Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The 80s (Feb 25-27, 2011)

Re: The 80s (Feb 25-27, 2011)

Postby johan brugge » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm

A head to head between two Belgians this time.

In the left corner we have the Glenfarclas 1989 15yo (distilled 20.11.1989 and bottled 11.08.2005) single cask for Fisser at 60.2 %.
In the right corner we have the Glenfarclas 1989 14yo (distilled 04.1989 and bottled 10.2003) single cask for De Wit - Overijse at 58.7 %.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE !!!!

Coulour:
For Fisser: burnt amber
For De Wit: dark gold

Nose:
For Fisser: pungent, a bold sherry attack yet it remains 'soft', overripe fruit, raisins, burnt brown suger. It's too sweet and too much on sherry for my taste.
For De Wit: lots of sherry but more delicate, fresh fruit, tanins too. I can't really explain why but I like this one a lot better than the one For Fisser. I can't stop sniffing this one (and then to say that I'am a peat aficionado!!).

Palate:
For Fisser: exactly as in the nose but with a slightly more bitterness (nothing to dislike though!).
For De Wit: still lots of sherry, soft, fruity, some wood too, a bit of pepper, but the balance remains perfect IMHO.

Finish:
Both are long (very long), sweet, very rich. Both are perfectly drinkable at cask strength without adding water. I like the single cask for De Wit much better than the one for Fisser. I know Serge Valentin (and a lot of Flemish whisky lovers too) was really thrilled by the latter one, but I don't care.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:11 pm

One more. A Japanese stunner this time (another one). It's a Yoichi 1986 59 % cask 112112.

Nose: very fruity (bananas and other exotic fruit), sweet, remarkably soft for it's 59 % vol. After a while I smell more wet leaves and a wiff of smoke, smoldering ashes. With a few drops of water I can smell the bananas again but that fades fairly quickly. I pick up a scent but don't ask me what it is. I just can't put my finger on it. There are no unpleasant scents of varnish, wax or anything like that. I find it very intriguing.

Palate: lots of liquorice, tingling, fruity. With some water it's still prickly, but it becomes more oily-like. Again very fruity. I like it!

Finish: prickly, sweet, fruity and tannins

I spent more time with my nose in the glass than with the whisky in my mouth. Very good again.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:37 pm

johan brugge wrote:One more. A Japanese stunner this time (another one). It's a Yoichi 1986 59 % cask 112112.

Nose: very fruity (bananas and other exotic fruit), sweet, remarkably soft for it's 59 % vol. After a while I smell more wet leaves and a wiff of smoke, smoldering ashes. With a few drops of water I can smell the bananas again but that fades fairly quickly. I pick up a scent but don't ask me what it is. I just can't put my finger on it. There are no unpleasant scents of varnish, wax or anything like that. I find it very intriguing.

Palate: lots of liquorice, tingling, fruity. With some water it's still prickly, but it becomes more oily-like. Again very fruity. I like it!

Finish: prickly, sweet, fruity and tannins

I spent more time with my nose in the glass than with the whisky in my mouth. Very good again.

:mrgreen:
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:27 pm

I forgot to post my notes of the Karuizawa 1986 60.7 % (or 60.1 % ?) cask 7387.

Nose: spices, wood, leather, slightly fruity and a wiff of cooked ham. It's a bit hot too, but not that much. I like it (yes, I know, again). It's all DT's fault. He got me started on these whiskies. :mrgreen:

Palate: hot again, spices, mandarins, wood again. With some water it becomes more oily-like. The spices keep coming along with liquorice. It's more dominant than in the nose but it's not over the top.

Finish: long, some tannins, a bit dry too and after a few minutes it becomes a bit more prickly (nothing to dislike though!)

It's a diesel. It starts slow but then it builds up and up ...
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Previous

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder