Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How many years have you been collecting/drinking whisky?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How many years have you been collecting/drinking whisky?

Less than a year.
13%
1-3 years.
27%
3-5 years.
16%
5-10 years.
10%
10-20 years.
22%
20-30 years.
7%
30-40 years.
3%
40+ years.
2%

Total votes : 127

Re: How many years have you been collecting/drinking whisky?

Postby lohssanami » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:16 am

It's good to hear the different ways people got into whisky.

Keep em coming!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:00 am

I've been out of University for over 30 years, where I first met, fell in love with and became a habitual drammer of Single Malts, neat. Before that I was a rye whisky or blended Scotch drinker, with ice and water in profusion.

I'm over the 32 year mark right now and it's still like yesterday that I had my first Glenlivet!

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:14 pm

I thought I was going to be in a minority group, there...but no!

Lots of newbies out there...

:angel:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:53 pm

I have been drinking whisky regularly for nearly (but not quite) 20 years. Gosh, that makes me feel old. I first started drinking whisky when I was in my very late teens. I decided when I was 21 or so that I was sick of running out of drink at 4 in the morning and that all I had to do was make an initial investment in some drink stock and make sure I replaced a bottle when I finished it. I started out builing up from half a dzen malts at a tme to about 9 or ten. Within a couple of years, I was up to about 20, But it mushroomed when I moved to Edinburgh about four years ago and I have been buying more, frankly, then I expect to drink (although almost every bottle is bought with the expectation of drinking it).
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:27 am

Since the first camping trip to Scotland in the summer of 1984.
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:25 am

Bute...it seems there are alot of new folks to Scotch...at least I hope I'm not the only one.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby arkle » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:32 pm

Since a trip to a distillery about 8yrs ago (Glenfiddich) I hated it, visited another and tried that and thought wow! this is different, and then was hooked visiting distilleries and tasting all the wonderful offerings. Have visited a fair few,most of Speyside,Highland ,Campbeltown,Islay, but still have to reach Orkney. Stil, its good to have a goal. :wink:
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:43 pm

I think from 1972.
So, that's about 36 years. :(
And even now, I have the feeling, that I know just a little.
Doesn't matter, go on, I tell to myself. Learning, learning all the time.
Besides, most of the stuff is good or even better than expected(in some cases).
Collecting became later, when getting older. :(
Anyway, I like IT. I LOVE IT. :P
:thumbsup:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:00 pm

I've been drinking whisky, single malts since my early 20's so for nearly 30 years. However I did take a few years off from alcohol for some long forgotten reason.

The follies of youth.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:20 am

I made my first trip to Scotland in 1998. I might have had a drop or two, but it really wasn't on my radar. I can't even tell you why I went to Islay in 1999. I was aware of the distilleries, but I still wasn't really into the stuff. The closed Bruichladdich drew my attention only for the reason that my first name is Bruce. The Ardbeg "A" drew me, also, as that's the initial of my family name. I have photos of both places from that year.

At around the same time, I was reading Malt Advocate fairly regularly. It used to have a pretty even split between beer content and whisky content. I was interested in the beer stuff, but I read the whisky material, too, and it intrigued me. In that year, I picked up several bottles of Glenrothes from the duty-free entering the US from Canada, and went through two or three of them while trying to figure it out.

It was Lagavulin that finally clicked--nosing it reminded me of peat fires in highland pubs in blustery Octobers. I'm not really quite sure when that was. I know that, when I first went to Shetland in 2000, a bottle of Talisker on the shelf at the Lounge Bar in Lerwick was my week-long friend. It has been an ever-changing journey since, much like life, with some things fondly remembered but left behind, and plenty left yet to look forward to (hopefully).
Deactivated Member

Postby Eric m » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:21 pm

started with some friends as a small club in 1990 with Bushmills black,Rosebank,Talisker,Syn Y Mor and Bowmore cask strength.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:57 am

It's one of those things that I've dabbled with through life. When we were first married I'd probably only drink beer and wine. Then socially it was Blends and dry ginger. When I was 25 we went to Fort William for a couple of weeks with some friends. We went out and tried as many single malts in a hotel bar as we could manage. What we had who knows. The thing that most stands out of that holiday was going to the top of Ben Nevis. Fantastic.

Children come along and your focus in life changes. In the early 90's we stayed at Strachur on the other side of Loch Fyne Inverary. That is what probably got me started. We visited Oban distillery had the tour and joined Friends of the Classic Malts I've been receiving copies of The Quaich ever since.

Then in January 2004 we went to Islay, stayed at The Port Charlotte hotel. We visited Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Lagavulin, Laphroiag and Ardbeg. Also LFW on the way there and on the way back. It was tough but someone had to do it.

Whilst there I came across the Whisky Magazine for the first time it was issue 36 with the cast of Monarch of the Glen on the front cover. The whole experience was like a road to Damascus thing. I started to realise what it was all about. I became a WM subscriber straight away and lurked here for a while as a reader before I joined the forums. Meanwhile I was starting to buy more than I was drinking. I probably won't drink everything that I have bought.

So How long have I been drinking single malts? on and off for about 17 or 18 years. Although they have been in the background for a bit longer. Collecting about 4 years.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:01 am

That was a very good milestone post, and may I say that it really makes me want to visit your side of the pond and spend a good month just hanging out.

One day, I'll venture over, and when I do, you better have your drinking shoes on...
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Collector57 wrote:Dates always escape me!

I can't even get one....
Deactivated Member

Postby TheShrink » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:02 pm

My brother encouraged me . . .

I get blamed for everything!

20+ years for me, now. A friend foisted good 18 year old Macallan on me and it just took off from there.
TheShrink

Postby t-bone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:45 am

My first post...I started into single malts about 3 months ago but I've been drinking Canadian whisky for nearly 20 years. As a teenager, my favorites were Seagrams 83 and Crown Royal. Into my 20's, Gibson's Finest became my drink of choice. Now in my 30's, Gibson's Finest Rare 18 year old and anything from Balvenie and Macallan are tops on my list.
t-bone

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:01 am

Hi, t-bone, you have an amazing journey ahead of you! And it seems to me that Winterpeg (as Muskrat Portage calls it) would be prime dramming country. Welcome, we look forward to following your progress.
Deactivated Member

Postby t-bone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hi, t-bone, you have an amazing journey ahead of you! And it seems to me that Winterpeg (as Muskrat Portage calls it) would be prime dramming country. Welcome, we look forward to following your progress.

Thanks MrTattieHeid. I'm really looking forward to a dram of Balvenie Doublewood this summer at the cottage!
t-bone

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:42 am

t-bone:
Welcome to the Forums, now where's this cottage you speak of? Clearwater Bay or Lake of the Woods proper mayhaps?

If you're shy of posting the info on the Forum, feel free to PM me. If you get into town this summer, we could meet for a dram.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby t-bone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:t-bone:
Welcome to the Forums, now where's this cottage you speak of? Clearwater Bay or Lake of the Woods proper mayhaps?

If you're shy of posting the info on the Forum, feel free to PM me. If you get into town this summer, we could meet for a dram.

Muskrat Portage

Thanks for the offer but "my" lake is in Manitoba's whiteshell and still a fair distance from Ontario.
t-bone

Postby drunkenjayhawk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 pm

Since 1995, I recall that because I had gotten bitten by the PC bug then and finally purchased one for home instead of using the Universitys. I then made a few web pages dedicated to SMS and such.
drunkenjayhawk

Postby Ryguy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm

drunkenjayhawk wrote:Since 1995, I recall that because I had gotten bitten by the PC bug then and finally purchased one for home instead of using the Universitys. I then made a few web pages dedicated to SMS and such.

drunkenjayhawk - Welcome to the Forum! I like the name, I'm rooting for your team in the tourney to go all the way. Not sure if you follow college bball or not, but I'm a huge fan!
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby dylanf84 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:30 pm

My first experience with drinking whisky was a glass of Aberlour 16 Years Old. Then a glass of Laphroaig 10
dylanf84

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:30 am

I've been enjoying whisky about two years now. It started with a trip to Scotland and Highland Park was the one that got me hooked.
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby jazz lover » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Highland Park will do it every time. :smoke:
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby sparky » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:38 am

I can't help but notice the bimodal distribution. It seems that there are two types here superimposed: those that are new to scotch and those that are in it for the long haul. It seems that the newbies lose interest after 5 years of so, but the ones who stick with it are really with it. Would it be fair to say that whisky fanaticism starts strong and wears off after a few years for most but folks who really like the stuff survive the 5-10 year slump and arise as the veterans later? I am a newbie according to the stats here, but I expect to ride through to be in the 10-20 category in about 10 years.
sparky

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 am

Sparky you could be right. However there is another factor and that is the interest caused and sustained by the publications such as Whisky Mag and these forums. You get to interact with like minded people which definetly keeps you thinking and looking at whisky in a more sustained way. 10 years ago these things didn't exist. Also online shopping has greatly increased availability and whisky's appeal.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Klas » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:47 am

10 years now.
My whisky interest started during a university course in Scotland in 1996.
Hmm, that adds up to 12 years actually, time goes faster than you think...

:o
Klas
Silver Member

Postby dylanf84 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:28 am

Its quite interesting how quickly one can really start enjoying whisky. After having never enjoyed it before, it only took one glass of Aberlour 16 to hook me. I've only been enjoying for....2 weeks....but love it already.
dylanf84

Postby CousinLarry » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:18 pm

I am new to the boards. I figured this was the best place to start since I have been lurking here for a little while. I have been drinking SMSW for less than a year. I had tried other kinds of whisky but they never really did much for me. My first bottle was a 12yo Glenlivet. I enjoyed it but didn't really get hooked until I got a bottle of the Balvenie FR 10. After that I started trying something new each time I went to the bar and picking up new bottles when money allowed. I still have a lot left to try but I am enjoying the process. Now I have another hobby to rival my record collection. The only problem is the high prices in the US.
CousinLarry

Postby Ryguy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Welcome to the Forum CousinLarry! :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby CousinLarry » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:35 pm

What I find funny is how similar this forum is to the record collector ones I frequent.

The pace seems more laid back here, but the topics are pretty similar.

What did you listen too last night/now?

What was your most recent purchase?

What is your favorite record from ____ label?

Whatever the topic it is always nice to chat with well informed folks.
CousinLarry

Postby Glen Lovett » Tue May 13, 2008 8:51 pm

About five years, my first bottle was a Springbank 21 yr old which I loved and splashed out with some bonus money I had (£65.00). 1 small dram left in the bottle because I can no longer find it for £65.00!! now one of 80+ bottles I have in my collection. If anyone wants to sell one of these for the above sum, please give me a bell!! :wink:
Glen Lovett

Postby Klas » Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, Glen Lovett
Springbank 21 yrs is indeed a good whisky.
I would guess that the distillery bottling now is 4 times the amount you paid...
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Doug1937 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:33 am

I didn't start making it a point to drink until January 2007, which is when I decided to make buying a bottle each month part of my budget. I didn't buy Scotch until Fall 2007 when I bought a Glenlivet 12, both because it was commonly available and because it seemed to be Tony Soprano's drink of choice.

Until the start of this year my purchasing preference was flavored liqueurs like Galliano, Wild Turkey American Honey, Barenjaeger, Drambuie, etc. But watching shows on TV like Modern Marvels, which sometimes focused on whisky, made me aware of the difference between blended Scotch and single malts. Sometimes specific distilleries were detailed, such as Laphroaig or Glendronach. In these cases this gave me targets to look for, which is how I discovered the glory of peated malts (through Laphroaig). I never met a Scotch I didn't like, but peated malts are much more enjoyable to me than other single malts. If there was a large selection of peated brands I'd be tempted to never buy a non-peated malt.

Funny, but I don't particularly like Irish whiskey or American whiskey, especially not bourbon. I attribute it to the flavor inherent in barley vs. the flavor of corn. I'm a barley type of guy I guess.

:lol:
Doug1937
Bronze Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder