Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The definitive cheap islayer

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Best cheap islayer

Poll ended at Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:31 pm

Ardbeg 10
38%
Caol Ila 12
18%
Laphroaig 10
29%
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
16%

Total votes : 45

Re: The definitive cheap islayer

Postby lohssanami » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Hey Di Blasi! Great to hear from a Los Gatos native. I'm not far from there at all.

This place is my new second home. I've been reading over the tasting notes, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to taste a dram and be able to list as many flavors as I've read about.

A friend had me try some Trader Joe's blended whisky, and I had to wash my mouth out with a good Ardbeg to feel right again. At least I can now tell the difference between good whisky and whisky meant for mixing.

Cheers!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:20 pm

lohssanami wrote:Hey Di Blasi! Great to hear from a Los Gatos native. I'm not far from there at all.

This place is my new second home. I've been reading over the tasting notes, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to taste a dram and be able to list as many flavors as I've read about.

A friend had me try some Trader Joe's blended whisky, and I had to wash my mouth out with a good Ardbeg to feel right again. At least I can now tell the difference between good whisky and whisky meant for mixing.

Cheers!

Hello again lohssanami! I do recommend you taste as many whiskies as possible, blends, and various others from all over, for the experience and fun of it. I surprise myself when I taste something so unexpectedly good, so rewarding too. Looking forward to hearing about your whisky fun and experiences!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:34 am

Di Blasi- This forum has already had an influence on me. I picked up some Redbreast 12 today since I'd read a few good things about it in the forums.

I don't know when you're visiting the area again, but the World of Whisky Expo is 3/28-29 in SF. I think I may try to go and meet the Ardbeg folks, which I assume will be there. I had to get back on topic with the Ardbeg reference.

Cheers.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:02 am

Good to hear about you picking up the Redbreast 12y lohssanami, hope you enjoy it. I was in town in in March '06, attended the World of Whiskies then. Wasn't bad, some gems and good stuff, and it being on a boat was cool, but was quite disappointed and surprised at the lousy glassware for the masterclass with Jim Murray, so was he!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mathews » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 pm

I just received one case (6 - 750ml bottles) of Laphroaig 10 from labodegawine.com The cost per bottle, including shipping, was 35US. Email Sam for the deal :D
mathews

Postby woodhill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am

mathews wrote:I just received one case (6 - 750ml bottles) of Laphroaig 10 from labodegawine.com The cost per bottle, including shipping, was 35US. Email Sam for the deal :D

I once picked up a case of Laphroaig CS at Iceland ( a small cheaper branch of supermarket in UK) for £15 a bottle (It was half Price)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby mathews » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:39 am

You had to go to Iceland. I sat at home in my chair!
mathews

Postby woodhill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:46 am

This is the bottle I'm talking about

http://www.labodegawine.com/150251?id=BfifVjba

:thumbsup:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby mathews » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:09 am

Sounds great! I have only tried the 10. Is it worth $55 for me to try the 15 at my local store?
mathews

Postby Gearóidmuar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:17 pm

For aftertaste Laphroaig is fab.
For first taste Caol Ila and Lagavullin are great.
I've not drunk Bunnabhain and only had one glass of Ardbeg.

But the king of this kind of whisky that I've tasted, is Talisker, which is of course from Skye. An Islay whisky by proxy perhaps. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Gearóidmuar

Postby mathews » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:06 pm

You make a good point about rating a whisky on foretaste versus aftertaste. I am drinking a dram of Frog 10 and I agree with you, the aftertaste is yummy!
mathews

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder