Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Time Involved in Selecting Whisky Purchase

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How long do invest in making the selection of your next whisky purchase?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Less than 10 minutes
10%
10 to 30 minutes
17%
30 to 60 minutes
3%
More than an hour
20%
I plan way ahead weeks or more
50%

Total votes : 30

Time Involved in Selecting Whisky Purchase

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Well Laddies and Ladies, how much time do you spend selecting out your next purchase? Are you someone that plans ahead for that little shopping spree or do you just walk into the local to grab what catches your fancy?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Time Involved in Selecting Whisky Purchase

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:48 pm

For me, I can fit all of these categories. Sometimes I just drop into a little store and five minutes later I have that impulsive little bottle in the car. Other times, it feels like I've been sucked into a time bubble (where'd the day go?). Others are long-term projects.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 pm

I try and plan way ahead, as far as I can anyway. Unfortunately funds are not unlimited for me (and money doesn't grow on trees in Maine....although sometimes the Mrs. thinks so, but that's a different story). So for some bottles I actually have to save money ahead of time, so that I can buy them.

Then there is always that bottle I see in a store that I buy on impulse. It really depends on the value of the bottle, but for the most part I plan ahead.

edit: after thought....Thank God I don't have a 'whisky' credit card... :o
Last edited by Ryguy on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bob O. » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:02 pm

While at times I plan in advance, I am also guilty of the impulse buy. Many times I go in thinking I am going to pick up one thing only to leave with something totally different. So many choices out there...
Bob O.
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:08 pm

I've been known to fit all those categories too, although generally speaking I end up getting 'encouraged' to leave whisky shops by friends when they get bored of watching me stare at countless bottles - they just don't understand these things. And if I get talking to a staff member then it can be even longer, although an average time of around 30 minutes sounds about right before walking to the counter with bottle(s) in tow. If I went to a shop on me own then I'd happily spend half the day in there, but non-whisky friends seem to be unable to handle that...
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm

I read on a website a few months back that when it comes to whisky, you need to have goals in mind as far as what you are looking to achieve through purchases. I keep that advice in mind, and try to plan out well in advance what I want to buy. However, often, as others have said, you find that one bottle that you didn't plan for, or that is on sale at a price that makes you think of the :iwbrnt: image. Those I generally pace on for a while and then decide.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:12 pm

TheTross wrote:I've been known to fit all those categories too, although generally speaking I end up getting 'encouraged' to leave whisky shops by friends when they get bored of watching me stare at countless bottles - they just don't understand these things. And if I get talking to a staff member then it can be even longer, although an average time of around 30 minutes sounds about right before walking to the counter with bottle(s) in tow. If I went to a shop on me own then I'd happily spend half the day in there, but non-whisky friends seem to be unable to handle that...

You're 100% right there, the non-whisky friends just don't get it. And to be truthful it's really hard to explain it to the guy who walks into the supermarket and comes out with a case of beer less than 5 minutes later.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby sievm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I tend to save up and buy a few bottles at a time so I spend a few hours looking for what I want - I normally buy from LFW if I can.

I try and look for a mixture of distilleries I've not tried and those that I have tried before - but different bottlings if possible.

And there is no point rushing the choice - it will affect my drinking for a few months ahead.
sievm
Bronze Member

Postby UUNetBill » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:04 am

I hate to admit it, but there are numerous times when I spend 30 minutes or more in the whisky aisle and don't buy a damn thing. "Just looking," I say. Some shops, the employees are knowledgable and it's fun to just chat with them; other times you get the guy who doesn't know the difference between Scotch and Bourbon. :shock:

I also plan some purchases weeks ahead of time, and others are impulse buys. I've wanted to pick up a Laphroaig QC for about 2 months now, but I'll either get something else or nothing at all. Don't know why, either - not an expensive bottle or anything.

And then I get to the shops with a good selection of IBs that I really don't know anything about, and at often upwards of $150-200 a bottle, I need to check into those a little more before I break out the Visa.

Either way - it's all good. :thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby mikeymad » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:04 am

I ponder all my options (so a larger whisky store takes longer than others). Then I think about my CC bill, then I make phone calls to see if I have a good deal. Then I purchase two more bottles to save myself some gas for another trip.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 am

mikeymad wrote:then I make phone calls to see if I have a good deal. Then I purchase two more bottles to save myself some gas for another trip.

Ha ha - I don't know how many times I've just been standing in the single malt aisle with my pda out surfing online shops/the forum to find out how the price in front of me compares to what I thought I read earlier in the day. Technology saves a bad memory. And then, since I've already got the phone out and I'm getting weird looks from the staff :roll: , I generally take a couple extra minutes to browse other bottles, ending up with at least 3. Three seems to be a magic number.

:empty: :empty: :empty:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:26 am

I have been known in the past to save up and order 5-10 bottles once I've got the sum tucked away. As they dribbled in I would then pick them up and tuck them into the lair. This can entail several weeks of saving and picking up of prized items.

Lately, I've been doing the impulse thing where in less than a second I've seen, considered and scooped up the bottle before the next person sees it.

Luckily Mrs Musky doesn't seem to mind either method, provided I'm not too foolish with my impulses.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:08 pm

orangedogofglory wrote:
mikeymad wrote:then I make phone calls to see if I have a good deal. Then I purchase two more bottles to save myself some gas for another trip.

Ha ha - I don't know how many times I've just been standing in the single malt aisle with my pda out surfing online shops/the forum to find out how the price in front of me compares to what I thought I read earlier in the day. Technology saves a bad memory. And then, since I've already got the phone out and I'm getting weird looks from the staff :roll: , I generally take a couple extra minutes to browse other bottles, ending up with at least 3. Three seems to be a magic number.

:empty: :empty: :empty:

And I thought I was the only one - I have found some good deals thanks to my BlackBerry and the mobile web!! I know exactly how you feel, standing in front of the whisky tapping away. . .you do get some looks, don't you? Who cares, though - it's why we have electronics, isn't it?

Thank you, oh gods of technology!!

:thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Postby Newbie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:31 pm

If its £100 then I'd sleep on it. If its £50 then a few minutes. If its £30 or less then 10 seconds :wink:
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:48 pm

I tend to plan ahead as the majority of my purchases are over the internet so I take my time. As I live in a fairly rural location even buying from a shop is a big day out for me :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vengey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:34 am

I tend to impulse buy. Unless it's a whisky I'm really unsure about, I spend less than 10 mins choosing and will usually grab 5 or so at a time.
vengey

Postby Wave » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:37 am

Most of my whisky purchases are done on-line so I might take several weeks to decide when (and where) to buy though some like Port Ellen Annual Releases and such I'll buy at the drop of a hat since many times if you snooze, you lose!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:24 am

orangedogofglory wrote:I read on a website a few months back that when it comes to whisky, you need to have goals in mind as far as what you are looking to achieve through purchases. I keep that advice in mind, and try to plan out well in advance what I want to buy. However, often, as others have said, you find that one bottle that you didn't plan for, or that is on sale at a price that makes you think of the :iwbrnt: image. Those I generally pace on for a while and then decide.

I totally agree with this philosophy for most of my moderate to big purchases. For example, I've been looking to potentially buy a 1975 Benriach single cask bottle that i had a chance to taste earlier this year. However, I finally decided against it. The nose was phenomenal, but the taste didn't do too much for me. I spent a lot of time reading up about it, justifying the cost (which was expensive) and in the end, decided that I would be more happy putting my money somewhere else.

UUNetBill wrote:And then I get to the shops with a good selection of IBs that I really don't know anything about, and at often upwards of $150-200 a bottle, I need to check into those a little more before I break out the Visa.

Ya, IBs are tough. I've been pretty happy with most that i've bought, but now it's pretty rare that I buy one without some kind of prior knowledge (and best case a tasting). Just too many average ones that are expensive when there are so many good OBs available. However, there are some phenomenal IBs around and it's fun to hunt them down. Currently I have half a dozen bottles making their way back from Europe to Canada over the next several months and it was really fun to find them, and then figure out how to get them back here (yes, my friends are PATIENT with my requests for help!).

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I tend to plan ahead as the majority of my purchases are over the internet so I take my time. As I live in a fairly rural location even buying from a shop is a big day out for me :lol:

Well, I live in a pretty big city (Vancouver), but as far as purchasing Whisky goes, British Columbia might as well be in the middle of the Gobi desert :P

Hence, pretty much all are purchased on line and then muled back into BC bit by bit!

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby moyboy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:11 am

I usually spent many weeks researching my next purchase, as i bulk buy over the net from UK.

The only impulse buy has been a 25y.o. Port Ellen rare malt at a local bottle shop. I walked past at a quick pace and when i saw it i almost fell over trying to get back to it. :oops:

It was a rare find indeed. Especially sitting on a self in the local shop.

Edit: My very first single malt whisky was an impulse buy as well. It was 12y.o. Glenfiddich, & i got it for a friend but they didn't like it so i took it home and i'm glad i did. I'm not sure the girlfriend is that happy though. :D
Last edited by moyboy on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
moyboy

Postby hilliamash » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:13 am

I must admit that I am usually quite impulsive. Things often work well for me that way, though!
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:13 am

It's funny the way that works, isn't it? I think a lot of us got interested in whisky that way. . .in fact, might be a good thread. . .

:)
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder