which is perfectly ok but I like the others too much to see them go.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:47 pm

I was tempted to vote for Port Ellen, but a friend told me it is already closed, so I went for Bowmore instead - easy choice.

I did invite them at Whisky Live to try and tempt me back, but they were more intersted in what I thought of the new packaging!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby jcasazza » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:56 pm

tough choice, like most of them , i had to pick one i havent tried yet
jcasazza

Postby mikeymad » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:11 pm

Not sure if I like an anti-beverage thread.

The easy choice, is Port Ellen, it IS closed.....

But to vote for one that COULD be closed - I vote for Bunnahabhain. Their recent old ones have peaked an interest. But I am not sure how much I would miss it compared to the others.

A second choice for me would be between Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin. They seem to be slight variations on a theme of peat. All good. So dropping Laphroaig, I stil have the other two to play with.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:28 pm

I went for the easy vote with Port Ellen, as pointed out above, it is already gone. If I had to choose another it would be Caol Ila. While I've enjoyed plenty of their output I don't remember going up to the Caol Ila sized gap on my whisky shelf and cursing its absence. All the other Islay distilleries are represented and bottled would be replaced pretty quickly if I finished one.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:35 pm

I know how many of you feel. I thought it was an easy choice about 2 years ago but more and more I'm developing a taste for the Bunnie. I think in part it was the 21 yo Signatory bottling and the recent release of the OB 18.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:23 pm

I don't want any of them to go, since I have only tasted two different distilleries! I want to try the others too, so let's keep them around shall we :D
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:09 pm

This is a good topic indeed because it's clever, it's too easy to tell the best one less which one to dismiss.This is even less easy when all distilleries are so good.
For example I had the 12 bunna(ob early 80 first italian import)and wow that's great!
Anyway I voted the laddie.
It's likely they make great whisky but for me it's the distillery that less transmits me an emotional feeling(even if I do not why...Eh, Can we keep them all? :mrgreen: )
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:08 pm

I voted for Bowmore because of two reasons , (1) the whisky has steadily got worse since i first went over to Islay ( Bowmore 10yo was my Fav Islay back then....) , i tend to avoid it like the plague now , all the recent bottlings i've tried have been awful . (2) The sheer arrogance of their market department at the last 2 masterclasses i attended at The Feis Ile ( 2005 was the last one) . I now would not miss them one bit if they vanished .

I must say on the way the voting has gone i would definitely miss Bunnahabhain , if you can get past the standard bottlings ( 12, 18 , 25) they have stunning whisky ! I've seen it , and tried it , in the warehouses , lots of the I.B.'s are fantastic (Sukhinders 27yo recent bottling , my best bottling of the year so far) .
A Note to BSD....(especially the Marketing Dept )
Please release the 12/18/25yo at 46% , NCF , uncoloured .
Please release more at the above specifications and at a reasonable price !
Do something with the 1997 Moine ! it's superb !! Make the others sit up and take notice of it !
That was a Whisky Drinkers Political Broadcast on behalf of the Bunnie Lovers Party !
:D 8) :thumbsup:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:38 am

I voted Bunnahabhain too and I was not surprised to see most folks vote for it too. While their older vintages could indeed be remarkable, in an apples-to-apples discussion, the whisky clearly loses out for being un-distinctive.

I would have voted for Bowmore next..very surprised to see Ardbeg and Laddie get votes, but I guess to each his own.

Great topic Ganga...
bond
Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Went for Port Ellen, yes its the easy way out but both Bunna and The Laddie offer the contart that needed against all the peat in the south.
Good thing is the way SM sales are going they will all be around for the foreseeable future.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:00 pm

I voted Bowmore. I've only had 2 or 3 bottlings, but I've never enjoyed it. It's a long time since I've had any, and the only flavour I recall from it is salt.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:55 pm

I quite agree with Spirit Of Islay and don't have much to add except that for Port Ellen is a distillery I would love to see reopened!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 pm

I voted for Bowmore in the idle hope that maybe they would resurrect Port Ellen in it's place. This is a fantasy poll right? So, let me have my fantasy... the return of a fallen distillery.

As for why I picked Bowmore? I've not discovered FWP yet and if the distillery were to disappear, there's a strong possibility that the LCBO wouldn't buy up all the "we can't sell this to anyone but Canadians" stock!
:D
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 pm

I wonder if the guys up at Bowmore are watching this poll?
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:09 pm

I misread and checked Ardbeg by mistake. :shock:
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:43 pm

To be honest I haven't voted and bring myself to do so.

It's like being asked to choose between your children. Can't be done.

Sorry
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:10 am

Since I've never had a Bunnahabhain, that was an easy choice. Ignorance is bliss in this case. If we have to vote for a distillery we've actually tasted, then I'd vote for Bowmore. I'd miss the 17 but aside from that one bottling, there's so much stuff that's more appealing to me.

Poor Bowmore, we hardly knew ye... :angel:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby parvus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:36 am

Bruichladdich - Not necessarily for what I consider fairly average whisky (recent stuff, anyway) but for the absolutely rancid marketing and the baffling finishing regimen they use.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby bond » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:39 am

LeoDLion wrote:I misread and checked Ardbeg by mistake. :shock:

Thank God you confessed. And hopefully you voted 4 times too 8)

Cant imagine anyone wanting Ardbeg to be closed...
bond
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:05 am

Bowmore, simply because every bottling I've tried of it (not many to be fair, around five I think, the best being the 17) have had a flowery/perfumed character - all I can get from them in varying degrees is lavender. I know some people like that, but I detest it.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:09 am

Welcome to the forums Tross. We like opinions here.

:)
les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 pm

I voted brookladdie only because, tho' I've enjoyed every dram i've had, i've only ever owned 1 1/4 bottles and never felt drawn to replace it in a "must have" sorta way, or bothered to explore its rather confusing artillery of OBs...

bunnahabhain's 12 is all i've tried, and I almost voted for that. In fact, fickle as I am, the only reason i didn't is because i've been given 3 bottles by kind folk merely because the last 4 letters spell my surname!

I found it a very pleasant MOR dram that kinda falls between 2 schools, like a mild Springbank. not too much of anything.

I love Bowmore when they get it right. for me, the dry herby lavender note is the one thing that makes it distinctive. The 17 is the standout as far as OBs go...

I might have said Caol Ila, but my best man's gift to me of an 18 YO really delighted me.

..which of course leaves the mighty big 3.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby bond » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 am

Reggaeblues wrote:I voted brookladdie only because, tho' I've enjoyed every dram i've had, i've only ever owned 1 1/4 bottles and never felt drawn to replace it in a "must have" sorta way, or bothered to explore its rather confusing artillery of OBs...

No wonder statisticians talk of non-representative samples skewing polls. But you should seriously try drinking laddie more often... hard to beat it for balance
bond
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:51 am

I don't wish closure upon ANY Scottish distillery, no matter where the location.
So I am abstaining in this poll.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby jazz lover » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:47 pm

Bunnahabhain :(
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:12 pm

really got to defend Bunnahabhain here.

Fabulous distillery with some really passionate people working for them, and a community that interacts closely with the distillery. I have a 14 year old Pedro Ximinez Bunnahabhain here, and let me tell you it is a masterpeice.

I am told that their 1966 Auld Acquaintence is superb (for those that can afford it)

And for me, the 12 is a great drink, which is more subtle than some of its neighbours standard offering, but in no way is it inferior!!!

And for the record, we should be all doing our bit to ensure we do not lose any more of these distilleries, not playing some sort of "Whisky weakest Link". Celebrate them all :angel: :angel: :angel:
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Well its hugely controversial isn't it? Good question, although it might have made us less nervous if you had simply said which one do you like least.

Obviously PE is already gone.

I voted for Bowmore, not because I think it anything other than a fine dram, but I think it has lost its way a little recently (especially the OBs) and it seems to me to be struggling for a niche amongst the Islays. It's sort of in the middle and suffering for it.
Willie JJ

Postby hiccy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:49 am

Aside from taking the copout and voting for PE, I honestly couldn't vote for this. Perhaps Lagavulin, but it's absence from my shelves is purely because it's a fave of my father and drinking buddy, so I am assured of a ready dram when desired! :)

I've not been that impressed with the couple of OB Bunna's I've tried, but I haven't explored greatly and I do have an impressive 9yo Signatory to hand. Just been forced to re-visit it now and it must have been better than I remembered, there's almost none left!

Bowmore is a great whisky to my tastes, and whilst i haven't had many bottles, the '89 16yo CS I have is very much treasured.

Close down Ardbeg, Caol Ila, LADDIE??? Nor the mighty peat monster Laphroaig.

Nope, can't vote: as someone said, it's like choosing which child to lose. :(
hiccy

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:58 pm

I very much realize that PE has already been closed (and beyond). The point was to do a little introspective search. If this distillery closed would I miss it. Well, for some it is very difficult; for others, not so much and I'm sure there are a few that wouldn't miss any of the Islays.

Me? A year ago I wouldn't have missed Bunny at all. Today, I would miss it quite a bit but not as much as the other seven. I will miss PE when they are gone which if rumor is true it pretty much is.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:47 am

Honestly, after so long wondering which "one must go," I've decided: NONE! Must, keep, them, all!!!!! :smoke:
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:47 am

A wee photo for those supporting Bunnahabhain. A much underrated distillery in my view and deserving of much more of our attention.
Willie JJ

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:05 am

Nice foto, great attention getter. Nothing available here from the distillery besides the standard 12, but 2 from bottlers that might be worth trying then. I know Bunnahabhain has some serious fans, (Spirit of Islay!) so I'd love to try more.
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:17 am

Just put peat from your mind DB and focus on the dram. I don't think we can really understand Islay without this. It's not the peat that makes Islay great its the underlying whisky. Bunna really shows that. They have recently been experimenting with peat and they can do it brilliantly, but they don't need it. It stands alone.
Willie JJ

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder