Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Live Tasting - Glen Grant September 18-20

Live Tasting - Glen Grant September 18-20

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:44 am

Well folks it's Glen Grant this month. I know, you just can't find something released by the distillery. That's ok. Bring an independent bottle.

I look forward to seeing what everyone brings to the table for this under-rated distillery.

Slainte!
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Live Tasting - Glen Grant September 18-20

Postby Wave » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:14 pm

If I was home I'd have a nice Glen Grant 16yo Signatory CS (refill sherry) to open, here in Kirkwall however I have yet to find a pub with any Glen Grant not to mention the iffy internet service. :cry: . Better luck next month.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:00 am

That's cool Wave. Next month then. I'll check to see if any of our southwestern folks are out later tonight.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Sadly Im not in the house either. I'm down in Port Patrick and having trouble finding a bar with Glen Grant in the same way that Wave is. Maybe Ill find one later but it's not looking good at the moment.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Sadly Im not in the house either. I'm down in Port Patrick and having trouble finding a bar with Glen Grant in the same way that Wave is. Maybe Ill find one later but it's not looking good at the moment.
Willie JJ

Postby Wave » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:51 pm

I haven't found a Glen Grant in these parts, so I'll do an Indie instead.
(just tasted less than a half hour ago)

Highland Park 40yo 1967 John Scott & Miller
47.1% Alc/Vol

Color: Deep Walnut
Nose: Caramel and Rum Raisin ice cream
Palate: Woody, but with lots of sweet sherry intertwined
Finish: Long and spicy with a late salt spray

Except for it's price (15 quid a dram!) I could have sucked on this all night!
A wonderful well-aged whisky!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:08 pm

Very nice Wave. :thumbsup: I got roped into Cub Scout stuff this morning and just got back and likely need to go back out shortly. I'm too hot to dram at this point but plan to come out later tonight. Hopefully the AZ contingent are up for a few drams.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:56 pm

I don't have much to offer here just the infamous Glen Grant 5yo. I always have a bottle on hand for those who really don't care about whisky but want to drink something with the word "scotch" on the label. Just dreadful stuff! Those of you who have finished an entire bottle know what I'm talking about. Almost nothing in terms of flavor, no finish, very grainy and weak. Italty abounds with the 5yo and it is definitely not my budget whisky choice. Glen Grant is supposed to have produced some fantastic older bottles, but I have never tried them.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:09 pm

I absolutely agree with your sentiments about the Glen Grant 5yo Ardbeg311, it's no wonder why my Italian brethren mix it with Coke! :o :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 am

I have a bottle of Scott's Selection Glen Grant 1977 26yo sherry wood that I need to break out. It is sad that there has not been a single tasting note yet for Glen Grant :( . Give me a few minutes and I will try to rectify that (I just finished dinner and need to give my palate a couple of minutes to reset itself).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:12 am

Here we go

Scott's Selection Glen Grant 1977 26yo Sherry wood

Scott's Selection
Glen Grant
A great nose of figs, walnuts, raisins, and some dry leaf. Also some notes of wood shavings. A hint of cinnamon after a minute or two in the glass.
Cinnamon raisin bread? very nice. Maybe toasted cinnamon raisin bread. Also the figs and walnuts show up. Wood brings certain dryness to it.
finish is all figs and walnuts with a dash of white pepper.
Overall a very enjoyable whisky and reasonably priced too.
-

26 Years Old
55.4%
-

Single Malt
-
None
None
-
-

Please do not reproduce or copy this tasting note without permission.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Great notes Sean. That is a lovely beverage. At some point in the near future, I do have a Glen Grant to share.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:24 pm

There's a shocking lack of notes on this thread. I'll try to find one or two.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Glen Grant G&M distillery label 1990-2009 40%

Nose: Oranges, pears, a slight nuttiness and a bit of soap that I've never noticed in GG before. The soap is clearing now and the dram is opening up. Tangerines and kiwi fruit. There's some lovely beeswax with a drop of honey too.
Palate: Loads of spice. For a distillery famous for its ability to withstand great age this dram is already showing signs of peaking at 19. Nevertheless, it is lovely. Orange barley sugars that charm the palate before the waves of spice come crashing in.
Finish: At first it is all cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg before the malt returns to refresh the ending.
Comment: This bottle is ridiculously cheap for the quality of the whisky. I've tried and bought a number of these G&M Glen Grant bottlings over the years and they are rarely less than good and often really good to excellent. This bottle falls at the better end of the scale. It is feeling the effects of the wood, but despite that and the 40% bottling strength it is fine stuff.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Cadenhead's Glen Grant 14yo, 56.2%, 1993 - 03/2008, 300 bottles

Nose: Apple and pear pie with shortcrust pastry and a dusting of sugar. Quite feinty for a 14yo. Buttermilk, yeast and a hint of honey. A bit of marzipan too.
Palate: Very closed. Not getting much other than spirit and sugar. A drop of water doesn't really crack it. It just starts to taste diluted. It's all about white fruit and feints and musty spice. Nothing particularly bad but nothing terribly stimulating either.
Finish: A spark of sugar befpre the mustiness takes over again.
Comment: Not a great Glen Grant.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:18 am

Scotch Malt Whisky Society 9.35 Glen Grant 17yo, 53.9%, 04/1988 - 07/2005. Thanks to Jobi for this sample

Nose: Ah the Society used to do lots of classy casks like this. Singed toast and strong orange marmalade. Orange boiled sweets, walnuts, light buttermilk and milk chocolate. There's still a sense of feints in the background, but its fine.
Palate: Stewed oranges, barley sugars, icing sugar. Almost no sign of ageing here.
Finish: Now the spice comes, but it is fresh and clean like a rummage through an indian kitchen's shopping bag. The intense orange theme continues to the end.
Comment: This is lovely. I assume it was a cracking oloroso cask and I suspect that if it had been left for a long time this would have matured to greatness. Oh for a return to this kind of cask at the society. There's far too much sulphured rubbish getting bottled these days. Thanks for that sample Michael. It took me a while to get around to it but it was worth the wait.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:31 am

That's all for tonight. I can't find any more Glen Grant's that are open, although I'm sure I've got a sample of the 53yo somewhere so I'll add it in if I find it. I've enjoyed these drams. Ok the Cad wasn't very good but the other two are excellent drams and just reinforce my opinion that if you give GG some age and a decent sherry cask it will return great whisky.
Willie JJ

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder