Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Would you pay ~£155 for a nip of Black Bowmore?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Would you pay ~ £155 for a nip of Black Bowmore 1964

Poll ended at Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:43 pm

Yes, definitely to try a Black Bowmore
6%
Maybe
8%
No Way, can't afford that !
86%

Total votes : 64

Re: Would you pay ~£155 for a nip of Black Bowmore?

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:50 am

The poll answers are a bit leading, so I won't be voting. The suggestion that the only reason not to buy a nip of Bowmore Black because one can't afford it is a bit condescending.
A straight yes maybe or no choice of would suffice.
Deactivated Member

Postby objetti » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 pm

In Sweden it would cost approx £29 per cl to get Black Bowmore if you got to buy it as a shared cost to a whisky club for example
Since a common markup in (swedish) bars seems to be around 400% I think £155 is a very fair price if we talk about a dram of 4cl at a bar (In Sweden such a dram would thus cost closer to £400 at a bar - if a nip means 2cl 155£ would still be better than what I would expect at a bar here).
If I could afford it I would have then tried it at your bar but currently it is far out of my reach for a single dram
Last edited by objetti on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
objetti
Bronze Member

Postby Whiskibar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:15 pm

I was just trying to make the poll light hearted as I know £155 is alot of money. When you vote, I don't get to see who voted what so it is annonymous and I am not keeping a poll of who said NO, YES, MAYBE.

I don't think I can change the poll now or I would take the 'Can't afford it' off as I do understand many people just wouldn't want to try it in the first place and I don't mean any offence, I am just trying to guage general opinion to the Black Bowmore and if it is viable to invest in it for a bar environment and this is the best way that people can respond annonymously.
Whiskibar

Postby Newbie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
Newbie wrote:£155 would be much better spent on other things such as a decent meal!

Remind me never to go to the chip shop with you. :)

Not even if I was buying Willie? :wink:

Last time my mate when to get fish&chips it cost him £6 from the local chippy! Its very very nice but I remember when I could get a cod, fish, curry and a drink for £3!
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Newbie wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:
Newbie wrote:£155 would be much better spent on other things such as a decent meal!

Last time my mate when to get fish&chips it cost him £6 from the local chippy! Its very very nice but I remember when I could get a cod, fish, curry and a drink for £3!

So for a nip of Black Bowmore you could buy the whole shop!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Newbie wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:

I remember when you could get a portion of chips for 9d and a scoop of crackling thrown in for nothing. :o Those were the days.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Crieftan wrote:The poll answers are a bit leading, so I won't be voting. The suggestion that the only reason not to buy a nip of Bowmore Black because one can't afford it is a bit condescending.

Deleted .......

Sorry read you comment the wrong way.... :oops:

but I don't this Whiskybar meant any offence :thumbsup:
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Whiskibar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Crieftan wrote:The poll answers are a bit leading, so I won't be voting. The suggestion that the only reason not to buy a nip of Bowmore Black because one can't afford it is a bit condescending.

I was just trying to make the poll light hearted as I know £155 is alot of money. When you vote, I don't get to see who voted what so it is annonymous and I am not keeping a track of who said NO, YES, MAYBE.

I don't think I can change the poll now or I would take the 'Can't afford it' off as I do understand many people just wouldn't want to try it in the first place and I don't mean any offence, I am just trying to guage general opinion to the Black Bowmore and if it is viable to invest in it for a bar environment and this is the best way that people can respond annonymously.
Whiskibar

Postby objetti » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:30 pm

If I got into some money I would probably be more tempted to a package deal (and it would be easier to coax my partner into it)
I really think a good whiskybar should offer Black Bowmore

THE BLACK BOWMORE EXPERIENCE

Welcome dram:
Bowmore Legend (the simplest form of Bowmore)

Bowmorecured Scottish salmon "Gravlax"* with thin slices of homemade rye bread, a "Gravlax"-sauce (dill, mustard-powder, honey, vinegar and some additional Bowmore) and Rocket salad
Drink: A good scottish Ale

Scottish Black Angus Tournedos with roasted fresh potatoes, greens and a Bowmore sauce
Drink:
Hermitage Cave de Tain 1998

"Scottish" homemade Tiramisu (exchange the cognac for Bowmore darkest or Dawn + some Kahlua)
Drink:
Some Marsala (the same as the one used in the Tiramisu)

Some strong coffee (to neutralise the palate)

Nip of Black Bowmore (Cigar very optional)

199£ per cover (including drinks as above)

Fresh "middlecut" salmon
Rosepepper
Whitepepper
Salt
Sugar
Bowmore 12 yr

First freeze the fresh salmon then cure the above for 48 hours - flip package morning and evening.
objetti
Bronze Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:31 pm

objetti wrote:If I got into some money I would probably be more tempted to a package deal (and it would be easier to coax my partner into it)
I really think a good whiskybar should offer Black Bowmore

THE BLACK BOWMORE EXPERIENCE

this would certainly make the price tag more palatable, especially to the wife. and, it would be a complete experience all around.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby RogerB » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:43 pm

I'd rather spend that money on several excellent bottles, than one dram of anything.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:31 am

Whiskibar wrote:

I was just trying to make the poll light hearted as I know £155 is alot of money. When you vote, I don't get to see who voted what so it is annonymous and I am not keeping a track of who said NO, YES, MAYBE.

Got the first message:D
OK think about it. A bar in the centre of Edinburgh, close to parliament, the Supreme Courts and St Giles and the local authority HQ. A stones throw from St Andrews House and numerous publishing houses.
Yeah - I would think well marketed you could charge £155 for a nip of Ledaig Sherry Finish let alone Bowmore Black

:thumbsup:
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:47 am

Crieftan wrote:Yeah - I would think well marketed you could charge £155 for a nip of Ledaig Sherry Finish let alone Bowmore Black

LOL!

You're right though. Particularly with the suggestion that the kind of person likely to through money at this would probably not be a expert.

Of course on top of the lawyers, lobbyists with expense accounts and publishers, Edinburgh has the UK's second largest financial services sector after the City of London. There is no shortage of folk with money in Edinburgh. I'm not sure the publishers think they are so well paid though.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:58 am

Willie JJ wrote: I'm not sure the publishers think they are so well paid though.

Expense accounts m'dear boy. Expense accounts.
:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:15 am

No way!, i have my eye on a few bottles i intend to buy over the next month which will total a bit over £155.00, but i would never dream of spending this amount on a dram.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:58 pm

I think £155 a dram is a price that would be fair for the product, but one whish would serve mostly as a marketing device for a bar. People like to look for the most expensive dram, but don't feel the urge to buy it.

The most I have paid for a single dram was somewhere around £15. But I have spent more than that on an evening's whisky entertainment. For example, I paid £85 if memory serves me well for a dram of each of the Macallan Speymalt box set. The bulk of that price would have been for the 65yo. So perhaps you'd interest people into actually paying for the BB if you rolled it up as the star attraction in a bigger tasting; do it in 2cl measures; and lay on some food.

Just a thought.
Deactivated Member

Postby japandave » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 am

NEVER! but I did buy a full bottle and drank it in the mountains of Japan about 4 years ago with my father and brother and it went down like a dream
japandave

Postby Ras Mazunga » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Never say never. :angel:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:02 pm

If I was very rich I would. In fact if I was rich enough I'd happily spend hundreds of pounds per bottle of Scotch becaue I love the stuff !! Might even have a bottle of 62yo Dalmore on the go ! To me it is about what you can responsibly afford.

A friend of mine's father in law opened a bottle of 1920's Macallan. My verdict: ******* idiot. He's not a millionaire, does not know his whisky and quibbles over finances with relatives.

The sad truth is at 37, I still have to justify buying a £40 bottle of whisky or rum :(
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

bamber wrote:The sad truth is at 37, I still have to justify buying a £40 bottle of whisky or rum :(

You know, Bamber: I don't think you're the only one. It's easy to be distracted by the conspicuous consumption of some members here (often ones who seem not to have a great deal of experience, I observe, and who often depart the forums after they have got tired of discussing 30yo OBs) but many of us have much more straitened budgets. Many of us have discovered, though, that you don't need to spend £200+ a bottle to be drinking exceptional whiskies - in fact, under £50 a bottle will still turn up some absolute gems.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
bamber wrote:The sad truth is at 37, I still have to justify buying a £40 bottle of whisky or rum :(

........ Many of us have discovered, though, that you don't need to spend £200+ a bottle to be drinking exceptional whiskies - in fact, under £50 a bottle will still turn up some absolute gems.

Wise words Nick! I agree - and add to that I actually prefer whisky which isn't so old. I think old whiskies heavily affected by the wood often lose out on something "fresh". The distillery character also suffers from this imo. Whisky doesn't need to be expensive to be good and I'm often left wanting after having tasted something hideously expensive.
Mr Fjeld

Postby orangedogofglory » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:33 pm

tomorrow on the Malt Advocate blog John will be posting notes on the newest in the "hideously expensive" Bowmore line - White Bowmore. I'm looking forward to seeing what the impression is of the new $6000 whisky.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:41 pm

Nick Brown wrote:....Many of us have discovered, though, that you don't need to spend £200+ a bottle to be drinking exceptional whiskies - in fact, under £50 a bottle will still turn up some absolute gems.

Well I certainly agree Nick and there is a certain pleasure in being one of the 200 or so people who picked up the 15yo SMWS or Cadenhead's bottling that outclassed many a 30yo OB.

Have to admit though, there are a few things I've missed out on that I sorely wanted - a Brora 30yo OB, some of those old SMWS Glenfarclas bottlings, a bottle of Lagavulin 21yo to myself rather than split 4 ways. Talisker 20yo and 25yo OB's anyone ? :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Of course you've missed out on some of the expensive whiskies - and many expensive whiskies are very excellent. But as you say, you've had some stuff that the wealthier members miss out on. And I can well imagine the likes of Musky and Co looking with envy at the selection that's available to us in the UK. As Tattie says, you can't possibly catch every single whisky so appreciate the ones you can get.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:24 am

Last night I celebrated the humble Black BOTTLE!!!! For which I would gladly pay ~£1.55 for a nip...but I got a whole bottle for 10 quid! Not only is it a warm and friendly DIFFERENT blend, given its origin, when in the mood for nothing too "deep", but it is a fabulous whisky with which to experiment with adding others to it.

I fancied a Laphroaig QC - then having poured it, decided I wasn't in the mood for something so in yer face. So I added about 50% Black bottle, and bingo! I had a "party on my palate!"

I remember thinking, "what would people make of this if tasted blind?" It was so delicious! You could get away with murder convincing people this was something REEELLY exclusive and special!

Coincidentally, I;m drinking a bowmore Dawn right now. Very good. Still the best bowmore i ever had was an IB Christmas Present from my father in law. I don't doubt the Black is excellent, but my pocket says: "let it remain the stuff of legend."

If I did have a spare £155 I MIGHT be tempted by a bottle of Lag 21...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby cathach » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Ditto to that ReggaeBlues, and for what my own 2 cent is worth I won't buy a bottle over 18yo it's too much money and too much wood, I like whiskey not oak juice! Nothing is worth £155 for 35.5ml IMHO
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Whiskibar » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks everyone for taking part in the poll and all the comments. Seems that it maybe in the gantry for a few years so am going to ponder the results. It won't be available for much longer and I have to say "yes/no" very soon as the Black Bowmore is really rare and can't buy it easily.
Whiskibar

Postby Caledonia » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:46 pm

WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY £155 a NIP!
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Tet » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 am

Sure, of course I would. For most of us, £155 is just 1-4 days' salary. If you are not willing to "work for a few days" to get a sip of a legendary whisky, then you shouldn't even be on this forum! I have never tasted it myself, but the taste of Bowmore Darkest suggests that BB really was a truly remarkable malt. By the way, does anyone know if a bottle of it is still available anywhere? I would happily "work for a month or two" for it.
Cheers,
T.
Tet

Postby Caledonia » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am

Tet wrote:Sure, of course I would. For most of us, £155 is just 1-4 days' salary. If you are not willing to "work for a few days" to get a sip of a legendary whisky, then you shouldn't even be on this forum!
T.

What gives you the right to say i dont deserve to be here.

Im a student of course i cant afford that , just because we arent all born with silver spoons in our mouth's doesnt mean i cant enjoy what i can afford and get my hands on.

Oh and the BB is legendary for the profit the bottles have made more than taste i think.

I work in the industry , as a student job and it would take me about 1 week to get enough for that in the summer not in term time, that is half my rent for a month ... thats why im shocked people would spend that on a 25ml measure of it.

Let alone the bottles you could buy that no doubt would be far better anyway.

Its people that pay £155 a nip are the ones that pushed the price of black bowmore from £70 quid originally upto £2000.- oh and coincidentally i know bars make profit etc, but Half the profit you'd make at £155 a nip and you might get more yes's. How does £80 sound a nip. assuming your the 25ml license.
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:58 am

£8 a nip is more than enough to pay for anything...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskibar » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 am

Whiskibar wrote:Thinking of this for the bar, what do you think ?

After much thought and despite the fact that most people would never buy it - we just couldn't resist and let the opportunity pass us by so the Black Bowmore, Release 1 will be heading into the WHISKI bar.
Whiskibar

Postby hook55 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:39 am

£155 can buy a lot of very good whisky, so I would never pay that much for a nip! :shock:
hook55
Silver Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Whiskibar wrote:After much thought and despite the fact that most people would never buy it - we just couldn't resist and let the opportunity pass us by so the Black Bowmore, Release 1 will be heading into the WHISKI bar.

Good for you. If you're running a whisky bar you might as well have some fun with it :thumbsup:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:26 pm

Wow good for you guys.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder