Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Irish Whiskey - 15th November - 7pm (GMT)

Re: Irish Whiskey - 15th November - 7pm (GMT)

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Connemara Cask Strength 57.8%

Nose: Lemon barley water, grass, medicinal peat, peach compote at the bottom of a vanilla yoghurt, then sooty peat.

Palate: Very sweet at first then the huge wave of peat balances it out beautifully. Vanilla dusting sugar, tinned fruit salad, then peppery and dry.

Finish: Long and peaty, and old-fashioned coltsfoot/liquorice rock followed by tingly pepper then back to the smoke and liquorice rock batting back and forth. I'm glad it goes on so long, I love this.

This is wonderful. It's lovely and light and sunny (is that a flavour?) perhaps because of the almost-lycee/white grape flavours amongst the peat. The alcohol is quite sharp at first, but when I returned half-hour later it had mellowed enormously. It didn't really need water at that point, tho I added a little in the interest of research to see what might occur.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:28 pm

Has the Cadenhead's Cooley made it to Eire, or was I too slow getting it out?
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Shrek » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Something dull in the Jameson Signature Reserve - HTH against the Crested Ten the SR is just not sharp and crisply spiced like the CT. A very much more muted and a wee bit younger version of Crested Ten perhaps?

Bl00dy caramel, why do they spoil whisky, sorry whiskey!, with this stuff just to make it look good. :x
Shrek

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Awe, that's me done. The one and only Irish I have atm. And now I wish I'd been organised enough to sort out some more for tonight :( Ah well, lesson learned, will do better next time :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:34 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:Awe, that's me done. The one and only Irish I have atm. And now I wish I'd been organised enough to sort out some more for tonight :( Ah well, lesson learned, will do better next time :)

I wish I could put a dram in front of you, TS!
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:35 pm

Good evening.
Tasted the RB15, Jameson Sig. and the Greenspot.
Feeling a but exhausted after yesterdays drinking that is why I haven't posted yet.

Sofar the RB 15 is the best, there is something in the taste and finish that intriges me. It's not just peat and dirt, a bit like old bananas...
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Jameson 1780 40%

Nose: Dry & earthy at first compared to the Reserve. Much richer and vegital coming through a heavier muted sweetness (thick prune juice maybe)

Palate: Again a much heavier experience on the tongue :thumbsup: . Far superior palate too, dark brown sugar ad a touch of marmalade

Finish: Beautiful sweet spice burst and much longer with the reminants of peppered nutmeg :o

Stunning compared to the Signature reserve ... which would lead me to believe that the 12yo is also much better than the reserve.
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Has the Cadenhead's Cooley made it to Eire, or was I too slow getting it out?

I've not got it yet Willie but no problem as I'll enjoy it the more when I do get it and it is one that I will actually savour on it's own. Looking forward to it :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Willy. I think you sent a sample to me, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll have it to look forward to next week. I have the 14 yr old version here. I'll try that shortly.

Just trying the signature reserve. Thanks Adrian.

Leather, varnish and a bit of cinamon on the nose

I taste a bit of burnt sugar. Vanilla from the wood. Sweetish.

I could drink this. Not the best Jameson, but okay.
Aidan

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:38 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:Awe, that's me done. The one and only Irish I have atm. And now I wish I'd been organised enough to sort out some more for tonight :( Ah well, lesson learned, will do better next time :)

Unfortunately we can't email it to you Treacle. :?

How was the show the other night btw?
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:40 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I've not got it yet Willie

Aidan wrote:it hasn't arrived yet

Sorry about that guys. Its been in the post since Tuesday, but that's clearly not enough. :(
Willie JJ

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:41 pm

It could well of got to Dublin in that time but obviously not but the pony express west takes a bit longer anyway :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:43 pm

JCSkinner wrote:I wish I could put a dram in front of you, TS!
Me too! Thanks for the thought tho' :)

Willie JJ wrote:Unfortunately we can't email it to you Treacle. :?

How was the show the other night btw?

It was fabulous, have posted in the Live thread in The Bar... And if I can't talk Mr.Treacle into taking me to Edinburgh for Witches of Eastwick in December (mmm, Marti Pellow), I think we'll be back later this month to see Poppins again!
Last edited by TreacleSponge on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:44 pm

I've just had Jameson 12yo but I'm having trouble putting my finger on the notes. And it's not inspiring me to poetry either. Heavy all round. I think some 18yo might help...
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Okay, the OB Connemara now.
Nose: It shows a lot of family resemblance to the CS here. More feinty nail varnish, pear drops, perfumy and solvents in general really, plus charcoal smoke. Maybe not as rich a nose as the CS.
Palate: There's a serious caramel mouthfeel here. Cooley aren't pulling a Jameson and adding caramel, are they? Also brine, tar and peat smoke.
Finish: Vanilla, oddly enough, as it's quite a young whiskey (8 yo, I believe.) Also bananas, and some briny iodine.
This might make a good alternative to basic Islays for Scotch addicts. Then again, I'm probably talking out of my arse, since I don't drink a lot of Scotch. But it bears comparison with the young Bowmores I've tried.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:54 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Sorry about that guys. Its been in the post since Tuesday, but that's clearly not enough. :(

Not your fault. Witness our national postal service, An Post in (in)action!
:headbang:
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:55 pm

Just tried the jameson distillery reserve 12. Nicer than the signature. A bit more of everything and not as sweet. Oilier. A bit more varnish. Chocolate.
Aidan

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:06 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:It was fabulous, have posted in the Live thread in The Bar... And if I can't talk Mr.Treacle into taking me to Edinburgh for Witches of Eastwick in December (mmm, Marti Pellow), I think we'll be back later this month to see Poppins again!

Ha ha my mrs might want to see that if she knows that Marty Pellow is in it. Anyway let me know if you have time for a dram next time.
Willie JJ

Postby Shrek » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Magilligan (a youngish/5yo+ single malt from Cooley, and not PPS as the bottle states, bottled for Ian Macleod - an independent Scottish bottler). The one I have is unpeated altho they also do an 8yo peated version. According to the IM website this one is a small batch of 6-8yo casks.

I like this one - different from other Irish and as such very much more like a Scottish single malt. Lovely and smooth, loads of vanilla from the bourbon cask influence. Nice and smooth for a youngster, no off notes, just a nice, sweet and malty dram.
Shrek

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Okay Connemara the entire Provence :wink:

Connemara 40%

Nose: Dry earthy Peat. Obvious ripe pear cut with vinegar. Quite soft on the nose.

Palate: Light Quiet sweet with vanilla

Finish: Sweet Drying peat with an ashy feel

Connemara CS 59.6%

Nose: Dryer and sharper than the NAS nearly iron ore earthy peat :? but this time with ripe apple over the pear

Palate: What a beast compared to the lighter NAS. Fuller, rounder and heavier sweetness with almond extract.

Finish: The peat smoke surfaces out of the almond and both cry on to the end in a decent length

Connemara 12yo 40%

Nose: Much thicker & fruitier than the others ... apple skins with syrup of pale fruits. Finding it hard to find the peat or am I nosed out :o

Palate: After the CS again the 40% makes this feel light but plenty of rich sweetness as the nose suggests

Finish: out of the sweetness comes smoke and wood in harmony.

The CS wins hands down for me on this HTH

First Spirits '92 8yo Cooley 46%

Nose: A nose betwen the NAS and CS connemara but with more smoke and slightly less fruit evident

Palate: Beautifully rounded soft sweetness (probably the best mouth feel of all 4) More exotice fruit rather than any apples or pears

Finish: The wonderful rich fruit and smoke take it to the dry ash bridge :thumbsup:

This for me is a great Cooley IB and has become a favourite of mine along with the Connemara CS but the CS has to shade it for any peat heads out there.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Collector57 wrote:Redbreast 12 courtesy IWC

Nose: Honey, vanilla custard, cream - yumm

Palate: This is amazing. There is so much going on here that it's hard to identify individual components. But it's just lovely. Sweet, malty, creamy, spicey, oaky, sherry?, everything

Finish: Long, long. Vanilla, oak and raisins.

Fantastic! I love the 15 but you can't get it. This is available in Waitrose. It is going on my "always have one open" list. Just need to buy some....

That's three Irish on your must-always-have list already, Nick. This could end up being an expensive night for you!
Having said that, I can't fault your palate. I love all three, and do indeed generally have all three open at home. :thumbsup:
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Collector57 wrote:Redbreast 12 courtesy IWC

Nose: Honey, vanilla custard, cream - yumm

Palate: This is amazing. There is so much going on here that it's hard to identify individual components. But it's just lovely. Sweet, malty, creamy, spicey, oaky, sherry?, everything

Finish: Long, long. Vanilla, oak and raisins.

Fantastic! I love the 15 but you can't get it. This is available in Waitrose. It is going on my "always have one open" list. Just need to buy some....

I think you summed it up nicely with the

'.... just lovely. Sweet, malty, creamy, spicey, oaky, sherry?, everything .... '
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 pm

K94 which I assume is Knappogue Castle 1994 (Micheál?)

Nose: mmm much nicer than the JSR. Clean, citrus, tangerines, malt underneath.
Palate: Hugely fruity and fresh. Almost fizzing.
Finish: Medium to long. Lovely waves of juicy fruits coming again.

This is lovely stuff. I could drink it anytime. Yum!
Willie JJ

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:19 pm

I'd agree with Adrian on the Cooley first spirits 8 y o. It's really lovely.

I'm trying the Cadenhead 14 yr old peated single cask.

Stewed fruit, smoke, sweet then bitter, aniseed. Vanilla.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Nick, I think the pure pot still element of Irish whiskey really grows on you too. You could like it even more in a while.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Collector57 wrote:Well, I'm afraid I'm becoming an Irish Whiskey convert :evil:
Not all of them, but the hit rate so far has been exceptionally high.
Just some fantastic samples sent to me by you guys out there.

Thank you to all for opening my eyes to this unexplored area!

Just as long as yourself and Willie keep educating us on Scotch we'll all be happy :wink: :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Okay, the Connemara 12 yo now. Top of the range, but like Adrian said already, not the best to my mind.
Nose: Feinty again. Pineapples, more nail varnish, and carbolic soap type phenols. Not so smokey, perhaps as a result of some extra time in the wood, but I'm not getting too much vanilla character though.
Palate: Mild coal smoke, more bubble gum, and some bourbonesque leatheriness.
Finish: Natural gas type phenols, still not really peaty, some pear drops, but right at the finish some maltiness is detectable only after a long light smokey finish.
A tad too sweet and insufficiently smokey, and that's from someone who's not a particular peat fan. This is very pale for a 12 yo, so perhaps I was wrong about Cooley playing with caramel additives.
Surprisingly for a whiskey of its age, this is fairly bland. I suspect the phenolic level is relatively low.
I mean, it's not without a taste, but it is without a lot of subtlety. There's some smoke, some sweetness, then it's gone. The base spirit seems to be still showing through, which indicates that perhaps the wood hasn't departed very much.
Can't say I'm a convert to Connemara really. And I've had it enough times now. I'm looking forward to the sherried release though. I think some sherry character is what this family of whiskeys has been missing.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:29 pm

Aidan wrote:I'd agree with Adrian on the Cooley first spirits 8 y o. It's really lovely.

I'm trying the Cadenhead 14 yr old peated single cask.

Stewed fruit, smoke, sweet then bitter, aniseed. Vanilla.

I was kinda thinking that the First Spirits was in the Cadenheads vein but I have nothing to compare it to at the mo.... would I be right in saying that the Cadenheads bottlings are more brutish and the First Spirits bottle has a bit more finesse ?????

I loved the Cadenheads 13 & 15 but they are now memories so I'm thinking now they may not be the same style.

Can' wait to get my Cadenheads sample :D :twisted:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:36 pm

My quotes button is not working... Anyway, yes, I'd say the Cadenhead has a little more punch to it.

I'll give you a sample when you're in dublin. They have the midleton single cask in the Celtic Whiskey Shop now.
Aidan

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Moving on to the Knappogue 94, courtesy of Micheal.
Nose: Cut grass from the off. You'd know straight out that this was Bushmills spirit. But then there's some new things - exotic fruit like lychees, fudge, cocoa powder.
Palate: Milk chocolate, a creaminess coating the whole mouth, followed in turn by sultanas, almonds and dried orange peel. This whiskey tastes like the spirits equivalent of a fruit and nut bar!
Finish: It finishes extremely well, and lingers long. I'm getting dark chocolate, digestive biscuits (the malt, presumably), and some citrus.
You'd know it was Bushmills immediately. Yet it's quite atypical of their own bottlings, except perhaps for some of their single bourbon cask releases.
This is a smashing whiskey. Right up there, possibly beyond Bush's own 12 yo bottlings, including the distillery reserve and the 1608 which are much more sherried. I've got to lay my hands on a bottle of this. It seems to deserve some of the high marks some of the whiskey writers have given it.
Thanks again, Micheal! :thumbsup:
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Knappogue Castle 1994 (L6) 12yo

Nose: Quite malty & grassy but with an underlying sweet citrus zing

Palate: A nice smooth creamy malt with wonderful sweet fruit (peach maybe)

Finish: Finish is a bit disappointing but there is a sense or real home made sugar sweet lemonade there. Woody dryness.

This is not a bad dram at all and certainly very drinkable but is one I need to be in the mood for ....

i did have a long day today so will definitely revisit this one though for a second opinion :wink:

Thanks Micheál for the sample much appreciated :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Shrek » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Bushmills Select Casks 12yo - travel retail.

I can't my head round this one at all - to me it's like the Bushmills 10, just bland, but the rum cask influence seems to have given it a tangy, off-key element.

I have now tried this about 6 or 7 times, after buying it earlier this year, and can't fathom it out. I only bought it after being bored out of my skull one time sitting in an airport lounge - and I have about 80cl left of the 1L bottle, yikes. It's not bad, just not very good :?
Shrek

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Shrek wrote:Bushmills Select Casks 12yo - travel retail.

I can't my head round this one at all - to me it's like the Bushmills 10, just bland, but the rum cask influence seems to have given it a tangy, off-key element.

I have now tried this about 6 or 7 times, after buying it earlier this year, and can't fathom it out. I only bought it after being bored out of my skull one time sitting in an airport lounge - and I have about 80cl left of the 1L bottle, yikes. It's not bad, just not very good :?

John Hansell was blogging about this whiskey only today. Apparently Bush are planning a more aged rum-casked whiskey as their next new release. See here:
http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/11/15 ... cask-aged/
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:02 am

JC's comments prompted me to try another Bushmills and it will have to be the 1680 Ann Ed.

Bushmills 1680 Anniversary edition 46%

Nose: Lightly toasted something or other :roll: malt and a mix of fruits

Palate: Lovely sweetness with a splash of pepper then some exotic fruits

Finish: I actually find that this has a longer and more pleasing finish for me and strangely a drying nearly ashiness in the very end :?

This is the gass thing about whiskey ... we as individuals have very different tastes and maybe sometimes certain tastes are accentuated in my taste buds and vice versa with JC so we get 2 varying reports. I have to say the 1608 really does it for me and I can honestly say it is probably one of my favourite Bushes
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:04 am

I have just poured that Bushmills. Quite spirity on the nose. I think it's okay. Sometimes I like it and other times I don't. This is in between.
Aidan

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder