Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

June 2012, Tasting

Re: June 2012, Tasting

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 pm

OK, I'll be the first one then. That's the first time too. hehe

Macduff 1997 Lord of the Drams 14yo, 50%, refill sherry cask.

Tasted blind (in two sessions):

Nose: Dough. Fresh made dough, so not the smell of warm bread. After a while I smell something sourish. It reminds me of sourdough. And let that be something I`ve never been a fan of. There is a slight trace of peat/smoke. Strange combination for a whisky. (smelling at the sample bottle is NOT very pleasant because of the strong sourish scents)
Palate: Almost identical to the nose, but the sour taste becomes more dominant. Fruity, like unripe currants and lemon zeste. But still that sourdough stays in my mind.
Finish: Well, uhm. It`s consistent with the nose and palate.

Pfooh, not my cuppa ... at all. Not a bad whisky (for some perhaps) but the sour notes really turned me off. My wife (who also likes the smell of whisky) said it smells like sour red wine ...

This is a refill sherry cask???

EDIT: in the blind tasting (on a whisky forum BTW) there were more people that found this one sour so it's not just me.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Glenturret 1977 Malts of Scotland, 34yo, 47.4 %. This is a real short note since I tried a mini sample blind in a whisky shop.

This is a very fruity whisky!! OMG!! The pineapples just jumped into my nose and into my mouth and danced around some more. You like pineapple with a dash of alcohol? Go for it.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47 pm

A bourbon this time. Hope you guys don't mind. Kentucky Vintage 45 %.

Nose: from the moment I open the bottle I smell something familiar. After a few seconds it hits me. Bourbon, truck loads of bourbon, some bananas too. Soap??? Plastic??? Yuk, it`s sooo overwhelming. It reminds me of a Goldlys 1991 bourbon cask but this if far worse. At the second tasting session it was more of the same. Lots of bourbon, soap, detergent, paint and a bit of bananas. YUUKK!!

Palate: again a lot of bourbon. Bitter, soap again. Not good!! With or without water: no difference. At the second tasting session ( a few days later) there was no improvement what so ever.

Finish: unpleasant.

I had no idea what this was but this was just plain disgusting, foul. This is without a doubt (and with a big bright star) on top my S.H.I.T. list ! ! !
Last edited by johan brugge on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:03 am

A Belgian single grain whisky for a change: Goldlys 1991 20yo bourbon wood matured 46 %.

I don`t know what to think of this one. I has matured for 20 years in a bourbon cask ... BUT ...
If there are Flemish or Dutch forum members who know the 1990 Vintage Jenever 43% by Filliers they`ll know what I mean. From the moment I popped the cork a very strong scent of bourbon filled my nose instantly. It resembled sooo much to this jenever that I think it must be the same cask. All I could taste were all the typical characteristics of bourbon. I might as well bought a bottle of real bourbon instead of this single grain whisky. It was way too dominant so I let the bottle breath for about 3 hours before closing it again. Now the bottle is about half full (no, not half empty) and the bourbon influences are less dominant. I can taste more `grain` flavours now, but still ... It`s a pitty that`s all. I wonder what the result would have been when this whisky was matured in a (refill) sherry cask.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Ganga wrote:Obscure Drams.

Trying to get away from the well explored distilleries and into some that have not been explored quite so much. Oddballs like Allt-a-bhaine, Caperdonich, Glenallachie. If you can, Ben Wyvis or Kininvie. You get the picture? :thumbsup:

Ben Wywis is £1K a bottle in G&M!! An expensive tasting indeed! :shock:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby johan brugge » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Miltonduff 17yo 1991 Gordon & Macphail for Van Wees 60.9 % (refill sherry hogshead)

Nose: Hot, sweet. Ripe bananas. With some water I get more spices and herbs, some anise too.

Palate: Hot again, sweet too. With a few drops of water it's like a totally different whisky in my glass. A lot more spices, sweet fruit. Much better, oily. It dangerously quaffable. Even with all the spicyness it stays pleasantly sweet despite the high alcohol percentage.

Finish: Very warming. Long and persistent with again lots of spices (a bit of mint there on the background too??)
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 am

I hope I understood the theme properly.

97/12 SV Blair Athol UCF Cask 2295

Color: In the class a very light straw.

Nose: Hello Flowers, think malted grain cereal, with added honey, right next to a field of wild flowers. Beneath that there is a nice touch of red apples, mango and kiwi.

Taste: I am having the hardest time describing the taste of this one, I want to say floral, and sweet, but its also got a strong white pepper note, and everything kind of fights each other so much its almost lifeless on your tounge, all while burning it.

Finish: Floral perfume, and a heck of a lot of it.

I sure hope this gets better.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:07 am

99/09 GM Dufftown Cask 8787 56.4% ABV.

Nose: Tropical Fruit Punch, ( Mango, pineapple, oranges, coconut heck of a lot of sugar). Slight vanilla character, with a touch of caramel, and malt.

Taste: Tropical fruit candies, with a touch of citric acid. Lots of caramel, hint of cream, and vanilla extract.

Finish: Tropical Fruit Candy syrup, coats everything and leaves a wonderfully sweet taste coating everything.
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:23 am

96/13 SV Glen Elgin Cask 2338

This has the added bonus of being matured in a Virgin Oak Barrel.

Nose: Butterscotch on top of vanillia icecream. With a heck of a lot of malted grains. Also nice touch of Bubblegum

Taste: Matches the nose almost perfectly, with it being a bit heavy on the vanilla, also a nice touch of other spices. Almost like mixing bourbon cask Scotch with a bit of young bourbon, but about 1/3rd or less bourbon to scotch.

Finish: Bubblegum, and spices, with a good bit of butterscotch.
AdamMY

Postby johan brugge » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Glentauchers 35yo 1975 The Whisky Agency 47.3 % bourbon cask.

Nose: Very soft and sweet. Lots of ripe fruit, some varnish and waxy notes (but not in a negative way!) that becomes slighty acid after a while. With water: add ripe bananas.

Palate: Again a lot of sweet fruit. Terribily soft whisky with yet a firm body (almost oily). It's dangerously quaffable! With water: peppery, but for the rest it stays the same. I like it better without the water.

Finish: Long and sweet (again)

Once you let it breath for about 30 minutes it becomes really really good.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Glenburgie 16yo 1991 Gordon & MacPhail 58.2 % refill sherry hogshead.

Nose: First impression is varnish and wax. Hot, slightly sweet but the waxy notes are a bit dominant. After a while I smell nuts. Only for a second. With water: not much different.

Palate: Wow, sherry. And lots of it. Hot pepper, very sweet like honey and a bit fruity. With water it's a lot better. Less on pepper and more on sherry.

Finish: Long, sweet, peppery. With water it's a lot better, even longer and sweeter.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:37 am

95-15 SV Imperial Bottle Only

Cask 50314

Heavy grains on the nose, with a decent bit of wood tannins. A bit of sweetness, mostly coming across as a very well toasted marshmallow. With a bit more time I am getting a little bit more fresh green apple. The taste is very very sweet, but again heavily laden with grains and the toasted marshmallow. It also has the green apples, which in the finish become very prevalent, with a slight hint of cherries too.

A good sweet whisky, not the most complex, but there is nothing offensive or foul about it. A very solid whisky.
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:47 am

1990 G&M Glentauchers 40%

I have no clue as to the year it was bottled. That piece of information is not on this miniature bottle my parents got for me at Loch Fyne Whisky.

N: Very potent, too much alcohol for 40%. Caramel, almonds, and green apples.

T: A lot smoother, though odd to categorize, a hazelnut coffee creamer.

F: Oddly the hazelnut coffee creamer fades into a highly creamed coffee finish, with a hint of the hazelnut persisting through the finish.

Balance: Besides the over powering nose, quite well balanced, but not that complex.
AdamMY

Postby dramtastic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:01 am

pkt77242 wrote:Karuizawa 1985 24yo cask 7017 60.8%
has a lot of sulphur.

Typical of most sherry matured Karuizawa. Give me their non sherried any day!
dramtastic

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder