Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How much time do you spend deciding on your next whisky?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How much time do you spend deciding on your next whisky to pour?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:12 am

Up to 1 Minute
20%
1-5 Minutes
43%
5-10 Minutes
6%
More than 10 Minutes
31%

Total votes : 35

How much time do you spend deciding on your next whisky?

Postby Single Malt Kommunist » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:12 am

How much thought time goes into your next dram/bottle opening?

Are you looking for that perfect balance for the evening, considering if its the right time to crack open that 25 yo Brora, or are looking to "conserve or consolidate" your resources?

Are you ever brought back to reality by someone who wonders what the hell you are doing staring at a cabinet of bottles?

Dont be shy, share your darkest issues with the rest of the crackpots!

:D
Single Malt Kommunist
Bronze Member

Re: How much time do you spend deciding on your next whisky?

Postby Single Malt Kommunist » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:16 am

Maybe I should have mentioned the time taken as an approximate average.

Ive been awaken from my deep thoughts a few times after a good 5 mins.

:oops:
Single Malt Kommunist
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:51 am

On average it takes me more than 5 minutes, my wife will sometimes say "Are you seriously trying to figure out what to drink?" All I can do is laugh at myself at that point, not realizing how long I've been staring into my cabinet. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:26 am

Many times I already know what I want before I even reach my cabinet but I've had my moments :roll: ...so on the average, 1 to 5 minutes :sleep:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:11 am

I usually have a good idea what I want when I open the cabinet (not too tough with only about 40 bottles) but sometimes I still stare at the contents just to make sure that what I thought I want is really what I do want. Usually just 2-3 minutes is fine.

Now - deciding what whisky to buy next, well, that's a different story. I sometimes go weeks deciding what to get, sometimes I just walk into a shop and say, "Hey, I want this!"

You guys with 300, 400, 500 bottles or more - I don't know how you ever pick a bottle to open - my head would explode with that many choices!!

UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby orangedogofglory » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:20 am

UUNetBill wrote:Now - deciding what whisky to buy next, well, that's a different story. I sometimes go weeks deciding what to get, sometimes I just walk into a shop and say, "Hey, I want this!"

This is the problem I have. I know what I focus on, and I know what I've had before that I want to buy again.

The problem for me is that I often will find a good or great bottle at a significant discount, or a great bottle that I've wanted to get or is in short supply. Then I have to consider the budget, and that is what gets tough.

Do I buy a whole bunch of Ardbeg 10 on sale for $45 to $50, or stick with my plan of getting the Balvenie 21 I set out to get? Those decisions take a little longer out of the sheer peskiness of the situation - either way is a good solution!
:headbang: :dead:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

I spend a few mins deciding on my next dram, days on which to open next and days to weeks on what to buy.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:28 pm

1.Wake up
2.Take a piss
3.Shower/Shave
4.Brush teeth
5.Get dressed
6.Plan next purchase
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:05 pm

I can't see myself thinking about what I want to have next for more than 30secs ...... I have a choice of 50 open at the mo and never have an issue picking one.

I usually however have my first one of the night picked out well in advance so I suppose I have being mulling over the decision for a while but after that they come fairly naturally :D :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm

I usually will expect something that will be released and get excited and ready for it. If I happen to find something in a shop, rarely, if ever, have I just picked it up and bought it, usually I'll pace back and fourth and decide from a few different ones.
Di Blasi

Postby Gov » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:02 pm

I only keep about 10 bottles open so within a minute or two my mind is made up.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 pm

Di Blasi wrote:usually I'll pace back and fourth and decide from a few different ones.

I find that pacing while carrying the bottle in question will often determine whether or not you really want it.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:15 pm

orangedogofglory wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:usually I'll pace back and fourth and decide from a few different ones.

I find that pacing while carrying the bottle in question will often determine whether or not you really want it.

Yes indeed it does, especially when comparing it against other options.
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:46 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I can't see myself thinking about what I want to have next for more than 30secs ...... I have a choice of 50 open at the mo and never have an issue picking one.

I usually however have my first one of the night picked out well in advance so I suppose I have being mulling over the decision for a while but after that they come fairly naturally :D :thumbsup:

It's the first one that I have trouble with. Where to start? After that it comes naturally. I guess the first one is a bit of an outlier that pulls the mean into the 1-5mins category.
Willie JJ

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:28 am

Lessee now...

I have a fair number opened and have preselected 10 (based on quantity left in bottle) that are to be sampled first before anything else can be tried. I take about 5-10 minutes deciding what to try after the initial dram.

If we're talking about buying a new one, generally less than a second is spent considering the pros and cons, weighing the impact of a new purchase on the home life and if the budget can absorb it. It's there, I want it, I buy it.

I'm a prisoner of my own spontaneity.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 am

Maybe I misunderstood? I figured what was being asked was how long we spent prior to purchasing, but when it comes to drinking, usually a bit less time. I usually get something popped into my mind when I think it's time to enjoy a whisky, and mood usually brings that on. So it can be instant, though I may toss it around in my head for a bit prior to actually pouring myself one.
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:50 pm

I spend less than a minute deciding what my first five will be. :D It may take 5 to 10 minutes to dig 'em out though.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby UUNetBill » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Ganga wrote:I spend less than a minute deciding what my first five will be. :D It may take 5 to 10 minutes to dig 'em out though.

Damn, Ganga - I know it might be a bit of a commute from CA to CO, but how much would you charge me to rent out a cot next to your liquor cabinet?!?

UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Now purchasing is a totally different ball games ..... could be days even weeks on deciding my next purchase :lol:

And the last time I purchased in a shop it took me just under 3 hours and I left a bit tipsy :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:40 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Now purchasing is a totally different ball games ..... could be days even weeks on deciding my next purchase :lol:

And the last time I purchased in a shop it took me just under 3 hours and I left a bit tipsy :lol:

Sounds like you need to set up the next poll. Oh well, I guess I can start that one.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:41 pm

UUNetBill wrote:
Ganga wrote:I spend less than a minute deciding what my first five will be. :D It may take 5 to 10 minutes to dig 'em out though.

Damn, Ganga - I know it might be a bit of a commute from CA to CO, but how much would you charge me to rent out a cot next to your liquor cabinet?!?

I'm certain I can find a better place for you to sleep. We'll just setup a table next to the bottles with a couple of chairs. :iwbrnt:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby sievm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:27 pm

I'll spend a minute or two assessing what whisky will go best with my current state of mind - taste wise - and then plump for a bottle.

I tend to stick with one for the night as it gives me the chance to focus on the different flavours and tastes over the evening.
sievm
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:57 pm

I'll bet it does Ganga, with your collection of drinking goodies! But I wonder do you get distracted or swayed away from what you had in mind when you come across the others??
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:11 pm

I like to refer to it as inspired. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby TheTross » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:04 am

Less than a minute for me usually, as if I'm in the mood for a whisky then I already have a good idea of which one I want.

I've agonised for months at a time over opening the rarer closed bottles though: a Laga 25 I have has nearly been opened a couple of times but I never quite got there.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:54 pm

sievm wrote:I'll spend a minute or two assessing what whisky will go best with my current state of mind - taste wise

Luckily they don't have one called 'Crazy Horse Firewater' for my state of mind yet .....

:lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 am

What a great queston! I agonize over purchases of pricy SMS as I dont want to acquire a bottle of something i dont like. I only drink scotch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, so I generally spend Monday through Friday thinking about what i will have Friday night.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:44 am

It varies. I spend a lot of time doing research on what I drink beforehand. If I hear a certain SMS or less often a blend, highly recommended by certain individuals here, I will research the brand and then perhaps buy a bottle.

Usually, especially as of late, I try to follow what other members of the forum, whom I hold in the highest esteem (ganga, reggae, bruichladdict (sp?), Sherried Malt, M-T & Muskrat, to name a few) are drinking, and then buy what they recommend.

Not so much M-T because he owns his own bar and I think he likes 100 year old Port Ellens. lol sorry but I cant afford that. I have crazy pens and watches to buy.

However, there are some brands that I go back to because of the price/value factor. Talisker 10 and Aberlour 12/& A'Bunadh I really enjoy.

I think I'd like to try a Glenkinchie next, but I don't have my hopes up. Not the highest reviews I've seen.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:15 am

Elagabalus wrote:It varies. I spend a lot of time doing research on what I drink beforehand. If I hear a certain SMS or less often a blend, highly recommended by certain individuals here, I will research the brand and then perhaps buy a bottle.

Usually, especially as of late, I try to follow what other members of the forum, whom I hold in the highest esteem (ganga, reggae, bruichladdict (sp?), Sherried Malt, M-T & Muskrat, to name a few) are drinking, and then buy what they recommend.

Not so much M-T because he owns his own bar and I think he likes 100 year old Port Ellens. lol sorry but I cant afford that. I have crazy pens and watches to buy.

However, there are some brands that I go back to because of the price/value factor. Talisker 10 and Aberlour 12/& A'Bunadh I really enjoy.

I think I'd like to try a Glenkinchie next, but I don't have my hopes up. Not the highest reviews I've seen.

Hi Ela......,
thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can't afford too many of the really rarer ones, although thanks to some excellent tastings held by a certain whisky club in my bar, I do sometimes get a couple of excellent samples to try.

As for more 'normal' drams, last night I enjoyed a Balvenie 15y SB and really enjoyed it. In fact I'd almost forgotten how good it is.
Glenkinchie is one I have tried a few times, but never personally liked too much. My lowland preference is for Bladnoch and there have been some excellent G&M offerings at inexpensive prices.
If you like something smoother and slightly richer, then I can recommend Glen Garioch, if you can find it where you are. At least here in Europe it is accessible and not expensive.

Have fun and enjoy,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi E,

i would second MT's endorsement of Bladnoch as my Lowland favorite. Only ever owned the Flora and Fauna Ten, but outstanding it was - best Lowlander I ever owned, and the only Bladnochs I sampled were excellent. Glenkinchie good, but not outstanding. Auchentoshan more distinctive, and both fine as "easy drinkers" .Rosebank has a great repututation, and I liked what I've sampled...but overall, none a match for Bladnoch IMO.

Re: time...if at home it can be immediate...or take forever! I like my wife to choose for me...and have me try and name it! (I'm usually right, down to one or two. She LOVES it when I'm wrong!)

Re: shopping - I need to know beforehand what I want(e.g. 2 weeks ago - Lagavulin 12) so that I can walk into the whisky shop with blinkers on...otherwise I can easily fritter away a good hour checking out this and that, chatting up the staff to gimme another sample etc. Even if I do have an idea of what I want before i enter, I often get sidetracked...sometimes there's a cask of something fine winking at you, begging to be sampled, or they just got in the new release from Macbeg or whatever.

Life is so hard...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder