Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Live Forum Tasting

Re: Live Forum Tasting

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:38 am

OK folks, you carry on and I will sit here and have my dram when I am available later which will be around 11-12pm on Friday. Unfortunately there is no way I could make 6pm (18:00).

See you then.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Some basic notes to help in filling out your notes and postings for the live tasting. This is off the top of my head, so is by no means a definitive guide, just something I personally look for when enjoying a dram or two. As you train your palate it evolves and improves.
Musky
Single Malts Tasting Notes

Colour:
(Hold glass up to a white sheet of paper. Colour can range from; water clear through pale straw; yellow gold, deep gold; reddish gold; sherry; deep sherry; treacle dark.)

Nose:
(Cover the glass with your hand, swirl the liquid for a few moments, then keeping the glass covered, bring the glass up to the nose, lift your hand and inhale, deeply. What do you smell? Inhale a couple of times, get your nose right in the glass and inhale again. There are hundreds of olfactory organs in the nose, each tied to a specific flavour - work them. You may detect brine (iodine) floral notes (clover), smoke (peat), Nutty (Cask effect) Malt (grain) and more)

Body:
(Swirl the glass of whisky and look at the effect on the sides. Does it hang on the sides, does it flow down quickly? Body can also be detected in mouthfeel when you taste. Note the body, light, medium, heavy, long like a showgirls' legs)
(To check if the whisky is Cask strength: Cover the glass with your hand firmly, shake it a couple of times and check around the edge of the liquid for a line of bubbles - the string of pearls. If it's there, you have a CS dram)

Palate:
(Sip the dram and roll it around in your mouth, open the mouth a bit (don't spill) and inhale to bring the olfactory organs into play. What do you taste? The tongue senses 5 tastes; Sweet, salt, sour, bitter and umami. Sweetness is on the tip of the tongue; salt the front sides; sour further along the sides and bitterness in the back. Umami I'm still hunting for but I understand it was confirmed as existing in 2000. Mouthfeel will give you the body as well - thick and viscous: thin and watery. Honey, Spice, Wine (sherry), Smoke (tobacco), Iodine (medicinal), salt, Fruit (pears, apples), Floral (Heather, clover) are all basic flavours you may detect.)

Finish:
(Swallow, or spit (sigh) and what after flavours and effects do you detect? Sweetness, Salt, a hint of bitterness, spicy becoming heat, a hint of bitterness at the end?
For what length of time does the finish hang on? If it's gone quickly it's short, if it hangs around and makes itself comfortable, it's long.)
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:53 pm

That's a good description on how to do a tasting Musky!

Peter just came up with the idea of doing a "Serendipitous Tasting" tonight! Is anyone up for a live tasting at 2230 (european time) this evening? Would be fun to do our first propper live tasting!

I don't know what whiskies you have open or would like to open right now but would anything from Islay work?

Updated: The tasting will as said be at 2230 european time - give or take an hour lol / West Coast US 1330 / East Coast 1630!!! Hope I got it right.....
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm

*bump*

Had to bump this thread to remind you all that Musky's online forum tasting will take place later this evening. For details check the former post.

Cheers/Skål
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Hm....maybe I was a bit quick off the mark? Anyway, if someone's got a good idea on what to taste then please feel free to write down some suggestions and we could take it from there?

Edit/Added: Ok, so Friday is the big day then :) This was perhaps on too short a notice.
Mr Fjeld

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:08 pm

Which doesn't mean I am not going upstairs to get myself a dram. I will report back in here when I got one :)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:12 pm

K-Mile wrote:Which doesn't mean I am not going upstairs to get myself a dram. I will report back in here when I got one :)

Great :thumbsup:

This is what is in my glass right now but I'll pour whatever you are if it's in my cabinet!

Some notes:
Just poured Caol Ila DE into my glass. I love it. The colour is light yellow - but seems to be too light for someone to have bothered with the E150. The standard 12 is almost green tinted pale and I wonder if they use added colour at all at Caol Ila?
Nose is wonderful as well. Clearly winey but also the trademark smoke you find in the standard 12 year old. They seem to be integrated rather than two separate scents so the wine and smoke work flawlessly! If anything the nose hints towards a rather sweet character and in the mouth it follows up accordingly; sweet, winey, some smoke and definately oily. But they oil-like mouth covering quality of the 12 is less apparent. The sweetness resembles pickled fruit - a kind of sour sweetness? I don't find it especially peppery like the standard 12. Does anyone know the age of the Caol Ila DE - because I cannot find a "Distilled xxxx" like you will find on the Talisker DE?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:(To check if the whisky is Cask strength: Cover the glass with your hand firmly, shake it a couple of times and check around the edge of the liquid for a line of bubbles - the string of pearls. If it's there, you have a CS dram)

(Swallow, or spit (sigh) and what after flavours and effects do you detect? Sweetness, Salt, a hint of bitterness, spicy becoming heat, a hint of bitterness at the end?
For what length of time does the finish hang on? If it's gone quickly it's short, if it hangs around and makes itself comfortable, it's long.)[/color]

String of pearls is not necessarily indicative of cask strength but rather above 50%. I have had several CS bottles that were well under 50% and no string of pearls.

Spits or swallows? Sounds like you've been watching Austin Powers again. :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:19 pm

I got down with a Bowmore 1989 and 1990 vintage, Bourbon and Sherry matured, both 16 years old, limited editions.

Time to fill up my glasses...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi Guys looks like I've missed a lot of stuff over the last few days. Anyway I'm in the office the bar is open what shall I pour?

:)
les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:25 pm

Hi Les :) K-Mile brought two bottles of Bowmore to the party. I only have the 17 but I'm willing to open it if it's considered close enough?
Mr Fjeld

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:30 pm

The Bowmore 1989 Bourbon Matured, 16yo:

Color: Very light, white wine

Body: Thick beads, that slowly form into long, thin legs, that move slowly down my glass.

Nose: Very light, fresh. Appears a little fruity (apricot?). Again, white wine is what comes to mind. Some alcohol.

Palate: Instant smoke. The mouthfeel is rich, but not that oily. After the tingling of the alcohol subsides, it is hard to identify the tastes, but there are several 'layers' hidden in there.

Finish: Gets less intense really fast, but slowly lingers on for quite a while. A bit dry, and smoke. A little bit of apricot again?
Last edited by K-Mile on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Hi Les :) K-Mile brought two bottles of Bowmore to the party. I only have the 17 but I'm willing to open it if it's considered close enough?

Would be fun to compare them, they are of similar age, and I am interested if your notes are closer to the bourbon or to the sherry one's notes of me.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:35 pm

K-Mile wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:Hi Les :) K-Mile brought two bottles of Bowmore to the party. I only have the 17 but I'm willing to open it if it's considered close enough?

Would be fun to compare them, they are of similar age, and I am interested if your notes are closer to the bourbon or to the sherry one's notes of me.

Done! I'll open it right away :)
Mr Fjeld

Postby les taylor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:38 pm

okay guys I'm going to open some bowmore as well. :)
les taylor

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm

The Bowmore 1990 Sherry Matured, 16yo:

Color: Tea, dark copper.

Body: The beads are a lot smaller, and form very slowly. This one really sticks to the glass, way more than the 1989.

Nose: Heavy, fruity aroma's. dried fruit, that is.

Palate: It is very smooth, a lot less alcohol than the other one. Not that smoky, but not heavily sherried either.

Finish: There's the smoke. This one also slows down pretty fast, and then develops flowery, perfumy aroma's. Ends up a little bit dry.

Edit: Surprisingly, the sherry lingers on longer than expected.
Last edited by K-Mile on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:51 pm

My notes on Bowmore 17:
Colour is orange. If I had never tried whisky before I'd say this is the colour a whisky should have. I guess if they use artificial colouring they have found they "right amount"....
The legs form slowly but appear as thin. The Linkwood I started with had "thicker" legs.
Nose reveals smoke and a little paint-thinner. Last time I tried it I found the smoke to be a little "bacony" but right now I cannot find anything like that. Maybe it needs to breathe a little? It's also faintly "yeasty" I think. Because everyone talks about it being floral or even soapy I've tried to look for it but cannot find anything remotely like that. Again, maybe it'll benefit from being open a while first? I do find a whiff of coffee though.
Oh in the mouth it is simply fantastic!!!! The coffee is very present! And the smoke is certainly reminding me of smoked bacon. Lovely! The finish is also very long!
I'm looking forward to getting to know this one better!
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Okay, 18 minutes late but I'm here!
Muskrat
Edit:
Criminy, I've gotta run down to the Lair.... Bowmore? Darkest? Dawn? Dusk ? 17 yo?
..on my way...
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Right how life is funny I was sure I had a bottle of the 17. But I haven't that will have to be sorted. I was in duty free at lunchtime and they had the Surf and the Mariner. Which I have a bottle with the clear transfer label on which i did not want to open.

But I have just opened a Bowmore Cask Strength which is of course fantastic as usual.

I've been doing a lot of swimming this last week so i have a damp nose. But this is Lindt chocolate at it's best. Mixed with ozone I love this one.

Last edited by les taylor on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:55 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Okay, 18 minutes late but I'm here!
Muskrat
Edit:
Criminy, I've gotta run down to the Lair.... Bowmore? Darkest? Dawn? Dusk ? 17 yo?
..on my way...

I clearly messed up the time. I even used your excellent "world clock" but as I've said earlier; my math leave much to be desired.... :lol:
Mr Fjeld

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:58 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:My notes on Bowmore 17:
Colour is orange. If I had never tried whisky before I'd say this is the colour a whisky should have. I guess if they use artificial colouring they have found they "right amount"....
The legs form slowly but appear as thin. The Linkwood I started with had "thicker" legs.
Nose reveals smoke and a little paint-thinner. Last time I tried it I found the smoke to be a little "bacony" but right now I cannot find anything like that. Maybe it needs to breathe a little? It's also faintly "yeasty" I think. Because everyone talks about it being floral or even soapy I've tried to look for it but cannot find anything remotely like that. Again, maybe it'll benefit from being open a while first? I do find a whiff of coffee though.
Oh in the mouth it is simply fantastic!!!! The coffee is very present! And the smoke is certainly reminding me of smoked bacon. Lovely! The finish is also very long!
I'm looking forward to getting to know this one better!

You made me curious :) coffee and smoked bacon, sounds like a winner. I have a mini of that one (20cl) in a gift set, so I will get to it sooner or later...

A second sip of the bourbon really brings out that fruity flavor. The smokiness really hit me the first few times I tried it, but now the underlying flavors really stand out more.

Muskrat Portage wrote:Okay, 18 minutes late but I'm here!
Muskrat
Edit:
..on my way...

The Dawn, Darkest, Dusk are on the list for Friday!
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:09 pm

I don't care about the time, gladly I made it! I'm sitting at my computer with a Bowmore 17 in hand, the sun is shining with good friends near at hand - electronically- life is good! No, Great! Love this Serendipitous stuff. well done everyone!
Bowmore 17 yo
Colour: Reddish golden
Body: Legs are as stated a bit thin at first but on closer inspection, they are just hanging there, slowly drizzling down.
Nose: Sweet smoke, sherry at first scent. Iodine in the second whiff.I could hang over this glass nosing all evening.... floral notes, a hint of clover and a caramel sweetness.
Palate: Now my favorite bit - tasting! Sherry and smoke draw in and the tip of the tongue explodes with the sweetness of the malt. Clean tasting at the start then the other flavours come to the fore, especially the light smoke.
Finish: A long tingle on the middle of the tongue in conjunction with the sweetness hanging on the tip. Bacon? Yes I can see smoked bacon in the dram. Interesting note, you have a refined palate. Now you mention it, I can see it's there along with the slight astringency which reflects the coffee notes.
Peter
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:11 pm

K-Mile wrote:Would be fun to compare them, they are of similar age, and I am interested if your notes are closer to the bourbon or to the sherry one's notes of me.

That's a little strange actually, because I cannot say what dominates. I feel this one is more about being an integration of 50/50 bourbon/sherry character....
As of now I'd say nothing really sticks out - but I had a revelation or two with the linkwood which seemed light in every respect when I opened it - yet now gives away a sherry matured character every time I open the bottle (not so much in the glass though...)
Mr Fjeld

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:14 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:I don't care about the time, gladly I made it! I'm sitting at my computer with a Bowmore 17 in hand, the sun is shining with good friends near at hand - electronically- life is good! No, Great! Love this Serendipitous stuff. well done everyone!
Bowmore 17 yo
Colour: Reddish golden
Body: Legs are as stated a bit thin at first but on closer inspection, they are just hanging there, slowly drizzling down.
Nose: Sweet smoke, sherry at first scent. Iodine in the second whiff.I could hang over this glass nosing all evening.... floral notes, a hint of clover and a caramel sweetness.
Palate: Now my favorite bit - tasting!
Finish:

Good to have you here MP.

Funny, when I started today the sherry was definitely my favorite of the two. But taking my time on both, it lacks some of the 'bite' that the bourbon has. On the palate, I think the instant smokiness and fruity flavor development make a clear winner (of the bourbon, that is).

The finish of the sherried Bowmore is a little more interesting though. I like how the 'bite' is still there, but starts at swallowing instead of taking a sip.

I definitely got a new found interest in the bourbon matured Bowmore.

Mr Fjeld wrote:
K-Mile wrote:Would be fun to compare them, they are of similar age, and I am interested if your notes are closer to the bourbon or to the sherry one's notes of me.

That's a little strange actually, because I cannot say what dominates. I feel this one is more about being an integration of 50/50 bourbon/sherry character....
As of now I'd say nothing really sticks out - but I had a revelation or two with the linkwood which seemed light in every respect when I opened it - yet now gives away a sherry matured character every time I open the bottle (not so much in the glass though...)

Is it a well balanced integration of flavors, or do they cancel/cloak each other?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:16 pm

I'm sorry not to be drinking the 17. But now it's been suggested about the bacon. I thought of cheese earlier. But thought if I mentioned that you'd think I'm mad.

But the CS has definetely a cheesey bacon smell and taste which is so good in a spanish Bocca.

les taylor

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:22 pm

I feel like I am missing out! No bacon in either one of my drams, but maybe I was just too late. Two empty glasses are standing before me, but I have to work tomorrow so two drams is enough for tonight..
:sleep:

I can imagine the sherried one having some bacon, because there seems to be some bacon scent lingering in my glass... I will definitely try to remember the next time I taste this one.
Last edited by K-Mile on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:23 pm

les taylor wrote:I'm sorry not to be drinking the 17. But now it's been suggested about the bacon. I thought of cheese earlier. But thought if I mentioned that you'd think I'm mad.
But the CS has definetely a cheesey bacon smell and taste which is so good in a spanish Bocca.

Les: What else have you found in the CS? I don't own one and am intrigued to see what you are tasting and nosing. Does the cheese and bacon linger on the tongue in the finish?
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Great to see you here too Les :)

K-Mile, I'm not sure but I feel it's created to form a coherent profile more than creating two "halves" sort of. Maybe they've used more second/third-fill casks instead of the first fills which gives a lot of flavour?

Les & Musky - do you find coffee flavours at all - or am I weird?
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 pm

K-Mile wrote:I feel like I am missing out! No bacon in either one of my drams, but maybe I was just too late. Two empty glasses are standing before me, but I have to work tomorrow so two drams is enough for tonight..
:sleep:

I'm only on my first dram and am feeling quite relaxed already. I can imagine what two will do.
I just advised Joy that I'm doing a global tasting. Her response? "It's a good life!"
Peter
Les & Musky - do you find coffee flavours at all - or is it just I who am weird
?
Mr Fjeld:
Yes, now that you mentioned them, I did note the flavour of coffee something I hadn't picked up on before.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:31 pm

......coffee and/or roasted barley/chocolate malt as in an imperial stout or porter? It's not always easy to describe things as they are - but it can be easier to describe them as opposed to something. And in this case I cannot help but feel it's a litle "unlike" a Highland Park 18 - which is fabulous of course. The HP 18 is very sweet cerealy or gristy - but the Bowmore is more like "roasted gristy" if that makes any sense?
Mr Fjeld

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:35 pm

I think this live tasting tryout worked out pretty well, really nice to hear opinions on similar or the same drams from different people. It also made me more aware of my own palate, trying to discover some of the aroma's that I cannot identify myself, or are mentioned by you on the forum.
But now it's time to go to sleep :sleep:
Good idea Peter, and well done Les and Cristian as well! :thumbsup:
Last edited by K-Mile on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:35 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:......coffee and/or roasted barley/chocolate malt as in an imperial stout or porter?
That would explain it, the roasted barley! Oh darn glass is empty... refill... maybe a dark swiss chocolate? Sweet and slightly bitter at the same time.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:37 pm

K-Mile wrote:I think this live tasting tryout worked out pretty well, really nice to hear opinions on similar or the same drams from different people. It also made me more aware of my own palate, trying to discover some of the aroma's that I cannot identify myself, or are mentioned by you on the forum.
But now it's time to go to sleep :sleep:
Good idea Peter, and well done Les and Cristian as well! :thumbsup:

G'night K-Mile, glad you could be here! Looking forward to Friday night. See you in the Forums!
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 pm

I do remember the last time I had the 17 year it did have a really nice bacony nose, and very well balanced in every sense. Really delicate and smoky.
Di Blasi

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:44 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I do remember the last time I had the 17 year it did have a really nice bacony nose, and very well balanced in every sense. Really delicate and smoky.

I'd never noticed it before so am pleased that Christian brought it up. As an aside, are you able to have a dram with Ganga and I while you're here? edit and Christian (who just popped up again)!
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder