Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

September 2012 Tasting- Give us your Bourbon...

September 2012 Tasting- Give us your Bourbon...

Postby AdamMY » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:12 am

Alright the focus this month is on whisky that has something to do with bourbon. While obviously Bourbons definitely fit into this category, but it does not stop there. We are also accepting any whisky aged completely in ex bourbon casks.

Why bourbon?

Well its getting close to fall in the Northern Hemisphere and nothing is better than sipping a big glass of bourbon with a cool breeze in the air, looking out at all the wonderful fall colors in the leaves of the trees.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: September 2012 Tasting- Give us your Bourbon...

Postby AdamMY » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:33 am

Four Roses Bourbon ( The basic yellow label).

N: Lots of corn and spices, also a good bit of florals and honey. Decently sweet.

T: Almost like a maple candy, slightly floral still, surprisingly not much spice on the taste.

F: This is where the spice kicks in, but only after the sweetness fades away. Typical bourbon spices, but also a good bit of black pepper to round things out. Sadly its not that long, leaving just a faint hint of a maple syrup finish.
AdamMY

Postby dramtastic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 pm

The Yamazaki Bourbon Barrel (no age statement). 48 per cent alcohol.
Nose: Juicy. Tropical fruit salad infused crisp oak. Vanilla, passion fruit, lychee, pineapple, pear, strawberry, blueberry bagels. Some hay, bran, cane sugar, currants.
Palate: Lovely. Big sweet-spice hit balanced with a little salt. The spicyness gives a bigger mouth feel than The Hakushu Bourbon Barrel. More of the tropical fruit salad with some added butteriness. Pecans and sweet pear.
Finish: Medium on tropical fruits, blueberry bagels, pecan pie, hint of menthol and well integrated oak. Moreish!
dramtastic

Postby AdamMY » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:36 am

Corner Creek Reserve Bourbon

N: Incredible nose tonight. Maple syrup, fresh baked apple pie, caramel apples, and toffee. With a touch more air, lots of cinnamon, and almost like the inside of a carpenters while he is working on a huge project.

T: Loads of apples, touch of spices, but a heck of a lot of candies and maple syrup.

F: Uprfront assault of spices, fading into a nice toasted bread and caramelized sugar note.
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:56 am

The Whisky Whose name I keep paraphrasing differently. Its such a long name.

Old Weller Antique Original 107 Brand

53.5% ABV

N: First thing that really strikes me is the light cherry aroma and burn, I associate with mixed grain whisky. Digging a bit deeper, lots of spices, and almost like inhaling saw dust. I think I am failing at painting a word picture, but its quite rough on the edges, but somewhat alluring.

T: A lot smoother, almost velvety mouth feel, a bunch of spices, some orange cider, a decent bit of wheat flavors, and cinnamon flavored bubble gum. Some more fruits but mostly oranges and cherries, perhaps a touch of peach to go with that too.

F: Cinnamon sugar grahm crackers, and a touch of peaches seasoned with some nice spices (cinnamon and nutmeg).
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:59 am

99-10 Gordon and MacPhail Clynelish cask 312936

I had a bit of a debate about its cask provenence when the bottle was new, expecting it to be some sort of Wine cask. But the people at Binny's assured me that this was ex bourbon, though had previously held some Islay whisky.

N: Seaweed, and candy, lots of candy, salt water taffy, caramel, and an odd touch of tobacco smoke. Nice hint of apples in there too, and a light tropical fruit that I can not identify right now.

T: Again sweet, a sour lemon note, vanilla and coconut, with a bit of salt. Also a touch of peat. I can't really identify much else in there, but it feels like a heck of a lot going on, possibly the contrast of the sour, the sweet, the salt, and the vanilla all in one.

F: Seaweed and salt water, with a good bit of peat, but not much smoke. Oddly sweet, with just a hint of vanilla.
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:20 am

99-09 GM Dufftown Cask 8787 Binnys Select

Ex bourbon all the way.

N: Apples, Pears, Mango, Peaches, Pineapple, Vanilla, and a mid sized tropical islands yearly production of Coconut. If you aren't sure imagine you are smelling a spiked tropical fruit punch.

T: Sweet, and wonderfully fruity. Again tropical fruit punch, with a bit of kick in a pineapple and lemon sort of way. Very good, and very refreshing.

F: Lingering pineapple, with just a hint of oak, and vanilla.
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:05 am

01-09 GM Tomatin Cask 3143 46% 1st fill bourbon barrel.

Nose: Mildly spirity, but good bit of coconut, and malt, with a touch of vanilla, and some nice apple. Not that thrilling, but perhaps a nice touch of some nutmeg to round things out.

Taste: Sweet, soo sweet, with a lot of coconut. Touch of pear also, but so incredibly creamy, with black pepper and some strawberry to create an almost confectionary whisky.

Finish: Lingering strawberries and cream, but the strawberries are the super ripe, and locally grown very sweet red and juicy ones.

I am going to try and make this whisky last awhile, but I swear its like drinking a good dessert.
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 am

99-12 Gordon and MacPhail Reserve Glenallachie cask 501049 61.6% Hand selected by Binnys Ex Bourbon Barrel

Did everyone get that....? I am not sure I want to type all that up again any time soon.

Nose: Light, lots of vanilla, a touch of pineapple, I think this is the alcohol I am smelling to give an almost pine like aroma to it, not the usual aroma I associate with alcohol.

Taste: Ooh, wow, hold on I am going to need a few more sips to try and adequately describe this. Initial impression is sea salt and caramel, giving into cooked and spiced apples, but oddly on the tail end the sea salt comes back in full force with some peaty vegetable flavors.

Finish: Iodine, peat, and a good massive dose of seasalt caramels.

Notes: I like the flavor of salt, but I am half way through my glass and I am almost feeling like this is a whisky version of a salt lick. It's incredibly delicious but the more I drink the more I feel like I just ate a teaspoon of rock salt. Also that pine alcohol smell might be an odd note coming from what seems to be some sort of peat influence.
AdamMY

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder