Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Next Scotch and More Suggestions

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What Should my next Scotch be?

Talisker 10
19%
Talisker 18
39%
Macallan 12
3%
Glenlivet 12
3%
Ardbeg Uigeadail
17%
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
8%
Glenkinchie 10 (finish the regions)
No votes
Different Lowland (finish the regions)
8%
Other (list below)
3%

Total votes : 36

Next Scotch and More Suggestions

Postby DanielKoons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:21 am

I started a pole after doing some research months ago and it was extremely helpful. I ended up buying Lagavulin 16 (LOVE IT), Highland Park 12, Glenfiddich 12, off your recommendations. I recently bought Oban 14, I have JW Green as well.

Part of me wants to finish of having one from each section of Scotland (Lowland), but the other says "forget that get the best"

What should my next bottle be? Recommendations welcome!

-Daniel
DanielKoons

Re: Next Scotch and More Suggestions

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:24 am

glenlivet nadurra, quite impressive and different than many others
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Gotta try Talisker - it's "required drinking" :D
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:26 pm

BTW, I you want to try a lowlander, give Glengoyne a try. Although I almost always take my whisky neat, a drop of water really brings out the flavors in this one.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:46 pm

I don't know who selected Talisker 18. If he has not yet sampled Talisker 10 he should in no way sample the 18 first. :twisted:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:13 pm

[quote="Elagabalus"]I don't know who selected Talisker 18. If he has not yet sampled Talisker 10 he should in no way sample the 18 first.

Sorry to disagree Elagabalus, but I voted Talisker 18 as well. A truly great scotch that hits most of the flavor profiles, a little sweetness, some smoke, a little pepper and salt. Plus it has a smoothness to it that is nice. You don't have to try the Talisker 10 (while good on its own merits) to appreciate and like the Talisker 18.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Lot's of opinions and none of them more right than the other. And here's my take on the 10 - I've never been really impressed by the Talisker 10. It's perfectly alright but it leaves me a little bewildered - what's all the fuss about? There are many whiskies from nearby Islay which will better it in every respect. Compared to them the Talisker 10 is an under-achiever. The 18 on the other hand - now that's a good whisky! Go for the 18 which is truly a fantastic whisky! It's not like you have to go through all the boring whiskies just to deserve a good'un!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:29 pm

When I first tried the 18 I preferred the relative wildness of the ten, which has long been a regular dram of mine, though not as much as Ardbeg 10 is! A year later I tried the 18 again, in a pub surprise surprise!This time I really got it!

but i still love the 10 in its own right. Depends whether I want wild, or smooth and subtle. Have a new 18 awaiting opening at Christmas...I'll be drinking a fair amount of '10' before then!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm

I voted for the Talisker 10. Having been in a Talisker tasting last week: the 18 is great, but the 10 is a fine introduction to Talisker. The 18 is richer, has a fuller body, but is also a bit more complicated (I like it better, but that is after I had plenty of the 10yo).

Another fine one would be Ardbeg 10, one of my favorites, or Macallan 12 sherry matured...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby badgerbrown » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:16 pm

I'm really enjoying Balblair 1989 at the moment. It's quite a perfumed dram, but not bad for it. It has a great shifting palate and is really enjoyable. Good value too.

From the list though, I'd go for Talisker 18.
badgerbrown

Postby badgerbrown » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi lawschooldrunk. No, the 1989 is my first Balblair. What's the 16 like?
badgerbrown

Postby jruddy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:13 pm

I'm going to go against the grain (or malt as it were) and recommend you try the Balvenie DW. It isn't priced too badly and does have a fair bit going for it. It's not smoky or peaty but still has a nice depth of flavour for you to appreciate.

If you like Islays, Ardbeg 10 is superb.

If you can get it in the USA, Jura Superstition is an interesting drink and is also priced fairly well.
jruddy

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Has Glengoyne been moved, I'm sure it used to be a Highlander.
:wink:

Meanwhile, I highly recommend Bladnoch or Rosebank.
Lowland whiskies are not inferior, they are juts different. Often lighter and more floral.
Very good they can be, too.
MT

pmullin wrote:BTW, I you want to try a lowlander, give Glengoyne a try. Although I almost always take my whisky neat, a drop of water really brings out the flavors in this one.
Deactivated Member

Postby CCRoy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:29 pm

Have you gotten something yet? I voted for the Talisker 10 because I just got my first bottle of this myself and have been wondering why I didn't buy one sooner. Smoky, peaty, full-bodied but kind of raw (palate-wise - it's pretty smooth going down, actually, not at all what I would call "firewater"). It takes a few sips to notice the more subtle flavors in the palate as it doesn't have the mellowed balance of an older malt. Reggaeblues described it as having a "wildness" about it, and yeah, that's apt. Young and intense, if you like that.
CCRoy

Postby DanielKoons » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 am

I actually was dead set of Talisker 10, then I bought Auchentoshan Triple Wood and Signatory Caol Ila 1992. After that I had a crazy week and thought I deserved another bottle, so i did buy Talisker 10.

Thanks everybody.
DanielKoons

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:38 am

Auchentoshan :thumbsup:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:06 am

Auchentoshan 3 Wood is a very different dram.
It is totally untypical (or is that a-typical Mr. Picky?) for a lowlander as it is so rich and heavy compared to the other lighter and more floral offerings.

I found it to be a quite pleasant after-dinner dram which was also pretty heavy with oak, sherry, raisin and other dark fruit flavours.
But in spite of this heaviness, the typical Auchentoshan Lowland lightness was somewhere in the background, trying to make its presence felt.

As I said, a pleasant but rather unusual dram which I believe can't make its mind up what it wants to be.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby DanielKoons » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:22 am

To be honest I was very unimpressed with Talisker 10, the peppery after turned me off to it. Don't get me wrong I liked it but it didn't for me stand up to my expectation.
DanielKoons

Postby Ganga » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Don't let the 10 fool you about the 18. This one is less smokey and less spicey/peppery than others in the line. Keep it in mind when you are having trouble selecting your next whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:28 pm

pkt77242 wrote:
Elagabalus wrote:I don't know who selected Talisker 18. If he has not yet sampled Talisker 10 he should in no way sample the 18 first.

Sorry to disagree Elagabalus, but I voted Talisker 18 as well. A truly great scotch that hits most of the flavor profiles, a little sweetness, some smoke, a little pepper and salt. Plus it has a smoothness to it that is nice. You don't have to try the Talisker 10 (while good on its own merits) to appreciate and like the Talisker 18.

Sean

I vote for the 10 also and would probably agree with Elagabalus.

I think one should always start at the bottom of a new distillery and work ones way up.

I suppose a better way to put it would be that the 18yo would be a more expensive mistake if he does not like it. However the fact he has listed both the price is not really an issue and the fact that he already has done the Laga 16 & HP should be safe bet that he'll like Talisker.

However in saying that the 18 has a lot to offer even though I do prefer the 10 for it's bigger pepper punch. I have a bottle of each :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby hiccy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:52 am

I voted T18 as one of MY next purchases will be a bottle; I recently had great pleasure in finishing off a bottle I hadn't sampled in a while and it was a fantastic re-discovery of a very characterful dram. That and the Ardbeg really stood out on your list.

Another bottle I was going to suggest was the triple wood Auchentoshan! :thumbsup: Oban 14yo I'm enjoying "discovering" right now, a 15 or 21yo Glenfarclas worth a look too; I sort of agree with some of the comments made about starting at the "bottom" with distilleries to avoid expensive mistakes, but I'm also very mindful that there is no harm buying the odd "star" as you pass on your tasting journey.
hiccy

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:13 am

I agree that the Talisker ten is great, but the 18 may be slightly softer and more accessible. Anyway life is short and if something is truly phenomenal, as the 18 is, then why not go for it right away.

On the lowland note:

Malt-Teaser wrote:Meanwhile, I highly recommend Bladnoch or Rosebank.
Lowland whiskies are not inferior, they are juts different. Often lighter and more floral.
Very good they can be, too.
MT

I couldn't agree more with this. These are terrific malts and worthy of the attention of everyone who loves whisky. Its easy always to go for the huge flavours of the west coast, but the subtlety of the lowlands should not be ignored. Take your time and explore these whiskies thoughtfully and you will be rewarded.
Willie JJ

Postby jazz lover » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:54 pm

TALISKER 18 :smoke:
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:03 pm

I'm with Malt-teaser on this one

Glengoyne 17 (its Glasgow, so its right on the Highland/Lowland controversy line)
Rosebank Flora and Fauna, or Rosebank 25 - get it while you can, both massively different whisky, both highly recommended!
Glenkinchie 20 - Bloody brilliant

If you haven't done the lowlands, carpe diem, - there may not be much more floating about in the next few years. Enjoy!!!
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder