Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

OB OR IB

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

I Collect :- OB Or IB Or Both

OB
45%
IB
8%
Both
47%

Total votes : 38

OB OR IB

Postby woodhill » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:26 pm

Looking through my collection this weekend I noticed most of my bottlings are OB's in fact besides for the a few of the RM series and some Dewer Rattray stuff and some odd ones I have very few IB's.
I have many different expressions of single distillerys for example 7 different Balvenie's and 5 Laphroaigs 6 Glenlivet's 6 Glenmo's etc. etc.

So what is it? am I a OB snob?

or are most people like that?
woodhill
Gold Member

Re: OB OR IB

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:56 am

Good query Woodhill:
I tend to purchase OB's in general as I find that the distillery offering is a fairly good presentation of what they can do.

I pick up the odd IB when it is a bit unusual or when I happen upon it and have some spare cash in my jeans. Usually when there's nothing else in the shop that I don't already own or have tried in the OB lines.

The nice thing about IBs is they will tend to select an age that the distillery doesn't offer. It's obviously a good marketing strategy for them, but also I like the fact that I can taste something in a different year and see where an older OB has come from or where a younger one is going. Especially if I have an OB to do a head to head with.

And finally, it is more likely that I will see an OB in my market than an IB. Signatory makes it over here most often and the large share of my IBs are theirs'.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:32 am

I have come to enjoy young Islays very much, in the 6-9 year range, and love the cask strenght offering of the IBs. That said, I have more OBs than IBs, by two to one. The IBs I have around tend to be somewhat hard to find (or expensive) in OBs, Brora, Port Ellen, Linlithgow, ect.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 am

OB for me very much for the same reasons as the guys above. Also I like to have the packing of the distillery which marks the bottle out as different from others. Where as an IB bottler will have its look irrespective of whats inside the bottle. Which in itself is not a bad thing. But it differentiates the bottler rather than the distillery.

I do have a few IB's but in proportion to the rest of my collection its under 5%. I quite like for drinking the G & M Private Collection series.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:02 pm

OB mostly.. I think IB gets very interesting when you can compare it to the original expression. I really appreciate G&M or Signatory (and their packaging is rad as well :insane: )
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:35 pm

SoMK wrote:OB mostly.. I think IB gets very interesting when you can compare it to the original expression. I really appreciate G&M or Signatory (and their packaging is rad as well :insane: )

I agree fully with you,SoMK, but nevertheless, as you wrote too, I do drink IB'S too.
:P :P
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:21 am

I tend to collect more IB's than OB's mainly for the fact the I am highly fond of cask strength whisky and I find much more variety amonst the IB's in that area. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:02 pm

I purchase much more IB than OB's these days. I have a lot of OB's, and there are not many new ones coming out compaired to the many every year, that can be gotten from the IB market. But I buy both (my vote).

If I were to truly 'collect' it would be all OB's. That is were you would make money.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby mikeymad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:19 pm

It is very true C57.

I find that it comes down to the older and rare IB that can have the kind of jump that you mentioned.

And the mini's... they are just crazy....

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby mikeymad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 pm

I have seem some crazy things with mini's, OB's mostly.

$200-300USD for a 50ml... ouch...

Take a look at ebay sometime for mini's

I do agree though, does not build up much stock for a rainy day.... :wink:

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby K-Mile » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 am

Mainly OB's. I think it looks and feels a lot better if you have the bottles lined up nicely by distillery, clearly showing similar expressions... A lineup of IB's can consist of a single bottler, covering most popular distilleries. This doesn't appeal to me from a drinking collector's point of view...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:08 pm

OB's definitely for collecting.

Then when it comes to drinking... the advantage of OB's is that you are fairly sure of what you get.

With IB's it can be a way to get something different from what the distillery OB can offer. However sometimes you can possibly get a slightly bottle but much more exciting in my opinion.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby badgerbrown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Up until recently I've bought only OB's, but I had a great Royal Lochnagar from Signatory on LFW's suggestion, and am now thinking of collecting an IB series as they are much more reasonably priced.
badgerbrown

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:04 pm

My inventory is mostly OB's although I have a good percentage of SMWS bottlings, Signatory Unchillfiltered Collection and a small spatterings of G&M and Dewar Rattray. My preference is for the OB's.

I just did a quick count of OB's vs IB's and to my surprise I have 25% IB's.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder