Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

American Rye Whisk(e)y

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which one of the following Rye Whiskies do you consider best?

Templeton Rye
8%
Jim Beam Rye
5%
Wild Turkey Rye
16%
Old Portero Rye
16%
Sazerac Rye
47%
Old Overholt Rye
8%
Fleischmann's Rye
No votes

Total votes : 38

American Rye Whisk(e)y

Postby hilliamash » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:32 am

So, I've limited this to the American Rye's--did not include Canadian. I also did not make a distinction between age/expressions to keep it simple. My personal favorite? Templeton's...then the Saz's.

Best to you guys,
harry
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Re: American Rye Whisk(e)y

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:50 am

i vote for the van winkle rye
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby sku » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:12 am

I've liked most ryes I've had. I'd say my favorites are Potrero and Saz. Rittenhouse, which isn't listed but is a Heaven Hill product, is also very good.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:20 am

how is the potrero..it is one of the few on the list i have yet to taste...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby sku » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:41 am

It's a kick...huge rye flavor with all the spice of good rye. It's the only single malt rye, all of the others are cut with corn (and I don't think they are malted), so it's a very different flavor than any other rye. I love it, but I know a number of people who think it is just too much in the rye department...more spice and not much in the way of sweetness. My favorite OP was the Hoatling, but I think it's all gone.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:31 am

Old Potrero- Truly amazing stuff. Unliked the others listed, it is 100 percent malted rye (most rye are a bit over half rye). Bright rye spices and spiced cookies. I did not take good tasting notes, and still have a sample of this one: Old Potrero Single Malt Whiskey Essay 7-RW-ARM-6 100% Rye uncharred oak barrels(61%, OB, December 31st, 1997- July 14th, 2000)/

I scored it a 92, my highest American whsiky..Saz 18s have been very good also, in the high 80s. Baby saz is very good as well. However, I actaully like the Wild Turkey Rye nealry as well. I do not much care of Jim Beam Rye, and old Overholt is fine, but a bit thin.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:34 am

We had a sample of :thumbsup: Van Winkle Rye yesterday. We all agreed it was absolutely stunning.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm

I went for the Old Potrero, even though I haven't tasted them all. It's different, though, isn't it?
Aidan

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:46 pm

I've only tasted the Old Potrero so I guess I shouldn't vote. It's very good though!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Sazerac is fab :thumbsup:
Willie JJ

Postby hilliamash » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 am

Templeton is "new" rye formulated from a Prohibition era recipe. Great stuff, I was really impressed with it. One of the best that I've had....

I have to agree that Overholt was a bit thin for me. Wild Turkey has a nice sweetness, but JD has the more rye bite.

I do agree with the Portrero remarks...
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby IainB » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:27 pm

I've tried a few of these but didn't know whether the Sazerac was the 18yo or the standard.

Anyway, I voted for the WT Rye on the basis that it's my favourite regular drinking rye (in fact my favourite regular American whiskey).

That said the Sazerac 18 is a firm favourite but not cheap. The Rittenhouse 21yo is also a cracker but like the Sazerac, not something you'd be drinking everyday.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:47 am

Rittenhouse BIB and Wild Turkey Rye are my two regular drinking rye's. I generally prefer the WT, but tonight I felt like the Rittenhouse.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:48 am

I've found and acquired a Buffalo Trace, in my browsing of the local LC. Can't say as I've even heard of most of the others outside of reading about the odd one in WM articles.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:37 pm

I have not had them all but out of:

Jim Beam Rye
Wild Turkey Rye
Old Portero Rye
Sazerac

I liked Sazerac the most. I don't think that I was in the right frame of mind when I had the Old Portero, was not what I expected. Have to try it again. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Eric m » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Old Potrero`s single malted rye whiskey is one of my favs,just like sipping it,smooth taste,nice flavour.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Of those listed the Sazerac was my first choice, (but I assumed the reference was the 18 year old).

Unlisted:

I think Rittenhouse Rye's 100º Bottled in Bond is a 'best' buy. It isn't nearly as complex or sophisticated as some of the older ryes, but is good enough straight or perfect for a cocktail ingredient at a fraction the cost of it's older mates.

I think the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye also is a good buy - if/when you can find it.

On the higher-end and limited editions stuff, I thought the privately bottled, Willett Rye was my favorite in recent memory. Followed not far behind by a somewhat young, but very prestigious rye, Thomas H Handy, introduced into Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection in 2006. Third would be the Sazerac 18.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby hilliamash » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:32 am

The Templetons Rye is an old Prohibition era whiskey that is made in Iowa in copper pot stills and now only sold there and Chicago. Being from the latter, I think that it's fitting that we should get something in exchange for our winters. :mrgreen:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby rabal260 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:35 am

I can't really vote as I've only had Wild Turkey. Having said that, if any of the others can beat 101, they must be amazing! And if they do, I want some now!
rabal260

Postby Gov » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:53 am

Yes, the WT 101 is good stuff!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby WhiskeyBroMike » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:26 pm

My favorite Rye is actually a new find. The High West Rendezvous Rye is blended by a new micro-distillery in Utah. It's a blend of a 17 yr and a 6 yr, and the age creates a mellow and complex Rye. I like the Old Pot, and the Hoatling's is also superb, but the OP in particular is just too brash for my tastes. I need to try the Templeton though....

Check out my Write-up here: http://www.whiskeybros.com/blog/mike/hightimeshighwest
WhiskeyBroMike

Postby Eric m » Fri May 16, 2008 9:13 am

hilliamash wrote:So, I've limited this to the American Rye's--did not include Canadian. I also did not make a distinction between age/expressions to keep it simple. My personal favorite? Templeton's...then the Saz's.

Best to you guys,
harry

I prefer the ryes from Austria,they`ve some nice ones too!
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri May 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Austria? Fantastic! Would love to try them, but unfortunately they are terribly difficult if not impossible to find here in the U.S. When I cross the pond later this year, I'll look for some!
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby jaflaw » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:02 pm

Of the options listed, i choose Sazerac, but I would take Thomas Handy over any of them.
jaflaw

Postby MacAttack80 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:41 am

The Saz for me. I was at a local liquor store the other day and I seen a bottle of a rye whiskey I have never heard of. It is called Rye 1. Labeled as (r)1. Anyone ever seen or heard of this? I was tempted to buy it because I was intrigued. But I bought Laphroaig 10 in its stead.
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby p_elliott » Sun May 10, 2009 6:04 am

MacAttack80 wrote:The Saz for me. I was at a local liquor store the other day and I seen a bottle of a rye whiskey I have never heard of. It is called Rye 1. Labeled as (r)1. Anyone ever seen or heard of this? I was tempted to buy it because I was intrigued. But I bought Laphroaig 10 in its stead.

The new (r)1 is a Jim Beam product I've read mixed reviews on it on other sites but everyone agrees it's overpriced. You paying mostly for packaging (a pretty bottle) , advertising, and hype. They're aiming more for the hi end vodka and the wine drinkers more than the whisk(e)y drinkers. I'm not going to waste my money on it.
p_elliott

Postby Liechtenstein » Sun May 10, 2009 10:00 pm

I couldn't vote because I haven't tried any of the ryes listed. I'll be in Boston in two weeks so I'll look for Fleischmann's...

So far, the best rye I've tasted is Alberta Premium...a Canadian rye.

:mrgreen:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Scoty Utah » Wed May 13, 2009 4:28 am

WhiskeyBroMike wrote:My favorite Rye is actually a new find. The High West Rendezvous Rye is blended by a new micro-distillery in Utah. It's a blend of a 17 yr and a 6 yr, and the age creates a mellow and complex Rye. I like the Old Pot, and the Hoatling's is also superb, but the OP in particular is just too brash for my tastes. I need to try the Templeton though....

Check out my Write-up here: http://www.whiskeybros.com/blog/mike/hightimeshighwest

+1

This is some reeeeally good rye. Going up to the distillery this weekend...
Scoty Utah

Postby RogerB » Wed May 13, 2009 3:43 pm

p_elliott wrote:
MacAttack80 wrote:The Saz for me. I was at a local liquor store the other day and I seen a bottle of a rye whiskey I have never heard of. It is called Rye 1. Labeled as (r)1. Anyone ever seen or heard of this? I was tempted to buy it because I was intrigued. But I bought Laphroaig 10 in its stead.

The new (r)1 is a Jim Beam product I've read mixed reviews on it on other sites but everyone agrees it's overpriced. You paying mostly for packaging (a pretty bottle) , advertising, and hype. They're aiming more for the hi end vodka and the wine drinkers more than the whisk(e)y drinkers. I'm not going to waste my money on it.

I'd heard those reviews too, but I picked up a bottle on a whim, and it's actually quite a nice whiskey. It's on the smoother end of the scale in terms of ryes(not super spicy), but it's very flavorful.

Here's a review FWIW-

http://tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=187673

The flavor profile mentioned is pretty close to my experience.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby RogerB » Wed May 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Some other ryes which I really enjoy, but that haven't been mentioned are Thomas H. Handy and Vintage 21 Rye. These are both excellent. For my regular purposes, I enjoy WT Rye.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby upright » Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 pm

Saz is really cool, even the wife likes it. Wish i could get hold of an 18 yo. Saz i mean.
upright
Bronze Member

Postby p_elliott » Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 am

upright wrote:Saz is really cool, even the wife likes it. Wish i could get hold of an 18 yo. Saz i mean.

Binny's liquors out of Chicago is doing an exclusive single barrel Saz jr (Saz 6YO) in June. I have an internet friend who lives near Chicago that's going to ship me one maybe two as Binny's doesn't ship to Iowa.
p_elliott

Postby Liechtenstein » Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 am

I saw the P1 rye at several stores in New England. I found the price pretty steep at $40 or so. I would have bought it anyway but the bottle looked too feminine for my taste. «Pretty bottle» some of you have said; I agree, if it were brandy or tequila or some other girl drink...but it is RYE.

Do all of you wear earrings and carry man-purses?

:roll:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed May 27, 2009 9:25 am

We have a round out of a lot of these ryes appearing in the next Whisky Mag issue 80.
Dave and I got our hands on as much as we could...some belters out there.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby O'DubhGhaill » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:54 pm

I didn't see my absolute, everyday favourite, Rittenhouse Rye 100, but if it was there, it would have been my vote. Old Overholt is my runner up. These ryes may not be expensive, which makes them additionally attractive, but they are simply outstanding. The Van Winkle Family Reserve rye is my more expensive favourite, always has been, whenever I can find it that is...
O'DubhGhaill

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder