Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

American Rye Whisk(e)y

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which one of the following Rye Whiskies do you consider best?

Templeton Rye
8%
Jim Beam Rye
5%
Wild Turkey Rye
16%
Old Portero Rye
16%
Sazerac Rye
47%
Old Overholt Rye
8%
Fleischmann's Rye
No votes

Total votes : 38

Re: American Rye Whisk(e)y

Postby talisker10 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 am

"if it were brandy or tequila or some other girl drink...but it is RYE."

Whew I don't know if I call tequila a girl drink. Stuff tastes like gasoline or paint thinner to me. It's good as a base for a fajita marinade, but I would not drink that stuff at all.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:36 pm

talisker10 wrote:"if it were brandy or tequila or some other girl drink...but it is RYE."

Whew I don't know if I call tequila a girl drink. Stuff tastes like gasoline or paint thinner to me. It's good as a base for a fajita marinade, but I would not drink that stuff at all.

Are you thinking of mezcal? Mazcal is a yellowish tequila with a worm in the bottle. The tequila we have in liquor stores here is sweetish and is generally used to make girl drinks.

Of course, real men drink tequila straight.

8)
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby sku » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:44 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:
talisker10 wrote:"if it were brandy or tequila or some other girl drink...but it is RYE."

Are you thinking of mezcal? Mazcal is a yellowish tequila with a worm in the bottle. The tequila we have in liquor stores here is sweetish and is generally used to make girl drinks.

Of course, real men drink tequila straight.

8)

I don't know that I believe in boy or girl drinks, but both Tequila and Mezcal, like most spirits, have low end versions as well as wonderfully drinkable versions.

Mezcal, by the way, is not a type of Tequila, but rather, Tequila is a type of Mezcal. Both are spirits distilled from agave plants, but Tequila is distilled from a distinct species of agave (blue agave) and is associated with the Mexican state of Jalisco. The nicer Mezcals tend to come from the state of Oaxaca.

Mezcal is having a bit of a renaissance right now along the lines of rum and other spirits, and you won't find that worm at the bottom of many of the new bottles being produced, and I challenge you to go into any bar in Mexico and tell the patrons that Mezcal or Tequila is a "girl drink."

More info: http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2007/11/ ... coles.html
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:38 am

sku wrote:Mezcal, by the way, is not a type of Tequila, but rather, Tequila is a type of Mezcal. Both are spirits distilled from agave plants, but Tequila is distilled from a distinct species of agave (blue agave) and is associated with the Mexican state of Jalisco. The nicer Mezcals tend to come from the state of Oaxaca.

OK...thanks! I used to have a friend from Oaxaca. (pronounced Wah-HA-ca)

sku wrote: I challenge you to go into any bar in Mexico and tell the patrons that Mezcal or Tequila is a "girl drink."

«Su tequila es una bebida para nenas y maricones.»

I won't be doing that! I value my life! Tequila is a girl's drink in mixers but - as I've already said - real men drink it straight

:yuk:
No margarita for me!
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:13 am

I really like Rittenhouse BiB 100 proof even though its not on the list
Gov
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder