Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is Royal Mile Whisky The Most Unfriendly Shop?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Your experince at RMW

Friendly
63%
Unfriendly
12%
Indifferent
25%

Total votes : 67

Re: Is Royal Mile Whisky The Most Unfriendly Shop?

Postby Steve Rush » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:25 pm

I find this most surprising. I've visited the store in Edinburgh and on many occassions the one in London. Each and everytime I have been to either store I have been more than impressed with the service.

Even when dealing with them via email they have been great in locating certain bottles that they don't stock but can get from elsewehere.

It's a big thumbs up from me to Arthur and the team at Royal Mile.

Not going to name names but one whisky selling establishment in Soho, would get my thumbs down for service. But that's another story...
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Having placed one order on line about two weeks ago I was pleased with the service. Items were well packaged arrived quickly and were very reasonably priced. I would order again. I am planning a visit to the shop on 6th November. I'll let you know how I get on.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby AVB » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:40 am

I can easily say that over the years I've bought at least 200 bottles from RMW and except for once, which was a misunderstanding between us, the service has been great and they have gone well out of their way to take care of me.
AVB
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Yello to Mello wrote:What I know about people working in retail, some of them are the most unprofessional since in some cases (if no commission, etc.) its a nobody job. I hate to say it but its reality. Not saying that they're all nobodies. There are probably some people that work at RM that are very good and know their stuff and others that are just there part time. The people that do it full time for years know what theyre doing.

I think Edinburgh whisky shops are a bit different. I don't know whether staff are part time or not, but I understand they are encouraged to learn from tastings. The jobs may not be the highest paid in Scotland, but they do have fringe benefits and people seem to move from one whisky job to another. They are generally knowlegeable and willing to learn. You meet many of them socially as they spend their off-duty time going to whisky tastings as paying guests.

On the other hand, from what I have seen, some whisky customers leave a lot to be desired - many seem to have left their manners on the pavement when they step into a whisky shop.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Yello to Mello wrote:This thread is almost 50/50 with experiences.

And if that's what the messages say, the poll results tell a different story.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Yello to Mello wrote:This thread is almost 50/50 with experiences.

And if that's what the messages say, the poll results tell a different story.

Quite correct, not all who voted posted. I'm glad to see my experience appears not to be the standard for a lot of people.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby richard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:00 pm

royal mile whiskies was the first whisky shop i went into and found it very friendly and have been going in to it for about twelve years now about twice a year

the last time i went in it seem to be different couldnt quite put my finger on it anyway i asked about collectable glenlivet bottles i was shown a gordon and mcphail 50 year old decanter and was told it was to dear for me i soon put him in his place :evil: i wont say what i said and left never been back since

i left and walked all the way to cadenheads for the first time on entering the shop the person in the shop was reading the paper i looked around for ten minutes i was never spoken to or asked if i could be helped so i walked out of there nd havent been back since

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:15 am

:shock:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Admiral » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:21 am

I also went to the Edinburgh shop during September when I was in town. I agree wholeheartedly with Lawrence.

I was very underwhelmed by the experience. The shop was dark and gloomy, and the staff sat behind the counter showing no interest at all in the customers. Nothing was available to taste or sample, and all the "interesting" bottles were tucked up high where you couldn't really examine them.

I asked a pretty simple question to one of the guys behind the counter and the response told me that he wasn't too interested in helping me, so I moved on. I actually concluded that the shop must exist purely for tourists.

On that particular trip I purchased multiple bottles at Loch Fyne Whiskies at Inveraray; Gordon & MacPhail at Elgin; and the Whisky Castle at Tomintoul. I felt absolutely no inspiration or desire to purchase from RMW.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:57 am

There's a lot of mention here about tourists in the shop, inferring that tourists are bad. Am I missing something? Every time I've gone in the shop I've been a tourist. I love being a tourist in Edinburgh, I do touristy things. How does a tourist in a whisky shop behave differently from someone who lives there?
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Well, I love Loch fyne whiskies...and I 've never even been there!

Called them yesterday and the lady on the phone taking my order( for mere label removers!) somehow managed to include me in a joke that was going round the shop. I felt welcome...400 miles away!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Must get some of those label removers...

I placed my second order at RMW last week and once again it came promptly and well packaged. Another positive from me.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:00 am

There's a lot of mention here about tourists in the shop, inferring that tourists are bad. Am I missing something? Every time I've gone in the shop I've been a tourist.

Yes, admittedly I used the sentence...
I asked a pretty simple question to one of the guys behind the counter and the response told me that he wasn't too interested in helping me, so I moved on. I actually concluded that the shop must exist purely for tourists.

I guess my point was that the shop was mostly filled with tourists who were either just browsing out of curiosity or were more likely to purchase a plain Glenfiddich 12yo for 20 quid or something.

On the other hand, I was in the store as a serious whisky tragic, and I was the kind of customer who had the potential to spend some decent money or at least appreciate or hone in on their special and rarer bottlings.

Don't misunderstand me...I wasn't looking for or expecting extra special treatment or to have the red carpet rolled out for me, etc. However, I was clearly a different category of customer to most of the others in the shop, yet the guy behind the counter showed no interest or initiative in helping me.

I'll repeat what I said earlier - I ended buying a lot of special bottlings at LFW, G&M, and at the Whisky Castle. Had the guy at RMW engaged me a little more thoughtfully and professionally, I daresay I would have walked out of his door with a lot of bottles under my arm. Instead, I walked out the door emptyhanded and a little puzzled as to his attitude.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:03 am

We all have off days, the main thing is that you got the bottlings you were after in the end I guess.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:23 am

LagaDrinker wrote:We all have off days, the main thing is that you got the bottlings you were after in the end I guess.

I have to say that the point is that they are developing a reputation of being rude to their customers. A number of years ago I visited RMW and asked about Port Ellen. I was steered towards a low end bottling and away from the OB 2nd Release. Quite frankly that is b*llsh*t.

Even a 12yo Glenfiddich has a good profit margin. I would think that any business would understand that margin is margin no matter if it's a 12yo Glenfiddich or a 49 yo Glen Grant from G&M. (I like both by the way)

As the person who started this thread I must say that it really is the gift that keeps on giving, bad news on bad news.

Icon of Whisky, my *ss.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:53 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Well, I love Loch fyne whiskies...and I 've never even been there!

Called them yesterday and the lady on the phone taking my order( for mere label removers!) somehow managed to include me in a joke that was going round the shop. I felt welcome...400 miles away!

Come on then RB share the joke. :wink:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Klas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:35 am

Admiral wrote: I guess my point was that the shop was mostly filled with tourists who were either just browsing out of curiosity or were more likely to purchase a plain Glenfiddich 12yo for 20 quid or something.

On the other hand, I was in the store as a serious whisky tragic, and I was the kind of customer who had the potential to spend some decent money or at least appreciate or hone in on their special and rarer bottlings.

Since the shop was filled with "tourists", could it be that they needed more support with their whisky purchases?

Talking for myself, I like to stroll around a shop without too much "interference" from the staff. I usually know what I am looking for and I know when to ask for help if I eventually need some support in deciding what to buy. I guess that it is not always easy to know who would like support and who that likes to look a bit for themselves.

I have only visited Royal Mile Whisky in Edinburgh twice, but both times I got the help I was looking for and I have been quite pleased with my visits.

I guess we all like the shop assistant to act differently according to our own preferences?
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Talking for myself, I like to stroll around a shop without too much "interference" from the staff. I usually know what I am looking for and I know when to ask for help if I eventually need some support in deciding what to buy. I guess that it is not always easy to know who would like support and who that likes to look a bit for themselves.

I have only visited Royal Mile Whisky in Edinburgh twice, but both times I got the help I was looking for and I have been quite pleased with my visits.

I guess we all like the shop assistant to act differently according to our own preferences?

Sorry Klas, I think you've misunderstood me.

It wasn't a case of me wanting particular service or help - I too was happy to walk around the store until I needed to ask a question. It was the flippant and disinterested way in which the guy in the store responded to me that I felt was poor form.

And it wasn't a case of them having to try and recognise a tourist from a serious whisky drinker - the staff in the shop weren't serving or assisting anyone!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wardjrz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:53 pm

I've dealt with RMW for a number of years both on the telephone and in person and never found them to be anything but extremely friendly. In fact if it hadn't been for Neil Berrie going that extra mile or two last year I wouldn't have been able to attend the Fringe.

We all have off days maybe the initial poster was the unlucky victim of a bad day at the office.
Wardjrz

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:29 pm

les taylor wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:Well, I love Loch fyne whiskies...and I 've never even been there!

Come on then RB share the joke. :wink:

Never did get the punchline1 i was just takne with the fact that it was lte in the day and there was a lot of laughter in the store which the lady didn't want to curb for my sake. i liked that...made it feel like a friendly place, even at a distance, and made the conversation convivial and a little off the wall.

Just remember:

"Whisky is a cure for which there is no disease."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:55 pm

I've really been paying close attention to the service in the shop recently and I have to say I couldn't really find fault with it. I feel that the folks behind the counter have been trying very hard even when the shop is packed which it often is on Saturdays when I go in. I don't suppose anyone will ever get it right 100% of the time but I do think they are really trying hard.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:36 am

Wardjrz wrote:I've dealt with RMW for a number of years both on the telephone and in person and never found them to be anything but extremely friendly. In fact if it hadn't been for Neil Berrie going that extra mile or two last year I wouldn't have been able to attend the Fringe.

We all have off days maybe the initial poster was the unlucky victim of a bad day at the office.

Hello!!!! read the origonal post; a bad week at the office.....we went in every day for the entire visit.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby kyorke1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Can't say I have been in a RMW shop so I haven't voted but sounds disappointing compared some of the experiences I have had in other shops. In most I have to almost fight the assistants off with a stick they are that willing to help, admittedly these shops weren’t that busy at the time.

I do enjoy having a chat with shop keepers and can’t really imagine coming across someone who wasn’t interested and or rude, it would definitely turn me off buying.

My best experience was at the Whisky Shop Oxford; youngish chap in there was really helpful and spent about an hour talking about whisky and I ended up going a half over my original budget on purchases.

TWE London are very good as well, got talking to them one time, after about 15 mins and after I asked them about comparing old to new they offered a side by side tasting of one of their 14yo and 35yo Clynelish – needless to say I was rather chuffed with this. Again this led to a sale.

The Wee Dram is good too, friendly chap there.

House of Fraser and Harvey Nicholas have helpful (seem experienced) staff there too, although I only really go in these places for a laugh to see how much more expensive whisky is there (up to £30 in some cases).

I have gone off topic, apologies for this, does anyone know if there is topic about different shops?
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby kyorke1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Just been to Harvey Nicks again today and was approached by a young female attendant who asked if I was ok. She seemed enthusiastic and knew her stuff.

(sigh) Do I hear wedding bells? :D
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby r900p » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Harvey Nicks Man is where i picked up my last LOTI! I had a walk around Manchester cit centre with our consultants last weel but sadly nothing in Hrvey Nicks or Self.

Anyway i placed an onine order with RMW on Thurs it arrived today so i really can't complain with their online business. I stand by my comments about shop service.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:12 pm

On my Porridge Nick. :roll:
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm

r900p wrote:Harvey Nicks Man is where i picked up my last LOTI! I had a walk around Manchester cit centre with our consultants last weel but sadly nothing in Hrvey Nicks or Self.

Rob

That's a shame, I think Harvey Nicks has the best selection in Manchester (that's not really saying much I know) selling less common expressions of well known whiskies as opposed to Self or House of Fraser selling the bog standard. Nicholas is quite good, although their selection has decreased in size recently but have still kept a few older bottles i.e. Talisker 25, JW blue etc.

Any good shops in Liverpool?
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 am

Well they seem to running true to form with the Ardbeg Day. There's a discussion going on over at WWW (with in put from RMW staff) about whether the seals should be broken to prevent them being sold on by speculators.....

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6284
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bredman » Wed May 30, 2012 4:50 am

Hahaha. That silly program.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby richard » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:57 am

i must admit i am off to edinburgh early part of the next week i will pop in royal mile whiskies and have a look around and see whats going on

hopefully its better than the last time i went in there but i will go in with a open mind

any good bars anybody knows or shops that i dont know
would be appreciated

richard :thumbsup:
richard
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 pm

In London, they might have been sometimes slow to react, but otherwise they were friendly and never had any problem. My experience with Edinburgh was limited and the staff was friendly as well.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby richard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:57 pm

just to say i have just come back from edinburgh and visited royal mile whiskies it is far better than the last time i went in

a lot friendlier and seemed more like the old shop i knew and liked

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby JohnGurney » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 am

I was in the London RWM in August and found the staff to be very helpful. Their stock was limited compared to the Soho Vintage House but I didn't feel under any pressure to make a purchase. I've visited the Edinburgh RWM a couple of times in the past few years and it's always been too busy and crowded for the staff to have enough time for everyone. I think there are far too many tourist who go into the RWM in Edinburgh and they get in the way of a knowledgeable collector. I prefer Vintage House in Soho over all other shops for buying whisky.
JohnGurney

Postby dram2014 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:19 pm

To be honest.
Myself and family just went to the whisky fringe and found the staff at RMW Edinburgh to be arrogant some of the rudest people we have ever met. There is no need for this but they were just up themselves completely. so much so we intend to be sending a letter to the head office not that will do much good as one of the owners seemed to be a bit of idiot as well.
The general feedback from three whisky clubs we met were that RMW are over priced on almost everything they sell. The Whisky Fringe was to busy to enjoy and with the grumpy staff we will not and hope others don't attend future RMW events or shop in their over priced shop.
dram2014

Postby richard » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 pm

if you think royal mile are dear dont go into the whisky shop chain the whisky experience the whisky trail shop as they are dearer than royal mile by at least ten percent and more this is on general stock not collectables
i find the shop is a bit small but thats one of those things nothing can be done about that
i thought there was only one owner that was kier sword but i could be wrong
the other shops i mentioned are just toursit traps along with many others and dont provide anywhere near the service of royal mile 8)
ive never found the staff to be grumpy :shock:
just my thoughts

richard
richard
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder