Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Live Forum Tasting

Re: Live Forum Tasting

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:47 pm

All these descriptions :!: :shock: And me with no glass. :( Oh, the agony. :headbang:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Di Blasi wrote:and very well balanced in every sense.

We so often look for the extremes such as most smoky/peaty or most "sherried" . And so often are the whiskies which speaks softly of fruit and balance left out of our quest for the extreme whiskies. Yet when one tries a Clynelish or Dalwhinnie or Bowmore 17 you end up with something that might be called a result of blenders art?

Something I just thought of; a couple of years ago I went through a bottle of Bowmore Surf. This 17 is very different. I can't think of one thing that reminds me of it - although I liked the Surf too. If I enjoyed whisky on a daily basis I wouldn't mind drinking the Surf.

Hi Ganga - you really ought to come on board :)
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:52 pm

Thanks for the notice. I am still at work for another 45 minutes but I thought I would check in to see how the tasting event worked out. Seems to work quite well. :smoke:

I need to pick up the kids Friday but will be at the computer by 3:00 PM Pacific.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:and very well balanced in every sense.

We so often look for the extremes such as most smoky/peaty or most "sherried" . And so often are the whiskies which speaks softly of fruit and balance left out of our quest for the extreme whiskies. Yet when one tries a Clynelish or Dalwhinnie or Bowmore 17 you end up with something that might be called a result of blenders art?

Hi Ganga - you really ought to come on board :)

...a Blenders art that involved 17 years. An interesting way of looking at SM, Mr. Fjeld, a well balanced Single Malt could very really be referred to as the culmination of the blenders art, considering the blending is done with the same ingredients and techniques of other distilleries. Yet, when the time comes to choose the casks for final aging and melding together for final bottling it truly does appear the work of a highly trained alchemist.

Ganga: If you've got something to dram with, please pour a glass and join in we'd delight in hearing your comments. Maybe later tonight as you're at work. If not we'll see you at 1500 Pacific, 1700 Central and 2300 GMT
Musky
edit:
DiBlasi: If you're still out there with your Caol Ila, I've PM'd that these are what I have on hand... okay downstairs in the Lair, but it's a short run down...
CAOL ILA (Sheildaig Collect'n) 11
CAOL ILA 12
CAOL ILA Cask Str 55%
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:02 am

Have to go to bed now but will definately be participating at the next opportunity. Have to work this weekend but the week after I'm game! It was great! And Peter, this was a great initiative!
:thumbsup:

Good night!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Have to go to bed now but will definately be participating at the next opportunity. Have to work this weekend but the week after I'm game! It was great! And Peter, this was a great initiative!
Good night!

Christian,
I couldn't thank you enough for jumping and getting this serendipitous tasting up and running. Thank you to everyone else who was already here ahead of me and who joined in later to watch and comment. It was like being at the same party, jumping from PM to Forum thread and back without the actual physical contact.
Thanks again everyone it was a blast!

Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:04 pm

Sorry I shut down and hit the sack early before reading this! Hope to join in next time, it was great reading all the notes!
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
K-Mile wrote:I think this live tasting tryout worked out pretty well, really nice to hear opinions on similar or the same drams from different people. It also made me more aware of my own palate, trying to discover some of the aroma's that I cannot identify myself, or are mentioned by you on the forum.
But now it's time to go to sleep :sleep:
Good idea Peter, and well done Les and Cristian as well! :thumbsup:

G'night K-Mile, glad you could be here! Looking forward to Friday night. See you in the Forums!
Peter

Sorry guys I was one who also went to bed. It had been a busy day including a 4 hour flight. But yes I did get a hint of coffee in the background as well. I'm looking forward to the next time.

What will be the bottle of choice?

:)
les taylor

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Les, here's an anotated version of an earlier post on the thread, setting out the timing and drams, generally Islands SM this time around. I'll line up my bottles tonight before bedtime so I can kick in as soon as I get home at noon (yes, that's 1800 hrs GMT) I may need a nap after the first round!
Please note that Matt has set up a special thread for us to go to Friday which is locked until the proposed start.
Muskrat Portage wrote: ... I'm proposing to set up a Live Tasting on Friday Oct 12, at 6pm (1800 hrs GMT) ...

At 1800 GMT, I propose a welcoming dram - the Balvenie 12 Doublewood
... (at 1815 GMT) the tasting would "officially" start.

HP 12 then follow up with
Bowmore (Dusk/ Dawn/ Darkest) (one or all whichever you have)
Bowmore 12 and 17 yo
Ardbeg 10;
Laphroiag QC
Laggie 16 yo.
If someone has a different bottle from the same distillery, they could post their comments on it and we vicariously make note of the similarities and differences. After that, it would be open to whatever anyone else wanted to sample.

...A second tasting start at 2400 hrs GMT, being 1800 in Wooden Lake, and 1600 in California.
Again the same format a welcoming dram until several people are online, starting tasting at 0015hrs GMT
Muskrat

See you there! I'm off to work!
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:00 pm

I came home yesterday to find my home computer not running. :cry: I'll see if I can get it fixed before tomorrow after noon. :headbang: I may need a bigger hammer. :wink:

Later...

Argh! I won't have the 'puter back before tomorrow's tasting. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:18 am

Ganga:
There are actually two times tomorrow so if you can't make the first, maybe you'll make the second? In the alternative, once your home 'puter is working we can set up a "serendipitous" tasting if you want on Saturday.
Muskrat
edit:
Okay, my notes for tomorrow are printed off, my whisky is sitting by the computer and I'm off to Karate. See you all tomorrow at 1800 hrs GMT (6 pm in Greenwich)... or 2400 GMT
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Enjoy your tasting tonight :thumbsup: Nice banner on top of page Matt - and the BBCode too!

Looking forward to reading all your notes in the "tastingblog" :)

Cheers/Skål
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby les taylor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:30 pm

Sorry guy's I'm going to have to miss this one. I have an appointment in town at 7.30. Drink will not be taken before it. That would be very bad form. I hope it goes well and will catch up with the notes later. :(
les taylor

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:06 pm

12:04 my time, Balvenie 12 yo in hand, clock is ticking 10 minutes to go!
Muskrat
edit:
Live Forum tasting is at this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6988

..if you are looking for it.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:26 am

...and it being 6 pm here, 2400 GMT the second installment for those who missed the first one is nowon page three, here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6988&p=106587#p106587

It was a great experience this afternoon, hope you can make it by. The Bar is open!
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:44 pm

The first Live tasting went off wonderfully, at least I think so, with plenty of input from forummers in most of the Western hemisphere. I personally picked up some new nuances in regular standby whiskies that I'd owned for years. I also "met" some new people who are going to be a strong asset to the online whisky community.(MrIntrepid and GregB) Welcome aboard!
All in all an excellent time... too bad I finally had to sleep!
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:28 pm

It was great to follow your last tasting session. The format where you could open a link which covered the whole window instead of the standard "thread" was a very good invention. It worked fine for a while but as soon as the tasting evolved into 2 and 3 pages it wasn't possible anymore? Matt, would it be possible to fix it so we could have an "infinite page" or something?

Cheers!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:36 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:It was great to follow your last tasting session. The format where you could open a link which covered the whole window instead of the standard "thread" was a very good invention. It worked fine for a while but as soon as the tasting evolved into 2 and 3 pages it wasn't possible anymore? Matt, would it be possible to fix it so we could have an "infinite page" or something?

Cheers!
Christian

That's true! Once you moved to another page, the new format was gone. A solution to this, for future tastings (if Matt doesn't have any more great surprises for us before that ;)) is to look in the address bar of the page. There is a bit like 'viewtopic.php' that should be changed into 'viewtopic2.php'. The rest is to remain intact. This will bring up the alternate layout for the current page, so even if you are at page 2 or 3 you still get the new layout. When you move from or back to the page, just add the '2' again and you're good to go.

As far as I know this was a temporary page, so I am sure it will get better as we get more of these live tastings (and we should).

Thanks for bringing this up. This way, Matt can try and figure it out and we all benefit!
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:13 pm

Really love to get involved in this guys but just don't have the time at the moment.... If this is still going in the new year then I'll join in....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:28 pm

I'm guessing this is just getting started, and hope to see regularly scheduled live tastings a few a week for all to enjoy...
Di Blasi

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Yes, Mr Fjeld and I are working on a second one this Friday, after which I'd be interested on some input on when tasting should be scheduled. I'm thinking a 3 week schedule alternating between Fridays and Saturdays might work. That would allow for 17 tastings a year and showcase a nice variety of distilleries.

I'd also like to see other forummers "host" the Live tasting to spread the weight around and to ensure the continuity of the tasting as a feature of the WM forums.
In this manner someone like Admiral could host from Australia, K-Mile in Amsterdam, as well as forummers in India, South America, the USA... you get the idea. If they started the tasting at 1600-1700 their time, the rest of us would be able to choose whether to attend or not.

Waking up at 4 am to drink doesn't sound so bad now does it? A possible consideration is to divide the globe into 3 regions of 8 hours each segment, at some point everyone would be able to have a tasting at close to reasonable dramming hours.
1) GMT + 1 hr (Amsterdam) would cover the UK, Ireland, Scandinavia, EU, some of Russia, Africa and the Balkans;
2) GMT + 9 hours (Western Australia) would cover India, China, Malasia, ANZAC, Japan and more of central Siberian area;
3) GMT- 7 hours (Calgary/Edmonton)would cover North America, South America, Greenland and St Pierre et Miquelon.
Looking forward to hearing comments from everyone.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:52 pm

MP that sounds fair. That way we could all taking it in turns to drink at unsocial hours. :)

I don't know what Mrs Les will say.
les taylor

Postby K-Mile » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:46 am

MP that sounds like a great idea. I would be more than happy to share the load to pull these off. I could try and arrange the 'Amsterdam' sessions whenever possible. Maybe Christian and I could help each other out, since we're in the same time zone.

Maybe 'assigning' sessions to users gives a sense of responsibility, and prevents the tastings from disappearing because nobody stepped up to make them happen.

If one or two users take the arrangements (Matt could help out here by opening/locking topics, and setting up other forum stuff) for each session we can count on some smooth going tastings.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:16 am

K-Mile wrote:MP that sounds like a great idea. I would be more than happy to share the load to pull these off. I could try and arrange the 'Amsterdam' sessions whenever possible. Maybe Christian and I could help each other out, since we're in the same time zone.

Great idea :thumbsup: K-Mile and I will be there at .......what time? .....and make sure the tasting proceeds as planned. I know Peter have received a suggestion or two about what to taste but it would be great if the suggestions poured in into his inbox or maybe even here?
Maybe 'assigning' sessions to users gives a sense of responsibility, and prevents the tastings from disappearing because nobody stepped up to make them happen.

Good idea!
If one or two users take the arrangements (Matt could help out here by opening/locking topics, and setting up other forum stuff) for each session we can count on some smooth going tastings.

Also a good idea. I was also wondering about the possibility of making a separate section for tasting threads? That way each online tasting could be assigned its own thread with date etc.and Matt could lock the thread when it was over. Would be handy for later amusement when going through all the madness :lol:
Mr Fjeld

Re: Live Forum Tasting discussion

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:09 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Also a good idea. I was also wondering about the possibility of making a separate section for tasting threads? That way each online tasting could be assigned its own thread with date etc.and Matt could lock the thread when it was over. Would be handy for later amusement when going through all the madness

Mr Fjeld, my esteemed colleague:
That would be great, if Matt had the time to set up a new thread all the time. He may not always be able to, so would it be better to set up a Topic for say a year instead? That would allow us 12 to 17 tastings per year in each Topic. On an average of 2.5 pages per tasting, we'd have 30 to 43 pages in the topic after a year...ouch!

It's basically up to Matt, as personally I agree Christian, I'd love to have a Topic for every tasting to go back through. I just don't want to burden Matt with more responsibilties that he already has.

Matt? Are you out there? Whaddaya think?

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Live Forum Tasting discussion

Postby K-Mile » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:53 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:Also a good idea. I was also wondering about the possibility of making a separate section for tasting threads? That way each online tasting could be assigned its own thread with date etc.and Matt could lock the thread when it was over. Would be handy for later amusement when going through all the madness

Mr Fjeld, my esteemed colleague:
That would be great, if Matt had the time to set up a new thread all the time. He may not always be able to, so would it be better to set up a Topic for say a year instead? That would allow us 12 to 17 tastings per year in each Topic. On an average of 2.5 pages per tasting, we'd have 30 to 43 pages in the topic after a year...ouch!

It's basically up to Matt, as personally I agree Christian, I'd love to have a Topic for every tasting to go back through. I just don't want to burden Matt with more responsibilties that he already has.

Matt? Are you out there? Whaddaya think?

Muskrat

I already PM'd Matt about this yesterday, with some ideas on this subject. Haven't got an answer though...

Matt, you still there? Check your inbox for a couple of PM's from me :angel:

I think we could create a topic for suggestions for a session and the session itself. No other topics allowed in the forum?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:34 am

Leave me alone, trying to catch up with some :sleep: in the server room!

Just joking :mrgreen:

Let me know what and when and I will setup a new topic and do another banner ad for it, maybe even send some spam out about it. I will try and do a bit of work on the topic viewer / live tasting viewer / tasting bbcode this week.

I think as this progresses you will be able to organise them but for now I will act as the live tasting organiser, and of course join in when ever I can.

So whats the plan for the next? Date / time / whiskies?

Matt2

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10 pm

Matt Page wrote:Leave me alone, trying to catch up with some :sleep: in the server room!

Let me know what and when and I will setup a new topic and do another banner ad for it, maybe even send some spam out about it. I will try and do a bit of work on the topic viewer / live tasting viewer / tasting bbcode this week.

I think as this progresses you will be able to organise them but for now I will act as the live tasting organiser, and of course join in when ever I can.

I have a feeling Matt has many more arms and hands than normal, and many computers for them to play and work with. Am I right Matt? And do you sleep? :o
Di Blasi

Postby Matt2 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:56 pm

Its all good, stops me from getting bored :D
Matt2

Postby K-Mile » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Matt Page wrote:Leave me alone, trying to catch up with some :sleep: in the server room!

Great Matt! Never meant to pressure you. If you can continue to help us out getting the topics up and running, great, but please also join in for a dram or two, I mean, three, or four, or well, you get the point ;)

I am sure we'll get a schedule out soon.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:52 am

Matt, octopus?? I'm thinking Cuckoo birdie!!! Good work Matt, keep it up!! :P
Di Blasi

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Oh goody, a purple octopus, somehow I envisioned you as somewhat taller! :D
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:44 pm

I've seen Matt's urban boots. He only showed 2 of them though. If only we knew at time he wore 4 pairs a day. What respect for that.

8)
les taylor

Re: Live Forum Tasting II

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:57 pm

Talisker Distillery Live Tasting.
The details for this tasting of offerings from Skye:
Date: Friday October 19, 2007
Time: 1200 hrs Pacific GMT+8
1400 hrs Winnipeg GMT+5(+DST =6)
2000 hrs GMT
2100 hrs Norway/Nederlands/Germany GMT-1
0100 hrs Saturday India GMT- 5
0400- 0600 Saturday Australia GMT-8,-9,-10
0500 hrs Saturday Japan GMT-9
0800 hrs Saturday NZ GMT-12
Duration: 3 hours (estimated)
Whiskies: Talisker
Starting off dram: Talisker 18
Subsequent dram(s): Talisker 10 yo
Other DE's, IB's or OB's you may personally have available.

This will be a tasting of the Talisker distillery offerings, starting with the 18 yo and then opening up to other bottlings you may have. I personally have a Talisker 10 yo and a Distillers Edition (1986) in the lair to sample myself. I'll try to acquire an 18 before Friday.

I've taken a quick gander at the Talisker selection in WM and there's around 8 that have been sampled in their whisky pages, although I know more are out there.

Does this work for you? If so mark it on your calendar and set your alarm. We will follow the same protocol as before... Logging on at the specified time and waiting 15 minutes for anyone who's been delayed before starting. Please use the BBCode for your initial tasting notes. I understand that Matt will be setting up a new thread for this tasting, as was done for the first. Look for us there on Friday.

If someone out there would like to take a shot at hosting a second tasting later on Saturday at a more amenable time for the Pacific rim, please let Matt know. I'd be happy to set my alarm for that!

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:30 pm

What time will the tasting finish up? Can we leave it open for us Pacificinos to add something in the evening? I have the DE and the 175th available.
Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder