Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How many years have you been collecting/drinking whisky?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Less than a year.
13%
1-3 years.
27%
3-5 years.
16%
5-10 years.
10%
10-20 years.
22%
20-30 years.
7%
30-40 years.
3%
40+ years.
2%

Total votes : 127

Postby lohssanami » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm not sure if this question has been asked here, but I thought it would be nice to see how long some of you have been enjoying single malts and/or whisk(e)y in general. Let's maybe just factor in the time when you specifically found an interest in enjoying whisky, and not the amount of time since you first tried it.

I drank some Jack Daniels in high school, but I didn't get into whisk(e)y until less than a year ago.

If you want, throw in what got you started on the whisky wagon.

How many years has it been?

Also, did any of you old timers tour a distillery before it was closed, and then after it was re-opened? Ardbeg made me think of this question.

Cheers...
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Re: How many years have you been collecting/drinking whisky?

Postby Wave » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:16 pm

I've been drinking single malt scotch since my mid-20's (mid 80's) and I'm 49 now, so 20+ years or so. I've actually only started collecting within the last 7 years when my buying of overcame my drinking of! :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:28 pm

About 15 years...
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:40 pm

Since sometime in 1995. It doesn't quite coincide with when I started playing "bar" trivia as that corresponds to Cobain's suicide. However, bar trivia is the reason I got hooked. It started with the Macallan 12 and progressed to Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. And then the race was on. :shock:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:50 pm

It's ganga's fault.....

I started into whisky a couple of years after ganga. He would talk about it all the time, and I was like 'whatever'. Then I tried a Bowmore 21yo blend (good beverage) with a good cigar sitting by the pool, and it was was like... Oh, that is what this is all about.

So it has been right around 10 years for me. Over 750 different whisky's tried and probably around 400+ bottles purchased.

Cheers,
Last edited by mikeymad on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikeymad

Postby Ryguy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:58 pm

It has been about 1 1/2 years that I've had the pleasure of enjoying single malts. I have been enjoying whisky for quite some time (since high school), mostly Canadian whisky like Crown Royal, Hirsch, Canadian Club, Canadian Mist etc. Then I slowly got into trying a Glenlivet, Glenfiddich once in a while. Until I received a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for my birthday. WOW, that was it, the rest is history. Now I'm continually building up my collection everyday and I love it. I'm totally amazed by not only how many great single malts there are out there, but also the range of bottlings that each distillery has available, plus all of the IB's. I've really enjoyed every step of my journey so far, and I can't wait until I've been doing this for 10-15 years plus. :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:19 pm

I've been a whisky drinker for two-and-a-half years. During a rather alcohol-fuelled night out a friend of mine (who, ironically, doesn't drink whisky) proclaimed that he could tell the difference between a single malt and a blend; having never tried a single malt I was genuinely impressed by this. I ordered one of each for him and for me (if memory serves, the blend was a standard Bells... the single malt was definitely a Glenlivet 12). Having drank several blends before the Bells was no revelation, but as soon as I tasted the Glenlivet I was hooked, with it being the first ever bottle of single malt scotch I bought as a result.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 pm

I have been drinking whisk(e)y since Oct 2007! Yes, I am a real newbie. I actually tried Johnnie Walker Black a few times in past years, and was repulsed by it! I never liked doing shots either. I have been pretty much a beer and wine drinker for years. This past October, a co-worker of mine got to talking about Bushmill's Black Bush and he raved at how great it was. So, I found a small Bushmill's three pack at the local liquor store and bought it. I poured them over ice and kind of enjoyed it. I then bought a 750ml bottle of Black Bush and finished it off in about two weeks (all over ice still). Then I started researching whisk(e)y and found this forum where I have learned everything I know about it (Thanks!) I then tried Glenlivet 12 and Macallan 12 (on the rocks still) I like the Glenlivet, not the Macallan. I tried Johnnie Walker Black again and was able to get it down this time. Then I got a big bottle of Teacher's and started drinking it without ice and just a splash of water. Then bought myself my first SMS Glenmorangie 10 and it was then I was totally hooked! No ice, no water, just the whisky! Now, I am trying everything I can now and started a pretty good stock of whisk(e)y.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Gov wrote:I have been drinking whisk(e)y since Oct 2007! Yes, I am a real newbie. I actually tried Johnnie Walker Black a few times in past years, and was repulsed by it! I never liked doing shots either. I have been pretty much a beer and wine drinker for years. This past October, a co-worker of mine got to talking about Bushmill's Black Bush and he raved at how great it was. So, I found a small Bushmill's three pack at the local liquor store and bought it. I poured them over ice and kind of enjoyed it. I then bought a 750ml bottle of Black Bush and finished it off in about two weeks (all over ice still). Then I started researching whisk(e)y and found this forum where I have learned everything I know about it (Thanks!) I then tried Glenlivet 12 and Macallan 12 (on the rocks still) I like the Glenlivet, not the Macallan. I tried Johnnie Walker Black again and was able to get it down this time. Then I got a big bottle of Teacher's and started drinking it without ice and just a splash of water. Then bought myself my first SMS Glenmorangie 10 and it was then I was totally hooked! No ice, no water, just the whisky! Now, I am trying everything I can now and started a pretty good stock of whisk(e)y.

Oh boy another suc.., er, journeyman begins on the journey down the long path of whisky. :insane: Next up. Islay. :mrgreen:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Gov » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Ganga wrote:
Gov wrote:I have been drinking whisk(e)y since Oct 2007! Yes, I am a real newbie. I actually tried Johnnie Walker Black a few times in past years, and was repulsed by it! I never liked doing shots either. I have been pretty much a beer and wine drinker for years. This past October, a co-worker of mine got to talking about Bushmill's Black Bush and he raved at how great it was. So, I found a small Bushmill's three pack at the local liquor store and bought it. I poured them over ice and kind of enjoyed it. I then bought a 750ml bottle of Black Bush and finished it off in about two weeks (all over ice still). Then I started researching whisk(e)y and found this forum where I have learned everything I know about it (Thanks!) I then tried Glenlivet 12 and Macallan 12 (on the rocks still) I like the Glenlivet, not the Macallan. I tried Johnnie Walker Black again and was able to get it down this time. Then I got a big bottle of Teacher's and started drinking it without ice and just a splash of water. Then bought myself my first SMS Glenmorangie 10 and it was then I was totally hooked! No ice, no water, just the whisky! Now, I am trying everything I can now and started a pretty good stock of whisk(e)y.

Oh boy another suc.., er, journeyman begins on the journey down the long path of whisky. :insane: Next up. Islay. :mrgreen:

I am already loving Laphroaig 10! Ardbeg and Lagavulin is on my radar!!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:15 am

I'm in the 20-30 bracket with Wave on the grounds of drinking rather than collecting (I still can't quite see myself as a collector). I suppose I might just have squeezed myself into the top bracket since I bought my first half bottle on my 14th birthday, but I couldn't afford to drink much then so I think the lower bracket is more reasonable.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:18 am

Ganga wrote:Oh boy another suc.., er, journeyman begins on the journey down the long path of whisky. :insane:

I'm thinking you were about to say 'another successful convert' there Ganga :D
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:33 am

Willie,

That comes later when I start telling him about glasses. :shock: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:35 am

It is a staging process.....

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby lohssanami » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 am

Ganga wrote:Willie,

That comes later when I start telling him about glasses. :shock: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

That's right...I still need to get some Glencairn glasses.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:24 pm

I started drinking blended whisky at first. Some favorites then was Cutty Sark, Chivas Regal, JB, JW. I did not even know single malt existed until 10 years ago. Leaving the world of blended scotches which are of unvarying taste and potency, I started getting interested when I saw Glenfiddich and Glenlivet in US bars. They are more expensive than the blended kind. I joined the US SMWS and there is where it started.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:09 pm

Stationed in scotland 3 years in the early 80's
(NAVY) drank all the glens and grouses.
Started collecting 5 years now and average
about 120 bottles a year.I need help drinking
them! Most people I meet do not like scotch
and the ones that do I find QUITE UNFRIENDLY !
There are times I prefer to drink with the common
man, he appreciates much more.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:43 pm

jazz lover wrote:Stationed in scotland 3 years in the early 80's

I'll help you with pleasure. Do you want me to PM you my address so you can send me some.

As a fellow forumite I won't even charge you for helping out.

:P #

I'm very friendly :lol:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:53 pm

20 years this coming September since my first bottle of Malt. It was a bottle of Glenmorangie bought for my 18th birthday by my Grandfather. What a great guy!

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Great poll and topic lohssanami, popular too and interesting reading.
I started in the Fall of 2003 when a friend told me to smell the Ardbeg Ten. That was it, unbelievable, I wanted to inhale the whole bottle! That really kick started my whisky passion. And about 6 months later I started collecting, when that same friend and I had the opportunity to go in together to buy a few Port Ellens, with the plan to sell them in our own bar one day. We ended up using one in a tasting months later, and the other we just drank and fully enjoyed it with others that also loved it. Whisky is a passion of mine that isn't superceded but much else at all, (David Lynch gets very close though!!)
Di Blasi

Postby Aeolus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Legally since 1972. Only thing available in the states I lived in were the blends. Those were pretty low grade too! Things like Scoresby, MacNish, Monarch. JW Red was upper middle and JW Black was definately "high end".
:shock:
I never could appreciate bourbon (tastes like medicine :twisted: ).

About 10 to 12 years ago the state started letting in SMS and things got better for us fast. Stuck to Lafroaig 10 (if it isn't broke, don't fix it) for a number of years until I ran into an Ardbeg 10 and from there I started to see what else was out there.

The only reason I have a "collection" (that is a gross exaggerration of what is in the closet) is because I haven't had time to try them. Eventually, I'll get to them. Probably by then this state won't stock them anymore, so I'll have to try something else, I guess.
Aeolus

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 pm

I officially started drinking single malts in 2005 after a trip to Edinburgh. (I drank blended dreck earlier on, but that doesn't count...) And since I seem to be buying things faster than I can drink them, I am now a collector too! :P
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:34 pm

About four and a half years ago, while living in Omaha Nebraska, I started to hang out at a bar called the Dundee Dell, prior to my bowling league. I knew nothing of Scotch, and usually went for a beer (very good selection). I became intrigued by the menu of over 400 malts and the amazing displays on the wall. After a few weeks, I asked one of the bartenders to recommend something to me to try-Glenmorangie 12 Sherry Wood was his selection. It was fascinating, the odd flavors which I hardly understood, the way he spoke about the nose, the mouth, the finish. Each week, I stopped by and tried something new, and soon became hooked. At last count, I have over 349 malts on my spread sheet, all with scores, most with comments, and as we say, the rest is history.

My "collection" consists of about 40 bottles, and many samples in bottles of various sized for future drinking or trading (thus the reason why I have been able to try so many).

The best on my adventure so far? Ardbeg Provenance or Port Ellen 1980 from Signatory. The worst? A certain black whisky....

What I love most is the many friends I have met along the way, and old friends to whom I periodically give samples too, or share the occasional drink, when we get to bask in the complexity and simplicity of a little dram..

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:00 pm

jazz lover wrote:Stationed in scotland 3 years in the early 80's

I don't see myself as unfriendly so I'd help you out anytime I'm in your area...where ever that may be. :D
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 am

Collecting and drinking for about 5 years after getting a cask for my 18 Bday. I suppose compared to most 60 ish bottles doesn't show much for collecting for 5 years but its only the last couple of years i've really gone out to collect.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:42 am

r900p wrote:Collecting and drinking for about 5 years after getting a cask for my 18 Bday. I suppose compared to most 60 ish bottles doesn't show much for collecting for 5 years but its only the last couple of years i've really gone out to collect.

Rob

What an 18th birthday gift, wow, nice going!
Di Blasi

Postby r900p » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:05 am

Yeah but think of the costs when i come to bottle it!!

I just hope i don't get fed up of Bruichladdich depending on when i botle it i may have it coming out of my ears. But then a few bottles are going to people on here, and i'll offer more nearer the time i guess.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:07 am

I shall look forward to mine then Rob? :P
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 am

I only started on single malts last year, before that I was a beer and Bourbon drinker, been drinking bourbon since the mid eighties? :P
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:13 am

r900p wrote:Yeah but think of the costs when i come to bottle it!!

I just hope i don't get fed up of Bruichladdich depending on when i botle it i may have it coming out of my ears. But then a few bottles are going to people on here, and i'll offer more nearer the time i guess.

Rob

I'm sure you'll find many new friends that would love to take a bottle off your hands, and many others willing to pay for it too! You could break even, or even earn a bit if you want I'm sure, especially if it's a good one. Send a sample to Jim Murray to review for his bible, Gordon, Spirit of Islay, had a tip top review for his!!!
Di Blasi

Postby lohssanami » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:32 am

r900p wrote:Yeah but think of the costs when i come to bottle it!!

Rob

Count me in if you need to sell some of the extra stock. Are you going to design a label? Have you even thought about that yet?

When are you going to bottle it? I'm nosy...can you tell?
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:32 pm

Its ready in 5 years time if i want to bottle it as a 10, prob prefer it to be slightly older so its not as sharp.

Label hasn't been designed or even considered. Its a shame Bruichladdich don't let you have it bottled in the small squat bottles i really prefer them to the tall ones they use.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:09 pm

I used to drink all sorts of different drinks, including Jack Daniels with ice (no coke - I'm annoying enough on alcohol, imagine how much worse it gets with caffeine too). When I bought a pub there was a Balvenie and a Glenfiddich on the shelf. I tried them (with ice), for research and development purposes. My brother encouraged me to drop the ice in a "drink it how you want, it's all good but try it without the cold stuff and see what you can notice" kind of way. Then it got tasty. That was about 4 years ago.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:17 pm

I voted 10-20 years even though I've had whiskey over 20 yr ago (thanks grandad :wink: ) I cannot say I was at it regularly. So from a regular point of view I fall just short of the 20years mark. However collecting has been a very recent thing and can say I'm only at it 7-8years now.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby SoMK » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:29 pm

I voted 5 to 10 but I could have chosen 10-15..
My grand-mother passed this on to me when she went away at 97yo after spending the last 5 years of her life mainly on whisky and shortbreads... :dead: :wink: We used to regularly share a few drams and well, I kept the habit and all the fond memories.
My dad's the perfect heir of hers and steals my bottles on a regular basis.
SoMK
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder