Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What kind of whisk(e)y do you buy?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Single Malt Scotch
32%
Blended Scotch
16%
Irish Whiskey
15%
American Whiskeys (including Bourbon)
16%
Canadian Whisky
4%
Japanese Whisky
12%
Other (World Whisky)
5%

Total votes : 203

Postby pmullin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 pm

I thought it would be interesting to see how much "dram diversity" we have amongst the forum membership. Select as many options as you want.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Re: What kind of whisk(e)y do you buy?

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Just scotch for me thanks, single malt, vatted or blended.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:16 am

I just buy anything that takes my fancy, wherever it comes from. :D
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 am

I'm sure many people buy whisk(e)y from different countries. I don't know how to vote, because I will buy anything from anywhere.
Aidan

Postby Gov » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 am

I voted for SMS, Scotch Blend and Irish. I have bought and tried bourbon in the past, but will never make that mistake again!! :yuk: I prefer SMS to anything else.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 am

Single Malt from Scotland of course, but it's unthinkable to be without a pure pot still from Ireland - although the selection is limited. I've bought some Japanese whiskies and will buy more as soon as they are available. I think it's worth buying a good bourbon now and then too.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:25 pm

I've selected all of them but Canadian, just because I'm not so familiar with them unfortunately. I like to buy special bottlings that aren't readily available in bars or places in order to drink and taste various expressions and whiskies in general.
Di Blasi

Postby Dubois » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:01 pm

99% Single Malt.
Dubois

Postby Leither » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I've selected all of them but Canadian, just because I'm not so familiar with them unfortunately. I like to buy special bottlings that aren't readily available in bars or places in order to drink and taste various expressions and whiskies in general.

I'm very much the same - not much Canadian around here and also I tend to buy stuff not readily available in bars.

However, these days when it comes to caring for the environment and food miles etc I'm leaning towards the feeling that I'm doing mother nature a favour by buying just Scotch :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Nice to drink "local" isn't it Leither. One day we'll have a few "local" distilleries too!
Di Blasi

Postby peat-chaser » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:06 pm

I usually buy what I want to drink, therefore I don´t buy blended, American, irish and local (Germany) Whiskys. I´ve try serveral of these and still try them if offered somewhere, but I don´t buy any of them yet.
A lot scottish and some japanese Whiskys are what I want to drink, so it´s them which I buy.
8)
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:13 am

I agree it's probably better for the environment to drink whatever is distilled closest to you. Too bad the state of Maryland, which at one time was famous for its rye whiskey, no longer has any distilleries. That forces me to buy whiskey from places a bit farther away, such as Kentucky, Scotland and such. :wink:
Jon Barleycorn

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:03 pm

I have been known to buy all of the options in the poll, but I don't regularly buy Canadian whisky, so I left that one out.

Matt, polls like this where we can tick multiple options are good, but the results only show up as an overall total.
It would be much more interesting if there was some way to report how many individual people had checked how many options.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:05 pm

It is all about the SMSW. But I do get a blend now and then, and some whiskEy's (US) do make into my selection.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Ryguy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:39 pm

I buy mostly Single Malt Scotch with the occasional Hirsch Canadian Rye once in a while. I find it really smooth and quite tasty.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:03 pm

I mainly buy single malts but i am trying a few more select blends at present.Like many posts before regardless of where it is from, if it takes my fancy i will attempt to try it. :|
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby clicker7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:29 am

Mostly Single Malts, but occasionally Vodka to make Cosmopolitans for my wife and guests.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:43 am

SMS, and these days more I am spending some time learning bourbon. I am finding that while I do not enjoy it as much as SMS, i do appreciate some very much. And, my current favorite daily pour, Weller Antique 107, is $18.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 am

Single malts for me and most of which are from Islay.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm with Drrich with this on SMs but I've not yet really gotten into bourbons as yet. Once my self imposed strictures on purchasing end, I think I'd like to pick up a couple of more Canadian whiskies.

I enjoy the Cooley products and have acquired a Japanese and a few world whiskies of late in an effort to see what else is out there. I find that whisky is an ongoing learning experience for me.

That being said, the only choices I didn't tick were bourbon and blends.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:33 pm

Single malts mostly, but maybe whisky mag is brain washing me, because on my last few outings, I have enjoyed a glass or two of Suntory. Can't fault it really, but have no emotional connection to it, in the way that I do with SMW
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby hook55 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:30 am

I mainly buy Speyside and Highland whiskies, don't like the ones from the islands cause of the seaweed taste. :D
hook55
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 pm

I've had whiskies from all over the world ... including India, New Zealand, Sweden, Germany amongst others but I can probably rate it like this ...

Irish 50%
Scotch 40%
Bourbon 5%
Japanese 2%
All others 3%

:wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Whilst in Milroys of SoHo at the new year when I mentioned that I enjoy (amongst others ) heavy sherried whisky the guy recommended I buy a Nikka straight from the Barrel or something for about £50 -60.

i declined spending my money on scotch as usual.

We (I) do seem to have a bias that if it's not scotch it's not whisky.

maybe I should have experimented with the Nikka?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Collector57 wrote:The only Japanese I have is a Yamazaki which is excellent.

I have tried a Nikka (not that one) that was also very good

is the Yamazaki the one that tesco sell (a 10yr old)? if yes I've heard it likened to a Glen Moray is that true? ('cause that's whyI've not bought one)
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:28 pm

All whiskies have their place on my shelf. It all depends on the mood I am in. Though I am quite fond of the Irish Whiskey for watching Hockey......I should be drinking Canadian Whiskey though huh?
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Just SMS right now. Don't know much about the others. Afraid of what might happen if I start down that path... :P
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:42 am

MacAttack80 wrote:All whiskies have their place on my shelf. It all depends on the mood I am in. Though I am quite fond of the Irish Whiskey for watching Hockey......I should be drinking Canadian Whiskey though huh?
How 'bout...
(edit).....I should be drinking Canadian Whisky though eh?

:D
Otherwise, I quite concur with your sentiments MacAttack80. With few exceptions, I am open to generally any whisky that is available in my market area.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:29 pm

My first love is SMSW and the one I overall enjoy the most. I also enjoy Irish and am beginning to explore the blends. I initially was hesitant about American whiskey because of some bad experiences with some poor low shelf bourbons in the past. But there is a large American whiskey group here in Houston who know a great deal and have pointed me in some very good directions. Lately, I've really begun to explore the Americans a lot (usually a little bit easier on the pocketbook also) but certainly haven't forgotten about the others.
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:51 pm

Bob,
Nice to see you posting about SMSW, I take it you've finally recovered from the oldest's wedding and Christmas in close proximity?

I was praising your efforts awhile back about hunting out what codes on bottles meant and had wondered whereabouts you were of late.

I'm still a bit leery of bourbon, although I have a Buffalo Trace sitting in the Lair, (so not too leery). This summer I may be able to do some sampling (I need to empty 14 more bottles first) but your comments give me more interest than I had. What sort of directions have you received from the Houston group and can you share them?

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Hey Muskrat,
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I've been busy and unable to post very much lately. For the bottle codes, I was able to crack some but others are still a mystery. Wrote to a number of the different distilling groups, some responded and some did not. If you would like more details, I can provide them.

As for American whiskeys, like SMSW everyone has their own tastes and preferences. What I believe is an excellent, low-cost starter (already attested to by DrRich), is the Old Weller Antique 7 yo., which is a wheat-flavored bourbon. Another good wheat-flavored is the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yo 107 proof (the 15 yo version is better, but much harder to find and be sure to get the 107 proof vs. the 90 proof). The Van Winkle line (goes variously under the names Van Winkle, Old Rip Van Winkle, Pappy Van Winkle) are all usually very good, but some are also pricey. Things can vary with aging and the mash bill, or recipe, that is used, but wheat-flavored bourbons are generally milder and a little bit sweeter, often with a little bit more honey. Maker's Maker is a very popular wheater.

The other type of bourbon, rye-flavored, is generally more robust and spicier. Rye-flavored bourbons make up about 2/3 of all bourbons. Knob Creek is a popular rye-flavored bourbon. Your Buffalo Trace is rye-flavored and is good. Another suggestion for a starter is Elijah Craig 12 yo. Evan Williams Single Barrel is also a good starter (the 1996 vintage is a good one). Wild Turkey is popular, but much more robust and flavorful - go for the Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit if you want to try a WT. Booker's is also very good, but, again, stronger and more robust.

The Straight Ryes have become popular lately and there are some good ones. If you see a Sazerac 18 yo, snap it up quick, it is excellent but difficult to find. The Sazerac 6 yo is also very good. The Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 yo is very nice. WT has just put out Russell's Reserve Rye which is also very nice.

This is a simplified starter for American whiskey. Let me know if have any questions.

Bob
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby mathews » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:11 pm

To complement Bob's list of good, intro bourbons I would add Old Forrester, Old Fitzgerald, Evan Williams 10, and Jim Beam Black.
David
mathews

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:45 am

Bob & David:
Thank you for your prompt information. I'll print it off and use your notes when I go on holidays this April. If I can make a run down to the 'States this summer, I'll have to take another look around although my best bet may be to hold off until I can get to Toronto in the Fall and see what I can find at a couple of the LC's that have better selections.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:59 am

I put myself down for Scotch, Canadian Whisky, American Whiskey and Japanese. However, I own at most one or two bottles each of CDN, American and Japanese whiskies - the vast majority of it is Scotch :)

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks for the write-up Yellow...

Almost seems like it should be in it's own thread.... :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Last edited by mikeymad on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeymad

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder