Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Favourite Compass Box Bottle

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Favourite Compass Box?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:57 am

Asyla
9%
Oak Cross
No votes
Eleuthera
9%
Juveniles
No votes
The Spice Tree
18%
The Peat Monster
9%
Flamig Hearth
9%
Hedonism
36%
Other
9%

Total votes : 11

Favourite Compass Box Bottle

Postby Lugarteniente » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 am

What´s your favourite Compass Box Vatted whisky?
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Re: Favourite Compass Box Bottle

Postby randall fairbrook » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:31 am

flaming heart

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:35 am

I voted Hedonism, I found it the most interesting out of the 3 I tried.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:40 am

oh i thought you meant just the bottle, not the booze therein! :D
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:05 am

At the recent Munich whisky festival I tried the new, yes NEW Peat monster.

I always found the old one to be peaty, but rather one dimensional.
This new one is a 'new recipe' and much more complex with a greater depth of flavours.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Secesh » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:34 pm

ryguy wrote:I voted Hedonism, I found it the most interesting out of the 3 I tried.

:thumbsup:
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby arkle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:51 pm

I voted other, Maximus which I tasted at W/L London. Wonderful full bodied &fruity
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:53 pm

I enjoyed my one (large) dram of Peat Monster...but not enough to forego an Ardbeg 10 when it was a choice between buying one or t'other. I tried a new CBox at WL, and enjoyed it, but I was too many freebies to the wind to remember what it was called!

So let me just say that of all the "light" whiskies i've tried in my whisky life, the bottle of Asyla I was given for Easter is most impressive, up there with the best as far as "aperitif" malts go(though of course this is a malt/grain "blend!"). Lovely nose, full of flavours and a long finish. A worthy alternative to Glenmorangie 10, glenfiddich 15, Dalwhinnie 15 etc...reminds me a little of Penderyn, but lighter. Just as enjoyable.

A real eye-opener which "punches above its weight" as Michael Jackson might have said...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Lugarteniente » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 pm

I have tasted today only The Flaming Hearth 2nd Release, Eleuthera and Juveniles.

Next week I´m going to taste The Spice tree and Hedonism.

I find the Eleuthera better than the Flaming Hearth. The Juveniles is very nice but I prefer the peaty flavours of the others.

Vote!!!
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:38 am

Last year I used the Oak Cross and Eleuthera in a tasting and the Oak Cross was voted best whisky by a majority.
Personally, I preferred the Eleuthera.

Eleuthera, Oak Cross & Peat Monster versions 1 & 2 are the only CBs I have tried.
My preference from these is Eleuthera.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 am

My droaning notes answer it.....Context-75 is an average drink- in other words, enjoyable but not special....

84 V Compass Box Eleuthera (46%, OB, 2006) Mouth: Sweet malt and peat, a bit of pepper, shy, but with character. Mouth: Sweet and first, and then a rush of Coal Ila dry olivey peat. Sweetness again. Finish. Sweet, then dry, and sweet again. Long. A vatting of, and for, many moods. A whisky that that has something to say, and says it with style from beginning to end.
79 V Compass Box Magic Cask Limited Edition (46%, OB, Clynleish & Linkwood, for Canada) August 22, 2007. I am having a hard time describing this one. No one flavor jumps out. I do get a nice hit of maltyness on the palate, and the finish ends with a good deal of spices, and is fairly long for such a smooth, drinkable whisky. A bit of ozone, maritime on the nose, and I get this at times on the mouth. I like this, actually, even if I am having a rough time figuring it out. I will try to save the last half of this sample for another tasting, on another day. Score? High average, maybe just below recommendable. Yet, I do like it.
77 V Compass Box Peat Monster (46%, OB, circa 2006) December 22, 2006. The last night of Hanukah. Had one of my most productive days in mouths; finished an article, wrote a ton on other articles, ect. It felt good to be alive all day. When I got home, got two packages of a total of 12 samples. Ahhh. Got this as a sample from Luis Perlman. My second Compass Box. Wow, what a nose. The peat is rich and sweet. The mouth is like a funky Caol Ila. Not a great description. Caol Ila and a bit of sour something; I wish my palate was more refined. Nose beats mouth, finish is fine.
83 V Compass Box Peat Monster (46%, OB 2007) August 28th, 2007. My mom bought me this bottle while she was here; this and a Bowmore 17 for my 42nd B day. Thanks mom! Not sure this is that much different than last year's, if the sample I had was a bit stale, or if I just like this profile more now. However, the sour taste that I noted the last time is not at all present here. The mouth is a really nice balance between sweet and peaty. Maybe it does not have the greatest body in the world, but it is really tasty. Going out of order, but how is taking notes, the nose is very similar. The finish is medium length, satisfying. Overall, I would say this a medium peaty whisky, about as intense as I want to go for a 90 degree day after an hour and a half bike work out. I dig it though.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby whiskeyme » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm interested to see what folks think about the Compass Box range, also. I've never tried any of them. :oops:
whiskeyme

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:12 pm

I plumped for Asyla because it's the only one i've owned, though I've sampled @ 3/4.

Being a fan of "monsters" - CS Islays, Taliskers, Sherry bombs, oaky old speysiders etc,I find the Asyla outstanding in its class(up to 1300cc in motor racing parlance!)

To me it's better than JW Gold, Macallan FO10, anything by Grouse , standard glenfiddich...as good as Monkey shoulder...possibly the best blend i've tasted asnd as good as many "enjoyable" lighter malts.

I'm repeating myself!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:25 am

I won't vote right now since I've only really had a chance to try Eleuthera & Orangerie. Eleuthera is great. Orangerie is nice but different and I guess not really scotch.

I had samples of 3 or 4 at the Philadelphia Whisky Festival in 2006, but don't remember them too well (although my scribblings indicate that I liked Oak Cross the best).
shoganai
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder