Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What whisk(e)y do you drink?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which applies to you

Scotch (SM and/or blends)
40%
Irish ( SM and/or blends)
1%
American Whiskey (bourbon/rye or whatever)
4%
Scotch/Irish only
9%
All Three
46%

Total votes : 112

Re: What whisk(e)y do you drink?

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:32 pm

[quote="billinthewild"]

Not being an expert I can only state what I enjoy drinking.

Lucky man! Quote of the week I reckon...

Enjoyment is the name of the game, and if you enjoy something that the "experts" say is rubbish, well that's your right and your wisdom!

Though I'd agree with you on many of your choices. I too loved the Bowmore 18 when offered several free samples at a whisky shop! didn't buy because it was a bit expensive. I bought a Talisker 18 instead that day as I recall. Then I discovered Jim Murray rubbished the Bowmore, and thought "the man has no taste!"

Well, not exactly...I actually think he does a great job! But it's all subjective, and all the forum can do is open up new possibilities for all of us!

so, welcome!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby billinthewild » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:19 am

If "billinthewild" does not suit you, you can refer to me as El Furtivo Viejo. This is my first venture to a forum outside of the hunting community.

There is a large plaque in the Bowmore reception room that says:
"If you can't find a Bowmore to fall in love with, you may have to consider very seriously the possibility that you're wasting your money drinking whisky at all." :)

This evening I enjoyed the Red Breast I bought this weekend. Irish is high on my list and this one will be a repeat purchase. At the wedding reception I attended I inquired of a beautiful young lady if she enjoyed Red Breast. First she slapped me and then asked, "what do you have in mind?" I told her I just wanted to enjoy a titilating conversation. :headbang:
billinthewild

Postby RogerB » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:40 am

Single malts, Irish, and Bourbons are my favorites, though I have a couple Canadian and Tennessee whiskeys in my collection as well.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:02 am

I voted all three as I enjoy all different types. I own more scotch then anything else but lately I have really gotten into bourbons ( ec 12 and 18, GTS, and wild turkey kentucky spirit).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Swedish Chef » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:22 pm

I voted for "Scotch (SM and/or blends)". I very rarely have an Seven Oaks but most of that is being poured into one of the in-laws who prefers that and Jack Daniel's over SMs. Haven't even tried the JD myself. But I will tonight (just to make my vote erroneous :wink: ).
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:20 am

I voted all three, but I'd say it works out to more like:

SM Scotch: 75%
Irish: 10%
Bourbon: 8%
Others: 7%

Give or take. I'm sure it'll change due to weather, sales, specials, availability, palate, company, etc.

:)
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:49 pm

I'd have to say that my moment-to-moment choices roughly echo Bill's above, with the single exception that my American whiskey consumption likely eclipses my imbibing of Irish.

I also happen to like vatted pure malt Scotches a great deal. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm

It is very rare for me to have anything But Scotch of some sort. Single Malt or Vatted or Blend be that as it may. Unless I am someones house and it isn't available.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:52 am

I voted for drinking all of them but it's fair to say that the vast majority is SMSW. I really enjoy "exploring" the whisky world and I've found the educational value for my nose an palate has enhanced my enjoyment of my favourite scotches.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby rtp3 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Was raised on bourbon but have gradually taken to drinking more SM since moving to the UK ...

That said, I still have a soft spot in my heart from good ole' bourbon (or anything that is similar ... like a good Coffey Grain Whisky).

Cheers!
rtp3

Postby bankerjoe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 pm

I am still quite new to whiskey. I voted all of the above, but my limited experience has been mostly scotch, and mostly single malts at that. And I know next to nothing about Irish Whiskey.
bankerjoe

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:25 pm

bankerjoe wrote:I am still quite new to whiskey. I voted all of the above, but my limited experience has been mostly scotch, and mostly single malts at that. And I know next to nothing about Irish Whiskey.

Not a bad way to start. If you wanna try an Irish try Jameson, I had that a couple weeks ago for the first time. It was good. What Whiskies have you tried? You can tell me all kinds and what you liked.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby bankerjoe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Bourbons - Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden's, Woodford Reserve, Bookers. Probably like Maker's Mark the most, at least as a regular or a go to, but Basil Hayden's would be a nice "once in a while."

The only blends I have had are Walker Red and Black. I really don't like Red, and Black is nice.

SMSW - Bowmore Dawn, Darkest, and 12 (Darkest my fav Bowmore); Caol Ila 12 (my fav so far to date); Glenlivet 12 and 15 French Oak (12 is like mother's milk; but I did enjoy the 15), Macallan 12 (my first purchase ever; could do it again), Laphroig 15 (damn close to being my fav).

There might be some others. I know I have had a Japanese one that was good. The short version is I love peat smoke, period. I think I would bath in it if I could.
bankerjoe

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:27 pm

For being new in the Whisky world you sure do have a great recollection of what you have had.
I have not had that many bourbon's but I do like maker's mark.
What I would recommend if you are willing to venture a little is try a Johnnie Walker Green, it is pure malt. It is prob the best on the market and it is pretty reasonably priced.
I agree with you the Macallan 12 is great, it is a staple in my cabinet. I don't like huge amounts of smoke and the peat but if it is minimal I like it. I am not sure what SMS I would recommend to you, maybe Glenfiddich 18.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby TightLines » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

SMS has such a diversity in expressions to enjoy. Small batch bourbons are very good. Redbreast, Jameson's 18 year old Masters Selection and Connemara's 12 year old peated single malt are my fav Irish.
TightLines

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:22 pm

As I am still new to Whisk(e)y I try not to limit myself to any one country in the pursuit of the perfect dram
:P
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder