Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Beards - should I grow one

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Should I grow a beard and will it affect the taste of whiskies

Yes, grow a beard it won't affect whisky flavours
63%
Yes, grown one even though it will affect whisky flavours
4%
No, don't gow one, they look awful and will affect whisky flavours
4%
No, don't grow one, they just look awful
22%
I have no experience of beards and wish to abstain
7%

Total votes : 46

Beards - should I grow one

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:06 pm

For the last 2 weeks I haven't shaved and my beard is growing nicely.

Sabine is encouraging me to keep it growing, she says "it makes my face look interesting"
Hmmmm, I know it wasn't so interesting before, but ........ thanks!

Anyway, each day I look in the mirror and have mixed feelings, sometimes I think "it MUST go", then next time I think "yes, interesting" maybe I'll give it a little longer.

It feels strange, it itches like mad and yes, it drives me mad.

Should it stay or go?
For those of you who have (or have had) beards, will it affect my whisky tasting as it grows longer?

Finally, no, I do not wish to post a picture of me here :P

MT
Deactivated Member

Re: Beards - should I grow one

Postby les taylor » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:31 pm

NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO.

MT when I was in my late teens I dabbled with the moustache. Then when I was 23 I had the full beard. We had some photos taken I looked like a Norwegian fisherman. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but you know what I mean.

So off came the beard and no facial hair has ever made it back.

MT I bet you have some grey hair facial hair now. The question has to be asked and please don't take offense. Is the beard to match this duffle coat phase you are going through?
And are you getting some Jesus sandals to match the beard and coat?

:wink:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:45 pm

les taylor wrote:Then when I was 23 I had the full beard. We had some photos taken I looked like a Norwegian fisherman. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but you know what I mean.

Errm, not entirely sure what you mean Les. Can you explain a bit more :D ?

I suppose a beard could act as secondary barrier filtration MT, but otherwise I suspect it won't affect the whisky. If the lady likes it and you don't mind it then what the hell. You can shave it off anytime.
Willie JJ

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:28 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
les taylor wrote:Then when I was 23 I had the full beard. We had some photos taken I looked like a Norwegian fisherman. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but you know what I mean.

Errm, not entirely sure what you mean Les. Can you explain a bit more :D ?

I suppose a beard could act as secondary barrier filtration MT, but otherwise I suspect it won't affect the whisky. If the lady likes it and you don't mind it then what the hell. You can shave it off anytime.

Hehe, I'm wondering about that too :lol: Barrier filtering, yes - that's a good point!

Edit: I found a picture of a Norwegian fisherman from Troms (County north of the polar circle) from the 1800's

Malty, are you quite sure about this :D
Mr Fjeld

Postby mattbuty » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:08 pm

I have a beard and I think it makes me look distinguished. Of course everyone else thinks it makes me look like like a tree-hugging yoghurt knitter. "sigh", you can't win them all can you?
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:28 pm

No, no, no, noooo! Don't do it!!

The only good thing about you growing a beard is that when you shave it off people will say how great you look. And of course you'll look great - you will no longer be hiding behind bristles. Bristles, I say. Eurgh!!

Even Brad Pitt couldn't carry off a beard without looking somewhat homeless. Even my Dad no longer has a beard, and he's the most beardy person I know!

There's no other form of grooming from which you could take a few weeks off, and claim it as a deliberate new look. "I've stopped brushing my teeth for a few weeks to see how I look with plaque, what do you think" ewww, stoppit!!

Malt-Teaser wrote:For those of you who have (or have had) beards, will it affect my whisky tasting as it grows longer?

Well, suprisingly I haven't got a beard or ever had one but apparently I have quite strong opinions about them :P

Disclaimer: This only applies to new beard-growers so not to cause offence to to 57, whose beard just contributes to his overall wise and affable image, and I'm sure MattButy's is great too
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:04 am

Speaking as a permanently bearded person, I take great offense at the nonsense uttered by the anti-beardies here.

The only opinions that matter are yours and Sabine's. If the love of my life told me I'd look good with a third foot, I'd do my damnedest to grow one. Ignore all the other crap from non-interested parties.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:35 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Speaking as a permanently bearded person, I take great offense at the nonsense uttered by the anti-beardies here.

The only opinions that matter are yours and Sabine's. If the love of my life told me I'd look good with a third foot, I'd do my damnedest to grow one. Ignore all the other crap from non-interested parties.

But MT started it. He sought the opinions of his fellow forum members and raised an opinion poll. I'm afraid if you ask for an opinion don't be surprised if a truthful one is offerred.

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:33 am

Mr. T., you are of course correct, but I started the poll just to canvas general opinion on beards, which I have received and am grateful for.

The fact remains that although Sabine likes this itching mass, I am still totally undecided. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think it is starting to look good, even a little distinguished and certainly 'interesting' as Sabine calls it.
At other times I think it looks dreadful and want to grab my razor and get rid of it immediately, but as yet I haven't.

A secondary and perhaps slightly tongue in cheek aspect to the poll is the question as to whether it affects tasting of drams.

Just a little fun between the festivities of Christmas and New Year, sorry if you have been offended,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:35 am

Ooh, this is difficult. Absolutely not because of Mr.Heid's outrage (in fact despite it ;)), I've changed my mind - can I vote again? Will Smith and Ice-T are such visions of well-groomed beardedness so I take it all back. Beards can be cool as milk.

Will_Smith.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:36 am

Nah, he's not growing a beard, he's acting the goat :P
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:14 pm

MT,

To get rid of the beard now after all the effort would be a shame. I would never grow one, being 23 i wouldn't go down well, if i don't shave for a couple of days my girlfriend shouts at me - it hurts apparatntly - not me. In our family we have a rule though you go to Scotland for a break and you aren't allowed to shave for the duration, its very amusing everyone is patchy, but even my sister's boyfriend now does the practice.

Just think what you could get away with, having a beard you could rob banks and never be caught, try drinks that arent; aimed at men and get away with it all.

Leave it one , but please change your picture.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Apologies, I wasn't on my game last night--meant my tone to be one of mock umbrage. But my opinion's the same! Give it a chance to get past the itch, MT. But ultimately, it's your face.

I didn't vote because my option isn't there--it's your choice.
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:40 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Apologies, I wasn't on my game last night--meant my tone to be one of mock umbrage. But my opinion's the same! Give it a chance to get past the itch, MT. But ultimately, it's your face.

Sounded mock umbrage enough to me. Anyway as a beardy I think you have the right to umb :)
Willie JJ

Postby SoMK » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:05 pm

That would depend on your morphology but hey, it's just a beard. Try and if it doesn't work, shave it :roll:

My husband wears one, and a long one at that, long enough to braid it when we go to Viking re-enactment 8) and honnestly, if he shaved it, first I would be in shock and second, I would be arrested for indecency towards a minor ! :lol: He would look SO much younger without it.. eeewww.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:20 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Apologies, I wasn't on my game last night--meant my tone to be one of mock umbrage. But my opinion's the same! Give it a chance to get past the itch, MT. But ultimately, it's your face.

Sounded mock umbrage enough to me. Anyway as a beardy I think you have the right to umb :)

Mr. Tattie - to be honest, "anti-beardies" just didn't cut it as authentic outrage ;)

Thinking about it, the beard, the bling... could it be that when Ice-T fancies a change from the Gangster Rap scene he logs in here as his alter-ego, MrTattieHeid?
ice-t.jpg

Or is that abunadh stronger than I thought?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:35 pm

I take umbrage! Ask your doctor if umbrage is right for you.
Deactivated Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:50 pm

trim it or you might look like scary me!

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:57 am

You're right. That's terrifying :D .
Willie JJ

Postby Aeolus » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:28 pm

Hi MT,

Also consider the practical aspects before you shave it off.

I've had a beard for probably 30 years. Before I gave up on shaving and grew the beard it seemed no matter how many times a day I shaved, I always looked like I needed to shave. So, nature wins and I let it grow. I keep it trimmed, only have to actually used a razor about once a week and it makes life much easier.

Laziness, in all honesty, is a great incentive.

The itching will stop. Really.

:) :thumbsup:
Aeolus

Postby Wave » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:16 am

As a bearded dude myself I say go for it!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

My Beard - an update

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:01 am

Just to let you know I have continued with the beard and it is now pretty well formed and slightly less itchy.
The main problem is that my hair is extremely wiry, so it is naturally very itchy anyway.
I shall continue a little longer as most people now compliment me and agree that it suits me.

So, I'll leave it until at least the end of January and make a further decision then.

Thanks for all your comments,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 pm

'A man is not a man until a beard supporteth he' Epicurus 292 BC
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Aeolus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:53 am

Paul A Jellis wrote:'A man is not a man until a beard supporteth he' Epicurus 292 BC

Wonderful quote, Paul !
:thumbsup:
And oh, so appropriate for this forum, considering the source (Epicurus)
:mrgreen:
Aeolus

Postby mattbuty » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:34 am

In light of this revelation - should beards be mandatory on this forum?

What say you TreacleSponge?
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:14 am

I don't mind supporting a beard. Just not on my face.

Beard sponsorship anyone?
Willie JJ

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:24 am

Willie JJ wrote:I don't mind supporting a beard. Just not on my face.

Beard sponsorship anyone?

Hey! I thought you were having an early night?

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:31 am

a beard is for life, not just for Christmas
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:26 am

mattbuty wrote:In light of this revelation - should beards be mandatory on this forum?

What say you TreacleSponge?

OK, I'll do my best but I'm not making any promises :P
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby misa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 am

I just noticed that growing beard will make the finish longer, since you can still suck the flavors from the hairs located underneath you lower lip.
misa

Postby bjorn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:22 am

I say beards in the winter, clean in the summer, and do what you will in spring and fall...and it's treated me pretty well thus far, but that's just me
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 am

Yes indeed how IS it going?

I think we deserve a picture. In fact I might just start a poll on it! :lol:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks for asking.
It doesn't itch quite as much, unless I rub or scratch it, then it itches like mad. But that's due to my hair being extremely wiry.
It is thickening up a little more and at the moment, I am growing to like it, whereas Sabine loves it.

For the moment I have decided to keep it, at least until Sabine's birthday in February when I will make a further decision.

She tells me she sometimes dreams that I have shaved it off during the night, and is always pleased to wake up and see that it's still there.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:15 pm

I really hate having my picture taken. I'm a serious hobby photographer and like to take pictures, not have them taken of me.

But as Sabine wants a picture of me with my beard (silly woman!), I am considering letting her, or someone, take a photo of me in The Arc, with my whiskies and of course, my beard.

If this happens, I may, just may, be persuaded to let you see it.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Beard = Man
Full Beard = Full Man

Do the beard.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Next

Return to Whisky Poll