Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Collectors: What factors make a bottle collectable for you?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Collectors: What factors make a bottle collectable for you?

The Distillery
18%
Limited Release
17%
Single cask
14%
Owner/Distillery bottling
9%
Vintage
9%
Age (maturation age)
11%
Connection with an event (distillery anniversary, coronation, stillman's retirement etc)
5%
Connection with a person (celebrity for example - a golfer or suchlike)
4%
Rarity (other than Limited Release - for example just don't turn up on the market often)
12%
Other (specify in a post!)
1%

Total votes : 93

Re: Collectors: What factors make a bottle collectable for you?

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:45 pm

It seems there are so many factors contributing to what makes a whisky become collectable, it's hard to keep up! Perhaps the fewer the bottles the better, but if it's nothing special in the first place, perhaps no one will buy the few bottles available! I'd think older expressions would be more valuable but I've seen some very young bottles carry an expensive price tag too. It's just hard to keep up! But with the emerging markets coming into play, everything might be collectable before we know it!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Some folks collect specific distilleries Nick. Like the Ardbeg and the Springbank crowds. That's not really an option on your list as some will collect OBs from all distilleries.

I don't really focus much on collecting. I just buy it because I like the sound of it and then find that I already have a lot of bottles to drink when I get home.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:09 pm

In your list, I would have added the strength (AVB), since I am not too fond of too old bottles at 40%/70 Proof, since they tend to be sometimes a bit flat.
I am not a real collector, but what I find important when buying bottles for my stock is to buy a whisky that I appreciated very much.
When I buy a bottle of whisky, the quality price ratio in an important aspect. I enjoyed Ardbeg very much, but the prices are so high, that I prefer to drink and buy (stock) bottles of alternative distilleries such as Ardmore.
In addition, the collector factors might be linked to your financial ressources (e.g., I would not start a Bowmore collection if you have £500). For me, an additional aspect is the history of the distillery. I would be more tempted by a distillery with a history than a recent industrial distillery (with some exception). For instance, collecting Benromach could be interesting, since it would allow to compare the products of a same distillery using two different distillery "equipments".
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Since I am new to single malts, I am trying to collect a wide range of whiskys to sample.

I am buying the occasional bottle which are rare or that doesn't turn up on the market to often. Not really to collect them but to save them for a special occasion or to drink them a few years later when I can really appreciate it.
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:10 pm

I collect SM without any intention of selling it in the future. I am attracted to unique bottles and labels also. Most bottles are in the higher price range. I just enjoy looking at it, showing it to friends, and reading the labels. I would open a bottle in the collection from time to time for a special occasion like the Macallan Gran Reserve and some of the Ardbegs and Springbanks.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:36 pm

C57,
I am a collector of more than 15 years and, by collector, I mean that as someone who does not open bottles in the collection, but store them purely to be resold later as an investment.
I have studied collecting for investment and now have quite some experience and knowledge in this field.

As people have already mentioned, there are no clear-cut rules or guidelines to collecting for investment, it really is a fickle area. One which can depend upon distillery name, reputation and even fashion.
Some distilleries are sought after, no matter what they produce. Others are the opposite.
Then we have the issue of closed distilleries which cause people to speculate ........

Add to this the rarity value of so-called limited edditions, then you have a complicated equation as the answer to your dilemma.

Just to throw a further spanner into the works, OBs are generally more collectible than IBs, even though IBs are often more limited bottlings and also excellent to drink.

Therefore, in conclusion, I think you must agree that this is a complicated area and one with no clear-cut answer in such a poll.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby lincoln imp » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:20 pm

I will leave roughly 1/4 of my bottles unopened in the hope that they may be worth something one day. I look for limited releases like most people or older vintages. I also keep my eyes open for the odd rarity if it takes my fancy ( and i have the budget ). I am currently on the lookout for a nice 2000 bottling to give to my son in 2018 for his 18th birthday. What a great way to celebrate his coming of age with a fine whisky. Marvellous. :D :D :D
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:02 am

My first concern is simply availability of the product. If I can't find it I can't buy it. This limits my collecting to a very large extent.

Once that concern has been met, the next criteria is "do I already own one and do I want another?" followed closely by the "Oh my God, that's an extinct/closed/mothballed distillery! I've gotta have it!"

Of course at that point we also run into the "Damn, I don't have that much on me and promised not to use my credit card for whisky!"

If I can find and purchase what I consider a collectable bottle, generally a closed/mothballed distillery, then I will put it in my "not to be opened" section. I'm not as tuned in as Malt Teaser is to the market conditions and can't really afford to be too choosy due to severly limited availability over here. If I don't grab it, the next person will.

At present I am more of a "collect to drink" as opposed to a "collect to invest" whisky maven. At some point, I'd like to get into collection of just one distilleries' offerings, but for now I'm still sampling and enjoying what I purchase.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:18 am

My collection has been based on the closure of many distilleries in the last thirty years. I have tried to build the core of my collection on this premise, but as this becomes more difficult and more expensive to easily acquire the more scarce distilleries, i have looked to supplement this with limited bottlings from well known and well liked distilleries.

Of course the question of collecting is weighted against my own desire to sample as many fine expressions of single malts, and so inevitably I have a number of good quality bottlings open and I have the good fortune of being within striking distance of a well supplied country pub.

Going forward, i will always look to pick up my favorites, brora, rosebank, port ellen and sample as many quality whiskies as they become available. I hope to have made some sound investments but also some quality supplies as a historical record, and as a treat for special occasions. I will continue to educate myself to the world of Malt Whisky and look to share my knowledge and search for the "perfect dram".
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby clicker7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:23 am

First it has to be an expression I really enjoy/love -- something I think is delicious. Then it has to be a limited edition, or scarce, albeit difficult to some degree to acquire. Then I stockpile it.

Recently I bought a few bottles Talisker 175th Editions just to have a little stockpile in my collection. I love this expression-- it's my favortie Talisker. It is just about depleted in my State (WA/USA), so at least I have a few bottles to look forward to in the future.

My area does not have a great selection (good, not great). Thank goodness, or I would need a bigger cupboard!

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder