Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is Royal Mile Whisky The Most Unfriendly Shop?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Your experince at RMW

Friendly
64%
Unfriendly
11%
Indifferent
26%

Total votes : 66

Is Royal Mile Whisky The Most Unfriendly Shop?

Postby Lawrence » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:38 am

Is Royal Mile Whisky The Most Unfriendly Whisky Shop in the Business?

From my recent experience it is. Surly staff, unwilling to help; many of the tins on display were empty so you could not examine the bottles for color etcetera. When I asked to see the bottle of Bruichladdich 1998 they said 'it's down stairs' and they wouldn't bring it up and I really wanted to buy one.

I was a little surprised by their attitude so I came back the next day but their behaviour was much the same; towards others customers also. It became our pet for the week to pop in to see how rude there were.

I never did buy anything from them but did else where in Edinburgh.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Is Royal Mile Whisky The Most Unfriendly Shop?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:47 am

Lawrence,
If they were that unfriendly, I would certainly recommend contacting them and giving them your comments at:
contact@royalmilewhiskies.com

I have found you to be a very polite and considerate individual on the forums and in my contacts with you. Too bad you didn't get some names to pass on in any email with your complaints.

Respecting you as I do, I would certainly not give any business to RMW now or in the future.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby laddie teun » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:29 am

can't say i've had a lot of dealings with RMW, but the few i've had we're very good. Kind, friendly helpfull and knowladgebale staf.
laddie teun
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:41 am

In my only visit to a RMW branch - the one in Edinburgh - the lads behind the counter seemed to be friendly and chatty enough, doling out samples of something or other to enquiring customers and always smiling. I also had a brief talk with them and asked them about a certain bottle I was after, as I couldn't see it in the shop anywhere. Their answer? Something along the lines of that they must've sold out, but their tone was apologetic and not short at all. As it transpires, there was one right above their heads on a shelf high up behind the counter that I spotted and duly pointed out to them! They seemed surprised there was one up there and, for some reason, more surprised that I bought it!

I'll add though that the shop was much, much smaller than I thought it'd be and was quite cramped due to several display units being dotted about rather haphazardly in the middle of the room. So in short, from my very limited experience, the actual service is good but the shop itself is disappointing and would be a bit of a nightmare to look around on a busy day.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:02 am

I've dealt with the London one on the phone and in person and they are very nice and knowledgeable. Some of their bourbon is priced a little optimistically but not as high as other places out there and their rum selection is brilliant.

I've been to the Edinburgh one once but don't really remember it. Sounds like the kid who would not bring the bottle up needs a foot in his a**e.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby DanAir » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:19 pm

I've only had good experiences at the London branch. Friendly, knowledgable staff.
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Lawrence, I would if I was you assume that the git(s) in question were "having a bad day" as we all do sometimes, and move on...but not before doing as Musky suggests and sending them a polite email of complaint!

After all, bad day or not, we are each responsible for our moods and actions and how we affect others, and such behaviour, hopefully and probably NOT the norm, is still unprofessional, not to mention discourteous.

Never been there, so can't comment. but others on this thread seem to reflect what I've come to expect from whisky shops. in general, helpful, courteous, and not averse to doling out the samples...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:50 pm

You might think RMW's location on the Royal Mile is a good thing, but it's a double-edged sword--the place is always full of casual tourists, and I would think the staff's attitude reflects that, unfortunately. They probably spend all day answering questions like "What's the oldest/best/most expensive whisky you have?" "I'm looking for this great whisky I had once--it begins with R..." etc. Not that it excuses what Lawrence describes...but I never buy anything there. I don't even go in to browse any more. ("Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded"--Yogi Berra) Far better to roll on down the hill to the Cadenhead shop.
Deactivated Member

Postby slojo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Have always had good experiences in London. Friendly and knowledgable staff who will always make a time for a chat.
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby DanAir » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:42 pm

slojo wrote:Have always had good experiences in London. Friendly and knowledgable staff who will always make a time for a chat.

That sounds familiar... wait, hold on...

DanAir wrote:I've only had good experiences at the London branch. Friendly, knowledgable staff.

:thumbsup:
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:05 am

DanAir wrote:
slojo wrote:Have always had good experiences in London. Friendly and knowledgable staff who will always make a time for a chat.

That sounds familiar... wait, hold on...

DanAir wrote:I've only had good experiences at the London branch. Friendly, knowledgable staff.

:thumbsup:

Well that's good news, especially since I was talking about the Edinburgh shop....... :roll:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:08 am

Sounds like The Tross has had a positive experience in Edinburgh. No one else?
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby DanAir » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Lawrence wrote:Well that's good news, especially since I was talking about the Edinburgh shop....... :roll:

No need to roll your eyes, I thought it was a valid comment since they're under the same management.
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 pm

DanAir wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Well that's good news, especially since I was talking about the Edinburgh shop....... :roll:

No need to roll your eyes, I thought it was a valid comment since they're under the same management.

Fair comment...but the poll is about the Edinburgh shop, and votes should be restricted to that.
Deactivated Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:47 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Sounds like The Tross has had a positive experience in Edinburgh. No one else?
Musky

I was at the Edinburgh shop back in 2005 and the folks there were very friendly and accomodating, even though the shop was pretty crowded right then. I'd gladly give them my business again. Too bad it's a little out of my way... :P
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
DanAir wrote:

Fair comment...but the poll is about the Edinburgh shop, and votes should be restricted to that.

Nowhere in this poll does it refer to the Edinburgh branch only. The question is specifically about Royal Mile Whisky as a retailer.

I've visited both stores and have always been impressed by staff service and knowledge. Because of my location I visit the Edinburgh store most. During summer months this is an incredibly busy store. It's packed with tourists looking for obscure products as previously mentioned. I'll agree this does slow service down, but in my opinion it's good to see their staff take the time to discuss whisky with novices. In the past if I have wanted to taste a whisky or at least know some more about the product, I have never felt let down. I'm more than happy to give them their business
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:57 pm

I did mention Edinburgh in the original post and it was last week this all happened, not in the summer. However I'm glad to see that RMW, other than in Edinburgh, has good customer service and that the poor customer service I experienced in Edinburgh is not the experience of many.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby The Fachan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:20 am

The results of the poll seem to be a little different from the comments posted. Only 3 of 18 saying unfriendly ??? Personally I have not had any problems but a great deal depends on the amount of tourists at the time in the store.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Yes, but a number of people commented favorably about the London shop and I'm sure they voted accordingly. However as I said in a previous post I'm glad to see my experience is not the rule however I think they need to improve their level of service in Edinburgh.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:18 pm

The Fachan wrote:Personally I have not had any problems but a great deal depends on the amount of tourists at the time in the store.

If one should happen to be a rather large human being, one may assure that there will not be too many tourists in the shop, simply by being there.... :o
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:48 pm

I have only ordered on-line... and I have gotten quick response, and super fast shipping.

Had to go with friendly on my vote.....

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Mr. T ,

:shock: Ha Ha.....I set myself up for that. |Lets have a pint on Speyside in a few weeks and discuss further. Have a safe trip.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:34 pm

The Fachan wrote:Mr. T ,

:shock: Ha Ha.....I set myself up for that. |Lets have a pint on Speyside in a few weeks and discuss further. Have a safe trip.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea now! :wink: Well, I'll take my chances.
Deactivated Member

Postby DanAir » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Lawrence wrote:Yes, but a number of people commented favorably about the London shop and I'm sure they voted accordingly.

Only to assuage your concerns - I didn't vote.
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:04 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:If one should happen to be a rather large human being, one may assure that there will not be too many tourists in the shop, simply by being there.... :o

Good to know...I'll go during the off-season.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:40 am

Hi Lawrence ,
Tonight on our way over to the in laws i was talking to my wife about your comments on the service of the Edinburgh RMW , i said that i'd mentioned to you about not being happy with their humour . She said to me it was funny (no pun...) but on the afternoon when we were in the shop that either i hadn't heard or just ignored the sarcasm in their conversation . Perhaps i'd chosen to ignore it (you switch off to it on the building sites....) but we both agree , that regardless of who you are (tourist or not ) anyone stepping through the door is a potential customer with money to spend and should be treat courteously .

Say hi to Caroline from us both .
Last edited by Spirit of Islay on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:16 am

Sorry Lawrence I can't really comment on this one as my only experience of RMW was when they never replied to an E-Mail I sent to them.
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Hi Lawrence ,
Tonight on our way over to the in laws i was talking to my wife about your comments on the service of the Edinburgh RMW , i said that i'd mentioned to you about not being happy with their humour . She said to me it was funny (no pun...) but on the afternoon when we were in the shop that either i hadn't heard or just ignored the sarcasm in their conversation .

I can't say that I had ever noticed it before, but I have to agree with what Gordon is saying here. I was in the shop at the time and I don't think he good good service. It was reluctant at best. I don't know what was going on, but it wasn't what it should have been.
Willie JJ

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Collector57 wrote:
Spirit of Islay wrote:regardless of who you are (tourist or not ) anyone stepping through the door is a potential customer with money to spend and should be treat courteously .

And that's just the commercial aspect.
Purely on a manners perspective they shoud be doing better anyway.

Amen!

But getting back to the commercial side of it for a bit... If you're in business, you want (and need) people to come in and spend money. Why do anything that discourages them doing so??? It's covered in the first class of Business 101.

Guess the people behind the counter don't see the connection between how much a business succeeds and their continued employment... :headbang:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:40 pm

I've been to the Edinburgh RMW at least a half dozen times in the last few years including just last May and I've never run across an unfriendly sole there. The times I've been there they've been most helpful except maybe when they're extra busy which can be understandable considering it is such a cramped shop. I don't buy while at RMW any more (unless it's a mini or such) since it's much easier for me to just order direct from home.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:19 pm

I've often thought the Royal Mile staff were disinterested in selling me anything, so I've tended to avoid the shop. It's not that they're unfriendly as such, just that if they're doing something or chatting to each other, they don't look up or indicate that they know I'm waiting, which I think is rude in such a small shop. And once they talked to the customer in front of me for 10 minutes after they'd completed the sale, without acknowledging me. That just sounds petty now I've written it down tho.

Last time I was up that way I wanted some bourbon and there was almost none at The Whisky Shop (where I always like the staff & the service) so I tried RMW. I was directed to an American woman working there who was full of enthusiasm and very friendly and got a sale out of me. So I'm undecided how to vote... as usual :oops:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby whiskeyman5 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:59 am

You might think RMW's location on the Royal Mile is a good thing, but it's a double-edged sword--the place is always full of casual tourists, and I would think the staff's attitude reflects that, unfortunately. They probably spend all day answering questions like "What's the oldest/best/most expensive whisky you have?" "I'm looking for this great whisky I had once--it begins with R..." etc. Not that it excuses what Lawrence describes...but I never buy anything there. I don't even go in to browse any more. ("Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded"--Yogi Berra) Far better to roll on down the hill to the Cadenhead shop.

Are you kidding man? Whisky merchants live for tourists, and they act like smug pricks because ... people are willing to spend over 40 pounds for a bottle of whisky? Here are some choice quotes from their site:

SAZERAC Straight Rye Whiskey:

"A new bottling in 2007, and attractively packaged. Rye whiskeys seem to be growing in popularity among single malt drinkers in recent years, and this is a big favourite of all who've tasted it in the Edinburgh shop."

LAGAVULIN 16 Year Old:

"Apparently the teetotal Johnny Depp sometimes orders a dram of this and just sniffs it (it's that good)."

If you really want to be treated like a fool and have your wallet know what attempted rape feels like, visit the Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin. Its worth loitering in until they're forced to give your free samples, but how's this for a laugh:

Greenore 15 Year Old Single Grain Whiskey - € 84.99 :lol:

Redbreast 15 Year Old Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey - € 149.99 :lol: !!!
whiskeyman5

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:24 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:You might think RMW's location on the Royal Mile is a good thing, but it's a double-edged sword--the place is always full of casual tourists, and I would think the staff's attitude reflects that, unfortunately. They probably spend all day answering questions like "What's the oldest/best/most expensive whisky you have?" "I'm looking for this great whisky I had once--it begins with R..." etc.

I may not run a whisky shop but I do run a whisky bar and I love people like that, even when I'm busy on a major sport night. If someone asks any question about whisky I help as much as possible. The questions I am asked most are along the lines of ....

What's YOUR favourite whisky
What can you recommend
I {like / don't like} JW, can you recommend something else

Any of these, or similar, questions usually cause me to ask the customer(s) what types of flavour they would usually select, either in drinks or food. I also ask if they would prefer smooth, fiery, light, floral, rich, heavy or smokey and then offer two or three to nose before finally selecting one in particular.
As people have said, each person through the door means possible revenue, make their visit memorable and fruitful, then they'll return.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:37 pm

I'm sorry people have had issues with RMW. I have only had positive experiences in the shop. I like the fact it is a small, independent company that can buy whatever stock it wants. I like the fact that it caters both to tourists and also local residents who might want access to interesting foreign whiskeys as well as staple Scotches. I like the way I have seen staff acting as ambassadors for Scotland, being willing to give time to tourists and novices just the same as they give time to their regular customers.

The shop is smallish, and packed to the gills with stuff. That's good, as it means more products to choose from. And even when the shop is full of tourists, I am usually acknowledged quickly and not hurried when it is my turn to be served. The staff have usually known far more about their products that you'd find in Edinburghs non-whisky based shops. And you often meet them outside RMW too - as fellow customers at tastings or at festivals.

And in a dispute over an ebay purchase, RMW were far more helpful to me than I had any right to expect.

I have occasionally seen customers leave looking disappointed, but generally they have been the ones who have either demanded free samples or the ones who have asked for discounts.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Just seen this thread. No. I've always found them to be helpful and pleasant.
les taylor

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder