Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Live Forum Tasting

Re: Live Forum Tasting

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:26 pm

Ganga wrote:What time will the tasting finish up? Can we leave it open for us Pacificinos to add something in the evening? I have the DE and the 175th available.

I'm sure some of us will stick around or reappear after a couple of hours to let the other half of the world join in.

What time do you expect to hit the forum?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Ganga:
Muskrat Portage wrote:... Friday October 19, 2007
Time: 1200 hrs Pacific GMT+8
1400 hrs Winnipeg GMT+5(+DST =6)...

Generally these things run about 3 hours, although the last one was still running after ol' Musky had a nap on the settee in the corner and logged back on 2 hours later.
Theorectically it would finally stall out at around 2000 hours (Winnipeg tiem) which is 2 hours earlier Pacific...right, Ganga?
(It's 1320 now, is it 1120 where you are?)

As was stated above by K-Mile, you pick the time and we'll show up, well... those of us who can still keyboard coherently! I try to refer to Greenwich Mean Time in my posts so you can do the math to figure out the proposed time on your chunk of the globe.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Ganga:
Muskrat Portage wrote:... Friday October 19, 2007
Time: 1200 hrs Pacific GMT+8
1400 hrs Winnipeg GMT+5(+DST =6)...

Generally these things run about 3 hours, although the last one was still running after ol' Musky had a nap on the settee in the corner and logged back on 2 hours later.
Theorectically it would finally stall out at around 2000 hours (Winnipeg tiem) which is 2 hours earlier Pacific...right, Ganga?
(It's 1320 now, is it 1120 where you are?)

As was stated above by K-Mile, you pick the time and we'll show up, well... those of us who can still keyboard coherently! I try to refer to Greenwich Mean Time in my posts so you can do the math to figure out the proposed time on your chunk of the globe.

Muskrat

I expect to only have one or maybe two Taliskers around, but will be happy to hit my Islay's in a second run.

Another time synchronization page:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... sec=0&p1=0

I suspect to kick in again around 1am Amsterdam time
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... sec=0&p1=0

This should provide a pretty clear view of what and when. I suggest we post such a link for each session, making sure everyone gets there on time.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:53 pm

I usually get home around 5:45 PM Pacific. I thought MikeyMad and I could lead the charge for the Far West.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:12 am

Ganga wrote:I usually get home around 5:45 PM Pacific. I thought MikeyMad and I could lead the charge for the Far West.

So you're talking about 1800 your time (which is GMT+8)
by the time your tear off your sports coat and shoes, run to the bar after hitting start on the 'puter and grab a dramming glass.
That's 2000 in Winnipeg and 0300 in Amsterdam/Norge. Gentlemen of the continent, you'd better set your alarms.

Just to confirm, Ganga, it's 2200 hrs here (10 pm) is it 8 pm where you are now?

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:36 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Ganga wrote:I usually get home around 5:45 PM Pacific. I thought MikeyMad and I could lead the charge for the Far West.

So you're talking about 1800 your time (which is GMT+8)
by the time your tear off your sports coat and shoes, run to the bar after hitting start on the 'puter and grab a dramming glass.
That's 2000 in Winnipeg and 0300 in Amsterdam/Norge. Gentlemen of the continent, you'd better set your alarms.

Just to confirm, Ganga, it's 2200 hrs here (10 pm) is it 8 pm where you are now?

Muskrat

According to the table in the second link I posted, 18/6pm in California is 1am in Amsterdam?!
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:29 pm

CA: 5:45 PM Pacific
Mountain: 6:45 PM
Central: 7:45 PM
Eastern: 8:45 PM
Europe: Well, I expect most of you will be long gone. But hey, I usually go quite late with Mikey. Maybe we'll still be up and about when you get up in the morning. :wink:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:32 pm

Okay, I'm online, got the whisky lined up, the glasses ready to be charged and a large tumbler of water to cleanse my palate with.
I'm here: livex1/live.html
a new page coutesy of Matt.
See you in 1/2 hour.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:40 pm

Friday October 19, 2007...

Boy that was a long session. Very interesting to see everyone's notes on the various Taliskers (and followup drams). Looking forward to this again. My suggestion is that it be a Saturday for the Aberlours when we get to this one (February?). I'll start early when we get to this one.

I raise a glass to all.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:02 am

Ganga:
Yeah it was a long tasting, even longer for K-Mile as he was still around when I wound down. I did wander back as a guest after a hot bath, but by then was so sleepy I just took a gander and trundled off.

This was even better than the previous tasting, probably because more people are becoming aware of them. I'm looking forward to the November Glenlivet tasting that Matt is starting to set up. Two weeks to the blind tasting here at my place. 6 attendees, 7 fine and unusual single malts. It will be fun.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Ganga:
Yeah it was a long tasting, even longer for K-Mile as he was still around when I wound down. I did wander back as a guest after a hot bath, but by then was so sleepy I just took a gander and trundled off.

This was even better than the previous tasting, probably because more people are becoming aware of them. I'm looking forward to the November Glenlivet tasting that Matt is starting to set up. Two weeks to the blind tasting here at my place. 6 attendees, 7 fine and unusual single malts. It will be fun.

Muskrat

Good to hear you also get to do real 'live' tastings as well. Can imagine it's even better when being able to share thoughts face 2 face, instead of trying to focus on the screen...

I was trying to get some work done, so it wasn't whisky all the time for me. I am used to staying up late (still young and all, not getting intoxicated long enough...) and only had a few drams, way less than you all had. I only had T10, HP12 and Ardbeg TEN (two of both), and you were having more whiskies, in different kinds of glasses with and without chocolates, first trying them facing north, then facing south, and finally experimenting with the effects of gravity on you dram by hanging upside down ;)

So that accounts for a much heavier evening than I had :D
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm

From Mrs Musky's perspective, it was a drunken binge...two Fridays running, at that! I was quite moderate in my dramming with the two "official*" tastings. However... when I woke up Saturday morning I thought it was Sunday and raced around getting everything done. Couldn't figure out why all the stores were open! Around 2:00 in the afternoon, I realised my error but all the weekend work was done!
:oops:

*(I've attended the first two official onlines, which were actually the second and fourth, no-one at the first but me..then, Christian, I and a few stalwarts showed up at the spontaneous third!).

I'm planning on making it to the next couple onlines this month, which will result in my tasting for three out of four weeks if you include our "intercessional" this coming Friday the 2nd. Wonder how many days I'll lose each weekend this coming month?
:angel: Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:*(I've attended the first two official onlines, which were actually the second and fourth, no-one at the first but me..then, Christian, I and a few stalwarts showed up at the spontaneous third!).

And there was the Wednesday tasting right before the first official one :)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 pm

K-Mile wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:*(I've attended the first two official onlines, which were actually the second and fourth, no-one at the first but me..then, Christian, I and a few stalwarts showed up at the spontaneous third!).

And there was the Wednesday tasting right before the first official one :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Clearly you're both wrong! Peter had a first tasting alone and then came the spontaneous wednesday........... What was that about losing days again :D
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:50 am

I stand corrected. 1 and 2 were, respectively alone and then spontaneously, 3 and 4 were the official live uns!

We set up the spontaneous one for the wednesday 'cause Christian couldn't make it to the official 1st on friday. Why? 'cause he had to work on Friday.

Losing weeks now. Maybe I should seriously consider detoxifying... after November!

Muskrat, at least I think I'm Muskrat... maybe I'm really someone else...
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:34 am

No need for detox for any of us Peter! I'd lost a day here or there but the worst thing is I seem to have lost a whole season. Where did the summer go?

Any news on the tasting yet - date etc?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:41 am

Nope, either Matt's very very busy or he's being rather coy about the date.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:50 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:No need for detox for any of us Peter! I'd lost a day here or there but the worst thing is I seem to have lost a whole season. Where did the summer go?

Any news on the tasting yet - date etc?

I can confirm that losing the summer had nothing to do with being intoxicated. I do not know where my summer went either, but that was long before I even started this fermented barley juice nonsense...

(Sorry my dear bottle of Ardbeg TEN, no need to get upset, I was only kidding..)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Isn't the November tasting coming up shortly? What will everyone be bringing to the table?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:01 pm

In just over an hour Ganga, any Glenlivets will do :D
Matt2

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:02 pm

Ganga wrote:Isn't the November tasting coming up shortly? What will everyone be bringing to the table?

Hi Ganga - tasting thread can be found at the top of the "tasting section" . Looking forward to seing you there :)
Have to walk my dog first though.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:17 pm

Sorry not to join in, recuperating from eating something foul last night, and even worse, no Glenlivet!!
Di Blasi

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:49 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Sorry not to join in, recuperating from eating something foul last night, and even worse, no Glenlivet!!

I think I may have had the same thing, not feeling great but the show must go on :)
It will be repeated next week and if you PM me your address there are still a few samples left which I can send out to you.
Matt2

Postby Ganga » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:37 am

Now that we've done a double shot of Glenlivet, what are the suggestions for December and/or January?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:50 pm

If we want to stay in the same stable of malts, there's always Aberlour. We could sample the 10 & 12 OBs and finish with a cross section of the A'Bunadhs.

Just thinking aloud.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Danny » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Well being new and looking at my present inventory, I have a lot of Macallan, Laddie, Talisker, HP, but am agreeable to any thing.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:18 pm

Danny wrote:Well being new and looking at my present inventory, I have a lot of Macallan, Laddie, Talisker, HP, but am agreeable to any thing.

...and being as I owe you a sampling, I could provide you with samples of whatever is in my little collection. Now we know that there's "reciprocity" between Ontario and Alberta!
Balvenie you say?...

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:30 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:If we want to stay in the same stable of malts, there's always Aberlour. We could sample the 10 & 12 OBs and finish with a cross section of the A'Bunadhs.

Just thinking aloud.

Muskrat Portage

Well let's see. I think I can trade for some of the 12 and 16. That would give me a line up of 10, 12, 16, and Batches 6 through 18. :D Do you think I should go try to find something else to fit in? :shock:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:50 am

Ok lads, have we decided that it is an Aberlour evening/afternoon? When should we attempt such an endeavor?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:19 pm

Ganga wrote:Ok lads, have we decided that it is an Aberlour evening/afternoon? When should we attempt such an endeavor?

I gotta curl Saturday and am trying to arrange a tasting with DiBlasi maybe Friday so other than that I'm up to playing with the "big boys" on the west coast.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:36 am

I have no Aberlour, and have other things on my "whisky shopping list" ahead of Aberlour, so I'll miss out on that one. Friday is looking good for Muskrat Portage's an my repeat Glenlivet tasting if others wanna join, please do!
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:55 am

This weekend is screwed up for me. I am available the following two weekends. I have no problem delaying an Aberlour tasting until after the New Years and working on something else in December.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:08 am

Di Blasi wrote:I have no Aberlour, and have other things on my "whisky shopping list" ahead of Aberlour, so I'll miss out on that one. Friday is looking good for Muskrat Portage's an my repeat Glenlivet tasting if others wanna join, please do!
As it's a "go" for us, what time do you want to start? Is 11:00 pm your time too late? I work a regular as opposed to early shift tomorrow so won't be off until 4 pm.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:23 am

Just checked with the missy and she says we may meet up with some friends later in the evening, about 10pm my time, so I won't be able to confirm til later tomorrow afternoon/evening. Okay to confirm then??
Di Blasi

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:15 am

Di Blasi wrote:Just checked with the missy and she says we may meet up with some friends later in the evening, about 10pm my time, so I won't be able to confirm til later tomorrow afternoon/evening. Okay to confirm then??
Johnathan: No problem I'll touch base to see where we stand. Saturday afternoon for me/ evening for you may be an option to pursue as well. Must keep the little missy happy!
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder