Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

One Must Go

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which Islay distillery would you least miss if it closed?

Ardbeg
6%
Bowmore
32%
Bruichladdich
11%
Bunnahabhain
29%
Caol Ila
3%
Port Ellen
13%
Lagavulin
3%
Laphroaig
3%

Total votes : 63

Re: One Must Go

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:36 am

Yes true Willie JJ, whisk(e)y, whichever one is chosen, should be appreciated and enjoyed for exactly what it is. Of course it's hard not to use your experiences and frame of reference to assist you in tasting. Like when I first tasted Bruichladdich after falling in love with Ardbeg, whew, what a difference and contrast! Bunnahabhain is also quite different than both of these, and also great whisky!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:16 pm

It appears we have a Secret Bunnahabhain appreciation Society on the Board ! 8) Apart from me that is ......
I said before i didn't appreciate this distillery till i tried a 1966 followed by a 1966 followed by a 1968 ( The Auld Acquaintance) . It's only recently that i've really enjoyed the 12 and 18 (2nd bottle of each in 12 months , good going for a non-peated whisky) .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Just put peat from your mind DB and focus on the dram. I don't think we can really understand Islay without this. It's not the peat that makes Islay great its the underlying whisky. Bunna really shows that. They have recently been experimenting with peat and they can do it brilliantly, but they don't need it. It stands alone.

Willie:
Are you playing with our heads? That's the third variation to your signature so far today. Do you want me to get you a hat?
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:10 pm

Yeah sorry about that Musky I was just trying out a few things. Thought the first two were a bit annoying after a while, so went for something a bit more sedate. Thanks for the hat by the way. It's brilliant :thumbsup:
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder