Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg with Glenmorangie finish

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Next year
15%
Within the next 3 years
No votes
Never
65%
Never, but I wish they tried one
20%

Total votes : 20

Postby ronnestam » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:09 am

Every brand in the business tries new tricks to increase the sales.

Will we ever see a Ardbeg with a Glenmorangie finish (or the other way around) from Ardbeg?
ronnestam

Re: Ardbeg with Glenmorangie finish

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:56 am

Not sure when but it could become a trend, not just this combination, but other distilleries as well. I'm sure it's been done before.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:47 pm

It's really hard to say. Marketing is unpredictable, and you can never tell what the next trend is going to be.

But I'm sure they are going to try combinations like this sooner or later... But looking at the responses to, say, the recent PC6 and the different tins, responses will definitely be outrageous and at the same time equally appraising if the marketing department gets their hands on a fine Scotch ;)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:20 pm

What would Glenmorangie give to Ardbeg , it would be swamped under the peat/smoke of Ardbeg , the other way round a peaty Glenmo is what you'd end up with !
Ardbeg is too strong a spirit to seriously be finished !
Now maturing in something other than Bourbon/sherry is another thing , have had a try of Ardbeg matured fully in Burgundy and a toasted cask and they make an interesting difference ......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:49 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:What would Glenmorangie give to Ardbeg , it would be swamped under the peat/smoke of Ardbeg , the other way round a peaty Glenmo is what you'd end up with !
Ardbeg is too strong a spirit to seriously be finished !
Now maturing in something other than Bourbon/sherry is another thing , have had a try of Ardbeg matured fully in Burgundy and a toasted cask and they make an interesting difference ......

I also tasted that entirely Burgundy matured Ardbeg distilled in '99, very nice! Ardbeg finished in a rum cask, like Douglas Laing have successfully done a few times is quite nice, so I think it's possible even if it's heavily peated.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:11 am

One word: Serendipity :shock:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby mithril » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:30 am

Well Glenfiddich tried an Islay finish with it's 12 Year Caoran Reserve which, while winning a silver at IWSCISC 2005, didn't really win rave reviews. Most that have tried it seemed to feel that the peat overwhelmed the normal Glenfiddich taste without giving enough back in return. The same is likely with an Ardbeg finished Glenmorangie. Besides, with LVHM trying so hard to turn Glenmorangie into a super-premium brand on a wide scale they're more likely to try to appeal more to the casual whisky drinker's tastes which are usually much tamer than those of a die hard peat freak.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Can't see the point really. when I'm in an Ardbeg mood i'm in an Ardbeg mood. when I want the delicacy of Glenmorangie I don't honestly think I'd enjoy a crashing wave of peatreak to invade the party...

That said, I once had a bottle of Mac CS 10 YO that I felt lacked something after the initial super-rich sherry burst, so I added about one fifth part of Ardbeg 10 to a dram - a fairly conservative mix given that the Ardbeg is already a good 10% ABV less than the Mac CS...but it still came through, and how!

Quite an interesting mix as it happens - a powerful sherried dram that now had a definite lingering smoky finish! But Glenmorangie in general is rather more subtle, perhaps rather TOO subtle to take this kind of Islay intensity, IMO
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:27 pm

You won't see an Ardbeg Glenmorangie finish because the new legislation will ensure that if a distillery name appears on a whisky label, it must be the distillery that distilled the whisky (I presume Speyside will be an exception). I think the SWA already prohibits mixed regional terms following the Balvenie Islay Cask Finish.
Deactivated Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:47 am

I voted never, but I wish they would (Glenmo finished in a Ardbeg cask). I think that inovation and thinking outside the box is good. Not to say that the whisky would be any good. But the market determines that. If it is good they might produce more and if it is not any good then no big deal. I want to try different scotches that challenge my senses.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder