Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A Malt for your mood?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Do you select a malt for your mood? Or to put you in a mood?

I select a malt that suits my mood
65%
I select a malt to get me in the mood I want to be in (e.g. cheer me up)
No votes
I do each on different occasions
16%
What?! What are you talking about?
18%

Total votes : 49

Re: A Malt for your mood?

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:17 am

Yes, my drinks and my music are chosen depending upon my mood at the time.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:28 am

As my signature reads, I think since I started around here...
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:19 am

I voted that my mood influences my choice of whisky. Usually if I had a bad day I want cask strenth or a Peaty whisky. Introspective maybe a complex speysider or lowlander. While it doesn't always work this way, it usually does. If I am excited or celebrating I will usually pick a special whisky (how many of us celebrate by opening a Glenlivet 12?).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby lexvo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm

I choose my whisky depending on my mood. I can't tell if there is a whisky that will fit all my moods.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:09 am

My mood definitely influences my choice of drink for the evening. It may change after that first drink.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:35 am

Like others I'll choose my malts according to my mood.
My mood however can easily be affected by the weather, what I've been listening to, how work has been and what I've been eating.

Today is a grey wet day outside, but doesn't (fingers crossed) look like it will be too busy. Will spend the day listening to Radio 5 at my desk. Tuna steaks with fresh ginger for tea tonight. I've no idea what mood this means I'll be in tonight. Will probably have a glass of wine with dinner, before moving on to malts later tonight.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:50 pm

I chose the first choice. However I don't have a particular malt for a particular mood but know what I don't want when I'm in certain moods if you get my drift...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby mattbuty » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:10 pm

I like to leave the really peaty whisky till after I have been outside on a cold miserable day. I find it warms me up, and if I am in a very bad mood, I tend to steer clear of spirits altogether. :x

At all other times I like to experiment with whatever tastes are to hand. Ovbiously if I am spoiled for choice I will not drink a lowlander after something like a Glenfarclas, as I won't be able to taste it, so I always try to have the grassier whiskies first, and end on a whopper. :shock:

Not sure if this really answers the question though... :sleep:
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby hook55 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:58 am

Sorry I can't say that I drink a malt to suit my mood.. It like to drink after dinner having one or two malts to finish off the dinner.. my only problem is finding a good range of malts where I live? Can't get many only Glenfiddich 12yo 15, and 18yo mostly at duty free the others I found are glenmorange 10yo and my favorite the Macallan 12yo and 18yo.

Oh yeah, in case your interested I'm in Manila Philippines
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:24 am

Welcome hook55, nice to have a member in the Philippines!
Di Blasi

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:27 pm

A malt is more likely to affect my mood, rather than a mood affect my malt.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:02 pm

I usually get a good whiff of my opened bottles to see what i am in the mood for. Sometimes its Scotch, sometimes Bourbon, and sometimes Irish Whiskey. Last night it was Scotch. The night before it was Bourbon. Maybe Irish tonite. :D
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 pm

I tend to pick-out whatever I feel like drinking at the time. There's really no rhyme or reason for what I choose. I just go over to my cabinet, stare and pick through my bottles for a good 10 minutes or so until I find what I want.

And then I figure out what type of glass I'm going to use.....but that's another story all together.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:30 pm

I tend to have only one open at a time. So I usually pick that one. Funny that. I currently have two open, though. It's just going to get confusing...

:insane:
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm

butephoto wrote:I tend to have only one open at a time. So I usually pick that one. Funny that. I currently have two open, though. It's just going to get confusing...

If you hang around here much longer, those two you have open will soon be 4, an so on and so forth......... :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:04 pm

ryguy wrote:
butephoto wrote:I tend to have only one open at a time. So I usually pick that one. Funny that. I currently have two open, though. It's just going to get confusing...

If you hang around here much longer, those two you have open will soon be 4, an so on and so forth......... :D :D

That's just asking for trouble.

I'd better pour one to help it on its way...
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Yes, it's always based on what I'm craving, what I'm in the mood to drink, and so I usually have a variety of a few different things open in order to suit my mood. Now I've got an Islay, a Speyside, a Japanese, a few Bourbons, a Scottish Single Grain, a few from Orkney, a few blends, (1 smoky, 1 not), and an Irish.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Yes, it's always based on what I'm craving, what I'm in the mood to drink, and so I usually have a variety of a few different things open in order to suit my mood. Now I've got an Islay, a Speyside, a Japanese, a few Bourbons, a Scottish Single Grain, a few from Orkney, a few blends, (1 smoky, 1 not), and an Irish.

Which mood are you usually in?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:45 pm

Okay, I opened the Arran that I won on their website.

3, after all, is the magic number.

Quite a floral, heathery nose. And a fiery finish!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:57 pm

butephoto wrote:Okay, I opened the Arran that I won on their website.

3, after all, is the magic number.

Quite a floral, heathery nose. And a fiery finish!

Enjoy that Arran Butephoto, after all free bottles are hard not to enjoy! :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:51 pm

butephoto wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Yes, it's always based on what I'm craving, what I'm in the mood to drink, and so I usually have a variety of a few different things open in order to suit my mood. Now I've got an Islay, a Speyside, a Japanese, a few Bourbons, a Scottish Single Grain, a few from Orkney, a few blends, (1 smoky, 1 not), and an Irish.

Which mood are you usually in?

Good question butephoto! But when I drink whisky, it's always a good mood! But what I reach for is what I feel like drinking, what I'm craving, what the mood calls for, peated, sweet, soft, or whatever. I've gone against the mood cause I wanted to drink something else, and it's usually a bad call, I don't enjoy it as I should.
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:48 am

I think Johnny Walker Red is perfect for all moods! Everything else is just overpriced snobbery!
Mr Fjeld

Postby woodhill » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:04 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I think Johnny Walker Red is perfect for all moods! Everything else is just overpriced snobbery!

Are there a lot of Trolls at Tralfamadore Zoo?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:45 am

woodhill wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:I think Johnny Walker Red is perfect for all moods! Everything else is just overpriced snobbery!

Are there a lot of Trolls at Tralfamadore Zoo?

I don't think so but if I said that a $ 15,- Cognac is as good as any single malt then you would have a point. :P
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I'll go back to my cage now :)

However, in the spirit of the thread I would say no to the original question. I don't select my malts after what mood I'm in. If I'm feeling sad I wouldn't drink at all - but I'm happy to say I'm almost never sad. I like to go through a variety of styles of whiskies every time I drink. I'm all for variety - as someone mentioned in another thread - and that's what's so lovely with single malt: made of the same stuff and by the same method - yet it's so different! Which is why JW Red isn't for me!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:11 pm

It also depends one the tiem of day and whether it's my first or last dram. I usually start off with a ligther dram and work my way up. I know from experience that a 6yo single malt won't fare well after I've just had an Islay.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:47 pm

I don't know if I consciously associate particular malts with particular moods, but there's no doubt that when I go to the whisky cupboard I definitely think what do I feel like drinking. I just assumed everyone did that.
Willie JJ

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:33 pm

C57:
I had to think about this one for a while but have finally decided I'm the "what are you talking about" type. I choose my malt on a whim. Sometimes it's fermented barley and hops, sometimes it's distilled barley (and sometimes it's distilled cane sugar).

When I feel like a SM, I really do wander down to the Lair, cast my eye over the candidates and pour a dram. Last night it was a Tamdhu 10 yo followed by a Caol Ila 11 yo. (after a wobbly pop) Later today, I'll have to see where the whim takes me, but I don't generally find myself in the mood for a SM or in need of one to improve my mood. With over 60 open malts to choose from, I'm a pretty happy guy.

On a side note, I was in the bottle shop today and was able to walk out without anything in my hand! Gotta keep that New Years promise to myself, but the new Balvenie CS was tempting.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Cam » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:10 am

I never drink to get into a mood, at least not now, perhaps 35 years ago I did. Can't seem to really recall. I did vote 'the mood I'm in' though that doesn't sit quite right either. I usually pick out something I fancy and that would depend on time of day, perhaps the weather. Usually I'll start with a Speysider then maybe move onto an Islay ending with a cask strength.

Cam
Cam

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I mostly have a dram that I am in the mood for (or one that is open). But there are times that I have a get in the mood dram.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder