Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Christmas Drams - 13th December 2008

Re: Christmas Drams - 13th December 2008

Postby Wave » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:09 am

Now this is a real Christmas dram!!!!

Glenfarclas 31yo 1974 OB 57.4% ABV

N: Milk Chocolate and raisins, heavy dried fruits
P: Very creamy, like drinking buttermilk, dark chocolate and dried red fruits
F: Long and spicy sweet with some late smoke
:P

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:57 am

Talisker 25 yo OB 2004 bottling.

N: slight sherry, salt, pepper and some wood
P: salt and pepper, dried peaches and apricots with some sherry in the background
F: drying, and very long

Wave that glenfarclas sounds amazing.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:27 am

Macallan 18yo 1988. This is my last dram of the night.

N: sherry, stewed fruits, dried strawberry, and cinnamon
P: sweet sherry, cocoa, and spice
F: long and sweet yet dry.

One of my top 5 and a great X-mas dram

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Well here I am, beyond fashionably late I think :oops: Couldn't make it last night but I can't miss out on these festivities, so I'll have a root around and see what I can bring along...
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Finally decided. It sounds so obviously Christmas - port & sherry - I'll have to start with a Balvenie 21yo Portwood.

Balvenie 21yo Portwood

The Balvenie
21yo Portwood
Cherries in milk chocolate. Lots of melon and red apple skins. It's very perfumed, heading towards play-doh. Sweet and enticing, like having a tempting dessert set before you. After five minutes the fruits sharpen up to white grapes and not-quite-ripe strawberries but that soft cherry chocolate is still there. Water brings out more floral notes.
Much better with a tiny drop of water which brings out another sweetness, lovely toffee and honey. There's some marzipan and pastry like a warm Bakewell tart. A little bit oaky. All the time the port is lightly hovering in the background, sometimes moving a little more to the front. It's a beautiful finish for this whisky, works very well.
Milk chocolate, vanilla, and freshly sawn wood.
I like this but 40% is not quite strong enough for it, and it's a little too soft and floral/perfumed. What makes it a great Christmas dram is that it goes perfectly with mince pies. They bring out the sherry in it, and firm up those loose perfumey notes, to make it much more how I want it to be all the time. In fact if it was a little higher ABV and was this robust without eating the mince pies, it'd be too nice
-

21 Years Old
40%
-

Single Malt
Scotland
a tiny drop
nope
Glencairn
-

Please do not reproduce or copy this tasting note without permission.

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:54 pm

OK, still in the Christmas spirit, G&M Old Pulteney 1990 (thanks for this Dram Fine Idea)

G&M Old Pulteney 1990-2006 cask#5469

Old Pulteney
G&M 1990-2006
Rich and immediately both sweet and salty. This will be interesting! Already feels Christmassy with nuts and marzipan. Adding water brings out peanut butter, which then becomes salted peanuts.
A hint of singed hair, or perhaps burnt rubber. Cloves on the tip of the tongue are washed over with salt. Bitter orange rind. Whole nut dark chocolate. Perhaps as we're being seasonal that should be chocolate brazils. Then there's an unexpected little bit of pineapple cooked on a barbecue with ginger butter, which becomes more charred and bitter.
Long and quite dry. There's something a little meaty here. But mainly crystallised ginger and strongly sherried, with very coastal notes.
This is so interesting. I know the 12yo has a fan base but it's never done anything for me. Perhaps I underestimate it. This 18yo has woken my curiosity and I'll revisit the 12 to see what I can notice. I've loathed whiskies that show any sulphur but I wasn't repulsed here. It's very complex, something to take time over, and it's definitely one for long dark nights. Thanks to Dram Fine Idea for this, it would otherwise have been a long time till I'd think to try anything else from this distillery!
-

0 Years Old
1990-2006
59%
Gordon MacPhail

-
Scotland
yes
no
Glencairn
1st fill sherry butt 1990-2006 cask 5469

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Last one then, Macphunn Cask 2 18yo. Thanks C57 for this surprise dram :) I don't know anything about it but I'm going to call it a Christmas dram because it looks like it's been comfortably settled in a sherry cask :)

MacPhunn 18yo

-
Cask 2
Red berries, sweet wine and a flash of pear drops. Lighter than the Old Pulteney but a very lovely warm depth here. Sugared almonds and a whisp of moke before a little white pepper. Water brings out a softer floral note and bubblegum, then butterscotch and more fresh red fruit.
Mmmmm. Cherry jam then a fleeting taste of lightly toasted brown bread. Madeira cake then Christmas pudding with tons of raisins.
Long. Chocolate then salt and pepper, then a return to the chocolate - no, ooh wasn't expecting this - chilli chocolate.
I need to find out about this. I don't know anything of it, but I loved it. There's no heaviness to it but it's bursting with rich warm flavours. It's a lovely warm blanket to be wrapped up in, by a roaring log fire.
-

18 Years Old
57.2%
-

-
-
yep
nope
Glencairn
-

TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi Treacle :roll:

The Balvenie Rum Cask is also very nice and I think a bit more christmassy than the portwood, I found the portwood a little too dry and harsh.

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Heya Matt. I've been after a taste of the rum cask for months now, but keep missing it. I did the same last year with the Springbank rum cask - thought it'd be something I'd really like but just never got round to buying it :headbang:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 am

TreacleSponge wrote:Well here I am, beyond fashionably late I think :oops: Couldn't make it last night but I can't miss out on these festivities, so I'll have a root around and see what I can bring along...

As I see it it's twelve days of Christmas! :mrgreen: So I'll be posting my Christmas drams here all the way up to the 25th.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:59 am

Christmas Drams, heavy, sherried, fruit cake, mulled wine, gingery, spicy or anything else that reminds you of Christmas.

Another style of a Christmas dram IMHO is something old and the oldest whisky I have opened atm is my next Xmas dram,

Highland Park 32yo 1973 Lorne MacKillop Sherrywood 43% ABV

N: Light Sherry, heather and slightly smokey
P: Slightly creamy and lightly sherried. Nutmeg and medium peat
F: Medium length, flowery and peaty

A wonderful HP!

Cheers!
Ho Ho Ho!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:55 am

And now for something a bit more sherried...

Brora 26yo 1977 Douglas Laing Old & Rare Platinum Selection 54.9% ABV

N: Heavy sherry, flowery and some peat smoke.
P: Full and robust, sherry (slightly sweetened) and peaty
F: Long and sweetly spiced, very late almost a peated sugary aftertaste

A great Brora! If my other Brora's are as good I'll be a happy guy!
A malt for Christmas cookies?

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:11 pm

Collector57 wrote:Just checked. They still have it. It's in the "Non Attributable Single Malts" section.
The story is fun too

Thanks for that, found it. Tempting :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Dram fine idea » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi folks, I know this is ridiculously late, but here's my tuppence worth on two festive drams. If anyone would like a sample, please PM me. Cheers!

Old Pulteney, Gordon & MacPhail, Distilled 15/10/1990, Bottled 26/05/2006, 15 years, Cask No 5469, First Fill Sherry Butt, 59.0% abv

Glass - Glencairn
Nose - Sherry, rubber, hints of cough medicine, something dark/offkey and not quite right, but appealing nonetheless
Taste - Without water, even taking into account the high strength, I find this gentle, sweet, fruity, fruit cake, has a big full on intense mouthfeel, oranges, dark chocolate, sherry, touch of spice
Finish - Short to medium, warming in a gentle fashion, continuation of the same flavours, hints of rubber in the context of an excellent dram
Comment - For me, the nose and the medium finish do not take away from a gentle, great tasting whisky. I felt no water was required at all. Honestly, tasted blind, I could not state for a fact this was OP, but it's great whisky all the same, and I think the same comment could be applied to many heavily sherried drams. I found that this was a bottle I would reach for at the end of a good day, pour a dram and think things through, an encouraging sign. Treacle Sponge has also posted notes on this one up above.

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, Cask 2:35, Glenlivet, Distilled March 1976, Bottled February 2001, 24 years, 61.0% abv

Glass - Glencairn
Nose - Sherry (pronounced and definite), dark chocolate, fruit loaf, rubber, oranges, cinnamon, wood, slightly medicinal
Taste - Sweet, gentle, sherry, touch dry at first, spice, oranges, fruit cake, full on intense mouthfeel, rubbery, oily and then juicy towards the end
Finish - Short to medium with more of the same flavours, and a wee medicinal characteristic (along the lines of Covonia cough medicine) at the end
Comment - Armchair whisky of the highest order. Merry Christmas indeed. A definite rival to OP cask 5469. Every time I try this I find something new, which must be a good thing - till the next time, cheers!
Dram fine idea
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder