Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"Keep the Peat Logs Burning" January Live Tasting

Re: "Keep the Peat Logs Burning" January Live Tasting

Postby Ganga » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:57 am

I think that was the recent one I finished Sean. It really needed time to open up.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:00 am

AdamMY wrote:I visited my Parents and Grandmother this weekend, as last week Monday my grandmother took a fall and gashed her head. She is doing well now, but its when things like that happen that you realize you really need to spend more time with loved ones.

So this upcoming week I will try and contribute notes for The Black Bottle, McClelland's Islay, and Bowmore Legends.

Hope she feels better Adam. I will pour some of my wonderful L6 Ardbeg Uigeadail for her. Post your notes whenever you get a chance. Best wishes
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:01 am

White Horse 12, blend

glencairn
Nose: smokey malt, lemons, polished oak
Palate: more oak furniture, lemons, wax, smoke
Finish: short, earthy smoke
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:14 am

Ok folks, I'm done for the night. Please join in when you can. It is my understanding that some of the folks will be back out tomorrow.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:42 am

Last one for the night (and whisky number 10 for the night)
Ardbeg Uigeadail L06 271

N: Big notes of sherry and tar. Some peat, walnuts, cashews and dates.
P: Huge sherry notes. Tar and peat. Walnuts, leather (more old musty leather), figs and cherries. Some salt and smoke (pipe).
F: Medium long on sherry, tar, peat and smoke.

A great balance between sherry and peat. The best of 3 bottles of Uigeadail that I have had.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Alzarius » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:56 am

I stared at the big glass box for a while, deciding whether I should open it. I think I was afraid I would end up liking it so much that I would go and buy another bottle or two to keep. Alas, I pulled it out, and unwrapped the wax seal. And while I was at it, I decided to turn on one of my favorite soundtracks- On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Escape from Piz Gloria. Ahhhh...... yes.......

This is the Compass Box Flaming Heart Tenth Anniversary (Third Edition) 48.9%alc.

First, I read somewhere that the bottle label smells interesting too... so I took a sniff of that. Yes, definitely interesting. It reminds me of some paper smell I used to know from way back in elementary school- some parchment thing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's oddly familiar. I like it!

Color: gold, not too pale, not too dark. Just.... gold
Nose: Smoke.... kind of like Lagavulin smoke (though I know this is supposed to have CI in it) but has a distinctive chlorine (definitely swimming pool) brinyness to it.
Palate: Oily, some vanilla, cereal, toffee
Finish: Peat, tar, gentle spice, sweet cereal lingering.

I REALLY like this. The balance is just awesome. My first Compass Box and I'm impressed. :thumbsup:
Alzarius

Postby dramtastic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:02 am

Montgomeries Clynelish 32YO 1974 43%

Nose: Brine, pine, pear, lemon, varnish and a little smoke.

Palate: Very tangy like sherbert, toffee, peanuts, peat and smoke.

Finish: Is quite short, with toffee, macadamia, smoke and a little dry and then bitter.

At least on this tasting it's not as good as the first half of the bottle seemed.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:12 am

Alzarius wrote:I stared at the big glass box for a while, deciding whether I should open it. I think I was afraid I would end up liking it so much that I would go and buy another bottle or two to keep. Alas, I pulled it out, and unwrapped the wax seal. And while I was at it, I decided to turn on one of my favorite soundtracks- On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Escape from Piz Gloria. Ahhhh...... yes.......

This is the Compass Box Flaming Heart Tenth Anniversary (Third Edition) 48.9%alc.

First, I read somewhere that the bottle label smells interesting too... so I took a sniff of that. Yes, definitely interesting. It reminds me of some paper smell I used to know from way back in elementary school- some parchment thing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's oddly familiar. I like it!

Color: gold, not too pale, not too dark. Just.... gold
Nose: Smoke.... kind of like Lagavulin smoke (though I know this is supposed to have CI in it) but has a distinctive chlorine (definitely swimming pool) brinyness to it.
Palate: Oily, some vanilla, cereal, toffee
Finish: Peat, tar, gentle spice, sweet cereal lingering.

I REALLY like this. The balance is just awesome. My first Compass Box and I'm impressed. :thumbsup:

Nice notes. Glad to have you join us on here.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:13 am

dramtastic wrote:Montgomeries Clynelish 32YO 1974 43%

Nose: Brine, pine, pear, lemon, varnish and a little smoke.

Palate: Very tangy like sherbert, toffee, peanuts, peat and smoke.

Finish: Is quite short, with toffee, macadamia, smoke and a little dry and then bitter.

At least on this tasting it's not as good as the first half of the bottle seemed.

I hate when that happens, hopefully the rest of the bottle is more like the first half of it.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:26 am

Hart Brothers Caol Ila 10 1996 46%

Nose: Diesel, car mechanics workshop, lemon, honey, shrooms.

Palate: Savoury(pepper)/sweet(honey) combo. Diesel engine dipstick coated in honey, lemon and chocolate. Some nuttyness as well. Thick earthy peat.

Finish: Medium length with basically the flavours from the nose and the thick earthy peat.

Very tasty. Such a consistatly good distillery.
dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:57 am

Hart Brothers Laphroaig 10 1996 52.9%

Nose: Looking for a typical Laph medicinal nose, this ain't the place. Butterscotch, lime, varnish, stewed apples, tabasco, licorice, corned silverside. Take your time with this one, it's subtle but very complex. Now there's a little diesel and lemon.

Palate: Nice creamy mouth feel. The smoke from a fishing trawler diesel exhaust wafting over the deck and picking up the fish smells. Salt and pepper. Tabasco. Drying starfish(yeh I've never used that in a tasting note before either). Dark chocolate and diesel. Ashtray.

Finish. Looooooooooooooooooong! Gosh I'm even finding some vanilla on the nose now. Hang on..........well hello mint and tobacco leaf.

This is outrageous and I love it. Eccentric but somehow it works. I actually don't believe my notes have done this whisky justice. The best Islay I've had, could be! For 55 bucks in Australia which is 10 cheaper than HP12 for instance, this is better than many whisky's I've had for triple the price. In my books this is an effin superstar!
dramtastic

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 am

dramtastic wrote:Hart Brothers Laphroaig 10 1996 52.9%

In my books this is an effin superstar!

You liked it then? :wink:

That was great fun last night. I need to decide if I'm going to continue with the Caol Ila tonight or if 'm going to try some other stuff. Decisions decisions. :D
Willie JJ

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:18 pm

haven't been able to do anything for this months tasting due to 2 Burns Meals and getting the New February "A Whiff of Peat Smoke" up on my site . Will see what happens later.....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:haven't been able to do anything for this months tasting due to 2 Burns Meals and getting the New February "A Whiff of Peat Smoke" up on my site . Will see what happens later.....

It would be good to see you later Gordon. I have to go and get a bit of shopping in now but, ...

I'll be back :)
Willie JJ

Postby johan brugge » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Bruichladdich 2003 Super Heavily Peated 46 %.

Nose: Peat of course, but less than you would expect. A little bit of smoke, something sweet. Wet moss and 'wet dog'. Sounds funny, but still... With some water there is a lot more peat.

Palate: OMG!! Very peaty at first indeed, some smoke but it remains a 'gentle' attack. It's a very oily whisky. I almost have to chew this one before I can swallow it down. It's lovely peated but it's not as 'in your face' as the 3D3 Norrie Campbell Tribute. Behind all that peat I find some fresh cake and maltiness too.

Finish: rather short if you ask me. Again a lot of peat and smoke, salt and rather dry.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Expression - SMOS 10yo Caperdonich Heavily Peated
Year - 1998
Age - 10yo
ABV - 58.5%
Cask / Bottle No. - Barrel #1277 / 1 of 251
Colour - Pale Gold
Nose - definite peatiness at first on the nose , not heavy though , Smoky bacon crisps , a lemoniness and fresh cut grass .
Palate - quite strong on the palate , a fresh , clean peatiness , slight maltiness and lemon.
Finish - Long , sweet , malty and peaty .
Comments - Dist 04.05.1998 Bott 01.10.2008 . A very good peated Speysider .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Gordon and Johan.

Gordon I tried that Caper recently and it reminded me of nothing so much as salt and vinegar crisps; almost exactly what you got.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi Nick. I'm just getting a glass.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm

I'll break up the Caol Ilas a bit:

Queen of the Moorlands Laphroaig 1996 50.8%, The 'Earl Grey' bottling

Nose: Cigarette ash, tea, Kola Kubes wrapped in elastoplast, tobacco and mango, malt.
Palate: Very ashy, medicinal and very spicy.
Finish: Someone used the sticky side of a plaster to clean an ashtray and then stuck it to my tongue. Aargh! I think there was a lit dog-end in the ashtray.
Comment: Strangely fascinating, but not exactly soothing.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Cadenheads Laphroaig 16yo 55.2% Bourbon hogshead 1994-11/2010

Nose: Smokey lemons and apples with shellfish.
Palate: More lemon and coalsmoke. The peat is gentle and charming.
Finish: Medium length with the smoke coming through more strongly here.
Comment: Nice easy going dram. Nothing to dislike.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 pm

Amrut 100 57.1%

Nose: Hugely complex. Smokey, vaguely fishy, berry fruits, citrus, tannins, malt concentrate and jam.
Palate: Sweet, fruity, spicey bursts, cardomum and cinammon.
Finish: Waves of peaty complexity.
Comment: Superb whisky. Another stunning Amrut.
Willie JJ

Postby johan brugge » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Caol Ila 1984 Samaroli 46 %.

Nose: Peat, some smoke, medicinal and yet somewhat sweeter than the average Islay whisky. Faint citrus in the background (orange peel), fresh heath fragrance. With water: I'm on the beach again. More citrus flavours now, but they're not dominant. Perfect balance.

Palate: Again peat and smoke. Liquorice, a tad of vanilla. Wonderfully complex. It's like a heavily peated Longrow. With water: a bit sweeter, but I don't think it needs water at all.

Finish: Long, softer than the 'heavy hitters' like Ardbeg and Laphroaig. Some salt stays on my lips. After a while there is a kind of sweetness like the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Can't be bad.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 am

Bruichladdich 15yo 1986 Murray McDavid 46 %

Nose: Very gentle peat and little bit of smoke. Seaweed, cereals and a bit of vanilla.

Palate: The same as the nose. Just brilliant!

Finish: Rather short, cereals, sweetish, peaty. I really like this one a lot. Value for money as I payed only 56 € or so last year.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:34 am

johan brugge wrote:Caol Ila 1984 Samaroli 46 %.

Nose: Peat, some smoke, medicinal and yet somewhat sweeter than the average Islay whisky. Faint citrus in the background (orange peel), fresh heath fragrance. With water: I'm on the beach again. More citrus flavours now, but they're not dominant. Perfect balance.

Palate: Again peat and smoke. Liquorice, a tad of vanilla. Wonderfully complex. It's like a heavily peated Longrow. With water: a bit sweeter, but I don't think it needs water at all.

Finish: Long, softer than the 'heavy hitters' like Ardbeg and Laphroaig. Some salt stays on my lips. After a while there is a kind of sweetness like the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Can't be bad.

Sounds amazing Johan. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 am

It certainly is, Sean. It just blew me away.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 am

Hey, good to see you Nick...and Gordon as well as all the rest of you on this rainy Sunday. Nice notes. Peated Caperdonich...how wild.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 am

Lagavulin 14yo Vanilla Sky for The Whisky Fair

I'm not going to write a tasting note because this is first dram of a newly opened bottle. I'll post a note after a few weeks.
At first nosing it is clearly a Lagavulin, only a lot less sweet than the standard 16yo OB. It's almost a nice change. Maybe it's not as complex as one would think but it's more straight forward. Lots of peat, a little less smoke and maritime. The same for the palate. After the first sip I didn't really like it all that much but after a long while it just gets better and better.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:37 am

One more before I'm off again. Not so long ago I tried a sample of Ledaig 2001-2010 61 % The Nectar Of The Daily Drams.

Nose: Very intriguing. Very peaty, smokey and yet there is something sweet like honey or flowers. Really nice. If I didn't know any better I'd say it's an Ardbeg or something like that.

Palate: Again lots of peat, smoke, seaweed, zesty, zingy and again this sweet fruity flavour. It reminds me of a chewing gum called 'Bazooka'. Don't know if you've heard of this. It's a big strongly fruit flavoured chewing gum (mainly on strawberries).

Finish: Very powerfull. Long. Excellent! This is on my wish list for sure.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:55 am

Yup, Bazooka. Used to come in little squares with a powdery sugar coating. It reminds me of the gum that used to come with Topps trading cards (for those old enough to remember it, I believe that the gum was discontinued from the packs in the early 80s).

Intriguing Johan.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:29 am

johan brugge wrote:One more before I'm off again. Not so long ago I tried a sample of Ledaig 2001-2010 61 % The Nectar Of The Daily Drams.

Nose: Very intriguing. Very peaty, smokey and yet there is something sweet like honey or flowers. Really nice. If I didn't know any better I'd say it's an Ardbeg or something like that.

Palate: Again lots of peat, smoke, seaweed, zesty, zingy and again this sweet fruity flavour. It reminds me of a chewing gum called 'Bazooka'. Don't know if you've heard of this. It's a big strongly fruit flavoured chewing gum (mainly on strawberries).

Finish: Very powerfull. Long. Excellent! This is on my wish list for sure.

Johan, you are officially making me jealous. :smoke:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:16 am

Signatory Port Ellen 1979 23yo 43%

N: waxy, sea breeze, honey and smoke. Tangerine, peat and lemon.
P: Very waxy and salty. Some smoke, peaches, peat and a hint of iodine.
F: shortish on wax and salt. Some smoke and white fruits are there as well.

The most waxy whisky I have ever had.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:21 am

I forget everything I read yesterday, but it seems Bowmore is slightly under represented (correct me if I am wrong).

McClelland's Islay
(NAS Bowmore Single Malt)
Color: Light Amber
Nose: Great malt aroma, with slight hints of smoke, and sweet peat. Also incredibly floral with heather and lavender. Dare I say it also has a slight hint of what I've come to associate as toasted oak, with perhaps a slight bourbon note.
Taste: Sweet, with subtle hints of smoke. I can not get past how sweet it is, although today I am picking up some rather off putting notes ( perhaps a bit too much pepper). Though the taste does have a definite marine character, with hints of salt and seaweed. I know I say apples in a lot of my reviews, but this one has hints of a cinnamon apple sauce.
Body: Light and oily.
Finish: Dry and smokey, rather reminds me a bit of breating in second hand smoke through my mouth.
AdamMY

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:24 am

Good evening Adam.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:33 am

Springbank 12yo 175th anniversary 46%

N: gentle smoke, light peat, porridge and brown sugar. Wood varnish, old leather and olives in brine.
P: smoked pork, pears, lemon, and wood varnish. Brown sugar oatmeal? Campfire smoke and s'mores.
F: medium long on campfire smoke, oats and cashews. Some peat, brine and wood varnish.

Very nice and thanks for the sample Bryan
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 am

Cadenhead Clynelish 15yo 63%

N: big lemon, grapefruit and turpentine. Some peat, peaches and salt.
P: very salty on lemon, peat and peaches. A little wax and smoke.
F: long on burning embers, peat and wax. A little citrus as well.

Amazing.
pkt77242
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder