Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Valentine's Day..For Me!

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What should I get for Valentine's

Ardbeg 10
52%
Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin
19%
Cragganmore Distiller's Edition
5%
Macallan FO 15 Yr / 17Yr
5%
Connemara
10%
Old Forester's BD Bourbon / Woodford Reserve
5%
other (please sepcify in post)
5%

Total votes : 21

Valentine's Day..For Me!

Postby whiskeyme » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Well, my wife went clothes shopping with a bunch of gift cards from X-Mas and spent about $65-70 (US) over the gift cards and declared the extra $ spent as her Valentine's Day Gift. Now I get to spend $65-70 on me :smoke: . My brother and I have built a very decent whiskey collection. We've got many Scotches (SMs & blends) from every region, some Irish Whiskeies (Jameson 12, Bushmills Black Bush, Bushmills SM 21 Year..unopened) and Bourbons (WT Kentucky Spirit, Booker's, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams SB 1996, Elijah Craig 12). So, this is tough.
I've got a Balvenie 21 year portwood that I like, so I'm considering Glenmorangie's new port finish Quinta Rubin. I like my GlenMo 10, and I might enjoy this port. Or the Cragganmore's Distiller Edition which is port finished. We've already got enough sherried scotches.
I have the Lagavulin 16 (which is wonderful, smokey, very complex Islay) and the Laphroig 10. The Laphroig ten is one of my favorite whiskies. I'm considering the Ardbeg 10, but I'm wondering if this is just more of the same from the other two Islays. I've tried a few Bowmores and Buchladiach (spelling), and I'm not a fan. What about a Connemara, the peated Irish Whiskey?
Maybe, something unique. I tried the Macallan Fine Oak 10 the other week, and I liked it (sorry folks :P ) maybe I should try the 15 or 17 FO that have great reps.
Maybe it's time for another Bourbon, a Old Forester's Birthday or Woodford Reserve.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................
whiskeyme

Re: Valentine's Day..For Me!

Postby lohssanami » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Welcome to the forums!

I voted for the Quinta Ruban, one I really enjoyed.

If you are going to try Ardbeg, I'd recommend the Uigeadail. It may be a bit over your price range as it sells in the $79-90 range, but I like it more than the 10, even though I like the 10 alot.

Good Luck and welcome again to the forums.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby badgerbrown » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:25 pm

I voted for the Ardbeg 10. Don't worry about it being similar to other Islay's as it's definitely unique and for me it's the best "standard" expression there is. Connemara is worth trying, but if you can you should get the cask strength version whic has greater balance and depth that the standard version, which is a bit flat IMO.
badgerbrown

Postby Ganga » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:06 am

I voted for Ardbeg 10 as it is truly a marvelous beverage and for me is preferred to the Oogie. I was also thinking that the Lagavulin 16 sells around me for the $60-70. Whatever you choose, come back and let us know.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby clicker7 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:53 pm

I voted for other..... Lagavulin Distillers Edition!

I see you like Laga 16 (one of my favorites also); I have read some nice things about the Dist. Edition, so that would make a nice addition for you.

It's on my personal list to pick up this week, as the latest edition was just released around here.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Well, I have been experimenting and learning more about bourbon, thanks to a particularly generous trading partner. I have now had all the standard Van Winkle's and I can say that the 10yo 107 for me is just stunning. This is closely followed in quality by the Weller 12- you can tell that I prefer wheat recipe bourbons to the rye.

Also a plug for Ardbeg 10- just an outstanding ride, and perhaps the perfect winter malt.

I also am a fan of the Macallan Fine Oak line- I know we are in the minority. Rich and sugary malt, nice and heavy, about as clean in maltyness as I have found.My only problem is that the 15, which I think is far better then the 12 or the 18 sherry editions, are really not priced in line with other 15 year old malts.

The older Macallan sherried malts that I have tried have been gems- not a fan of their sappyness of their current sherried malts..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby arkle » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 am

Voted for Quinta Rubin, I love Cragganmore but the distillers edition is just off key, doesnt work at all for me Im afraid :)
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:12 am

Connemara.
Deactivated Member

Postby mathews » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Buy Old Weller Antique 107 for $20. Take the extra $45 and buy a bottle of Caol Ila 12. Now there's a Valentine's party waiting to happen!
mathews

Postby Ryguy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:32 pm

I voted for the Ardbeg 10. Let us know what you chose and how you like it. :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder