Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Irish Whiskey - 15th November - 7pm (GMT)

Irish Whiskey - 15th November - 7pm (GMT)

Postby Administrator » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Welcome to the Irish Whisky Live Forum Tasting.

The Whiskies

• Any Irish whiskey you may have...

Date and Time

• Saturday 15th November 7:00pm GMT

Handy Links

Start time - 7:00pm GMT

About...
For those of you who do not know what these are about, they run for generally 12+ hours and we all sit down (at various times) to taste a range of whiskies and share our notes and comments on the forum. Have a look in the Live Tasting forum for past events.

They are a great way to meet people on the forum, chat about your experiences and learn something new about the whiskies you have, and we all end up having a good time.

Please feel free to join in and post any comments or tasting notes you have. Tasting notes can be added using the Tasting Note tab on the postings page. (Note, the Age field on the tasting must be a number such as 7,9,10,18)

We look forward to seeing you on Saturday evening...

Click Here
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Irish Whiskey - 15th November - 7pm (GMT)

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Just popping on to say hello for the moment. Will be about 9pm (hopefully!) before my two-year-old goes to bed...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi, just waiting for the rugby humiliation to be over.
What are we kicking off with?
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:25 pm

I'll be in about 8-ish. Just had tea, so letting my taste buds settle down before working them again... half an hour should suffice hopefully, can't wait to get started on this!
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:32 pm

All I have is a Connemara CS. I'll pour some out when Merlin finishes and come back then.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby cathach » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:37 pm

I have to bring my one year old (jack russell) out for a walk. I'll be back to ye later. around 10pm
cathach
Silver Member

Postby DavidH » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:40 pm

I have arrived! Ironically, I had to tear myself away from having a few whiskeys with my homies to come back for this. That's always the way: you don't go out for weeks and then everything happens on the same night.

Anyway I had a couple of Black Bush while out because I have none at home.
Last edited by DavidH on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm starting off with Green Spot, bought specially for this occasion.
(Only messing - I would have grabbed it anyway!)
Well, what can I say? Probably the greatest young Irish whiskey ever.
Nose: A fantastic wave of scents, beginning with some mintiness, almost like toothpaste, then some sherry, and I'm getting bananas and even eucalyptus/menthol.
Palate: Again some sherry notes, but with a heavy pot-still spiciness this time, again some mint and a herbal element I can't quite put my finger on. Sort of grassy, but a little more aromatic.
Finish: Still getting the sherry and that minty, mentholly note, but in the end it is the spiciness that lingers.
This is a splendid pot still whiskey that belies the youth of the spirit, extremely well rounded with some intriguing and unusual characteristics that add complexity to the nose and the palate.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Just getting organised now. The list looks like:

Jameson Signature Reserve
Knappogue Castle 94
Magilligan
Tyrconnell 15yo SC 46%
Greenspot
L8 from Cathac (is this the Locke's 8yo PPS?)
Redbreast 12
Redbreast 15
Connemara CS
First Spirits 8yo Single Cask Cooley Peated malt
Connemara 12yo
Cadenhead 16yo peated Cooley 57.4%

Many thanks to all who donated samples.

I'm getting a glass now :D
Willie JJ

Postby TheTross » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Ok, first of the night from me.

Bushmills 10yo (40%, OB)

Nose: Citrus (mainly lemon but also some weak orange) and a little malt. Grassy and a little spicy and oaky, with a very subtle underlying pepperiness. Well honeyed. A suggestion of vanilla.

Palate: Malty, grassy flavours again, also with more oak than the nose suggests. Lots of citrus fruit. Dries the cheeks over time.

Finish: A hint of peat before becoming sweet and fruity. A little woody again. A fair amount of honey and eucalyptus come through later on and seem to linger.

I enjoyed this; it was more robust than I thought it'd be and reminded me very much of a good Lowlander (alright, I'll have to refrain from comparisons with Scotch...). I'm not exactly au fait with Irish whiskey though, so I've no idea how it stands up to other Irish. Suppose I'll find out soon enough!
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Not sure where to start so I'll have a go at the Jamesons Signature Reserve.
Willie JJ

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:26 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Not sure where to start so I'll have a go at the Jamesons Signature Reserve.

Hi Willie. It was nice to meet you in Scotland at Whisky Live. I'm sorry I was a little worse for wear at the time. I got carried away with so many new drams to try!
Hope you enjoy the Irish tonight.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby DavidH » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 pm

OK, starting light... Greenore 8yo grain whiskey (40%).

(And here's where I run slap into my almost complete inability to describe a whiskey... but I have to practise, I suppose!)

Nose: Perfumey at first, settled down to hay.

Palate: Light and lemony.

Finish: Honey all the way down to the fade out. Any woodiness is firmly submerged, which is where I like it.

It has been months since I tried this, since I was saving the end of a bottle for the tonight. I still really like it. It's light, sure, but it has no off notes and it is, IMHO, one of the few bargains in Irish whiskey.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:31 pm

JCSkinner wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:Not sure where to start so I'll have a go at the Jamesons Signature Reserve.

Hi Willie. It was nice to meet you in Scotland at Whisky Live. I'm sorry I was a little worse for wear at the time. I got carried away with so many new drams to try!
Hope you enjoy the Irish tonight.

It was good to meet you too JC. I can assure you I was in no better shape by the end of the day. :)

Missed you at the Connemara masterclass on Saturday though. That was great fun. Noel Sweeney is a very nice guy.
Willie JJ

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:34 pm

I'd every intention of getting there, but it was a bridge too far that day for me.
And I've tried most of the Connemaras before. But tell me, what were the single casks Noel produced like?
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Good evening. Wow, what a list for tasting! I just have the one tonight, are you all bothered in what order these are tasted, or can I just jump in?
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:38 pm

Just poppin' in for a little while.

I had to evacuate last night in a bit of a hurry. Basically the Sayre fire broke out just about behind the house. Looks like the house survived but I can't say that for some of the friends. I had 20 min. to get some clothes the important documents and the kids and then go.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Ganga how awful, your family must have been so frightened. Sorry to hear about your friends' houses, but thankfully you sound to be ok.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Shrek » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:45 pm

I only have a few from the list (thanks to Willie for sharing the RB15 especially) but will run thro what I have starting with Jon Mark and Robbos 'Smooth Sweeter One'.

This is a 70% Cooley/30% Bunnahabhain vatting so I'm cheating, sorry, but thought I'd start off with this as an intro to Irish.

It's very light, just hints of various green fruits, a bit grassy, a wee bit of vanilla and some gentle spice at the finish. Not a bad dram, just nothing exciting going on - however one thing it sure is, is 'Smooth and Sweet' so it 'does what it says on the tin'.
Shrek

Postby Ganga » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Everyone was smart. Get out with your documents and family.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Ganga wrote:Everyone was smart. Get out with your documents and family.

Thank God everyone's okay, mate. I hope sorting everything out won't be too crazy for you. I heard about those fires on the news. They sounded severe.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:51 pm

JCSkinner wrote:And I've tried most of the Connemaras before. But tell me, what were the single casks Noel produced like?

He gave us it at 3, 6, 8, 12, and the 1992 vintage if I remember correctly and I thought it was all great. Ok the 3 was pretty spirity, but it was full of life and great fun with it. I think he said it was the 6yo that was the Connemara CS OB, but it might have been the 8yo. The 12yo was the Connemara 12yo OB. The 1992 was lovely.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Ganga wrote:Just poppin' in for a little while.

I had to evacuate last night in a bit of a hurry. Basically the Sayre fire broke out just about behind the house. Looks like the house survived but I can't say that for some of the friends. I had 20 min. to get some clothes the important documents and the kids and then go.

Good God Rich. Where are you staying? What a nightmare.
Willie JJ

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Willie JJ wrote:He gave us it at 3, 6, 8, 12, and the 1992 vintage if I remember correctly and I thought it was all great. Ok the 3 was pretty spirity, but it was full of life and great fun with it. I think he said it was the 6yo that was the Connemara CS OB, but it might have been the 8yo. The 12yo was the Connemara 12yo OB. The 1992 was lovely.

Sounds like a great day! Sorry I missed it. I think the CS OB is 8 yo, but it doesn't have an age statement on the bottle in front of me.
I was going to leave the peaty whiskeys till later but you've whetted my appetite, so I'm pouring a dram of the CS now. Going to head-to-head the CS, 12 yo, and the OB.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi All, Sorry for being late guys just in the door and booted up as quickly as I could .....

What I have available to me at the mo is the following but not sure if I'll go through them all.

Bushmills 1680
Bushmills 1680 Anniversay Edt
Bushmills Millennium (1975)

Jameson Signature Reserve
Jameson 12yo
Jameson 1780 (Old version of new 12yo)
Irishman 70
Powers

Greenspot
Redbreast 12
Redbreast 15
Jameson 15yo PPS

Knappogue Castle 94
Michael Collins Single Malt
Tyrconnell 13yo SC 3169
Tyrconnell Sherry Cask

Connemara
Connemara CS
Connemara 12yo
First Spirits 8yo Single Cask Cooley Peated malt

Think I'll start with Jemmy Sig
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby DavidH » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Missed you at the Connemara masterclass on Saturday though. That was great fun. Noel Sweeney is a very nice guy.

Did he say why Cooley decided to produce a peated whiskey? I've heard two very different stories.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Jameson Signature Reserve 40%

Nose: Oranges, malted milk, stewed fruits, milk chocolate and caramel
Palate: hmm, more caramel. When the flavour of the whiskey breaks through it is a surprise that makes you think it is wrong, but I think it just doesn't work with the caramel. I think there's something good under there but don't have the skill to identify it
Finish: Quite short and flat

This is perfectly drinkable stuff, but they've coloured it and the spirit is too delicate too take it imo.
Willie JJ

Postby Shrek » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Now on a Jameson Crested Ten - Sherry and Linseed oil on the nose, followed by fudge and spice on the palate, in fact a wee bit of rum 'n raisin in there. Then a lovely smooth and warm finish. To me the potstill influence is showing over the grain.

Now going to try this HTH against the Jameson Signature Reserve duty free.

Any Irish experts know how much PPS are in these premium Jameson blends?
Shrek

Postby TheTross » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Greenspot (40%, OB)

Nose: Quite rich, with a fair amount of bourbon showing. A little oak, spice, honey and vanilla. Some maltiness and lightly grassy. Faintly peppery. Some chocolaty notes (chocolate spread - perhaps something like Nutella).

Palate: Cooling and very soft and fruity, with a little grass, honey and vanilla.

Finish: Light and malty, with fruit, a bourbon sweetness and a tiny amount of honey and mint. Becomes quite citric soon after, with a sprinkling of cocoa powder making a late appearance.

I really, really like the nose on this, which is complex and inviting and shows lots of character, but I feel the palate lets it down by being quite shy. Incredibly smooth and soft though, and definitely my favourite Irish so far!
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:20 pm

I read today that there's some sherry casks in the Greenspot. I love it and always get menthol.
Aidan

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:22 pm

DavidH wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:Missed you at the Connemara masterclass on Saturday though. That was great fun. Noel Sweeney is a very nice guy.

Did he say why Cooley decided to produce a peated whiskey? I've heard two very different stories.

He did talk about traditions of peated whiskey in the West of Ireland David, but really i got the sense that they made it because they thought there was a market for it. And they were right of course.
Willie JJ

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:23 pm

Aidan wrote:I read today that there's some sherry casks in the Greenspot. I love it and always get menthol.

25% sherry casks, Aidan. I always get the menthol too!
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby DavidH » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Collector57 wrote:GreenSpot IB courtesy IWC

Nose: Heavy. Is there sherry in here? From the raisins on the nose I would guess so?

Definitely. Green Spot was an all-sherry matured whiskey back in the day (a mix of different kinds of sherry). When IDL took over maturation from Mitchells (Dublin wine importers) they were careful to recreate the same taste. That's what I've been told, anyway. They somehow managed to do it with far fewer sherry casks though (25% sherry cask - corrected myself after seeing JCS's post above).

But yes, it should have lots of sherry character.
Last edited by DavidH on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Connemara Cask Strength next up.
Nose: perfumy, with feinty solvents, orange zest, then some tarry smoke and brine. Water doesn't change the nose much.
Palate: Roaring wood fire smoke! More tar, a candied sweetness, and a sweet spiciness, maybe cardamom?
Finish: There's some sort of sulphur on the finish. Stagnant ponds sort of thing. But this is where this whiskey gets complex. There's pipe smoke, stewed prunes, vanilla pods, cinnamon sticks, bubblegum.
Overall, this seems to have a bit of complexity, but no balance. The taste and nose bounce around all over the place. Not a bad whiskey at all, but not a rounded one either to my mind.
Last edited by JCSkinner on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Jameson Signature Reserve 40%

Nose: Dry. Typical Jameson nose with that slight metallic influence. Straw, some sweet pale dried fruits like a touch apricot maybe even a touch of toffee.

Palate: Pleasantly sweet (sweet gobstopper candy) Drying

Finish: Dusty spice but not strong then comming back into the previous sweetness. Short and a bit watery again sweet but I've just got hit in the back of the palate with liquorice

Going to head for the Jameson 1780 next
irishwhiskeychaser

Next

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder