Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Coming Soon - The Glenlivet Forum Tasting :Update 20-10-2007

Coming Soon - The Glenlivet Forum Tasting :Update 20-10-2007

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:25 pm

We are now planning a 'big' live forum tasting of The Glenlivet for sometime in mid November. Probably looking at Friday 23rd November.

The Whiskies
I think the core range will be as follows, but you can of course bring anything you have...

• The Glenlivet 12 Years Old
  • The Glenlivet 15 Years Old French Oak Reserve
  • The Glenlivet 18 Years Old
  • The Glenlivet Nadurra*

Date and Time
I think it will be on either: (the time is a start time, but people can join in at any time after this)

• Friday 16th November 7:00pm GMT
  • Friday 23rd November 7:00pm GMT

Special guest
Ian Logan - The Glenlivet International Brand Ambassador

For those of you who do not know what these are about they run for generally 12+ hours and we all sit down (at various times) to taste a range of whiskies and share our notes and comments on the forum. Here are the first and second attempts so you can see what happens.

They are a great way to meet people on the forum, chat about your experiences and learn something new about the whiskies you have, and we all end up having a good time.

If you would like to take part in The Glenlivet tasting then please post a reply to this topic with the following details :

• Your location - where you are in the world.
  • Dates, times or days you would be able to take part - target date is sometime in the middle of November. If you post times please state what timezone you are in.
  • Glenlivets you have to hand that you could taste and comment on.
  • Glenlivets that you could maybe get hold of.
  • Glenlivets that you would be happy to share with local members by sending them a small sample.
  • Please make it clear what ones you have, could have and could share.
  • Any comments, suggestions or ideas you have, such as food combinations.

Don't worry if you haven't got any Glenlivets and want to take part, we can arrange for some to be sent out and other local friendly forum members maybe able to help you.

Once it is up and running anyone can of course join in on the day (or night).

:thumbsup:

And don't forget tonights (19th Oct) Talisker tasting here
Matt2

Re: Coming Soon - The Glenlivet Live Forum Tasting

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:04 am

Great idea!

I have two complications, so I'll see what other members think and then I will try to fit in. First is that I am scheduled to move into my new house around that period, and there is a lot of work to be done before it's ready. So I'll probably be painting and working a lot during the nights. Second is that I don't have any Glenlivet's (yet!), but am willing to buy and possibly share if needed.

I'll try to acquire some of them, and see if I fit in. The date doesn't matter much, but I am happy to start any night after 6pm GMT, when possible.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Re: Coming Soon - The Glenlivet Live Forum Tasting

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:27 am

Matt
I'm unavailable November 2 simply because I'm hosting a whisky tasting in my home for the Usquebach Tasters Association of Wooden Lake. Other than that Friday I'm pretty much ready willing and able to show up any other Friday or Saturday.

I've only two Glenlivets, the 12 yo and the 12 yo French Limousin Oak to sample and no plans to acquire anything else until after the Association tasting.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Coming Soon - The Glenlivet Forum Tasting :Update 20-10-2007

Postby Matt2 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Posted a few updates in the main post above.....

Not to worry K-Mile, sorting out the samples so you won't miss out, although you may have to go and nose in the garden to get away from the smell of fresh paint :wink:

And Peter, could get your 'perfume' and 'urine' samples sent out :)

Any other takers, just post if you are interested and we can sort the details as we go, need to get an idea of numbers.
Matt2

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:00 am

I'd love to take part in this! Friday the 16'th would fit my schedule as I'm off work that day. No such luck on the 23'd though.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Matt Page wrote:Not to worry K-Mile, sorting out the samples so you won't miss out, although you may have to go and nose in the garden to get away from the smell of fresh paint :wink:

I wish I had a garden :)

I'll be alright, I am sure I can find a spot somewhere that I can have a nice dram. Just have to see how far my wireless internet will take me ;)

Like I said, if my financial position allows it I would be more than happy to buy one or two bottles of The Glenlivet (not the 30yo's, mind you :P) and send out a few 5cl's to fellow forummers in the neighborhood.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Morrisons has reduced Glenlivet 12 by £8.00, to £15.98
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 pm

Matt:
I pick the 16th if'n I gets a choice. I would be delighted to have the opportunity to dram online with the redoubtable Mr. Fjeld yet again! ...and of course with everyone else on the forums who loves to share their whisky tasting experiences online.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Matt,

16th or 23rd for me... either will work. trying to chase down some Nadurra then ready to go.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:23 am

I am currently looking at the 16yo CS, and perhaps the signatory 12yo.

Although the 21yo 'Archive' also looks interesting. Or the 18... decisions, decisions, decisions... The prices on these seem very reasonable at RMW, haven't checked my local shop yet.

Will definitely try to stop painting for an hour or two to try some of these drams... ;)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:27 am

K-Mile"
That's it, I'm emigrating to Amsterdam! I should be able to fit right in, being 6'3". Sounds like a lovely selection to choose from, it will be a memorable tasting in November!

Looks like we're onto a good thing here, my friend!

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:41 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:K-Mile"
That's it, I'm emigrating to Amsterdam! I should be able to fit right in, being 6'3". Sounds like a lovely selection to choose from, it will be a memorable tasting in November!

Looks like we're onto a good thing here, my friend!

Muskrat

You're more than welcome, as long as you know how to hold a paint roller or how to get my floor in ;)

From the one's I mentioned, I think I'll try and get the 16yo, since that is, according to this site, quite different from what I've had so far. I will pick up a bottle of the 12yo if I can find it since it can't set me back that much. I am still thinkin about the 18yo or 21yo. The 18 appears to be a little bit more peated, and the 21 is heavier on the sherry. Any thoughts? (Haven't tried any of them so far).
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:01 am

Also spake K-Mile wrote:You're more than welcome, as long as you know how to hold a paint roller or how to get my floor in
From the one's I mentioned, I think I'll try and get the 16yo, ... a bottle of the 12yo ...the 18yo or 21yo. The 18 appears to be a little bit more peated, and the 21 is heavier on the sherry. Any thoughts? (Haven't tried any of them so far).

K-Mile, I just finished renovating my house, including gyprocking, painting, installing laminate and linoleum flooring and a new kitchen and bathroom. I think I could be of some use...
I vaguely remember trying the 18 yo but have no notes in my tasting log. I think it was at one of the early Pipe Band sponsored tastings, before I retained my notes.

Sorry I can't be of help on this decision.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:06 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:K-Mile, I just finished renovating my house, including gyprocking, painting, installing laminate and linoleum flooring and a new kitchen and bathroom. I think I could be of some use...
I vaguely remember trying the 18 yo but have no notes in my tasting log. I think it was at one of the early Pipe Band sponsored tastings, before I retained my notes.

Sorry I can't be of help on this decision.
Muskrat

I am sure you can make up for losing your notes ;) if you decide to come over sometimes. Sounds like you know your way around a toolbox.

I will think about it for just a while, noticed that I can't find the 16yo CS just yet. If this is the case, I will order the 18 and 21 from RMW to be in time for the tasting. Otherwise, well, we'll see...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:43 am

Well, I'm taking a chance on the 16'th and have ordered a 15yo French Oak so I have at least one to bring to the party. I'll be more than happy to share/swap samples. Norwegian Perfume and Potato Juice have travelled around the world before so hopefully it'll work again!
Mr Fjeld

Postby les taylor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:48 am

Mr Fjeld I love that. Everybody knows of the world famous Norwegian perfume and potato juice.

:lol: :lol:
les taylor

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:32 pm

I just found myself a Nadurra 16yo Cask Strength. So my first Glenlivet is waiting for the tasting... Price was very reasonable at 50 euro's, so I expect to add another bottle to my lineup...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:08 am

Checked the LCBO website, this is what's out there in varying degrees...

THE GLENLIVET 12 YEAR OLD IN LEATHER BOX** | 750 mL | $ 45.65
THE GLENLIVET 12 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALT* | 1140 mL | $ 58.95
THE GLENLIVET 12 YR OLD 750 mL | $ 40.45
THE GLENLIVET 15 YEAR OLD IN LEATHER BOX** 750 mL $ 62.95
THE GLENLIVET 18 YR OLD 750 mL | $ 91.45
THE GLENLIVET ARCHIVE 21 YEAR OLD SCOTCH* 750 mL $ 149.95
THE GLENLIVET FRENCH OAK 15 YR 750 mL | $ 61.45
...meaning they are available in different parts of the Province. Acquisition means tracking one down at an outlet that's willing to ship up here.

No Nadurra out there as yet.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:woah, so if I have no glenlivets at all, forum members will ship me samples?!

I recently had glenlivet nadurra for a friday night dinner at someones house. most people I know and go to for meals MAYBE put some wine out but this guy, he put out some great scotches and his wife was so nervous the whole time, wondering if he was making a bad impression. I calmed her down and told her this was my dream meal. he said to her they had found the perfect guest!
anyway, he keeps his nadurra in the fridge. he said it's too strong for him but he won't put water in it so he keeps it in the fridge because it tastes better cold. hey, his scotch, his rules- I had no problem with that!
a pretty good scotch and the first one I tried that strong.

Well, Live Tastings are not the same as free booze ;) but yes, I'd say that some here are more than willing to help a fellow member out.

Great to have friends who serve a decent malt at dinner. I haven't met any yet... Might try to do that myself sometimes, match the whisky with the food, and see how friends respond.

I just completed my list for the tasting: I picked up a 12yo and a 18yo (both litre bottles) of The Glenlivet, so I have the following lineup:

• The Glenlivet 12yo
  • The Glenlivet 16yo 'Nadurra' Cask Strength
  • The Glenlivet 18yo

I don't think I'l get the 21yo 'Archive', because the above cost me just over 100 euro, and the 21yo costs about the same!

And one last thing: I don't know if we have an approximation on the date yet, but November 9 would be a bad idea as this is Whisky Live Leiden... I think we are aiming at the weeks after that, but I just wanted to point this out.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:59 pm

K-Mile roughly £70 for those 3 bottles litre size is a blinding result. Can you get a 15 year old French Oak finish where you are. It's about £28 here in the UK. A good solid and interesting dram.

:)
les taylor

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:03 am

les taylor wrote:K-Mile roughly £70 for those 3 bottles litre size is a blinding result. Can you get a 15 year old French Oak finish where you are. It's about £28 here in the UK. A good solid and interesting dram.

The Nadurra is a 70cl, but still, I agree 8)

The French Oak was a little bit harder to find, but let me get my notes (I didn't buy it, but I write down what I come across, and where I found it)..

Ok, got it:

The price is about the same here, but it is a lot harder to find. I only found one store that had it for the same price, maybe a pound or two less.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:20 am

What's the status on this tasting? Do we have a schedule yet?

I have these lined up for me, so I am really eager to try them :P

ImageImageImageImage
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Ok, I think this may be run twice on the 16th and 23rd so everyone can get online for at least one of them...

Ian Logan - International Brand Ambassador for The Glenlivet will also be joining in with one of the sessions, so it should be a good evening for all.

Please send me a Private Message with your name and postal address if you would like samples of the whiskies. I need to get these going out very soon so please be quick.

Matt2

Postby K-Mile » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Great! I think I'll be with the 23rd session, but that depends on the actual date I can start moving my stuff. The 16th is the day I am supposed to get the key to my new place, but when that's delayed until the week after I'll be there on the 16th.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Danny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:09 am

Will try and make one of the dates. Have company from out of town on both the 16th and 23rd, but I hope to get in some place during the 12 hour period.

I will have a 12 year, 15 year French Oak and an 18 year old.

Hope to be there.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:06 am

Looking forward to see you guys at the 16'th and will bring my Glenlivet 15 French Oak!
Mr Fjeld

Postby K-Mile » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:13 am

LSD, you can always buy another bottle as a present, just join in :D

I will try and be online one or both nights.. I definitely don't want to miss the fun, and might try two expressions the first night, and the two others the second night. Maybe start out with the 12 and 18, as 'signature' expressions, and then the next week move on to the Nadurra and 21 as somewhat more special releases.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:07 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:I would say the 18 is more "special" than the nadurra (16). I would go 12 and 16 the first night and 18 and 21 the next night. this also allows you to better compare the older aged bottles.

Thanks, I'll think about that. With special I meant that the 18 is their flagship dram (price/quality wise), and the 16 has a 'twist' to it: Cask Strength. (The twist on the 21yo is that it's expensive ;))

But I agree the age division might be better to compare them H2H.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:11 am

So,
1) the 16th at around what time in Greenwich... 7 pm, right? (2 pm T.O., 1 pm Winnipeg, 12 noon Calgary, 11am Pacific, 2:30pm in Nfld)

2)Ian Logan will be available at that time, or earlier? I can be there for 6 pm GMT if I push it from work.

3) How about the rest of us...
Christian? K-Mile? Danny? Ganga and Perturbed mikey? Les? The Fachon? Oldrip? Mr Intrepid? Gordon aka Spirit of Islay? C_I? S'tan? LawSchool? Matt?

4) anyone else? ... Wendy? Sherried Malt? Bruce? Frodo? Harry? ???

...queried a wondering Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 am

Morning Musky, I shall be around and popping in and out during the evening. I still don't know how this live function works yet. I found the only way to follow it was through the normal posting or refrshing the topic. Maybe I'll learn something new tomorrow as well. I have my bottles ready.

les taylor

Postby Ian Logan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:18 am

Morning all,

I will be around from 7pm UK time tomorrow night and also for next week too.
I'm really looking forward to it, not sure what to expect but should be fun.
Any questions welcome as long as its whisky. Politics, money and women..... forget it!!!!!

Ian
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:04 pm

I will be starting it off around 6pm GMT, hopefully fixed some of the live tasting issues with postings and bbcode. Should be a good one and looking forward to it.

Matt2

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Well done Matt lets hope it all works well. I'm looking forward to it.

Also welcome to the forums Ian it's really nice to have you here for this extravaganza.

les taylor

Postby The Fachan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:54 pm

Dont know if I will be around, hopefully one or two surprises in store.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:29 pm

I will get my keys to my new appartment tomorrow, so I won't be around the entire evening.. I will definitely chime in with notes on the 12yo and Nadurra, and looking forward to your notes as well.

Not sure what time, though, and I will definitely be around next week.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Next

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder