Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Talisker - 10th January 2009 - 7pm GMT

Talisker - 10th January 2009 - 7pm GMT

Postby Matt2 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Welcome to the Talisker Live Forum Tasting.

The Whiskies

Date and Time

• Saturday 10th January 7:00pm GMT

Handy Links

Start time - 7:00pm GMT

About...
For those of you who do not know what these are about, they run for generally 12+ hours and we all sit down (at various times) to taste a range of whiskies and share our notes and comments on the forum. Have a look in the Live Tasting forum for past events.

They are a great way to meet people on the forum, chat about your experiences and learn something new about the whiskies you have, and we all end up having a good time.

Please feel free to join in and post any comments or tasting notes you have. Tasting notes can be added using the Tasting Note tab on the postings page. (Note, the Age field on the tasting must be a number such as 7,9,10,18)

We look forward to seeing you on Saturday evening...

Click Here
Matt2

Re: Talisker - 10th January 2009 - 7pm GMT

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi C57, great notes.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Yep, just lining up my glasses...
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:06 pm

OK, starting with the 10..

Talisker 10yo 45.8%
Nose: Salty iodine, kippers then butterscotch. Quite oaty.

Palate: Hospitals and pepper with a hint of caramels.

Finish: Extra strong mints and pepper then becomes sweeter.

Headstrong and peaty and peppery and sweet: an excellent combination.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Just have one Talisker, an 18 yo nothing else. :cry:
Recently finished two fantastic samples from Rene and Stuart, Talisker 57° and the 62% 20yo.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Next up, the Distillers Edition

Talisker DE 1993 45.8%

Nose: More depth than the 10yo. Much sweeter, with vanilla fudge and sweet lemon as well as the clean medicinalness. Hmm, I need to find a better word.

Palate: Mmm, more of that fudge. The heat builds with pepper.

Finish: Pepper and chewy dark chocolate toffee.

I prefer this to the 10. Sweeter, but that doesn't swamp the clean peat or spicy kick.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Finally the 18.

Talisker 18yo 45.8%

Nose: Elastoplast, bitter marmalade oranges, slightly minty.

Palate: Blue cheese, nuts, marzipan, bandages and iodine. Beeswax and staircase varnish.

Finish: Almonds and battenburg cake in front of a layer of TCP that is more assertive than the nose suggests.

Oodles of goodness in this glass. Is my palate broken or can all those flavours really be in there, sitting together so comfortably? I'd better pour another just to make sure :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Nice notes Everyone, and thanks Nick for starting things off. I had unexpected company at the house, so I'll be doing some notes later this evening on the 10yo. :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Stating with Talisker 10. I just opened this one which was bottled on the 245 day of 08.

N: starts with crushed pepper, peat, and a faint sherryness (but it could just be my imagination). Has a strong smell of the ocean or fresh caugh fish.

P: An explosion of pepper, salt, and some peat. I am still getting a faint sherryness. Hmm is there any sherry casks in the 10?

F: still pepper rolling over the taste buds, but adding some asian spices, and a hint of lemon.

A lot like I remember, tons of pepper and salt. A great winter dram.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:54 pm

Hello everyone. Just returned from doing some work. After clean-up, I'll join in with the 175th.

As Ryan has stated, great notes everyone.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bjorn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Sadly, I've just got a bottle of the 18 here, or rather, I've just got one dram left in my bottle of 18. Time to buy another Talisker.

Nose: Toasted nuts, walnuts? Almonds? Toasted oak. Vanilla sweetness tempered by iodine. Malt. Candied ginger with a little orange marmalade? Bananas. Whiff of smoke, hint of black pepper.

Palate: Here comes that malt and marmalade, sweetness, toasted oak, and vanilla on the outset, which fades into a powerful smack of iodine, seaweed, ending on smoke.

Finish: Long lingering black pepper, smoke, iodine, seaweed, but with a definite cloying butterscotch sweetness.
After a drop of water the butterscotch changed to iodine. Am I losing it?

Wow, what a beauty of a malt. Probably the best interchange of flavors that I've gotten from anything. While the 10 is a rough and tumble beauty, the 18 wins points for nuance without sacrificing too much power. The DE is very nice, imho, but it's got nothing on the 18. Still wish I had the other 2 around for an hthth.

-Bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:18 pm

Talikser 175th, large brandy glass.

Nose: honey roasted peanuts, cinnamon, cedar dust, melted wax
Palate: heathery, honey, mild pepper, waxy feel
Finish: long, warming, sweet and peppery

Now just a touch of water.

Nose: cereal notes really come out, parafin, honey
Palate: oily peanut butter, just a hint of pepper
Finish: medium length, sweet-honey

I think I prefer the no water for this but a touch of water is still good.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Ganga wrote:Talikser 175th, large brandy glass.

Gee I usually mispell it as Talsiker not Talikser - you been drinking?
:D
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Also, if anyone cares to vote for the distilleries for the rest of the year, please do so as I plan to ship over the information to Matt tomorrow. It seems like it would be a good idea to set a date for each month. My first thoughts are the third full weekend of each month. Anyone have anything to say on this?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:27 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Ganga wrote:Talikser 175th, large brandy glass.

Gee I usually mispell it as Talsiker not Talikser - you been drinking?
:D
Musky

Yep, I'm really slow to turn letters around. :P
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Sadly my Tallie DE is gone so I've only the Tallie 10 (older cream colour map box)
Colour: Molten simmering gold
Nose: Brimstone and honey. Firey somewhat like what I supect Lava would smell like. There is a briskness to the nose, somehow refreshing imparted by the iodiney seaweedishness of the nose.
Palate: Sweet then spicy then fire erupts and blossoms onto the tongue.
Finish: The tip of the tongue starts to simmer with the heat while a lovely caramel like quality descends on the middle of the tongue. The salivary glands then start to react and the lips a hint of burning while the peppery finish makes itself known. Then it sears its way down to warm the cockles of my heart and make fire in the belly!
Musky comment: This candidate has improved beyond what memory recalls. I really should buy a newer rendition of the bottle to do a HTH.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Now Talisker 1992 DE

N: raisins, almonds, slight pepper and peat. A hint of wax as well.

P: Loads of sherry, marzipan, almonds, raisins, and a little pepper

F: Now the pepper comes through, kind of like a raisin that had pepper dumped on it. Lingers with some sherry sweetness.

Both the 10 and the DE had a little heat but it could be because I haven't had a drink since New Years eve. I have one more Talisker left the 25yo but I will have a little snack and then come back and post notes.

Nice notes MP

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:08 am

Collector57 wrote:Seaweedishness? Great word Musky!

That's what a Volvo is isn't ? :wink:

Sorry for not posting tonight , had a bit of a busy day with work this morning and a meal tonight . Bit knackered....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:57 am

Now onto my final Talisker

Talisker 25yo 2004 release refill casks 57.8%

N: light sherry, mocha, worn leather, mint, brussel sprouts. It seems to be all over the place but it manages to come together quite nicely.

P: entry is slighty sweet and thick then turns spicy (reminds me of spices found in thai cuisine), peppery, and a dash of salt.

F: the leather comes back with some mocha. The trademark pepper and salt are mixed in with some sherry sweetness. The finish is very long and last 1 min. plus.

One of the best whiskies that I have had, and a wonderful way to end a night.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Klas » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Great notes everyone.
I certainly look forward to taste the Talisker 18 in the future after having read C57, Bjorns and TreacleSponges notes for it.
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Ganga wrote:Also, if anyone cares to vote for the distilleries for the rest of the year, please do so as I plan to ship over the information to Matt tomorrow. It seems like it would be a good idea to set a date for each month. My first thoughts are the third full weekend of each month. Anyone have anything to say on this?

That works for me Ganga, I do think it should be the same approx. date each month, so it's easier to remember, so the 3rd full weekend works for me.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:50 pm

I got tied up a bit last night with some friends over to visit, that came really unexpected, but it was very nice to see them. I did take a moment to do some notes on my only Talisker bottling, the 10yo OB.

Talisker 10yo OB 45.8%

Glass: SMWS glass

Nose: Nice and sweet, hints of peat, malt and some seaweed.

Palate: Very rounded, nice balance of malt, sweet sea salt, and a hint of wood smoke, all along with some pepper that's just right.

Finish: Medium to long finish, of pepper, light wood smoke, and sweet dark fruits.

Comment: I've always liked Talisker, and the 10yo is one I always keep around the house. Clearly it's time to track down a Talisker 57 Deg and a 25yo OB. Thanks for the notes on these Nick & Sean! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:13 pm

You are correct Nick. Even the Lagavulin (limited different bottlings) was something like three pages. In part, those that did taste Talisker on Saturday were doing so at different times. Therefor, there was little discussion, just notes on what each individual was tasting. I hope to retry my 175th tonight using a completely different glass to add to these notes.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby LagaDrinker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Sorry I didn't post guys I got called into work and I am on shift now. I hope to post something tomorrow when I can finally dram. Or is that too late?
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Excellent, I am going to have a dram on the 10 tomorrow night so I will post then
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Dram fine idea » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi folks, sorry I'm late, great notes so far.
I only have one Talisker at the moment, the 10yo

Talisker 10yo OB 45.8% abv
Nose - mainly pepper with hints of sherry
Taste – coastal tangy edge, extremely peppery, spicy, rich, full mouth-feel, lively
Finish – more of the same with tar and peat – like a big hug on a cold day
Comment – Definitely a dram for this time of year, absolutely gorgeous. I used to find the 10yo too powerful and prefer the 18yo which I considered to be more rounded – hence the 18yo is finished. However, I really enjoy this 10yo and am glad I opened the bottle. Sometimes other 10yo Talisker’s taste slightly fishy but not this one.

PS I'm ok with the third weekend of the month for future tastings.
Dram fine idea
Bronze Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:19 am

I only have the 175th Anniversary open now, but here's notes I've made of some others.

Talisker 10yo 45.8% abv

Color: Nectar

Nose: Homemade jelly, hint of a distant fire, honeysuckle, bay leaves, seaweed, salt

Palate: Smoke, cooked sugar, dried celery/chives, Blackened steak
Body: Oily, but thin

Finish: Peppery, long, and forceful

Notes: With water: a woodsy note with a mellower sweetness in the aroma; the taste just flattens the pepper and smoke to no improvement, stick to neat. This distillery has really grown on me over the years. A random day notes a beguiling nose and much deeper flavor, now I know why this distillery holds such a special place with me. Today it’s a 90

Score: 87/90

-----

Talisker 18yo 45.8% abv

Color: Apricot gold

Nose: Soft, light smoke, sea-shore, delicate floral sweetness (honeysuckle, lavender?), caramel, honey

Palate: Wooden warehouse, salty air, stony ash, powerfully sweet, tart middle, green tea

Body: Rich, stinging liveliness

Finish: Peppery burn (green chili’s), lingering until it fades out gradually to a hint of smoky dryness

Notes: A lot going on in the nose, so much in fact it will take a while to fully explore. The palate is equally elusive in its defining flavors. Great quality malt that has me stumped. This one will definitely be a challenge, A preliminary score will have to do for now. Revise: Getting lost in the nose today moves this up a notch above the 10yo; it just has an extra elegant quality of sweet, smoky goodness. You know it’s a good malt when the empty glass is a pleasure to nose.

Score: 89

-----

Talisker 1992 Distiller’s Edition, Double Matured in Amoroso Sherry 45.8% abv

Color: Amber gold

Nose: Stone fruit (apricot, peach), Sherry, wood note, spice/smoke note
Palate: Sweet, tangy, tart, spicy middle, fruit richness, sherry, wood

Body: Brisk, firm, lively

Finish: Long, drying, stony, spicy pepper trail keeps surging to the end

Notes: Very flavorful palate that defies the light gentle nose. For someone who enjoys the smell as much as the taste I hesitate to say it lacks just a little bit, but there are no surprises. Pleasant and true to tradition. With a splash of water: Subtler fruit and wood notes in the aroma; it takes the edge off the spice in the taste and depending on the mood that could be good or not. Revise: the culmination of all positive flavors boost this from 87 to 89.

-----

Talisker 25yo bottled in 2004, 21,000 bottles, bottle #18827, #18824, #19022 refill cask, 57.8% abv

Color: Light gold

Nose: Dusty books, distant fire, wet peat, mustard seed, pecan pie, buttered toast, stony, wood, celery stalk, green leaves

Palate: Sweet, then a Szechuan pepper explosion, spicy tang builds in the middle, an exhalation of billowing smoke with an oak backbone

Body: Effervescent, silky and dry at the same time

Finish: Mildly drying, yet powerfully strong as it takes a salty fade

Notes: So much complexity that I’ll probably revise these notes at each tasting. This is so powerful in a way that controls every element with ease. With a splash of water: a hay/dried bracken aroma with custard in the air; the taste is a sweeter, calmer version of it all. Kind of reminds me of the 18yo now with more of a mint flavor in the finish.

Score : 94

-----

Talisker 20yo, Limited Edition '81-'02, 9000 bottles, #422, Sherry Cask, 59.7% abv

Color: Garnet

Nose: Sherry, spice, wet oak, tobacco, earthy/herbal, pepper, mint, stony dry effect like raw cocoa, oats or granola cereal, faint smoky note like a long dead campfire, fisherman’s wharf

Palate: Sweet, then enormous wood spice, a dampness like a cellar floor, an off-note of perfume, ashy, old leather

Body: Firm, bracing, Bourbon oiliness

Finish: The black pepper notes turn to cayenne and never lets go the clench

Notes: The nose just keeps exposing itself at each sniff. A little astringent at first it opened up nicely. The taste initially very Macallan-like, with intense sherry influence which completely obliterates any smoke hint, but with the trademark Talisker pepper hitting its stride. With a splash of water: A rainy day in the forest aroma; taste is much tamer, but has a cardboard aftereffect and still too dry a finish. The score reflects a fresh bottle and may revise, but as of now a bit disappointed despite the intensity, not the most enjoyable. Revise: as I make my way through the bottle, the detracting elements actually give a sense of complexity that I’ve come to appreciate, even though not in a favorite profile kind of way, but just for the unique ability to create something a bit different. I will up the score from an initial 82 to 89, which reflects more the quality. Revise2: At the very end of the bottle an extreme bitter note consumed the profile, but I left the score alone to address the unique quality that was there for the majority of the contents.

-----

Talisker 175th Anniversary Edition 45.8% abv

Color: Tarnished gold

Nose: Old smoky campfire, stewed fruits (peaches, pears, apples), herb butter, light honey hint, canvas, antique furniture, stony minerals, dried flowers, driftwood, rose stems, old books with cotton/leather binder, seashore and barnyard

Palate: Billowing fireplace smoke, aged oak, captivating sweet/herbal middle, dry spice next (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger), then earthy spices (bay, thyme, cumin), salt and pepper, then a more sweet mesquite smoke note, and candy cane/spearmint tail

Body: Oily, thick texture, super long legs down the glass

Finish: Fresh parsley, smoked salmon with herb/honey butter delicately trail off

Notes: One of the most complex aromas I’ve ever experienced in a Single Malt. Or I’m just having a good nose day. No, the palate is just as nice. With qualities of the Laphroaig 30yo, this deserves high praise indeed. With a splash of water: a melding of grilled pineapple and coal smoke strike a chord in the aroma; taste is oh so alluring with the sum of all the parts in play. There has to be some older stock in here for all this palate dancing. I especially like the way the smoke morphed so many times from campfire, fireplace, mesquite BBQ, smoked fish to coal stove.

Score : 92
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:53 am

Great notes Jimidrammer. I wish that I had got a chance to try the 20yo done in the sherry cask.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 am

I am going to try the Talisker 10 in a different glass. Yesterday I used the Riedel SMS and today I will use my riedel bourbon glass.

N: Seems extra peaty, with some sherry undertones. Lots of salt, and just a hint fresh cut wood.

P: Sweet (sherry, malt, and a little lime) and peat initially drown out everything, but finally salt and pepper break though.

F: now the pepper really hits, with some salt, and raisin. Finish lingers for a while.

Different glass changed it a little. I need to try this some time in a cognac glass.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby TheTross » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:31 am

I couldn't make this last night, so I'll do a note or two now. Starting with T10 (2006 bottling) - notes to follow.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:55 am

Talisker 10yo

From a tulip nosing glass.

Nose: Seafood and a little brine and seaweed. Gently oaky and peaty.
Something almost creosote-like appears after a few seconds. Tabasco sauce. Lemony, but more like Jif lemon juice rather than the real deal.

Palate: A little fishy again. Quite dry and peaty, with a little smoke
wafting in and out. Gentle notes of fish sprinkled with salt and a good dose of pepper. Also a delicate layer of sherry.

Finish: Quite smoky, a little woody and lightly peppered. Sherry makes itself known shortly after, which lingers and is joined by citrus and hints of Tabasco sauce and dark chocolate.

The nose conjures up images of sitting on a newly-painted bench on the seafront on a cold, breezy day, but the main reason I love this whisky is for the notes of Tabasco sauce and the lemon that seems to run throughout. I'd recommend this to anyone!
Last edited by TheTross on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:01 am

Tross,

I got some Sherry taste with the Tali 10, do you know if they use any Sherry casks in the blending? Thank you

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby TheTross » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:20 am

pkt77242 wrote:Tross,

I got some Sherry taste with the Tali 10, do you know if they use any Sherry casks in the blending? Thank you

Sean

Yes - a mixture of bourbon and sherry casks are used.

Now onto T18.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:30 am

Last one tonight:

Talisker 18

Nose: Spicy, peppered seafood. Light oak. A little sherry, chocolate and golden syrup. Tabasco sauce. Honey and a very faint touch of mint. Citrus fruit. Something very slightly yeasty in the background.

Palate: Sweet, oily and fairly briny. Honey and quite sherried. Some pepper kicks in soon after.

Finish: Some peat smoke. Leathery? Pepper, sherry sweetness and lemon.

Richer on the nose than the 10yo, but overall I think I prefer the raw power that the 10 has to offer.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:50 pm

I was out playing at a 60th party on Saturday. Doubly sorry to miss this, as me and mrs RB are not drinking this month. :evil: Our annual "detox". We begin our "retox" on my birthday early Feb. :P

so the Talis stand proud and undrunk...the 10, 18, and 57 degrees.

Great notes though, everyone!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder