Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Mr Fjeld and Musky's post Christmas dram tasting

Re: Mr Fjeld and Musky's post Christmas dram tasting

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:25 am

Nice to see you here Treacle :)
Not a lot of people turned up but then it's christmas season after all. Next time maybe.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dram fine idea » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:24 pm

The 2 is the distillery number (i.e. the second distillery from which the Society bought a cask) and 35 is the cask number the Society has bought from that distillery.

I may be wrong but I think 2 refers to Glenlivet, and 35 is the 35th cask the Society bought from the Glenlivet distillery.
Dram fine idea
Bronze Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:37 pm

2 Is Glenlivet. You can get the codes here

http://www.whiskyportal.com/smws/SMWS_codes_1.asp
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Dram fine idea » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Here's some notes on a few samples received from Collector 57 and Treacle Sponge. Many thanks.

Old Pulteney, Official Bottling, 15 years, Cask No 927, Sherry Cask, 60.1% abv - thanks to Collector 57 for this sample

Glass - Glencairn
Nose - Sweet, in a bubblegum fashion, and a perfumed bourbon quality (I know - it seems daft to me when this is a sherry cask - am I losing it?)
Taste - Incredibly sweet, and tangy with a touch of salt when I chew it down the sides of the mouth, and creamy and vanilla, and really gentle for all its abv strength
Finish - Incredibly warming in a smooth way - it has a bourbon feel to it with spice and vanilla
Comment - Lovely whisky to settle into and enjoy, cheers Nick! This suggests to me it comes from a bourbon rather than a sherry cask - I look forward to returning to this one without the slight cold which I have at the moment. Very enjoyable nonetheless.

Glenfarclas Quarter Cask, Distilled 1987, Bottled 2006 - many thanks to Treacle Sponge for this sample

Glass - Glencairn
Nose - Woody at first with some nose prickle, then it quickly burns off and becomes predominantly sweet with hints of bubblegum, very creamy, with vanilla and caramel (probably the influence of the small casks). Reminds me of Macallan Elegancia 12yo or Macallan Fine Oak 15yo.
Taste - Soft, then nipping away gently at the tastebuds, sweet, touch of salt, dryness and some astringency in a lively appealing way, then after a while it becomes gentler, more rounded and creamy. I found it worthwhile to hold this one in my mouth for quite a while
Finish - medium length with more of the same, a real salt and vanilla character comes through.
Comment - Very enjoyable indeed - thanks TS!

Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yo 45%
Glass - Glencairn
Nose - Very nice! I'm not an expert on bourbon or a bourbon fan - yet! - but to me this is well rounded and gentle on the nose. I detect dry wood, sweetness (bubblegum), a perfumed characteristic, and fruit and spice as well.
Taste - Sweet, dry perfume character, good lively mouthfeel, woody, plus a juicy syrupy character which I enjoyed
Finish - Medium, lively, more of the same
Comment - An enjoyable drink, this really was better than I expected, cheers TS! I think I'll look into trying out a few more bourbons.
Dram fine idea
Bronze Member

Postby Dram fine idea » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi Nick

Perhaps it's because I have a cold at the moment? I'm sure I will get the sherry when I come back to it on a better day.

Cheers
Steve
Dram fine idea
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:45 am

Sorry folks I didn't make this one. I ended up with a lot of folk in the house and this is the first chance I've had to get online. Will try to get back to this thread soon. Hope the holiday is going well for all.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for explaining the SMWS numbering, DFI and LagaDrinker. So it's not a particularly secretive numbering system then!

I've left it too late to edit now - I wonder if any of the lovely Forum Elves might just add "Glenlivet" to my tasting note fields for title and brand if they're not to busy?
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:12 am

Thanks to everyone who was able to take the time out of their busy lives and family get togethers to share their thoughts and comments on the drams they've enjoyed.

It's the people like yourselves who, by sharing and participating in such a generous manner, make the froums an enjoyable place to visit.

A very Happy New year to all of you from the Lake of the Woods area of Canada. May the coming year bring you happiness, joy and a few new whiskies to enjoy!

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:31 pm

Ooh, the Elves edited my note, thanks very much :D

It was a good tasting idea, MrFjeld & Musky - it would be good to see some more random Christmas gift tastings here when anyone gets time. Interesting to read rum notes here :thumbsup:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:53 am

Unfortunately no liquid sunshine for Christmas. The relatives fed my other passion: numismatics.
Ganga
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder