Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Collectors: Is a Ltd Edition more collectable than a Single

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Collectors: Is a Ltd Edition more collectable than a Single Cask

A Ltd Edition is more collectable simply because it is designated as limited by the bottler
14%
A single cask is as collectable as a Ltd Edition because it is de facto limited in quantity
29%
I regard both as equally collectable
57%

Total votes : 21

Re: Collectors: Is a Ltd Edition more collectable than a Single

Postby Newbie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:12 pm

I picked both because:

A single cask OB release is rare and limited by definition as above.

However releases such as Port Ellens, Rosebanks, PC6 are not single casks but only a limited number are available therefore can seen to be collectable (well I wouldn't mind a few bottles for my collection :D ).

I wouldn't buy it simply because it said 'Limited Edition' on the box, I would research it and make my own mind up whether I'd want to buy it or not.
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:38 pm

The interesting thing is that in time the standard OB bottling may become as collectable as either the LE or the single cask. Why? Consumption of the non-limited releases.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:33 pm

I think it is not only rarity that counts. Certainly rare bottlings fetch a premium, but those that had some fame when they were readily available are likely to become more valuable when they eventually become rare, because you add in the nostalgia factor.

Imagine the Springbank collector for example, looking at two bottles of his favourite malt, neither of which he has in his collection. One is a single cask that he knows little about, the other a favourite old bottling, once widely available, which has become rare through attrition. If they are the same price which one will he choose? I know which one I would choose.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm

A few ways of looking at this really ....

I think in the short term the single cask (OB only though) will appreciate much more quickly due to the extreme limited availability in comparison to a Limited edition which these days seems to be in the 1000's

Of course what Willie says is spot on .... a bottle with some renown will be a very good investment (if your that way inclined) when it is long gone .... and as good if not better than a single cask.

However then you have these runs of single cask which seem to come out every year and I think that just takes the shine off it and I for one think that's a good thing as all these single casks are trying to exploit the collectors market and once the Distilleries over milk it then some of the madness may stop :headbang: :lol: I'll hold my breath though :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 pm

All of you have made some great points. It would seem that each (single cask, limited edition, and standard bottlings) can become a highly desireable bottle. It's not scarcity but scarcity combined with demand that will cause the prices to escalate.

IWC, Balvenie issues their 15 yo as single cask bottlings only. Somehow, I don't think there will be too much demand for these as collectibles.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Ganga wrote:IWC, Balvenie issues their 15 yo as single cask bottlings only. Somehow, I don't think there will be too much demand for these as collectibles.

Great minds.......

I was thinking the same point...... :thumbsup:

Since we have talked about it many times.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Wave » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 pm

IWC, Balvenie issues their 15 yo as single cask bottlings only. Somehow, I don't think there will be too much demand for these as collectibles.

Which is kinda odd when you look at Aberlour a'bunadh batches which at least seemingly around here are!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder